ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32

Keep in mind that athletes are now free to transfer without penalty. That may change the calculus.

Good point, that's a pretty big unknown. Right now it seems like impact transfers only happen for a few reasons - homesick (Suriano), blocked (Meredith), program canceled/having issues (Geo), or wrestler having issues (Chance). Maybe the new rule will lead to more guys just looking for a better opportunity, like Micic.

Got a question about flexibility if you happen to know...can scholarships be adjusted from year to year if agreed to? Hypothetically, let's say you have 2 guys named wrestler A and wrestler B that each get 50%. If you have unused $ available, could you bump both guys to 80% in 2019-2020 provided they agree to 30% in 2020-2021? Basically each guy would gain 10% and the team would gain flexibility for the future.

Good point, that's a pretty big unknown. Right now it seems like impact transfers only happen for a few reasons - homesick (Suriano), blocked (Meredith), program canceled/having issues (Geo), or wrestler having issues (Chance). Maybe the new rule will lead to more guys just looking for a better opportunity, like Micic.

Got a question about flexibility if you happen to know...can scholarships be adjusted from year to year if agreed to? Hypothetically, let's say you have 2 guys named wrestler A and wrestler B that each get 50%. If you have unused $ available, could you bump both guys to 80% in 2019-2020 provided they agree to 30% in 2020-2021? Basically each guy gains 10% and the team gains flexibility for the future.
I have heard that scholarships can be changed by the year, but no direct knowledge. Your idea seems feasible if that is the case. Might as well use it as it won't carry over.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I'm no scholarship expert, but as near as I can tell it should be permitted. If Oklahoma State is using one-year scholarships, this is an easy thing to do as you can technically reduce or increase scholarships between years for any reason. If they are granting multi-year scholarships, an agreement like this does not fit any of the usual reasons to reduce a scholarship during the term of its award. However, the rulebook specifically states you can vary the amount each year in the original agreement (for example 50% in year one, none in year two, 25% in year 3). I'm just not sure what it takes to alter that agreement after the fact.

The other interesting rule I noticed was that if you grant aid after the start of the school year, you can have it apply retroactively. So, if at some point you realize you had extra money for the year and the school is ok with it, you could disperse that amount somehow. Again, there are probably minutiae around changing the agreements, but I doubt giving more aid than originally agreed upon is an issue as long as you don't exceed 9.9.

Got a question about flexibility if you happen to know...can scholarships be adjusted from year to year if agreed to? Hypothetically, let's say you have 2 guys named wrestler A and wrestler B that each get 50%. If you have unused $ available, could you bump both guys to 80% in 2019-2020 provided they agree to 30% in 2020-2021? Basically each guy would gain 10% and the team would gain flexibility for the future.
This could be a good thing with out of state tuition by giving Montalvo and Whitlake more aid this year and next year less but they would likely be in state tuition. I do not know Oklahoma in state and outstate tuition facts. Opening up as much money as possible for 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes seems vital to me if we are going to win a title in the next 5 years. The training center and our facilities hopefully next year look much better than compared to this year also.

I'm no scholarship expert, but as near as I can tell it should be permitted. If Oklahoma State is using one-year scholarships, this is an easy thing to do as you can technically reduce or increase scholarships between years for any reason. If they are granting multi-year scholarships, an agreement like this does not fit any of the usual reasons to reduce a scholarship during the term of its award. However, the rulebook specifically states you can vary the amount each year in the original agreement (for example 50% in year one, none in year two, 25% in year 3). I'm just not sure what it takes to alter that agreement after the fact.

The other interesting rule I noticed was that if you grant aid after the start of the school year, you can have it apply retroactively. So, if at some point you realize you had extra money for the year and the school is ok with it, you could disperse that amount somehow. Again, there are probably minutiae around changing the agreements, but I doubt giving more aid than originally agreed upon is an issue as long as you don't exceed 9.9.

Good info, thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT