ADVERTISEMENT

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi [RT: 91%]

I don’t think Rey flips. I think she is Luke’s daughter.

They’ve really kept a tight lid on the plot. Have no idea where Rian Johnson will take this movie. He must’ve done a great job since Disney gave him the reigns for the next trilogy.

Reactions: Winston Havelock
The folks who saw the premier last night are giving rave reviews. Calling it the best SW movie since Empire. I can’t get the link to work, but there is an article about this on USA Today.

@Ostate4life's movie poster theory better be trash or this will be the last SW movie for me.

The USA Today link at least implies that the poster theory is bunk - I would expect very different reactions otherwise.

@Ostate4life's movie poster theory better be trash or this will be the last SW movie for me.

The USA Today link at least implies that the poster theory is bunk - I would expect very different reactions otherwise.

Depends on how it’s written. It can be done well and with depth but if it happens it will likely be rushed and poorly written. Lukebis obviously very jaded from the previews which could make him a “gray” Jedi and could really be interesting

From Hamill last month in an interview with a Disney magazine:

"He hasn't gone to the dark side. This isn't an evil version of him."

While a full on trip to the Dark side is certainly not likely, a confused and tormented Luke could in theory become the 'villain' by virtue of his misguided efforts.

Not saying that's likely and I hope they don't go far down that path if they explore it.

I've always thought Luke as a character was never fully developed... As well as never fully matured into a self aware and wiser person, let alone Jedi. I am hoping this story shows him finally becoming what he's capable of - and perhaps delving into the difficult concept of what true balance in the force really looks like and what that means for Luke.

* I realize some would say Luke truly reached his potential at the end of RotJ, but I respectfully disagree. :)

Reactions: MegaPoke
FairImaginativeHydatidtapeworm-max-1mb.gif

I saw it last night and I enjoyed it. It definitely felt more Space Balls than Star Wars at times, but I can overlook that because there were a lot of things that were really good about it. I think the hardcore nerds will not like it because it breaks away from the mold quite a bit, and requires a lot of logical leaps even for Star Wars, but I'd say it was a solid B.

Entertaining.

I thought the gags were overdone but there were some good payoff moments throughout, especially IMHO the final confrontation between two key characters.

There was some dialog and some acting that I thought was a bit amateurish. There were some things that didn't make much sense - A key character's near death experience had several 'wut?' moments for me; a key part of the story in the latter part of the movie was based on a 'secret' kept by one character that seemed to exist only to justify the plot - there were other small nitpicks but in general the overall entertainment value made them incidental at best.

The most interesting thing to me is that the ending leaves the door wide open regarding where they go next. There's also the much talked about challenge of dealing with Carrie Fisher's death, so I think the next one will be full of surprises.

Reactions: Been Jammin
So this comes out on blu-ray in like a week and a half.. only saw it once in theaters. Wonder if i will think differently of it this time around?

I really enjoyed it but I also didn't grow up on the original movies.

Too bad we can't seem to get original storylines anymore.....or in this case take it in a logical but original direction

On the other hand history does repeat itself

Documentaries on the Blu-ray were fun.

Mark Hammil’s reaction when he cane on set and Frank Oz was practicing lines with his hand in the puppet was cool.

Also shot of filming the last scene with him and Carrie Fisher...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT