ADVERTISEMENT

Programming Reminder:

aix_xpert

Heisman Winner
Sep 5, 2001
To the Repubs on the board, set your DVR up to record CNN and MSNBC on November 5th starting at 7PM.

To the Libs still here, set your DVR up to record Foxnews and Newsmax.

Assuming '24 is like '16 & '20, the newscasts of the side that loses will make glorious tv watching that will get you to next year's football season.

To the Repubs on the board, set your DVR up to record CNN and MSNBC on November 5th starting at 7PM.

To the Libs still here, set your DVR up to record Foxnews and Newsmax.

Assuming '24 is like '16 & '20, the newscasts of the side that loses will make glorious tv watching that will get you to next year's football season.
"that will get you to next year's football season."

You have my attention.

You need to start watching OU play then. I haven't seen a John Blake offense since John Blake but somehow Venables has managed to bring it back better than Blake did it before. It's pure comedy.
I've watched some OU this year. But its hard to overly care how they are doing when we are as miserably bad as we are. And at least they are making changes to improve it. They fired their OC. They shifted to their freshman QB. There head coach came out and took ownership. We got platitudes from our head coach about how he'll be at work early on Sunday and the team is welcome to join him.

I've watched some OU this year. But its hard to overly care how they are doing when we are as miserably bad as we are. And at least they are making changes to improve it. They fired their OC. They shifted to their freshman QB. There head coach came out and took ownership. We got platitudes from our head coach about how he'll be at work early on Sunday and the team is welcome to join him.
I get it. I wonder what is "the" point where you take a coach who has been as successful as Gundy and replace him with a fresh perspective and is that "the" actual answer. I think a lot of the long time coaches are struggling with the new landscape. How do they adjust? Can they adjust? Adding "highest bidder" to the recruiting pitch has to suck like no other.

I punched out on college sports thanks to NIL and the transfer portal. They can be as greedy as they want but won't get any more of my money or interest.

I get it. I wonder what is "the" point where you take a coach who has been as successful as Gundy and replace him with a fresh perspective and is that "the" actual answer. I think a lot of the long time coaches are struggling with the new landscape. How do they adjust? Can they adjust? Adding "highest bidder" to the recruiting pitch has to suck like no other.

I punched out on college sports thanks to NIL and the transfer portal. They can be as greedy as they want but won't get any more of my money or interest.
My issue with Gundy is that I want OSU to win and to do everything in our power to win. Hiring D3 coordinators at the salary ranges we pay, makes zero sense. It's like paying Mercedes prices to buy a Kia. And I want Gundy to act like he wants to win as much as I want us to win, and to be as upset about losing as I am when we lose. Go watch the Mizzou head coach's press conference when they got blown out by A&M. He came into the conference and apologized to the fans for the teams performance. He owned the results. Gundy is just "aw shucks, we'll try again next week."

My issue with Gundy is that I want OSU to win and to do everything in our power to win. Hiring D3 coordinators at the salary ranges we pay, makes zero sense. It's like paying Mercedes prices to buy a Kia. And I want Gundy to act like he wants to win as much as I want us to win, and to be as upset about losing as I am when we lose. Go watch the Mizzou head coach's press conference when they got blown out by A&M. He came into the conference and apologized to the fans for the teams performance. He owned the results. Gundy is just "aw shucks, we'll try again next week."
I haven't followed any football this year. I get your frustration about Gundy. He's been very successful but seems to have an air of complacency about him by what you described.

Venables hired a former OU player to coach an offense despite that guy getting fired from the juggernaut of North Texas for not producing. Then the answer is fire that guy mid season and replace him with another former OU player who has never called plays in a football game. The result is an offense John Blake would be offended by. That's the kind of product Venables gives at $8.6 million a year? Really?

I get you wanting to see more emotion out of Gundy but that is not who he is or what his program is about. It would be highly hypocritical of him to become emotional the way you want when the culture of his program is to remain level headed, focused and never lose you cool. It may not be what the fans want to see but the fans aren't the ones working their ass off the way those kids and coaches do. Fans see Game Day and a few press conference they do not see behind the scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
I get you wanting to see more emotion out of Gundy but that is not who he is or what his program is about. It would be highly hypocritical of him to become emotional the way you want when the culture of his program is to remain level headed, focused and never lose you cool. It may not be what the fans want to see but the fans aren't the ones working their ass off the way those kids and coaches do. Fans see Game Day and a few press conference they do not see behind the scene.
I can live without the emotion. But leadership = accountability, and I don't hear him taking accountability for what's on the field.

Venables buyout is $44.8 million. OU has been criticized for giving Venables a new 6 year deal when he really hasn't poved he's earned such a windfall.

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner24
I get it but having had a son that played for him for 5 years, I can assure you Gundy is taking responsibility for the results.
I don't have the insider view of the locker room. But I counted at least 10 "Theys" from him in the Baylor press conference. They (the players) need to execute. "They" need to fill their gaps better. If "they" fail to fill gaps in a single game, then its a player problem. If "they" aren't filling those gaps by game 8, its a coaching problem.

I don't have the insider view of the locker room. But I counted at least 10 "Theys" from him in the Baylor press conference. They (the players) need to execute. "They" need to fill their gaps better. If "they" fail to fill gaps in a single game, then its a player problem. If "they" aren't filling those gaps by game 8, its a coaching problem.
I played golf with my son today, he told me he sent a tweet or what ever message to the Cowboy site saying you can sure tell the players spent more time worrying about their NIL money than they did football. He went onto say with the NIL and player greed OSU and all thee other non blue blood schools are going to have problems motivating and retaining players.

NIL and portal have forced me to give up CFB.
There is a lot that I know from the times my son played that I will never share. Got a stern talking to in my son's first year when I shared something they didn't want public. I respected that and will honor that commitment even though my son has graduated and gone but there are times I will share what I can, especially to defend Gundy. Even though I have and do disagree with some of what he has and does do, I have the utmost respect for the man and the coach he is. He did everything he said he would do and more for my son. He told my wife and I we were giving him a kid and he would give us back a man that we could all be proud of. He did that in spades and I couldn't be more pleased or prouder. Speaking as a parent of a former player I can attest that Gundy is the kind of coach you would want for your own son and the University you are proud of. Being a successful coach everyone can be proud of is about much more than wins and losses, even though those wins are important. Sometimes fans forget that.

There is a lot that I know from the times my son played that I will never share. Got a stern talking to in my son's first year when I shared something they didn't want public. I respected that and will honor that commitment even though my son has graduated and gone but there are times I will share what I can, especially to defend Gundy. Even though I have and do disagree with some of what he has and does do, I have the utmost respect for the man and the coach he is. He did everything he said he would do and more for my son. He told my wife and I we were giving him a kid and he would give us back a man that we could all be proud of. He did that in spades and I couldn't be more pleased or prouder. Speaking as a parent of a former player I can attest that Gundy is the kind of coach you would want for your own son and the University you are proud of. Being a successful coach everyone can be proud of is about much more than wins and losses, even though those wins are important. Sometimes fans forget that.
I have nothing but respect for Mike. 👍

How does a 5-peet sound? 😉
OU lost 10 seniors off the greatest senior class the college softball game has ever seen. An NCAA record 71 game win streak. 4 straight national titles.

In 1957 Notre Dame beat OU in a football game. Bud Wilkinson adressed his football team. "Getlemen, you've done what no one will ever do again. You've won 47 games in a row."

I wonder if Patty Gasso has adressed her softball team.

OU lost 10 seniors off the greatest senior class the college softball game has ever seen. An NCAA record 71 game win streak. 4 straight national titles.

In 1957 Notre Dame beat OU in a football game. Bud Wilkinson adressed his football team. "Getlemen, you've done what no one will ever do again. You've won 47 games in a row."

I wonder if Patty Gasso has adressed her softball team.

Patty's a living legend. I'd put her up there with Bud.

Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
I played golf with my son today, he told me he sent a tweet or what ever message to the Cowboy site saying you can sure tell the players spent more time worrying about their NIL money than they did football. He went onto say with the NIL and player greed OSU and all thee other non blue blood schools are going to have problems motivating and retaining players.
I get that NIL makes it a different game. But every school in the Big 12 has to deal with NIL issues, and none of them are blue bloods. Our problem isn't unique. The issue is that our coach doesn't want to adjust to what the new game is. And NIL funding and player recruiting will be THAT much harder going into next year after looking at what the team did this year.

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Also worth noting. In about 5 years (2030?), when the TV contracts come due again, there will likely be another (potentially final) wave of realignment. College football will eventually end up as a Big 2, and if we continue at our current level/trajectory, we won't be invited to the dance. And if that happens, then the entire Athletic department is F'd. Wrestling won't compete. Basketball won't compete. Softball, baseball, etc. If football quits paying the bills, the WHOLE school will suffer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT