ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Mike Holder

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
Several people on this board claim to know Mike Holder, some claim to know him very well. My question is for you.

Aside from his reputation for being standoffish, apart from claims that he is cold and uncaring about his subordinates, is he a man of his word?

I ask because it has been posited that MH screwed the pooch because he wouldn't negotiate on Underwood's agent's timeline.

By the same token it had been stated that when he negotiated the original contract he promised to review at the end of the year.

Am I understanding this correctly?

So MH gave his word he would review/renegotiate the contract at the end of the year. Which by all accounts is what he planned to do.

But for some reason, so goes the rumor, neither Underwood nor his agent took him at his word, were frustrated and furious that he wouldn't negotiate with them when THEY wanted to negotiate. So they bolted to Illinois and dropped hints they would have stayed if MH hadn't been so intransigent.

Is it possible that MH gave his word that he would renegotiate at the end of the year, assumed they knew his word was his bond? So he was completely blindsided by the actions of Underwood and his agent? I've only had very limited interaction with the man. But he struck me as a straight shooter, a no nonsense type of guy who keeps his word and expects you to do the same.

One scenario that has been accepted by many on this board is that MH is a moron in over his head, and is stupid when it comes to contracting with coaches.

Others point out how adept he has been at dealing with donors and has done a superb job of handling the AD's finances.

There seems to be a disconnect between the insiders over MH's tenure.

Mainly I would like to know if MH is an honorable man that sticks to his word.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News