ADVERTISEMENT

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Yeah I’ll wait until real reviews come out before getting excited at all. A bunch of reactions from The Last Jedi were really, really good. Remember seeing one saying it was possibly the best SW movie ever.

The latest installment of the series has received positive reviews from 57% of critics tracked by aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Only “Phantom Menace,” released in 1999, received a worse rating -- at 53%. While the site is still compiling reviews, it’s already posted 116, including from 36 top critics at news organizations.

Commentators who found the film underwhelming pointed to a number of problems: It answered some of the same questions and themes of past movies, according to the British Broadcasting Corp.’s Nicholas Barber; it was dull, according to Joshua Rothkopf of Time Out; and Entertainment Weekly’s Darren Franich called it a “zombie.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...ce-e2-80-98phantom-menace-e2-80-99/ar-BBY6WML

Reactions: Been Jammin
The latest installment of the series has received positive reviews from 57% of critics tracked by aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Only “Phantom Menace,” released in 1999, received a worse rating -- at 53%. While the site is still compiling reviews, it’s already posted 116, including from 36 top critics at news organizations.

Commentators who found the film underwhelming pointed to a number of problems: It answered some of the same questions and themes of past movies, according to the British Broadcasting Corp.’s Nicholas Barber; it was dull, according to Joshua Rothkopf of Time Out; and Entertainment Weekly’s Darren Franich called it a “zombie.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...ce-e2-80-98phantom-menace-e2-80-99/ar-BBY6WML
It’s a shame what’s happened to this series. Especially since they are “ending” it. Wish they had never restarted it.

Generally, I have not agreed with movie critics regarding the last 5 movies. I’ll take that with a grain of salt.

This makes me feel better about going to see the movie. The Last Jedi was 99% RT by mostly clueless reviewers that want all of their SJW tokens included in every movie.

This new one also has two ugly lezbos kissing each other at some point.

Freaking Disney. Ruining the franchise. Just like they're about to ruin the Marvel Universe with more SJW cues.

Just got back. It was good and sadly had to speed things up to make up for the last one.

It didn't feel very long while not great it was very solid movie and had a pretty satisfying to the saga.

I just saw it and agree with this review. It's pretty good considering the garbage that came before it.

Very good movie. Most enjoyable of this trilogy and it’s not close to me; Force Awakens was a polished up New Hope

Disney should’ve just let JJ Abrams do all 3

This is one I can’t wait to watch again. Love how they wrapped things up.. very satisfying.

Some of the best action sequences in Star Wars

Very good movie. Most enjoyable of this trilogy and it’s not close to me; Force Awakens was a polished up New Hope

Disney should’ve just let JJ Abrams do all 3

This is one I can’t wait to watch again. Love how they wrapped things up.. very satisfying.

Some of the best action sequences in Star Wars
I agree it would have been very interesting to see how it turned out had Abrams done them all. Felt like Johnson threw a wrench in the story with the Last Jedi.

The three individually feel very disjointed except for the use of characters. However I felt this one actually tied up the 9 movie saga very well. Just wished A New Hope remake would have had an original plot and The Last Jedi just completely redone. TLJ just doesn't add much to the story at all except for the Jedi texts.

Reactions: Winston Havelock
Just saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it. About as well done as possible, given the huge hole they started in. I am satisfied and will see it again in the theater.

Reactions: OSU_Orlando
Just saw it. Great ending to the original. Liked how they handled Leia’s death. Could have done without the LGQTB pandering.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Just watched it. Decent and fun (in a nerdy SW way). Not near great though. Have no desire to see it a second time. Once again, many scenes seem to merely recreate scenes from the original A New Hope. I literally yawned through the first 30-45 minutes of this one during a late morning matinee. Is Poe the worst character of the franchise? He came across as a leading candidate in this one. I liked the use of C3PO and the droid interaction. Couple of really , really , bad lines- worst being "Lets do it for Chewy", "For Chewy", "For Chewy".

I saw it this evening. Not bad, and certainly way better than the mess Rian Johnson created.

Some cheesy parts, and some of them by beloved actors/characters. But really not much more cheesy than anything served up by the original trilogy.

Personally, I really appreciated the story. I was so annoyed after the last one that I had plenty of patience to just watch the story unfold and observe how they tried to fix it.

I do agree that Poe is a weak character. Honestly, I thought all of the new characters were weak compared to the older ones. Rey and Ben are really the only compelling ones and I thought both of those characters were erratic and wooden at times throughout the series.

Now I’m very interested to see what they do with the larger story in the Mandalorian and I’m curious if they use it to put any meat on the bones of the revelations from Rise of Skywalker.

Did I miss something or was the scene when Lando asked about the black chick where she was from kind of awkward? His reply anyway. I couldn't tell if he was hitting on her or wanting to help her out.. They never returned to the gal or her story.

Did I miss something or was the scene when Lando asked about the black chick where she was from kind of awkward? His reply anyway. I couldn't tell if he was hitting on her or wanting to help her out.. They never returned to the gal or her story.
Ya I agree I took at he was either trying to bed her or it meant they would be doing a spin off movie of them figuring out where she came from.

his daughter.

Reactions: OSU_Orlando
This was my favorite of the new trilogy. I really liked TLJ a lot but definitely recognized it's problems and I thought JJ did a good job of "righting the ship".
They really screwed up with not letting one director take control of the series, it felt really disjointed. I actually like some movies that Rian Johnson has done here recently but he went off the deep end with TLJ.

Felt ROS was a good ending to the Skywalker Saga and felt it checked off a lot of boxes for Star Wars nerds, me included. I would have liked more hints about Rey's powers and background leading into this film and wanted her to unleash a bit more if she is truly what they say she is in the movie.

I wasn’t disappointed. That said, my expectations were low.

I think, considering the convoluted questions that episodes 7 & 8 raised or failed to answer - 9 did a fine job of tying it together in the space of a movie.

Bottom line - they introduced too many meh characters and posed too many questions and seemed not to know where they were going or how they would resolve them within this trilogy.

So again, having watched episodes 7&8, I was 100% fine with 9. All three could’ve been a lot better.

I wasn’t disappointed. That said, my expectations were low.

I think, considering the convoluted questions that episodes 7 & 8 raised or failed to answer - 9 did a fine job of tying it together in the space of a movie.

Bottom line - they introduced too many meh characters and posed too many questions and seemed not to know where they were going or how they would resolve them within this trilogy.

So again, having watched episodes 7&8, I was 100% fine with 9. All three could’ve been a lot better.
Pretty much sums it up. They were so busy tying up the storyline they couldn’t dive into Poe, Finn, and worthless Rose (why was she even included) back stories.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Pretty much sums it up. They were so busy tying up the storyline they couldn’t dive into Poe, Finn, and worthless Rose (why was she even included) back stories.
I honestly feel like people get way too caught up on stuff these days and they hold new movies to a higher standard that’s 4,5&6. There is next to zero back story on the original cast of characters and Ben was killed off early in an unfulfilling way much like Luke in TLJ. There were a ton of corny lines and Luke wasn’t always the mist compelling character. Just my opinion, but I like the new movies and the old.

I honestly feel like people get way too caught up on stuff these days and they hold new movies to a higher standard that’s 4,5&6. There is next to zero back story on the original cast of characters and Ben was killed off early in an unfulfilling way much like Luke in TLJ. There were a ton of corny lines and Luke wasn’t always the mist compelling character. Just my opinion, but I like the new movies and the old.
I guess my point is that they added so many characters, a lot of them pointless, we couldn't get the development of the main folks more. Adding another droid to the mix, Rose and all of her unknown reasons for even being in the movie, Zorii, Jannah, the last two I mentioned playing what seem to be major supporting roles in the actual plot. Who the heck are these people? And why are they important other than getting our main folks out of trouble?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT