ADVERTISEMENT

Recommendations please: stained concrete in Tulsa area

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
Anyone had experience with a contractor doing INTERIOR (residential) stained concrete in the Tulsa area that they would give a good recommendation for?

Not interior, but we have a stained driveway done by Concrete Solutions, Broken Arrow. I checked and it looks like they only do exterior, but they might provide a referral.

Have you looked at epoxy instead of stain? It avoids some of the problems with stain -- stripping and rewaxing, fading etc.

It also fills any cracks that may have formed in your concrete and the gloss is like glass and stays that way. My daughter did almost their whole house with multi-colors. Installer also poured concrete and epoxied new kitchen counter-tops and a dining table.

He first touched up the concrete on the floor. It had carpet nail strips throughout the house and a few cracks. He ground everything smooth, filled the cracks with epoxy and then poured colored epoxy. As a liquid, it is self-filling and self-leveling. Turned out beautiful two years ago. They have four dogs, two cats and two kids and haven't messed up the finish anywhere yet.

The kid that did it was a one-man show from the boonies -- like Yale or somewhere east of Stilly. He had an impressive portfolio of jobs he had done, interior and exterior, and he delivered what he promised. No doubt there's a contractor closer to you who can do as well.

I'd be interested in hearing what @boxter thinks of the process. I thought it kicked the stain job at our house in the nards. It's comparable to stain in cost, maybe a little cheaper. We have stain on three floors in the house and also the patio around the pool. We will eventually redo everything in epoxy.

Have you looked at epoxy instead of stain? It avoids some of the problems with stain -- stripping and rewaxing, fading etc.

It also fills any cracks that may have formed in your concrete and the gloss is like glass and stays that way. My daughter did almost their whole house with multi-colors. Installer also poured concrete and epoxied new kitchen counter-tops and a dining table.

He first touched up the concrete on the floor. It had carpet nail strips throughout the house and a few cracks. He ground everything smooth, filled the cracks with epoxy and then poured colored epoxy. As a liquid, it is self-filling and self-leveling. Turned out beautiful two years ago. They have four dogs, two cats and two kids and haven't messed up the finish anywhere yet.

The kid that did it was a one-man show from the boonies -- like Yale or somewhere east of Stilly. He had an impressive portfolio of jobs he had done, interior and exterior, and he delivered what he promised. No doubt there's a contractor closer to you who can do as well.

I'd be interested in hearing what @boxter thinks of the process. I thought it kicked the stain job at our house in the nards. It's comparable to stain in cost, maybe a little cheaper. We have stain on three floors in the house and also the patio around the pool. We will eventually redo everything in epoxy.

Yes. I have, though I admittedly didn't know a lot about it. I assume it's more expensive?

Not interior, but we have a stained driveway done by Concrete Solutions, Broken Arrow. I checked and it looks like they only do exterior, but they might provide a referral.
I am definitely not a fix it person, unless it has to do with a/v. But staining concrete is relatively easy. I stained my driveway and walkway to my front porch. It was so easy I did my back patio the following year.

I am definitely not a fix it person, unless it has to do with a/v. But staining concrete is relatively easy. I stained my driveway and walkway to my front porch. It was so easy I did my back patio the following year.
I've done it myself too but I'm looking for a more polished looking finished product.

Yes. I have, though I admittedly didn't know a lot about it. I assume it's more expensive?

I think the epoxy was comparable or maybe a little cheaper. It may depend on how much prep work the concrete needs.

I stained some driveway in a single color. No big deal, but if I wanted multi-colors indoors I'd want a pro doing it. There are no do-overs. If you get it too dark, you're stuck with it.

All you can do is make it darker and darker. That, or grind the concrete down past the depth of acid stain penetration -- difficult, nasty and expensive to finish -- and then restain it.

I didn't get to see the epoxy guy work. I don't know much about the process or color mixing. He did giant swirls in three shades of gray and light blue that looked great.

I haven't used epoxy floors in a house, only a garage. I've used concrete works out of Norman for a few floors and they do a great job. The problem is they aren't cheap and most of our customers would rather have hardwood for 1/3 more.

I finally got around to remodeling our kitchen. I demoed all the tile in the kitchen, breakfast room and utility room and I'm getting 5" oak hand scraped. We did the office, entry, living and hallways a couple years ago. We both just love it. The only problem is the cost of those damn area rugs. We spent a fortune on them.

I haven't used epoxy floors in a house, only a garage. I've used concrete works out of Norman for a few floors and they do a great job. The problem is they aren't cheap and most of our customers would rather have hardwood for 1/3 more.

I finally got around to remodeling our kitchen. I demoed all the tile in the kitchen, breakfast room and utility room and I'm getting 5" oak hand scraped. We did the office, entry, living and hallways a couple years ago. We both just love it. The only problem is the cost of those damn area rugs. We spent a fortune on them.

Wood floors is another upcoming project we've got. What's the pricing like on the 5" oak hand scraped? I like the look of the hand scraped.

I'm using a lot of the unfinished engineered 5". It works great if there is a transition with tile. There won't be a threshold since the wood is about 5/8". To get the floor prepped, grind with a diamond bit, installed and stained its around $10 per ft. Most guys are charging $.50 for hand scraping.

Nail down over plywood is around 7.50-8.00 per ft.

If you have wood subfloors it gets cheaper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT