ADVERTISEMENT

Possible refinery in Cushing?

Poketologist

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2001
Let's do this.

A high-capacity (250,000 bbl/day), state of the art, environmentally conscious refinery surrounded by tank farms with a total of 90,000,000 barrels capacity and dozens of pipelines flowing in and out.

The literal hub of the hub-and-spokes model. A perfect marriage of upstream and downstream. A potentially convenient and cost effective way to refine the light sweet crude out of Western Oklahoma's major oil fields SCOOP and STACK.

Build it ground-up with 2022 technology instead of trying to re-engineer tech from the 1940's.

High paying jobs here in Oklahoma - specifically in Payne County.

Let's not screw this up

Last edited:
That’s awesome, wonder what kind of infrastructure work would be needed, was there a couple months ago and 33 through town was a mess….maybe stuff like that would have little effect

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Let's do this.

A high-capacity (250,000 bbl/day), state of the art, environmentally conscious refinery surrounded by tank farms with a total of 90,000,000 barrels capacity and dozens of pipelines flowing in and out. The literal hub of the hub-and-spokes model. A perfect marriage of upstream and downstream. A convenient way to refine the light sweet crude out of SCOOP and STACK.

Build it ground-up with 2022 technology instead of trying to re-engineer tech from the 1940's.

High paying jobs here in Oklahoma - specifically in Payne County.

Let's not screw this up

No. They've suffered enough.

Reactions: colcord
Look up cancer death rates along Skull Creek and tell me how good refining has been for Cushing. 8 cancer deaths amongst my dad and his siblings who grew up in that part of town...
Sorry to hear that. But I think you missed the part where I said "environmentally conscious".

It's the 2020's, there is no way a new plant could be built anywhere without that condition. Literally everyone is aware of the presence of Cancer Clusters.
Even Conoco in Ponca City had to clean up its Superfund site back in the 1990's.

Last edited:
Look up cancer death rates along Skull Creek and tell me how good refining has been for Cushing. 8 cancer deaths amongst my dad and his siblings who grew up in that part of town...
Look up floppy disk. Oh man I am on fire today.

season 1 GIF by Imaginary Mary on ABC

That’s awesome, wonder what kind of infrastructure work would be needed, was there a couple months ago and 33 through town was a mess….maybe stuff like that would have little effect
Hiway 33 has been a mess since the 1980's. They'll need a bypass around the city. I imagine they'll build dedicated shipping routes - road and rail; which are useful for the heavy solid products like coke and asphalt. There's also an airport on the south side of town for executive travel. .

The hydrocarbon liquid and gases can be piped in and out. It's likely the pipelines and tanks around the new refinery will be significantly updated.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for your loss, looks like 20% of Payne county is below the poverty line…would a refinery and its economic benefits improve poverty death rates in any way? Do the needs, users, etc for alternatives to oil and refineries cause cancer or have other health ramifications? Have they been around long enough to know?

These are legitimate questions I have, a lot of unknowns, so my answer on the fly is the refinery would be great for the area and Oklahoma

“Steven Ward, managing partner at Southern Rock Energy, told The Oklahoman the operation, the first major refinery to be built in 40 years, will feature several green energy features that will include use of solar power and recycled water and cut 90% of emissions associated with existing refineries.”

I’m intrigued. Would be cool if mouth and money meet here and Oklahoma also actually prospers as a state with the revenue.

“Steven Ward, managing partner at Southern Rock Energy, told The Oklahoman the operation, the first major refinery to be built in 40 years, will feature several green energy features that will include use of solar power and recycled water and cut 90% of emissions associated with existing refineries.”

I’m intrigued. Would be cool if mouth and money meet here and Oklahoma also actually prospers as a state with the revenue.
Shit britches has longed to answer yer questions.

I’m sorry for your loss, looks like 20% of Payne county is below the poverty line…would a refinery and its economic benefits improve poverty death rates in any way? Do the needs, users, etc for alternatives to oil and refineries cause cancer or have other health ramifications? Have they been around long enough to know?

These are legitimate questions I have, a lot of unknowns, so my answer on the fly is the refinery would be great for the area and Oklahoma

everyone in Payne county who is poor is poor by choice. Other than physical or mental disability, it’s a lifestyle choice. The votech in Stillwater offers careers and grants/loans for tuition. Drumright on the other side of cushing has one as well.

Reactions: wyomingosualum
This is horrible, and hate to hear it.

That said, I'm curious, do you have theories about how your family members may have been exposed to carcinogens? Was water at their homes provided via well water? Were they in such close proximity to refining (now shuttered) and/or storage facilities that you believe benzene, other VOC's, or other toxic vapors may have been a source of continual and prolonged exposure?

This is horrible, and hate to hear it.

That said, I'm curious, do you have theories about how your family members may have been exposed to carcinogens? Was water at their homes provided via well water? Were they in such close proximity to refining (now shuttered) and/or storage facilities that you believe benzene, other VOC's, or other toxic vapors may have been a source of continual and prolonged exposure?
They were poor. They ate fish from, drank from and swam in Skull Creek from the 40's to the 60's. 10 of the 12 family members contracted colon cancer (1 as a kid, the rest as adults). 8 died from it or a metastasized variant of cancer. Only one is still with us - I am looking forward to seeing Uncle Bill in a week or so. He survived his bout with the big C. I love that old cuss.

Last edited:
They were poor. They ate fish from, drank from and swam in Skull Creek from the 40's to the 60's. 10 of the 12 kids contracted colon cancer. 8 died from it or a metastasized variant of cancer. Only one is still with us - I am looking forward to seeing Uncle Bill in a week or so. He survived his bout with the big C. I love that old cuss.
Soak up that time with your Uncle Bill!

Re: the Cushing area, I firmly believe that cancer clusters can always be traced to a root cause and there is no doubt in my mind that the Hudson, Kerr McGee, and dozens of other smaller refineries that once operated in the Cushing area poisoned the soil, ground and surface water, Vanoss aquifer, etc.

That said, current technology and practices do not faintly resemble what was available to those previous mega polluters. Moreover, a modern refinery will be subject to Draconian oversight and, as such, I believe the environmental impact will have no similarity to the results once realized.

Storage tanks have vastly improved. Ground water is tested. Hazardous by-products are thermally destructed and emissions are monitored 24/7. Ambient air is monitored. In short, the refining process is cleaner and significantly more efficient, so I would welcome the new refinery.

The economic impact would transform the area and provide a better quality of life for the residents in the region.

Re: the Cushing area, I firmly believe that cancer clusters can always be traced to a root cause and there is no doubt in my mind that the Hudson, Kerr McGee, and dozens of other smaller refineries that once operated in the Cushing area poisoned the soil, ground and surface water, Vanoss aquifer, etc.

That said, current technology and practices do not faintly resemble what was available to those previous mega polluters. Moreover, a modern refinery will be subject to Draconian oversight and, as such, I believe the environmental impact will have no similarity to the results once realized.

Storage tanks have vastly improved. Ground water is tested. Hazardous by-products are thermally destructed and emissions are monitored 24/7. Ambient air is monitored. In short, the refining process is cleaner and significantly more efficient, so I would welcome the new refinery.

The economic impact would transform the area and provide a better quality of life for the residents in the region.
Yes. All of this.

Reactions: davidallen

I just hope the government leaves it up to the residents to decide if they believe the economic benefit is worth the increased cancer risk. But I suspect a liberal nanny who has no ties to the area will shut this down as they always "know what's best" for everyone else.

Terry is not a sales guy, but he gets things done. HWY 33 is a mess because Terry was behind finally getting the $8 million project underway that will completely change the look of the city. They had to secure right of way easements on hundreds of properties on the roadway. It’s a 50 year project that will take 2 years to complete. He was also key in retaining the local private prison after CoreCivic was ready to abandon it by securing a contract with the US Marshal Service. It saved hundreds of jobs. He has done all of this while fighting cancer. He’s a badass.

With respect to the refinery, it is a long shot at best if for no other reason that the Feds won’t even allow Keystone to be built. It’s an even longer shot when you consider Southern Rock is based out of El Campo, TX and they are choosing between Cushing and El Campo.

It is apparent you are unaware of the advances in technology with regards to pollution, leakage, containment and refining processes in the last 50 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT