ADVERTISEMENT

Something that occurred to me.

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
Ford takes over for Sean. He comes in with a reputation for getting shots up quickly and trying to beat other teams by getting more possessions and out-scoring the opponent. Very little talk of playing sound defense.

The majority of OSU fans are skeptical. They are pining for a defensive minded coach like Eddie, and think Ford is a bad hire from the beginning. Many fans seem to have their mind made up that the hire is doomed to fail because this guy doesn't understand what OSU basketball is all about. As it turns out, his teams are actually pretty good on defense and lose a lot of games due to inefficient offense (and terrible rebounding).

Underwood takes over, with a reputation for in your face defense and efficient offense. OSU fans are so excited that we are finally going to have a coach, again, who is going to play a style of ball that we all remember and relish. Turns out, that his team is incredibly efficient on offense, but plays the worst defense we have seen since before Eddie coached here. He leaves, and everyone is uber-pissed.

What's my point?

I am just wondering if our fans really are as fixated on defense as we say we are. I understand, that ultimately it is all about winning. I understand that hard fought rebounding is important. I understand that it is really fun to watch an efficient offense over a "3-jack" offense. I understand that we all expected Underwood's defense to improve in upcoming seasons.

But, I am just saying that maybe we aren't as fixated on bulldog man to man defense as we seem to think we are. Probably, we are just like every other college bball fan. We just want to win, and don't care how we do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News