ADVERTISEMENT

Sheets

KILLEVIDENT

All-Big12
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
What's his path to qualifying for the NCAA Tournament? Is it likely he makes it in?

GO POKES!!!!!!!

What's his path to qualifying for the NCAA Tournament? Is it likely he makes it in?

GO POKES!!!!!!!

Flo had an article the other day that projected only 1 automatic qualifier for the Big12 @ 157. Wyatt may need to win the conference tourney in order to make nationals. Not sure he would get an at large bid (wild card).

• I inserted names of who I thought have the berths using Flo allocations based on 2nd coaches poll
    • 157 Pounds
      WeightConferenceAllocation

157 Big Ten 9 (Nolf, Berger, Deakin, Young, Hayes, Bleise, Barone, Parriott, Van Brill)
      157 Big 12 1 (Wright of Fresno State)
      157 EIWA 2 (Hartman, Humphreys)
      157 ACC 4 (Hidley, Rahmani, LaPrade, borderline on Keating)
      157 MAC 4 (Early, Jacques, Carlson, borderline on Parks)
      157 Pac-12 3 (Pagdilao, Fox, ???)
      157 EWL 1 (Auto berth)
      157 SoCon 1 (auto berth)
  • What is your thoughts on Pantaleo of Michigan. Since he wrestled at 149 for awhile, looks short on RPI and Win %age or am I missing something. If this is accurate, it puts him at bronze level.
I could see Clarke and Reed of EIWA also getting berths. Not in coaches poll, but appear to have RPI and win %age that would give them silver status.

Willits would be the other for the Pac 12, I have him just out with 30 Coaches poll, 19 RPI, and just below 70 Win %age

This is the information after 2nd coaches poll.
Sheets will have an RPI now.

157 - Looks like 1 allocation, which is mandatory at every qualifier
Sheets (OSU) 22, NR
Mossing (AF) 28,
Wright (FSU) 29, 25 (looks like 19-8 vs D1, which would be right at 70%)
Thomas (OU) NR,24
Straw (ISU) NR, 29
Weber (NDSU) 33,

Didn't Sheets meet criteria to qualify a second spot? Else why would they have wasted the time to send him to Iowa for one match?

Didn't Sheets meet criteria to qualify a second spot? Else why would they have wasted the time to send him to Iowa for one match?

He might have. I don’t know what is RPI ranking will be. If he maintains his coaches ranking & gets an RPI ranking at 27 or above, he should qualify as a silver rating

Reactions: osu2082
Wrestlestat has Wyatt's RPI at #45, so not likely. Thomas at OU might earn a 2nd qualifier. He could break into the coaches' ranking.

Big 12 has a lot of bronze level guys. If it moves below the 27/27/70 level, we(Big 12) could get a couple more allocations

Flo only had 25 allocated in the guess. Doesn’t the NCAA allocate 27 or 28?

Last edited:
Wrestlestat has Wyatt's RPI at #45, so not likely. Thomas at OU might earn a 2nd qualifier. He could break into the coaches' ranking.
Pretty certain wrestlstat is meaning less in this discussion. It's about meeting the min number of matches (pretty sure got that with last chance & Iowa) thus rpi, coaches rank, may be one other.

Would think AQs etc would be out this week.

Calling @SetonHallPirate. What say you?
I've never been able to get the RPIs close enough to have confidence in my numbers, to be honest. Haven't made much of an effort to calculate the RPIs this year as a result.

That said, RPIs can be a bit screwy. Here's an example, from numbers based on team dual results (and these I can vouch for the accuracy of, as getting results of all 550 duals that took place this season is relatively straightforward compared to getting the results of 14,000+ individual matches). The difference in RPI margin between #1 Oklahoma State and #2 Penn State is bigger than the difference in RPI margin between #2 Penn State and #9 Lehigh, and further, Oklahoma State's RPI would still be #1 even if they lost the duals to Missouri and Iowa! I don't think anybody, even among the diehardest of the diehards on this message board, would consider Oklahoma State the #1 dual team in the country if they had lost duals to both Missouri and Iowa. (heck, I don't think most wrestling fans consider OSU the #1 dual team in the country having beaten both of those teams...I sure don't!)

Last edited:
Would agree, but it depends on who gets upset in other qualifiers
But that's for wild card/at large selection, correct? Doesn't have anything to do with how he does at B12s. If the conference has 2 AQ spots & he finishes 1st or 2nd then he is in.

But that's for wild card/at large selection, correct? Doesn't have anything to do with how he does at B12s. If the conference has 2 AQ spots & he finishes 1st or 2nd then he is in.
Correct on both accounts

I've never been able to get the RPIs close enough to have confidence in my numbers, to be honest. Haven't made much of an effort to calculate the RPIs this year as a result.

That said, RPIs can be a bit screwy. Here's an example, from numbers based on team dual results (and these I can vouch for the accuracy of, as getting results of all 550 duals that took place this season is relatively straightforward compared to getting the results of 14,000+ individual matches). The difference in RPI margin between #1 Oklahoma State and #2 Penn State is bigger than the difference in RPI margin between #2 Penn State and #9 Lehigh, and further, Oklahoma State's RPI would still be #1 even if they lost the duals to Missouri and Iowa! I don't think anybody, even among the diehardest of the diehards on this message board, would consider Oklahoma State the #1 dual team in the country if they had lost duals to both Missouri and Iowa. (heck, I don't think most wrestling fans consider OSU the #1 dual team in the country having beaten both of those teams...I sure don't!)

Thanks Pirate

l'll give it a go - and I'll use an injury free lineup for both teams.

125: Picc tech Schnupp, 5-0
133: Daton dec RBY, 8-0
141: G dec Lee, 11-0
149: Boo dec Berge, 14-0
157: Nolf tech Sheets, 14-5
165: Cenzo dec Joe, 14-8
174: Hall dec Jacobe, 14-11
184: Rasheed dec Geer, 14-14
197: Bo dec Weigel, 14-17
285: Derek dec Cassar, 17-17
Pokes win on criteria - most dual points scored (also most team titles, most NCAA champions, most AAs, most Olympians).

Stick that in your computer!

Pretty certain wrestlstat is meaning less in this discussion. It's about meeting the min number of matches (pretty sure got that with last chance & Iowa) thus rpi, coaches rank, may be one other.

Would think AQs etc would be out this week.

Wrestlestat is using the correct formula for RPI so unless they are counting matches they shouldn't (matches at other weights, matches against non-DI guys) which from a brief review of their results it doesn't look like they are, the RPI should be pretty close. To earn an allocation, Sheets' RPI would need to be, at a minimum, in the top 30 so seeing him in the mid-40s casts doubt upon that. The standards don't go below top 30 CR, top 30 RPI, .700 win percentage. You need at least two of those three to have a chance at earning an allocation for the conference. They can then slide up if there are more than 29 that meet that criteria.

Wrestlestat is using the correct formula for RPI so unless they are counting matches they shouldn't (matches at other weights, matches against non-DI guys) which from a brief review of their results it doesn't look like they are, the RPI should be pretty close. To earn an allocation, Sheets' RPI would need to be, at a minimum, in the top 30 so seeing him in the mid-40s casts doubt upon that. The standards don't go below top 30 CR, top 30 RPI, .700 win percentage. You need at least two of those three to have a chance at earning an allocation for the conference. They can then slide up if there are more than 29 that meet that criteria.
Pretty sure wrestlstat is using win/loss, match data from a year, two year ago etc,entire college career, that is why their rankings are rather worthless as it doesn't discount a match that happened a year or 3 ago. RPI is this season, doesn't have anything to do with past year.

Pretty sure wrestlstat is using win/loss, match data from a year, two year ago etc,entire college career, that is why their rankings are rather worthless as it doesn't discount a match that happened a year or 3 ago. RPI is this season, doesn't have anything to do with past year.

It isn't their rankings I'm referring to. They have a separate RPI that uses the correct data and is only for this season: https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/rpi

No allocation for Oklahoma State at 174 or 184 and if Joe wrestles at 165 in stead of Rogers, the conference gives an allocation back.

Hurts the conference, because all 3 are practically guaranteed to steal a spot.

No allocation for Oklahoma State at 174 or 184 and if Joe wrestles at 165 in stead of Rogers, the conference gives an allocation back.

Hurts the conference, because all 3 are practically guaranteed to steal a spot.
Man, that sucks all the way around...

Based off of the other thread it sounds like Joe is injured and we will be seeking a hardship redshirt for him and conference will get full allocation at 165.

The complete brackets will be released at 6 but the first two seeds in each weight will start being released starting at 4.

I think I'm most intrigued for 285. White getting the No.1 and (assuming he wins) avoiding Cassar/Gable until the finals would be massive. Such a huge drop off after those three.

Reactions: osu2082
25, 33 and Heavy are going to take another 4 months to seed. They better start with 57 and 97.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT