ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

I have zero issues with him doing this. The kid works hard at the sport. He is trying to bring excitement to the sport and himself, as he should in the days of the NIL. Do I find it a bit boring, yes. But I believe it is smart on his part to promote himself like he is. I will definitely be tuning in when he has it down to about ten schools though!

I have zero issues with him doing this. The kid works hard at the sport. He is trying to bring excitement to the sport and himself, as he should in the days of the NIL. Do I find it a bit boring, yes. But I believe it is smart on his part to promote himself like he is. I will definitely be tuning in when he has it down to about ten schools though!
As I said, I agree for the most part. I do think the “inner circle” is alittle much.

As you know, I'm not a fan of this sort of self promotion. He has every right to self promote and I have every right to not like it. I just think the "look at me" aspect may end up as a poor cultural fit for several reasons. That's all I'll say on that subject.
One of the best college wrestlers of all time, who happens to wrestle for your team, post stuff on social media that is 1000 times more juvenile and "look at me" than Bassett. He doesn't seem to be effecting the Penn State culture at all.

One of the best college wrestlers of all time, who happens to wrestle for your team, post stuff on social media that is 1000 times more juvenile and "look at me" than Bassett. He doesn't seem to be effecting the Penn State culture at all.
Come on man. I know Beau Bartlett really enjoys those flip videos but does that really make him juvenille? He's a great kid! Also, I think believe he can do it but he definitely should win a title before entering GOAT level convos ;)

McScoreley took my answer. The bastard. I owe you a beer McScoreley.

I'm not a fan of CStar tweets either but for a different reason. I think his issue is two fold. I think he sees himself as an MMA guy at some point, so making himself relevant is part of that trade. I don't like it but I understand he is building his brand for his future business venture. Sometimes he gets out of control (JB trash talk).

Bo's social media is very calculated to maximize income. I have no issue with that. I'm a capitalist after all (cue the Godfather). My concern is how others on the team view Bo potentially earning 3-5 times what they are earning in NIL when they may be a two time champ and he is an incoming freshman. Jealousy is a concern. distraction is a concern (guys wanting what Bo has and concentrating on that). I see no benefit for the team in what Bo is doing. Again, I'm okay with what Bo is doing (it's a free world) but how this plays out in team dynamics concerns me. People on the PSU board think I'm crazy and maybe I am. I'll just trust that Cael has this well in hand if Bo becomes a lion.

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of CStar tweets either but for a different reason. I think his issue is two fold. I think he sees himself as an MMA guy at some point, so making himself relevant is part of that trade. I don't like it but I understand he is building his brand for his future business venture. Sometimes he gets out of control (JB trash talk).

Bo's social media is very calculated to maximize income. I have no issue with that. I'm a capitalist after all (cue the Godfather). My concern is how others on the team view Bo potentially earning 3-5 times what they are earning in NIL when they may be a two time champ and he is an incoming freshman. Jealousy is a concern. distraction is a concern (guys wanting what Bo has and concentrating on that). I see no benefit for the team in what Bo is doing. Again, I'm okay with what Bo is doing (it's a free world) but how this plays out in team dynamics concerns me. People on the PSU board think I'm crazy and maybe I am. I'll just trust that Cael has this well in hand if Bo becomes a lion.
It's a fair concern but that's why the vetting process is important, you want kids who's sole motivator is not money and certainly don't flash cash to wrestlers, which both DT and Cael don't.

I don't think anyone would have complaints at either Ok State or PSU about Bo making more money unless it's a direct payout from the NIL collective and NLWC, which I highly doubt. If he's a hustler like RBY and finds his own sponsorships, how can anyone be mad at that? It's something he invested his own time in.

What is Bo doing though? That is an honest question. When I look at Bo's social verse the hand wringing over him it never adds up to me. He social posts seem pretty standard for a HS kid who is a good at a sport. He doesn't even seem to post much. Beyond his social posts, in interviews he comes across as someone who has his head screwed on straight.

I would be so much more concerned if Bo's social looked like Carter's. But even then Carter being a douche on social doesn't impact the Penn State locker room in the slightest.

Last edited:
The post of Lockett with Bassett is exciting for OK State fans. Has to be!!!! Lockett recruiting top recruits to Stillwater shows he is committed to OK State. And he is the type of recruit that can bring other top recruits to OK State. Throw DT, JIK, and TG into that and top recruits want to wrestle at OK State. Throw in KD at the RTC, if there is any truth to that, and Penn State finally has some work to do. Just saying.

The post of Lockett with Bassett is exciting for OK State fans. Has to be!!!! Lockett recruiting top recruits to Stillwater shows he is committed to OK State. And he is the type of recruit that can bring other top recruits to OK State. Throw DT, JIK, and TG into that and top recruits want to wrestle at OK State. Throw in KD at the RTC, if there is any truth to that, and Penn State finally has some work to do. Just saying.
And I didn't even bring up the type of wrestler that Lockett will be at OK State. He has the potential to be one of the best!

I also like that Blaze is mentioned as being around

1. DT will have the attention of any kid in the country and his recent videos have shown he is a natural salesman. No shock he flipped 2 top kids (Routledge, Robideau) and locked down an uncommitted top kid (Ramirez)

2. The idea Lockett was going to leave Oklahoma State after hiring David Taylor was always hilarious to me. Beyond being a Stillwater kid, he is clearly not motivated by anything but being the best he can be. I know a lot of people (Iowa, ISU fans lol) got hopeful that he might be opening it up because he was just training in Ames (never mind going elsewhere to train is what top kids do in the summer lol) and his "reaffirmation" post just said "I'm focused on worlds" rather than "I'm 100% committed to Oklahoma State" But watching him interview, he's just a kid who isn't a fan of attention in general and is somewhat shocked by the newfound following since his rise to stardom.

There is talk on the Penn State board of Blaze going there, Ohio State, or Purdue. Not too much mention of OK State, besides @AtownPoke having some fun with them. Anyone else hearing anything on him? Number 1 P4P wrestler in high school, and not committed. I have not heard much of anything on him.

There is talk on the Penn State board of Blaze going there, Ohio State, or Purdue. Not too much mention of OK State, besides @AtownPoke having some fun with them. Anyone else hearing anything on him? Number 1 P4P wrestler in high school, and not committed. I have not heard much of anything on him.
Literally no one that I know of. The people who always have info seem to be dry. He doesn’t talk

About the only thing known for sure about Blaze is that he has a desire to stay local enough for his family to attend matches. He is the anti-Bassett with regard to his openness.
In my almost daily search of the OK State Roster for Sakamoto I did see a new wrestler appear on the roster. Jake Hamiti at 141 is shown as a redshirt Freshman. This is Dean Hamiti's brother and last year he was at Florida Gulf Coast University I saw one video of him from a year or two ago when in high school at Joliet Academy in Illinois and he got a fall in the second period. He is tall and rangy but that is all I know about him.

Last edited:
So I don't mind what Bassett is doing at all, I'm a big "if you don't like it, don't follow it" type of guy but .... is he really being open when his updates are, I'm still considering 29 schools? 😂
Clearly no. But I do think he believes he’s showing respect to every school when from our POV it’s just being dishonest to most those schools. Don’t blame him one bit though and I think he’s handling it all well personally

I think Bassett's promotions are harmless enough but why do I get the feeling even so that the wrestling community is
"being played". I'll take being played if he comes here which at this point I do not believe he will. BTW I failed to indicate in my post about Jake Hamiti that Sakamoto is still not on the roster.

I think Bassett's promotions are harmless enough but why do I get the feeling even so that the wrestling community is
"being played". I'll take being played if he comes here which at this point I do not believe he will. BTW I failed to indicate in my post about Jake Hamiti that Sakamoto is still not on the roster.
You may very well be right but we have to start winning some of these big head to head recruiting matches and we have to do it soon. IrregardIess of what Jax, Bassett, Miller etc decide to do… it PSU gets Blaze to go along with the rest of their 24 and 25 class… that’s fairly easily a team title group for the next 4 to 5 years.

Lilledahl, Blaze, Sealey, Ryder, Mirasola twins, PJ Duke, Henckel, Desmond, etc... Yeesh

DT will have to do more with less for the most part and that’s tough to do against Cael. I mean it’s never happened since he’s been in SC.

My point is that we REALLY need to land Blaze and a good portion of the ‘26 studs.

I’m not freaking out or hitting a panic button about it either way and I definitely believe that DT is the guy for the long haul but we may have to be very patient.

You may very well be right but we have to start winning some of these big head to head recruiting matches and we have to do it soon. IrregardIess of what Jax, Bassett, Miller etc decide to do… it PSU gets Blaze to go along with the rest of their 24 and 25 class… that’s fairly easily a team title group for the next 4 to 5 years.

Lilledahl, Blaze, Sealey, Ryder, Mirasola twins, PJ Duke, Henckel, Desmond, etc... Yeesh

DT will have to do more with less for the most part and that’s tough to do against Cael. I mean it’s never happened since he’s been in SC.

My point is that we REALLY need to land Blaze and a good portion of the ‘26 studs.

Man. Don't put Blaze in the "really" category. That wouldn't be fair to DT. Consistently I've heard he wants to stay close to home.

DT NEEDS Bassett/Jax. Because then you're likely getting Miller as well. And if you get Bassett - that shows the rest of the top ten recruits that OSU is next.

Man. Don't put Blaze in the "really" category. That wouldn't be fair to DT. Consistently I've heard he wants to stay close to home.

DT NEEDS Bassett/Jax. Because then you're likely getting Miller as well. And if you get Bassett - that shows the rest of the top ten recruits that OSU is next.
I don’t disagree I’m just painting the picture. If you throw Blaze in there with the rest of that group… its just a massive hill to climb… like Everest

I don’t disagree I’m just painting the picture. If you throw Blaze in there with the rest of that group… its just a massive hill to climb… like Everest

Even without Blaze - PSU has the next 4 years pretty much locked up. Van ness, Kasak, Braeden Davis and Mesenbrink still have 3 years for gosh sakes.

I freaking can't stand Carl. LOL

@AtownPoke and I have had some talks about the Blaze sich.

He's right! CS has never really had a complete lineup from 25 up. Until the last few years, it was 3-4 absolute hammers with 1-2 potential high performers and the rest in the bracket buster mold. The bracket buster for CS is a guy that bonuses and get a low AA or BR type of guy, while everybody else is a strong AA with bonus.

Now, he has a lineup full of hammers that bonus.

That said, if CS gets Blaze, it will be awhile before they are dethroned. We really need him not to be at PSU more than we actually really need him. Don't take that wrong, we really want him I am sure, but if he goes to PSU, it's tough sledding for everybody else for awhile.

DT is assembling a good lineup and I think we will do fine, but can you imagine trotting out an already good group of guys with a yound Dee, Jax, Bassett and Blaze?

True, and if you go back to the first few days after DT was hired, many were stating that the hill required at least five years to climb because of the recruiting cycle. DT's first true recruiting class is 2026. The earliest you will likely see any momentum with his recruits is 2028 nationals when at least one or two of his 2026 class possibly gets high on the podium. The lineup fills out nicely for the 2029 nationals as he will have several of his guys higher on the podium. That's when the "go to OSU to realize your dreams" happens. It may take 5 years to get to the point where past success spawns future success.

This is a long term project. It has taken Cael 15 years to have a near complete lineup for the first time. The joke on our board is that all we need is 8 scoring wrestlers because for many years, we could never get more than 8 scoring wrestlers. There are always going to be gaps. PSU and Cael also didn't have PSU to compete against. We had an Iowa team coming off its double roster titles and the timing was right for Cael to swoop in and win in his second year. Manage the expectations. I know that won't sit well with some of you (an opposing fan telling you to relax and suffer a little longer), but I don't say that for any other reason than I believe DT is building "IT" and in 2/3 years the momentum will build toward some great recruiting classes that will compete for titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT