ADVERTISEMENT

Really cool before/after aerials of cities, ca. 1950 to today

Anodyne

Heisman Candidate
Mar 29, 2004
Trigger warning: this post references a project affiliated with the University of Oklahoma. If you suffer strong negative feelings about that institution, then please proceed with caution.

I feel dirty linking to anything related to 0U, ever--but particularly just a day after our paddling in GIA. But this is really cool. It is a series of overlays of precisely-aligned aerial shots of cities, with one layer being 'before' massive projects like urban renewal and interstates, and the other being a current image. You slide a bar to 'wipe' from past to present. They have a series for cities in Southeast.

As you might imagine, St Louis and Detroit are among the most stunning. For almost every shot, however, you can see the impact of interstates---just wiping out entire sections. One aspect is a little misleading: the past photos are in black-and-white, while the current ones are in color. This de-emphasizes greenery in the past, and over-emphasizes it in the present, which gives a distorted sense of clearance.

You'll like playing around with the images, if you're an urban planning or spatial history nerd like me. Just try to ignore the webpage header.

This post was edited on 2/1 12:25 PM by Anodyne

Pretty cool. You could really see the maturing of the trees in that Tulsa photo.

Originally posted by long-duc-dong:
Pretty cool. You could really see the maturing of the trees in that Tulsa photo.
I knew someone would come through with a Tulsa tree comment. I even set it up with my mention of greenery.

We need the Google Earth 'tilt' function so we can fully appreciate the hills.

Speaking of Google Earth-- I saw today that GE Pro is now free. So now you can download hi-res images of your mapping project, or record a hi-def video of a 'tour.'

Thanks for posting. This is the kind of stuff I could spend hours looking at.

I learned today that you can make your own juxtaposition swipe aerials by using this free tool from Northwestern. I'm gonna play around with this weekend maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT