ADVERTISEMENT

Silly teamsters have met their match

Holy crap, he is bringing it. Great leadership.

My first thought when they went on strike was that it was backdoor okayed by the WH and they are hoping that one of the 1/2 wit propagandist working in the liberal media puts a mike in Trumps face and asked him what he would do. Hoping that he says I would do..........................................................................................which would offend other union members across the US and cause them to rethink voting for Trump.

You know 4+ weeks from the election you have this strike, which should have been handled by the 3/4 wit people in the current administration long before now and Jack Smith along with the d-bag judge in NY releasing material about why Trump is responsible for january 6th. This is as choreographed as the Nutcracker on Broadway.

It is beyond comprehension to me that ~45,000 union members would actually try to stop the #1 economy in the world because they want an unimaginable pay raise and are against automation. Dumbasses.

I'm curious how you think that means the striking Teamsters have met their match. Are you thinking a bunch of 18-20 year old National Guardsmen are going to offload the cargo? How long will this go on? The Guardsmen have jobs and/or are students. How long can they be away? Don't get me wrong, the last thing I am is a "union man." I just don't see this as a solution to the problem.

I'm curious how you think that means the striking Teamsters have met their match. Are you thinking a bunch of 18-20 year old National Guardsmen are going to offload the cargo? How long will this go on? The Guardsmen have jobs and/or are students. How long can they be away? Don't get me wrong, the last thing I am is a "union man." I just don't see this as a solution to the problem.
I would think it would give time to hire and train replacement staff. It's not like unloading cargo is like heart surgery. Operating a crane is a skill that can be taught and learned in a short period of time as is everything else involved. Not trying to demean Longshoreman but let's not act like most able bodied people couldn't do the job.

I would think it would give time to hire and train replacement staff. It's not like unloading cargo is like heart surgery. Operating a crane is a skill that can be taught and learned in a short period of time as is everything else involved. Not trying to demean Longshoreman but let's not act like most able bodied people couldn't do the job.
There’s a common refrain within the construction industry of which I am a part: It takes a lot of hard work to make it look like it was easy. You must be an office worker (aside from your very macho, very manly hunting prowess).

• Haha
Reactions: 2012Bearcat
It definitely won't be the same, but it will help a bit. Lifting the toll and weight restrictions will probably be a bigger help. If other coastal governor's follow suit, the combined effort could absolutely make a dent in the backlog.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
When guardsmen are activated Dan, their jobs are protected by law.

When guardsmen are activated Dan, their jobs are protected by law.
That was not the point I was trying to make. The question is how long should they be expected to be away from their jobs or their studies? What happens to the places where they were employed? Does someone, a striking Teamster, for example, take their place until they can come back? Or does the work they were doing get passed around to the other employees? What if he's the only employee? This strikes me as a clever "gotcha" by DeSantis (who, if you recall, I very much favored over Trump). It makes him look ultra cool while not doing anything to solve the immediate problem.

That was not the point I was trying to make. The question is how long should they be expected to be away from their jobs or their studies? What happens to the places where they were employed? Does someone, a striking Teamster, for example, take their place until they can come back? Or does the work they were doing get passed around to the other employees? What if he's the only employee? This strikes me as a clever "gotcha" by DeSantis (who, if you recall, I very much favored over Trump). It makes him look ultra cool while not doing anything to solve the immediate problem.
I can tell that hamster in yer melon has that wheel spinning @ 4000 rpms a minute. It's federal law and really not hard to understand.

I can tell that hamster in yer melon has that wheel spinning @ 4000 rpms a minute. It's federal law and really not hard to understand.
I'm not concerned about the Guardsmen being allowed to go back to their old job when the strike is settled. I'm thinking they will not be prepared to handle the tasks they are asked to do and the tasks they were doing at their old jobs will either go undone or will be done by people who are not as qualified as they are. It's a "dumbing down" all the way around. IMO it's a poor "solution."

You bring in replacement workers. When they form a ticket line to stop it, you arrest them. State declared emergency will allow that.

I would guess that a good number of the soldiers have been trained to run a crane.

I would bet that DeSantis is looking at a way to arrest the teamster boss. The comments he made about hurting the American people and shutting country down would be a good place to start. Shutting it down during a declared emergency has to be impeding something.

There’s a common refrain within the construction industry of which I am a part: It takes a lot of hard work to make it look like it was easy. You must be an office worker (aside from your very macho, very manly hunting prowess).

Plenty of people out there that will work hard, make it look easy and do it for less than the first guy.. That's the part you miss.
I understand the Union workers point of view, I also understand the shipping company's point of view. What the Union is demanding and threatening to shut down the economy over is ridiculous. Threatening to shut down the economy is a national and domestics security risk, no union should ever be allowed to do that.

I'm not concerned about the Guardsmen being allowed to go back to their old job when the strike is settled. I'm thinking they will not be prepared to handle the tasks they are asked to do and the tasks they were doing at their old jobs will either go undone or will be done by people who are not as qualified as they are. It's a "dumbing down" all the way around. IMO it's a poor "solution."
It is what it is Dan.

You bring in replacement workers. When they form a ticket line to stop it, you arrest them. State declared emergency will allow that.

I would guess that a good number of the soldiers have been trained to run a crane.

I would bet that DeSantis is looking at a way to arrest the teamster boss. The comments he made about hurting the American people and shutting country down would be a good place to start. Shutting it down during a declared emergency has to be impeding something.
Makes sense, but where does he get the replacement workers? It's not like longshoremen grow on trees.

I doubt there are very many 18-20 year old guardsmen that know how to operate the cranes they use on the docks. Who is liable if the kid drops a twenty million dollar load into the water?

Why would he want to arrest the union boss? How does that get the strikers back to work?

5437031891_eedc94b72c_z.jpg

Back when I was hired on with Vought back in College the Union immediately went on strike. Being a new hire I didn't have union protection and had to go to work to keep the job I was just hired for. I had to cross the picket line to get into work, what a fun expereince that was and something the Union members held over my head until the day I quit. That's just one of the reason's I can't stand Unions.

Plenty of people out there that will work hard, make it look easy and do it for less than the first guy.. That's the part you miss.
I understand the Union workers point of view, I also understand the shipping company's point of view. What the Union is demanding and threatening to shut down the economy over is ridiculous. Threatening to shut down the economy is a national and domestics security risk, no union should ever be allowed to do that.
I don't understand either point of view. It's not what I'm talking about. I think you are sorely mistaken when you think fresh barely out of teenage years recruits can pick right up where the longshoremen left off. Please explain how letting a batch of pomegranates rot on the ship is a national security risk.

I don't understand either point of view. It's not what I'm talking about. I think you are sorely mistaken when you think fresh barely out of teenage years recruits can pick right up where the longshoremen left off. Please explain how letting a batch of pomegranates rot on the ship is a national security risk.
Who said anything about teenagers? Plenty of people out there that run cranes in the construction business that could be hired, plenty of forklift drivers at all kinds of business could be hired, plenty of what ever worker they need are out there to hire at the current wages these people are making. No one is irreplaceable.

In case you haven't noticed we have two wars going on that require raw materials to produce the weapons. Add in food, medicine and everything else we import from other countries and we have a national and domestic security risk.

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Makes sense, but where does he get the replacement workers? It's not like longshoremen grow on trees.

I doubt there are very many 18-20 year old guardsmen that know how to operate the cranes they use on the docks. Who is liable if the kid drops a twenty million dollar load into the water?

Why would he want to arrest the union boss? How does that get the strikers back to work?
How did 20 year old act in Nam Dan?

Who said anything about teenagers? Plenty of people out there that run cranes in the construction business that could be hired, plenty of forklift drivers at all kinds of business could be hired, plenty of what ever worker they need are out there to hire at the current wages these people are making. No one is irreplaceable.

In case you haven't noticed we have two wars going on that require raw materials to produce the weapons. Add in food, medicine and everything else we import from other countries and we have a national and domestic security risk.
Well, DeSantis may not have said anything about 18-20 year olds, but he wants to replace the Teamsters with the Florida National Guard which is comprised of 18-20 year olds, so you do the math.

I live in a land-locked state so I know next to nothing about the cranes used to load and unload ships at dock, but I don’t think they look as flimsy as the picture of the Guard crane that SiL posted. I assume Florida is a right-to-work state but it would not surprise me to learn crane operators with the expertise and experience required to operate those particular cranes wouldn’t come cheap, especially knowing they have the leverage. And they might be union themselves.

Let me add one more time I am not arguing the morality of the strike, I’m just questioning whether the DeSantis solution is as damaging to the Teamsters as the OP suggested.

Well, DeSantis may not have said anything about 18-20 year olds, but he wants to replace the Teamsters with the Florida National Guard which is comprised of 18-20 year olds, so you do the math.

I live in a land-locked state so I know next to nothing about the cranes used to load and unload ships at dock, but I don’t think they look as flimsy as the picture of the Guard crane that SiL posted. I assume Florida is a right-to-work state but it would not surprise me to learn crane operators with the expertise and experience required to operate those particular cranes wouldn’t come cheap, especially knowing they have the leverage. And they might be union themselves.

Let me add one more time I am not arguing the morality of the strike, I’m just questioning whether the DeSantis solution is as damaging to the Teamsters as the OP suggested.
That yer confused adds to the comedy of yer persona Dan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT