ADVERTISEMENT

So what are you doing today?

Lol yeah the old tranny aint wore out just yet. Pan Gasket needs replaced. Going to get a new gasket and filter put on Tuesday. Love this old truck, 94 with just over 56,000 miles on her now, runs great. I remember when the 2nd Gen Dodge Trucks hit the road in 94, they were so ahead of their time and looked so different than anything else at the time. I wanted one back then, only took me 28 yrs to buy one. I do need a name for it, thinking of Dodge Allen. What you think?
d
FgIWycRWYAA9YKp
"RAMesses" or if you're not into Egyptians and want a more American name "Roger Dodger".

Lol yeah the old tranny aint wore out just yet. Pan Gasket needs replaced. Going to get a new gasket and filter put on Tuesday. Love this old truck, 94 with just over 56,000 miles on her now, runs great. I remember when the 2nd Gen Dodge Trucks hit the road in 94, they were so ahead of their time and looked so different than anything else at the time. I wanted one back then, only took me 28 yrs to buy one. I do need a name for it, thinking of Dodge Allen. What you think?
FgIWycRWYAA9YKp
I'm sure you'll get plenty more out of yore tranny.

While it can be entertaining to shit on each other, we should probably take a moment and focus on something positive on occasion. If you’re working today, what are you working on? How’s it going? If you’re retired, you’re still doing something. What?

I am waiting for the snow on the roof to melt so I can climb up there and sweep out the chimney. Several vehicles need oil changed. It’s an exciting time of year.

@Syskatine what are you working on? What’s your most interesting case going on right now?

Well, now it’s yesterday, but…

Worked most of the day on competitive analysis slides for my boss to present next week in CA for the company’s first AE summit since before Covid.

I just started this job in mid September after 6 years at a direct competitor. It’s a strange feeling. My good friend and coworker at the old gig followed me to the new place 2 weeks after me. Our new boss has been recruiting both of us to make the move for almost 3 years and it was finally time.

Aside from that, lots of errands… dental appointment for cleaning, haircut so I look presentable for professional head shot session (courtesy of the company) next week at the summit, pick up dry cleaning - again, so hopefully I look presentable next week…. And trying to be sure I didn’t forget anything that would be damaged by the first hard freeze last night.

Overall, pretty quiet day.

I like it. Look down on those Estancia folks. Or probably up a bit as the area above Estancia is a preserve.
You know the area! There is a stretch of land between Merit Crossing and Estancia on the south side of Dynamite. Between 93rd street and approximate where 96th would be. This "open" goes south to Jomax. The lots are between 5 - 10 acres. Only about 20% have built out. I had my eye on 2.25 acres in Estancia and I have a few friends in Estancia. The HOA are reportedly a pain in the ass. I lived in Talus on Troon North Pinnacle Course. HOA was not as bad but they were expensive in my opinion. I got a letter from HOA telling me I must not leave the access gate to MY property at night. I will have a clear view of Pinnacle Peak on the easy side of this property. No HOA or dues. About 1 acre is protected area that cannot be built on. Natural drainage and a variety of beautiful Arizona cactus. Two years ago this land would not have been on the market for more than a week. I like the current downturn!! Builders and materials are much more available!!

Well, now it’s yesterday, but…

Worked most of the day on competitive analysis slides for my boss to present next week in CA for the company’s first AE summit since before Covid.

I just started this job in mid September after 6 years at a direct competitor. It’s a strange feeling. My good friend and coworker at the old gig followed me to the new place 2 weeks after me. Our new boss has been recruiting both of us to make the move for almost 3 years and it was finally time.

Aside from that, lots of errands… dental appointment for cleaning, haircut so I look presentable for professional head shot session (courtesy of the company) next week at the summit, pick up dry cleaning - again, so hopefully I look presentable next week…. And trying to be sure I didn’t forget anything that would be damaged by the first hard freeze last night.

Overall, pretty quiet day.
You make me sad. No PDX presence I am guessing?

Anybody up for another round?

It is cold. A couple of days ago, the overnight now temperature was -35. For two days in a row, the high temperature during the day got up to zero-ish. Yesterday, it got up to around 20, so I walked a mile to the post office and found one bill waiting on me. Exciting shit right there.

Approximately three feet of snow on the ground. I help a couple of neighbors with keeping their driveways clear. Always something to do, just mundane this time of year.

Somebody cheer me up and tell something awesome that’s happening at work. Please.

Reactions: davidallen
Anybody up for another round?

It is cold. A couple of days ago, the overnight now temperature was -35. For two days in a row, the high temperature during the day got up to zero-ish. Yesterday, it got up to around 20, so I walked a mile to the post office and found one bill waiting on me. Exciting shit right there.

Approximately three feet of snow on the ground. I help a couple of neighbors with keeping their driveways clear. Always something to do, just mundane this time of year.

Somebody cheer me up and tell something awesome that’s happening at work. Please.
Getting ready for a jury trial next week. Nothing but drudgery.

• Sad
Reactions: davidallen
Well I got up got the son breakfast then loaded up went into the office. Been working on some fleet accounts today and then of to get the boy Taco Casa. Then I am off to Atwoods. They get a new chicken shipment in today and I am hoping for a six pack of MMM. Then back to the office. Tonight I am hitting the Maud auction up. Looking for hay and turkeys tonight. Then come home kiss the wife and kids put them to bed and smoke a fat J before going to bed myself.

Sitting in Sunnyvale staring out the window at Moffet hangar 1. Flying back to Colorado today.

Nothing too exciting really… super busy week though and I’ll probably spend a lot of the next two days sleeping.
Anything to show for the effort?

Watching the ice melt away today finally. Been stuck at home for most of the week and itching to get back to work.
Found out a few days ago a good friend died in May of last year but there wasn't a pic with the obit but I am sure it was him. Called the funeral home but the lady couldn't or wouldn't tell me much, she said a caregiver arranged the service and was the only one that attended. She gave me a first name but not his last name. I looked him up on fb but he hasn't posted anything since 2015, sent him a message but no response.

I have also spent most of the week asking friends of his on fb if they knew he died and only one person responded, a guy he worked with at a car dealership. He said he had not heard and that he tried to help my friend yrs ago. You see my friend was an alcoholic going all the way back to high school. We were room mates at different times over the years up until around 2002, right after my divorce. I moved away that year and returned to Arkansas in 2009. We played golf together at least once a week but most times he would be too drunk to finish the last 4 or 5 holes and we would argue about that and other things, mainly his drinking. If you brought it up he would get mad and not talk to you for a while. Thats what happened in 2015 and he quit calling me.

Anyway he pretty much didn't keep in touch with anyone, no family etc he just shut himself away and drank everyday after work.
Been trying to find out what happened to him but so far no luck. We were friends for 36 yrs and I guess I need some type of closure even though I don't like that word.

He told me when I moved back here in 2009 that he was glad I was back and that now he wouldn't have to die alone but thats exactly what he did. Just sad all around.

Easy win? Gonna lose but trying to limit the damage? Zero chance of settlement at this point?

I'm representing a contractor and yeah, at this point I think we're mitigating damages. We're gonna have to pay something, but hopefully not the extravagant amount the Plaintiff wants.

You ever consider dusting off the badge?

Reactions: wyomingosualum
I'm representing a contractor and yeah, at this point I think we're mitigating damages. We're gonna have to pay something, but hopefully not the extravagant amount the Plaintiff wants.

You ever consider dusting off the badge?
Ah. Got it. Good luck.

There are some things I miss, mostly the people I worked with. And there were a few over the years that should have gone into another line of work. But that’s really the only thing I miss at this point. I was burned out so badly. The last few years really took its toll on me. But I was too near retirement to bail.

There were many times when I almost said **** it and damn the consequences. Long story short, this guy shot and killed his wife as she was in the bathtub. She lays there for several days while he continues to live in the house, making daily runs to steal bags of ice to slow down the decomposition. He basically stays drunk all that time, which is pretty much what he did before the murder. At the end, he pours gasoline throughout the house, lights it on fire and then shoots himself in the head. I remember calling my wife and informing her that this could be the day when I finally crack.

Anyway, I can’t point to any one thing that sent me around the bend forever. It was an accumulation of shit that just kept piling up. So I am damaged goods at this point. Plus my hearing is starting to go (sirens and firearms training). It‘s over, bro. I just can’t do it anymore.

Ah. Got it. Good luck.

There are some things I miss, mostly the people I worked with. And there were a few over the years that should have gone into another line of work. But that’s really the only thing I miss at this point. I was burned out so badly. The last few years really took its toll on me. But I was too near retirement to bail.

There were many times when I almost said **** it and damn the consequences. Long story short, this guy shot and killed his wife as she was in the bathtub. She lays there for several days while he continues to live in the house, making daily runs to steal bags of ice to slow down the decomposition. He basically stays drunk all that time, which is pretty much what he did before the murder. At the end, he pours gasoline throughout the house, lights it on fire and then shoots himself in the head. I remember calling my wife and informing her that this could be the day when I finally crack.

Anyway, I can’t point to any one thing that sent me around the bend forever. It was an accumulation of shit that just kept piling up. So I am damaged goods at this point. Plus my hearing is starting to go (sirens and firearms training). It‘s over, bro. I just can’t do it anymore.

Man I get why spending the day ranching would be great therapy after that. It seems to me the good cops burn out a lot like you described. What good person can see that and immerse themselves in it and not get mentally burnt? It's just.... too damn damaging to have that stuff in your head all the time. It's a pale comparison, but years ago I quit looking at gruesome death and autopsy pictures from death cases. Those are just photos. I don't know how good cops deal with it.

I was defending a small town police chief years ago and we're driving somewhere (maybe a deposition) I'm trying to get to know and bond with the guy, and he had been keeping death scene photos to put in a book. He really thought that stuff was cool. He was just as serious as he could be. His favorite was he had some video of a guy doing "the chicken" after he killed himself. There's a lot of variety among people that wear a badge. The good ones are worth their weight in gold and the bad ones are lucky they're not digging ditches.

Man I get why spending the day ranching would be great therapy after that. It seems to me the good cops burn out a lot like you described. What good person can see that and immerse themselves in it and not get mentally burnt? It's just.... too damn damaging to have that stuff in your head all the time. It's a pale comparison, but years ago I quit looking at gruesome death and autopsy pictures from death cases. Those are just photos. I don't know how good cops deal with it.

I was defending a small town police chief years ago and we're driving somewhere (maybe a deposition) I'm trying to get to know and bond with the guy, and he had been keeping death scene photos to put in a book. He really thought that stuff was cool. He was just as serious as he could be. His favorite was he had some video of a guy doing "the chicken" after he killed himself. There's a lot of variety among people that wear a badge. The good ones are worth their weight in gold and the bad ones are lucky they're not digging ditches.
Yikes! Never worked with anybody like that, thank God. How that guy made it through the psychological testing is amazing. I did work with a few that were just too full of themselves. The Johnny Bad Ass types that everybody has seen and that everybody hates. I’m in favor of periodic psychological evaluation of officers, but until somebody makes me the monarch, I don’t see it happening. I guess paying huge settlements is more fun?

I think some officers put up a psychological wall over time to deal with all the shit that happens. And you can spot those people pretty quickly, void of any compassion. Those are the assholes. If you try to maintain your humanity, then it just eats at you.

I had just moved from Oklahoma to Wyoming where I had a job waiting for me. I was being field trained by a cop who had moved to Wyoming from California. After a couple of weeks, we drove to the office and California guy goes into the sergeant’s office and closed the door. After a couple minutes, they call me in and the sergeant tells me that they’re concerned that I might be “too nice” for the job. Mind you, I had already been a cop for 7 years prior to this. I thought “Holy shit, they’re going to can me for no f’n reason, I better do something fast.” So I physically shoved California guy and nearly knocked him on his ass, called him an asshole and told the sergeant, “Just because I haven’t had to do it doesn’t mean I don’t know how to do it.” I looked back at California guy and said I’ll leave you alone to discuss the matter further and walked out and closed the door behind me. I sat outside thinking well, I just went out in a blaze of glory. Less than a minute later, California guy walks out and says, “OK, let’s go” and back on patrol we went. From that day on, they pretty much let me do police work how I saw fit, which was to take a little extra time with people, let them vent when they needed to and be as nice as they would allow me to be.

That was probably the most strange moment in a 27 year career. I don’t think that would happen nowadays. I don’t regret going into law enforcement, but I wouldn’t have stayed as long if I had to do it over.

I interviewed with the Dallas Police Dept. just pryor to discharge from the USAF. DPD was recruiting military at the time. I was asked, "do you bite your finger nails?"
"Yes." I was told to return in 30 days bearing proof I could refrain from biting my nails. I never returned.

I was discharged and immediatly found employment outside law enforcement in Waco.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT