ADVERTISEMENT

Reloading...

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
well, if it has to do with firearms, chances are I have done it or am now in the process of doing it. So now I'm into reloading. Bought a used Dillon 550 and also bought some Lee hand kits for some of my rifle rounds I don't shoot as much, and also because it's the cheapest way to get into it and make it with the money (the Lee kits that is). I bought the Dillon for some of pistol rounds that I will reload in bulk (9mm, 45, 38, 357) and the kits for 7.62x54R, 30 Remington (best thing I have done for that gun), 44-40 (was lucky to find the little 44-40 Lee kit sitting dusty on a shelf in my local shop), and 45-70 (I have a sweet old 1893 Springfield Trapdoor I need low power rounds).

44-40 is the toughest to reload because of the weak walled cases. But, I have several Henry 44-40 rifles and a Ruger Vaquero all in 44-40. I don't shoot any of them that much, mainly in the fall at the range (something about shooting 44-40 in the fall just seems right lol). The Vaquero is finicky, the throats of the cylinder are tight and the barrel is really .430 (44-40 is usually around .427). So, I have to do things a little differently for it.

The 30 Remington is for my 1915 Remington model 8. Bought some ammo from Reeds Ammunition in OKC for it and I think the guy loaded it a bit too hot, had some primers that were backed out after firing, plus it just seemed like the shots were coming out of there way hotter than some of the other old 30 Remington I had found. Was going to see about sending it back but it's been so long since I bought it I decided to just pull the bullets and reload the brass to my own data I have found.

The Lee kits are fun, although a bit hair raising at times because you are basically hammering bullets together.

Anywho, I'm sure there's others that reload on here. I'm using Bullseye with 4.5 grains for my 9mm with CCI primers. I get my brass either from my own cases from my ammo stash or pick a few up at the range. Everything else I try to use my own cases since I don't trust what I find out there.

I think my next purchase is definitely going to be a chronograph. Seems like a good idea to know what the hell is going on besides just hoping to not see pressure signs lol. Any tips are appreciated...

Reactions: Steven Seagal
Buy some recent or new reloading books with lots of recipes. Buy the best scale you can. Measure your charges. Measure them on the dillan some for accuracy and in the hand loads. If you're working with a single round hand loader and measuring charges into several rounds before seating bullets, cover each round after adding powder so you don't double load a round. Find a good forum that can provide lots of good data. Lots of the shells have been loaded in the millions by hand loaders. No need to reinvent the wheel. If you really want to save money, buy lead,melt it and cast your own bullets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT