ADVERTISEMENT

Reno

they just started 165.
Chandler Rogers takes third with a 9-5 dec. over Keaton Subjeck of Stanford. Ben Stroh lost to him 8-2 and lost again so Chandler just happened to get him before his power failed. Joe Smith and Isaiah Martinez will be the last final wrestled.

Tough match:\ saw a few times he was giving up his leg and bottom looks like a little bit of an issue with the better guys I hope he gets to go to the southern scuffle

pic had trouble in the last tournament with giving up his legs. i wonder if thats one of the reasons why he use to wrestle from one knee in high school. i guess its going to take some time adjusting. i like his fight but i was hoping he would be able to beat the wyo kid. Also does joe smith seem like a small 57 pounder compared to the other guys he wrestled today.

pic had trouble in the last tournament with giving up his legs. i wonder if thats one of the reasons why he use to wrestle from one knee in high school. i guess its going to take some time adjusting. i like his fight but i was hoping he would be able to beat the wyo kid. Also does joe smith seem like a small 57 pounder compared to the other guys he wrestled today.
He did have an interview where I believe he said he could go 149 I think he's fine at 157 though

What a great match John smith's decision must be all on his thinking process with his son are you thinking as his coach or his father I think that'll be the difference in if he redshirts the rest of the season or not because he has flat out proven himself Even now that chance is starting to look a little better we know who the better guy at 157 is as a fan of Marsteller's I hope he gets to finish the season but I gotta be realistic about who's the better option as it stands right now

Imar wins j11-5 with just too much power for Joe at this point but Joe had an exciting takedown of his own.

Joe seemed to be gaining confidence as the match wore on. I do think he would wrestle him closer the next time. Not sure anyone is beating IMAR this year but Joe did seem to relax a bit towards he end and it showed.

Coach Smiths decision will be interesting but Joe IMO has a chance to be in the semis in March.

Reactions: ctdub
John has a brutally tough decision to make. If the team score is going to be tight, joe has to come out of redshirt. I can see as a father he would prefer to redshirt him. I am glad it isn't me in that dilemma.

Reactions: oberebo
Smith was game but lost to Martinez 11-5. Joe gave up some backs, which ended up being the difference. Martinez was able to out horse him on their feet, but Joe got a td and had another at the buzzer. All in all, a really impressive performance by Joe....showing he can go with anyone at 157.

Reactions: oberebo and osu2082
I thought Picci got out horsed a bit. Wyoming kid was bigger and stronger. He did seem to give up his legs too easy. Another year, and he should be a good one. Like the way he wrestles, and he goes the whole 7 minutes.

Reactions: oberebo and osu2082
What a fun weekend for cowboy wrestling. A big Wyoming win and backups doing well in Reno plus Wyatt sheets looking like a future stud.

Joe seemed to be gaining confidence as the match wore on. I do think he would wrestle him closer the next time. Not sure anyone is beating IMAR this year but Joe did seem to relax a bit towards he end and it showed.

Coach Smiths decision will be interesting but Joe IMO has a chance to be in the semis in March.

For sure, it must have been a mental nightmare knowing you have to go against IMAR, given the hype of this kid, and then to be turned like that. BUUUT, Joe showed great poise and still wrestled and gained that confidence to be more open and had great mat awareness, as a true freshmen. You could tell that IMAR was pissed that Joe was still making it a match. Joe is my choice, he is a sure AA. CM might make it, Joe Smith will make it. I'd go with what I feel is a sure thing.

Reactions: osu2082
Joe wrestled tough. Thought a few of his shots looked a bit tentative compared to his other matches, but that might have just been Martinez' defense. Don't give up back points and this is a really close match. I agree with 2082 that the next match will be closer. I wouldn't be shocked if Joe beats him. He'll have a better gameplan and more confidence going in.

I don't think Joe benefits much from redshirting this year. Usually true freshman aren't as physical and need to improve top/bottom. Neither of those seem to be the case with him. He gives the team a better shot at bring home a title in AD's final season.

Usually true freshman aren't as physical and need to improve top/bottom. Neither of those seem to be the case with him.

I was surprised he was able to toss IMAR around a bit and agree that he has some genetic physical strength rare for a true freshman which makes him a much safer option to pull from RS.

I know you can never separate being a father and a coach. That being said, from a purely coaching standpoint I don't see how you can keep the kid in redshirt. It has to be hard for John but if it was the same kid and his name was John Jackson from Ohio what would John do?

One thing a poster said on themat yesterday was that if the shirt was pulled that could be the end of Marsteller does anyone think he'd call it quits if this happens he has started to show some improvement

I think if there was no shot of winning a national championship this year, he'd stay RS. If CM was producing even a little bit better, he'd stay RS. But given the circumstances at hand, I don't see him staying RS. Think about this, the score was 11-5, close to a MD, but not. Imar in his college career has not had anyone score 5 or more points on him unless it was a MD or Tech in 8 matches...8 in 63 matches. Those 8 include, Issac Jordan, Jake Salazar, Johnny Greisheimer, Derek St. John, Alex Elder, Max Hvolbek, Dylan Ness, Doug Welch and now Joe Smith. I'm just saying he is a special kid and I don't see any need to keep him RS after the scuffle. From a team standpoint, your losing by keeping him RS'd. On a personal standpoint, it would help him in the long run to stay RS.

One thing a poster said on themat yesterday was that if the shirt was pulled that could be the end of Marsteller does anyone think he'd call it quits if this happens he has started to show some improvement
I think this is what makes the decision so difficult. Marsteller has a bright future at 65, but Joe gives them the best shot to win now.

I think this is what makes the decision so difficult. Marsteller has a bright future at 65, but Joe gives them the best shot to win now.
We performed well with our young wrestlers at Reno. We had two seconds, a third and a fourth with three of the four being true freshmen. I believe that Joe showed that he can perform up to AA status this year/ I do not agree with some who have posted he will beat IMAR next time. The match was not that close however, Joe may be as good as anyone else at this weight. Imar will still be there for the next two years so he might as well jump into the mix this year and improve through wrestling with the best. I respectfully disagree with several who have expressed that Marsteller will be the answer at 165 next year. I do not believe it is simply the weight pull which has caused him to look a mere shadow of his former self. However, I am not going to beat that horse to death. The future looks bright and this year is looking brighter with the entry of Kaid and possibly Joe.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Reactions: tfpoke

I have been on record saying I do think CM can be pretty darn good at 165 but I think people staying they have seen improvement from him at 157 are just wanting it to be the case. He also could be in a fight for a spot next year at 165 with Rogers who has show much more talent thus far if he chooses to go down.

At OSU there will always be talent looking to take your spot so you don't make any decision based on how someone feels about that. If they can't handle that (not saying that is the case) it is doubtful that person will ever have what it takes to maximize their potential.

The only match you could point to as "improvement" is against the OU kid who is less talented and struggles with the cut as much as CM does.

There is zero debate as to who is the better 157 today or in March and I think based off how realistic coach feels our chances at the title will likely determine Joe's status.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I think if there was no shot of winning a national championship this year, he'd stay RS. If CM was producing even a little bit better, he'd stay RS. But given the circumstances at hand, I don't see him staying RS. Think about this, the score was 11-5, close to a MD, but not. Imar in his college career has not had anyone score 5 or more points on him unless it was a MD or Tech in 8 matches...8 in 63 matches. Those 8 include, Issac Jordan, Jake Salazar, Johnny Greisheimer, Derek St. John, Alex Elder, Max Hvolbek, Dylan Ness, Doug Welch and now Joe Smith. I'm just saying he is a special kid and I don't see any need to keep him RS after the scuffle. From a team standpoint, your losing by keeping him RS'd. On a personal standpoint, it would help him in the long run to stay RS.
Walsh from rider also lost to him 8-4 last season

EDIT not 5 or more points but still a 4 point deficit

I guess my only thought would be: the coaches have to think this is a team that is going to be right in the thick of a title race right?

I guess my only thought would be: the coaches have to think this is a team that is going to be right in the thick of a title race right?

I would think so. Collica's health probably factors in but if everyone is healthy you have the strong potential for 7 AA's and small possibility of 3 finalists and that is without 157.

Sure that is best case scenario but somewhere close to that puts us right in the mix. A strong AA possibility at 157 certainly helps the cause and might be the tipping weight.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Martinez only beat Oliver Pearce 2-0 when Illinois wrestled Arizona State and Joe beat him soundly yesterday and yes I know the transitive property does not apply in wrestling but it is still an interesting statistic.

Can we (OK State) win NCAA's with Smith, Maybe lets see how everyone especially Brock and Smith do at Southern Scuffle.
If Smith's redshirt is pulled High AA is possible, in 1 year though he may surpass Martinez and be a 4 time NCAA champion and a bonus point machine even at NCAA's.
Smith barely won his semifinal, in a year he majors or better that level of wrestler.
hard call, next year Ohio State could be really good with Snyder and Keyshawn Hayes and if themat.com messageboard rumor is true Isaac Jordan scheduled to graduate and may transfer to Ohio State to wrestle with his 2 cousins and Ryan Taylor who wrestled in high school with the Jordan's MAYBE also wrestling at Ohio State as he can transfer without having to sit out if he graduates as expected.

So many variables, tough call I want to see #35, but I also want to see Smith win 4 NCAA's (very hard goal, but he is a Smith), I also want to see the team get to the point it can win multiple team titles in a row.

I don't feel the semi with Luke Smith was remotely as close as the score says. Luke Smith only had one takedown, and that was a brain fart on Joe for sure, he tried to spin out of a single leg and fell flat on his butt. Also, technically Joe had over 3 minutes of riding time, he erased the minute from L. Smith(in which Joe was never put flat, probly about 5 restarts) and then added over 2 minutes of his own. Also, he had him turned in the last 10 seconds, but pulled his foot out of bounds, then let him up in the last 5 seconds. That's pretty dominate of a true freshman against a #8 ranked 5th year senior.

Reactions: osu2082
Ultimately I trust John Smith to make the right call. I just think you have to wrestle the kid this year. It is easy for me to say not being the parent but a team title takes priority over trying to be a 4 timer. Also, is Martinez a candidate to move up in weight? If not he isn't going anywhere.

Ultimately I trust John Smith to make the right call. I just think you have to wrestle the kid this year. It is easy for me to say not being the parent but a team title takes priority over trying to be a 4 timer. Also, is Martinez a candidate to move up in weight? If not he isn't going anywhere.
I agree with you that Martinez is not going to go anywhere for the next three years. I do not think you make the decision based on one wrestler. At this point Martinez stands alone at the top. No one is close to him and I think he challenges Dierenger as the best pound for pound wrestler in the country. If he goes up next year he will still be dominant. Who knows what the future holds and I will support Joe and John whatever the decision. My feeling is that he come out this year but if he does not so be it.

For you guys that know wrestling, how much will Joe be hurt, if at all, ranking/NCAA seeding wise by not coming out of redshirt until January vs wrestling varsity all year? Would Brock be ranked higher if he wasn't initially in redshirt?

For you guys that know wrestling, how much will Joe be hurt, if at all, ranking/NCAA seeding wise by not coming out of redshirt until January vs wrestling varsity all year? Would Brock be ranked higher if he wasn't initially in redshirt?
Assuming Brock had won all of his matches he would be ranked higher, but if he takes care of business he will rise to where he should be. As far as seeding goes they will both be fine. They will have enough matches and a difficult enough schedule to have a high seed.

Reactions: FHOSU
I can't remember exactly how the seeding is done, but it's kinda goofy. On one of the FRLs around nationals last year they covered it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT