ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

This thread has gone completely off the rails.

Do we need to start a new one where we can get back to recruiting news, speculation, rumors, opinions…you know, the kind of thing people do on message boards across the country?

MORE wrestling conversation is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. It’s interesting how, from time to time, people come on here and try to stifle wrestling discussion.

Last edited:
That’s half your problem you get on here and talk like you know what you’re talking about and then you come back with some smart ass comment

Come on man…. The vast majority of discussion has been just fine and expected on a fan message board forum.

Much of the concern and criticism of our staff and program is warranted and certainly fair game. We all want to help and we all want to get OSU wrestling back in position to contend for championships.

An increase in interest and discussion is good for this program. Sure it brings some uneducated views into the mix but the increase is still overall helpful.

Keep posting and don’t be shy with your opinions but don’t be so quick to jump on and scold anyone who doesn’t share your opinion or optimism and you will enjoy yourself more on here.

The majority of people on this board have a good understanding of how hard college wrestling is. Even if they didn't wrestle in college or wrestle at all. I think that's part of the allure of the sport for fans, just the physicality and difficulty behind it. I know there are a lot of former wrestlers on here, myself included, that personally understand how hard it is to wrestle in college let alone at the DI level. I never had that drive, but the hard work and sacrifice it takes to get to that level is rare and 90% of high school wrestlers wont make it.

We aren't in the room everyday watching these guys so we don't know what goes on day to day in the room and at practices. That's a lot of why we are on here and what we discuss, trying to get info on recruits, guys health, weight and their development. Most of the info on here is speculative, or passed along. But we are on here because we care, a lot. We love the sport and the program. And there are some real knowledgeable folks on here about wrestling and guys who have been around the sport and supported the program for decades. So, no you don't need to be a college wrestler to have a opinion and you don't need to give money to have a opinion either, although, if you can, anything I'm sure helps. This whole money thing is so new to the sport some of us are still trying to make sense of it. It has completely changed the landscape of college wrestling and how programs are forced to operate now. Like Coach Smith, I don't like it, but I have to get behind it.

@blair2000

I am extremely dumbfounded by your approach! What you are doing is far worse than any comment on a message board can do.

You shamed me for never being a D1 Wrestler and have continued that. So, several people can be bothered by that and just say, "well screw it, Espo doesn't want my support because I haven't been in a D1 room." I don't know that is that harmful, but it is for sure ignorant.

Now you are money shaming. Here is the shame though! I WONT GIVE ONE DAMN PENNY UNTIL I THINK OUR PROGRAM IS HEADED IN A BETTER DIRECTION! Not that anything I can give would help this derailment anyway.

OSU Wrestling is a joke now and the only voice many diehards are hearing is the voice of a guy important to the Program saying we don't care about your support unless it is only money. We don't care about your opinion unless you Wrestled in a D1 room. Hopefully you see how damaging this is?

-John Smith (GOAT) has given no statement of affirmation. Nothing! Crickets from the man that can quell some unrest.
-Assistant HC gets on a message board and scolds fans for being critical.

How do you think these performances would shine in Iowa or Happy Valley? I know I have a lot less respect for OSU Wrestling solely based on your activity here.

So how long did it take Brands to win a NC with the “Hokeyes“ after his transfers sat out (which they don’t have to do now) a year? Think he did it immediately after they were eligible.

So how long did it take Brands to win a NC with the “Hokeyes“ after his transfers sat out (which they don’t have to do now) a year? Think he did it immediately after they were eligible.

That is a terrible comparison. They were still one of the top teams in the country before the portal before Cal Sanderson‘s moved to Penn State and his $10 million to compete against.

@blair2000

I am extremely dumbfounded by your approach! What you are doing is far worse than any comment on a message board can do.

You shamed me for never being a D1 Wrestler and have continued that. So, several people can be bothered by that and just say, "well screw it, Espo doesn't want my support because I haven't been in a D1 room." I don't know that is that harmful, but it is for sure ignorant.

Now you are money shaming. Here is the shame though! I WONT GIVE ONE DAMN PENNY UNTIL I THINK OUR PROGRAM IS HEADED IN A BETTER DIRECTION! Not that anything I can give would help this derailment anyway.

OSU Wrestling is a joke now and the only voice many diehards are hearing is the voice of a guy important to the Program saying we don't care about your support unless it is only money. We don't care about your opinion unless you Wrestled in a D1 room. Hopefully you see how damaging this is?

-John Smith (GOAT) has given no statement of affirmation. Nothing! Crickets from the man that can quell some unrest.

How do you think these performances would shine in Iowa or Happy Valley? I know I have a lot less respect for OSU Wrestling solely based on your activity here.
First off I’m not Esposito I’ve read this board for the last five years I get the frustration everybody has but the negativity towards the team, coaches, the athletes does not help. I just got on here recently, because I find it humorous that the people on here actually think they know what the program needs . maybe one of the reasons there is never no information let out about recruits or portal guys is because they don’t want people to know who there recruiting or who they are chasing in the portal? Once they get how they want then it gets released

@blair2000

Do you really think this guy is an associate HC at OSU?

Reactions: bwel9339 and OHkie
My point is a lot of the comments are from people that have never been there or done that or know what it takes.They our fans, which is great every sport has the couch quarterback
Calling out fans who didn’t wrestle D1 or that aren’t big money donors isn’t helping anything. It’s just alienating the fans and making things worse. Also another one of your complaints is that this board is negative towards the athletes and coaches and that they see it. Well most of everything I’ve seen on this board has been fairly positive towards the athletes. Maybe not as much towards the coaches which is certainly fair after the last couple of years. They should be fair game to receive some criticism in my opinion that’s why they get paid. Also this board is much more mild compared to other college programs boards.

You’re right in saying that if you want OSU wrestling to bounce back and be successful then you need to donate $. But it’s also fair to say that the people you are asking to donate should know where that money is going, what the plan is moving forward, and what changes need to be made. That is completely fair that people know exactly where their money is going. People just want to hear from the head man himself and what his plan is. He hasn’t shown any public interest that I know in fortifying the RTC which we can all agree needs to be done. If coach smith came out publicly supporting the RTC then I bet you’d get more donations. People like to know where their money is going. People that have donated the last few years haven’t seen a return of investment. They have just seen the program decline each year. So why would you continue to keep pouring money into something unless you see or hear a plan from the head guy about what he will do to fix it? We can already see a change regarding the transfer portal by them bringing in guys and that’s great to see them adapt in that aspect but there’s so much more that needs to be done. At the end of the day we all want to see OSU wrestling be successful. I just hope we all can get aligned to make it happen.

Calling out fans who didn’t wrestle D1 or that aren’t big money donors isn’t helping anything. It’s just alienating the fans and making things worse. Also another one of your complaints is that this board is negative towards the athletes and coaches and that they see it. Well most of everything I’ve seen on this board has been fairly positive towards the athletes. Maybe not as much towards the coaches which is certainly fair after the last couple of years. They should be fair game to receive some criticism in my opinion that’s why they get paid. Also this board is much more mild compared to other college programs boards.

You’re right in saying that if you want OSU wrestling to bounce back and be successful then you need to donate $. But it’s also fair to say that the people you are asking to donate should know where that money is going, what the plan is moving forward, and what changes need to be made. That is completely fair that people know exactly where their money is going. People just want to hear from the head man himself and what his plan is. He hasn’t shown any public interest that I know in fortifying the RTC which we can all agree needs to be done. If coach smith came out publicly supporting the RTC then I bet you’d get more donations. People like to know where their money is going. People that have donated the last few years haven’t seen a return of investment. They have just seen the program decline each year. So why would you continue to keep pouring money into something unless you see or hear a plan from the head guy about what he will do to fix it? We can already see a change regarding the transfer portal by them bringing in guys and that’s great to see them adapt in that aspect but there’s so much more that needs to be done. At the end of the day we all want to see OSU wrestling be successful. I just hope we all can get aligned to make it happen.
The RTC has already been addressed

That is a terrible comparison. They were still one of the top teams in the country before the portal before Cal Sanderson‘s moved to Penn State and his $10 million to compete against.
You're right....we've fallen much, much further and still haven't made a coaching change.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
What exactly about the RTC has been addressed? What changes have been made? Must be privately done, which is part of the problem. Leaving the fan base where you look to get donations in the dark.
Uzbekistan National Champion Khayitov Mirzo will be mostly used for the RTC, but has eligibility if needed. Dean Heil. Is back Dakota gear is back . Gary Traub wrestled at Ohio State, and Oregon State for heavyweights And added to the rtc staff, Eric Guerrero

Uzbekistan National Champion Khayitov Mirzo will be mostly used for the RTC, but has eligibility if needed. Dean Heil. Is back Dakota gear is back . Gary Traub wrestled at Ohio State, and Oregon State for heavyweights And added to the rtc staff, Eric Guerrero
I had heard Geer was back, had no idea about the other guys. Didn't see Guerrero coming back, that's surprising.

Do you believe our current RTC wrestlers and staff put us on par with the top RTC’s in the country ?

If true, congratulations to Gas Tank Gary for completing the OSU trifecta!

Do you really think this guy is an associate HC at OSU?
I was beginning to wonder when he didn't dispell it!

I will say, I've been around Espo some and always thought he was very nice and respectful...so I am glad that is not the case.

Either way, money shouldn't be expected in the current state of performance and information. Also, being a D1 Wrestler shouldn't be a pre-requisite to being a vocal fan.

I will say, I've been around Espo some and always thought he was very nice and respectful...so I am glad that is not the case.

Either way, money shouldn't be expected in the current state of performance and information. Also, being a D1 Wrestler shouldn't be a pre-requisite to being a vocal fan.
Keep your

Keep your pennies and come back to watch when you think the team has reached the standard you expect . you sound like a typical front runner.

Neither are yours, at any price. I know you're not very bright, but trying to run off and shut up fans is sorta counter-productive to that sport you seem so concerned about protecting.
Thank you for saying that!

Blair Academics and Oklahoma State are embarrassed that this person competed.

The lack of decorum, awareness and simple grammar are almost as worrisome as our Wrestling Program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT