ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas on a good outfitter in Colorado?

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
DTS, or others in the know.... I would really appreciate a recommendation (or a few) for a good outfitter for a Colorado Elk Archery hunt. Maybe a drop camp, but open to lodge, base camp, other ideas.
All experienced deer hunters (All OSU grads) but not a lot of experience with elk. So would consider a guided/semi-guided, or we could be on our own.
I mostly am familiar with Unit 76, (West of South Fork/near Creede) but that is near impossible to get drawn into for a bull elk. Open to other ideas/recommendations.
Any help would be appreciated. If not leaving that info here, please email me at rockingkcranch@gmail.com.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
TCP

Finding really good outfitters these days can be tough. Pressure is high and finding someone who has access to private is pretty important, especially on the western slope. My preference is to recommend based on integrity and first hand relationships since I have never used a guide service in Colorado, but I've done a lot of guiding.

Grant and Justin do a good job

Earl Oesterling with Ivory and Antler has access to some fantastic private ground

I've never used this crew but I've been told they do a good job.

Let me know if I can help you more.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
Thanks DTS, I'll look into them. I hunted the flat-tops in 1982 and didn't know what I was experiencing. Elk bugling all over.... and I was deer hunting. Had a huge bull come right under my stand, but didn't see many deer. First mule deer hunt and didn't tag out, was hunting them like whitetails. I learned.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtspoke
Do you have a budget?

Also, is there a reason to avoid New Mexico?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT