ADVERTISEMENT

Since I was asked

Indy

Heisman Candidate
Staff
May 29, 2001
Over the weekend I was asked why I have been so much more excited about the class of 2014 than any other recruiting class under Coach Gundy, and it opened up a fantastic discussion. I thought I would share some things from that with you and let board share comments and thoughts.

Obviously in recruiting, there are many key things that classes must do: address immediate need areas, provide a few difference making skill players, build quality depth across position groups, and identify guys with leadership potential to help hold the class together.

Additionally, one of the things I look for in evaluating a recruiting class is what I call the "hit rate". How many of the guys signed were "hits" in terms of players that can contribute on the field at this level? There are always going to be guys that can really play that choose other schools. That does not really cost you that many games in the future, but filling out a roster with guys that likely can't contribute at this level can cripple a program, and that is before you get to the natural causes of attrition like injuries, off field issues, homesickness, lack of dedication to football, etc.

The evaluation job done on the 2014 class was truly first rate, and these players are going to be a key part of the foundation for the next 3-4 years. Aside from some character issues with the kids from Louisiana, a JUCO prospect that could never get eligible, and significant issue with local hero Devon Thomas, the class is mostly bust free. There really are not many unknowns. You have several that contributed in a really positive way as true freshmen, some that were scout team standouts and have moved into the 2-deep as redshirt freshman, and a few others that have proven that they can provide depth and be quality role players.

On a position by position basis, only the RB and the DT positions are really up for discussion when it comes to busting. The reality is that Tyreek Hill was a definite hit at RB in spite of the fact that he left the program after one season (which was a risk from the beginning for things on the field as well). Sione Palelei was showing up very, very well before his injury, showing that he was a hit. Unfortunately, injuries play a big part in the attrition rate. The good news is that he looks to be fully recovered, so the evaluation can really begin this August.

The reason for so much excitement is that at this stage of the game with a recruiting class (15 months after signing), you seldom know as much about the "hit rate" as OSU does with the 2014 class.

QB: Rudolph not only looks like a hit, but a potential superstar at the position, leader of the team, and face of the franchise (so to speak).

RB: As mentioned earlier, Tyreek Hill was a hit and probably meant 2-3 wins for last years team. We will have to see how Sione responds in full contact work in August, but he gave lots of early reason to be pleased. I was never a big fan of recruiting Devon Thomas, so I will not consider it a loss.

WR: James Washington was everything that the staff hoped for and then some. Chris Lacy contributed immediately, showing speed and physicality that will make him a part of the rotation going forward. Keenan Brown showed off some physical dominance this spring and seems destined for a key situational role this year.

TE: Jordan Frazier may be a year away from making a major impact, but the emphasis on the Cowboy back position is good for him, and he was recruited to that end. The staff thinks he is ideal for the role.

OT: Matthew Mucha has been better than expected and has gained enough weight to be considered the 3rd OT this year. He is a solid future.

OG: Junior Galea'i is in a similar situation as Matt Mucha. He has earned the 3rd guard spot heading into the season and is a very physical blocker. The staff expects him to plug in at some point and be very good. The jury is still out on Deionte Noel. He needs more development.

OC: There simply are not many freshman walk-on offensive linemen that can move into a starting lineup in a power 5 conference and improve the play up front. That is essentially what OSU got in Brad Lundblade.
(Note: lack of depth/numbers in the OLine is the only drawback.)

DT: Until Trey Carter officially moves to DT, this position would be considered the lone disappointment, but it was addressed very well in the following recruiting class with Maile, Daniels and Bakari.

DE: This is the best class of DEs collectively in a long time at OSU. All four should see playing time this year behind OSU's top three veterans. Jordan Brailford and Trey Carter could make big impacts this year. Cole Walterscheid may be a year behind them. Jarell Owens has the athleticism to play anywhere, but has not yet landed in a role.

LB: Before he got hurt last season, Josh Mabin was looking like the best MLB prospect signed under Coach Gundy's tenure. He wil be a major player in 2016 and beyond and provides great depth this year. Davante Averrette's debut was hindered by injury, but he showed enough to know that he will be a big time hitter and fly to the football. Look for him to provide great depth at the WLB spot and allow that position with him and Jacobs to remain fresh and create a lot more big plays. Justin Phillips showed up as a physical player that will line up and hit all comers. He has a big time special teams role ahead of him for this year as well as lining up as the #2 Star. That leaves the two most highly recruited players in that incoming group: Gyasi Akem and Kirk Tucker. They have the misfortune of simply not standing out from among their peers, but both played all season on special teams, and did a good job of making tackles.

S: Dylan Harding stepped up to play a role on special teams last year and backed up the safety position. He will maintain that role as he looks to make strides to earn more positional playing time. Jordan Sterns has been dominating snaps at his position. Dre Roberts is still adjusting to the safety position. He showed progress this spring, but still has a ways to go to get on the field. Taken together, the staff sees good things in these two, but the position is not an obvious 'hit' like the others listed above. Consequently, this was a position of emphasis in the class of 2015 as was the case with DT.

CB: The emergence of Ramon Richards was a big time boost, not just to this position, but to the class overall as Juwan Offray proved that he was not able to follow rules. Chris Hardeman was the more publicly known recruit, but Ramon had the length desired in a cover corner to play against the big receivers in this conference. This gave the staff the luxury of not having to 'take' another player at corner in the last class in order to bolster other areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News