ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

Great post. I agree completely. DT is nailing it so far IMO. If I had a gun to my head, he is a more important phone call to take as a recruit than anyone not named Cael. Better than Ryan or Brands, or God love him Telford.

If he gets Dake into the RTC, OSU will be a force.
Another thing, DT is mimicing Cael's "Zero Tolerance" approach right now with the team.

Likely a huge culture shock to some kids in terms of discipline and none of these kids signed up to wrestle for him originally. All of them definitely felt hurt for Coleman as well.

Was there a mass exodus? No. Two kids left. A kid who had wanted to start next year and was leaving anyways (AJ Heeg) and all due respect, a notorious flip flopper (Christian Carroll). That definitely speaks to DT's vision and how he sold it to the team.

Similar to how everyone think this is Cael's MO but it's not, this is not DT's MO either. He has money and it will be very well invested to maximize the Oklahoma State wrestling program (which does include NIL) However IMO, that doesn't involve making huge promises to high school kids, no matter how competitive they already are. Certainly not the tone he plans to set Year 1 and 2.

All wrestlers who commit (and there are already great ones and more coming) are coming because they believe in DT as a coach.

Also @AtownPoke previously quoted me but I'll reiterate I would be shocked if Lockett doesn't stick with his commitment (his Instagram picture is still him and his entire family in Cowboy gear) and his commitment is pinned tightly on his page
💯

Reactions: McScoreley
Man, it sure would be nice to get some recruiting news on the "Recruiting News?" thread. It is painfully slow right now.
Well this week has been a dead period for the coaches convention but past that it’s just a ton of wait and see. DT has still been working hard on some ‘25 studs but flipping kids is always a tough endeavor.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Also, as another board member pointed out to me… if you have a Rokfin acct (you should) go to Owrestle and watch Seth D’s interview with McComas. Some interesting tidbits

Last edited:
Also, as another board member pointed out to me… if you have a Rokfin acct (you should) go to Owrestle and watch Seth D’s interview with McComas. Some interesting tidbits
Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

Summer Recap: He went to US Open at 61, lost in BR. Missed weight at Trials, just stated "mistakes happen" and went 0-2 since he was trying to make 61 and had to wrestle 65. He was Daton's partner at trials and was rolling around with Spratley and Hughes also. He added him and Daton have been close forever and he's a mentor to him so he's really happy he is staying. He mentioned he is really close with Lockett as well

Right now: He is enrolled in classes, having fun. He misses the old coaches but bought into new coaching staff, he said he's breaking through in positions he hasn't been able to before (another side of wrestling, calls it controlling and dominating) Asked about differences, he reiterated both coaching staffs were great. But said it's just a different way of practicing now (one song on repeat at practice, he calls chatter bait, get ready for hearing jeers from crowd)

Next year: He doesn't know if he'll redshirt, he would prefer to (and grow) I imagine he will. He's getting bigger though, he said he can get down to 125 (bro ...) but he is about 148 walk around and wants to be a 133. My guess is he's a 141 ultimately.

Seems like a really nice kid

Thanks @AtownPoke and @McScoreley!

That’s good stuff! I guess the chatter bait is what was being referred to as annoying BS at every practice…which was told to me in jest, but it did make me worry that DT was maybe having a hard time relating to beer drinking Cowboys from south of the Mason Dixon?

That appears not to be the case.
I might be wrong here but I don't believe DT drinks

"he said he's breaking through in positions he hasn't been able to before (another side of wrestling, calls it controlling and dominating)"

That's what I was waiting to hear. Great stuff. Next level wrestling.
Few signs of what DT is bringing in from PSU:
1. The obvious practice methodology (PSU wrestlers have talked about it a ton, it's not a secret but I don't know if any school copies)
2. Talking about having fun (duh) Just wait ... Oklahoma State wrestlers are going to be saying it A LOT and people are going to get annoyed (and you'll enjoy every minute of it)
3. Talking about flexibility with weight and redshirting, PSU wrestlers notoriously don't talk about it but know behind the scenes what will happen. Going 125 though ... that borderline seemed like a troll statement (I'm sure he can but I would be floored if any kid cuts like that under DT again)

Thanks @AtownPoke and @McScoreley!

That’s good stuff! I guess the chatter bait is what was being referred to as annoying BS at every practice…which was told to me in jest, but it did make me worry that DT was maybe having a hard time relating to beer drinking Cowboys from south of the Mason Dixon?

That appears not to be the case.
I mean I’ve known quite a few Wyoming cowboys and those boys can put it down. Too bad his dad moved him to Ohio and screwed his whole life up.

That is the most irrelevant rule the NCAA has ever come up with. Each sport will scholarship to their individual economic situation. Exactly ZERO will fund 30 scholarships. What a stupid plan. I had zero respect for the NCAA before this. It's still at zero.

That is the most irrelevant rule the NCAA has ever come up with. Each sport will scholarship to their individual economic situation. Exactly ZERO will fund 30 scholarships. What a stupid plan. I had zero respect for the NCAA before this. It's still at zero.
You have much more respect for what they have done than I do. Completely failed wiht COVID in 2020. Then caved to try to keep football. now backpedaling to try to save face.

Football will break away in a few years and remains to be seen if basketball is able to follow. Then NCAA is left to "olympic sports" and remains to be seen if they become reasonable or try to revert to their draconian ways.

Reactions: bwel9339
DT is going to catch and pass Penn State. May take him a few years but he will do it. Cael is very worried about the ease of recruiting up until now However he has made wrestlers better, but he knows the coaching staff at Ok State will do the same. You put DT, TG, and KD in the same corner, and Cael is worried. As he should be. Anyone that brings up Chris Perry after this is stuck in the past!!!!!

Maybe up north?

Women down here did their learning based off Lonesome Dove, Tombstone and Top Gun...you know, real man stuff. I shudder to think that Ross Gellar or Cosmo Kramer is the benchmark for manly?
Thinking Top Gun was manly. Was it the shirtless volleyball game? Reminds me of Homer Simpson taking Bart to a Steel Mill so he wouldn’t turn gay

You watch your mouth punk… if you haven’t flipped off a mig 28 in an inverted dive then keep your sh!t opinions to yourself.
I watched a very cool documentary a long time ago called “Top Gun and Beyond” with the main focus on how advanced avionics and tech were making fighter pilots obsolete. Plane fuselages and such were so well constructed that they could withstand far more Gs than the human body, so why limit a plane’s capabilities by having a pilot in there. One of the main reasons was that top fighter pilots, the Blue Angels, etc were huge recruiting tools.

They also had a period where test pilots were routinely driving their planes right into the ground for seemingly no reason - no bad weather, no wind shear, no mechanical failure. They found that pilots had so much “noise” going on with automated warnings, directions, etc, that some ended up freezing up from information overload and pretty much just augured right into the ground. They had to scale back on the chatter as even the best can only multi-task so much. It was a pretty fascinating documentary

Can’t you just agree that it’s a really good 80s flick that taunted the ruskies when tensions were high?

If not “really good” can it just be “good?”

Overrated is just too far off…
Yeah I mean it’s certainly not bad by any means. I guess I was just kinda let down by it cos I’d always heard about how iconic it was and then when I watched it, it was just…fine. Like it’s good but I guess I was just expecting more from it.

• Wow
Reactions: FatWoodchuck
Yeah I mean it’s certainly not bad by any means. I guess I was just kinda let down by it cos I’d always heard about how iconic it was and then when I watched it, it was just…fine. Like it’s good but I guess I was just expecting more from it.
Not a very tall hill, you got down pretty quick and easy.

So Top Gun can now be referred to in recruiting threads as a guy we thought would be an all time great, but only ends up being good.

Not a very tall hill, you got down pretty quick and easy.

So Top Gun can now be referred to in recruiting threads as a guy we thought would be an all time great, but only ends up being good.
I mean I still think it’s overrated and that Top Gun Maverick is better. Just cause something’s overrated doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Reactions: chasepollard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT