ADVERTISEMENT

Possible refinery in Cushing?

Soak up that time with your Uncle Bill!

Re: the Cushing area, I firmly believe that cancer clusters can always be traced to a root cause and there is no doubt in my mind that the Hudson, Kerr McGee, and dozens of other smaller refineries that once operated in the Cushing area poisoned the soil, ground and surface water, Vanoss aquifer, etc.

That said, current technology and practices do not faintly resemble what was available to those previous mega polluters. Moreover, a modern refinery will be subject to Draconian oversight and, as such, I believe the environmental impact will have no similarity to the results once realized.

Storage tanks have vastly improved. Ground water is tested. Hazardous by-products are thermally destructed and emissions are monitored 24/7. Ambient air is monitored. In short, the refining process is cleaner and significantly more efficient, so I would welcome the new refinery.

The economic impact would transform the area and provide a better quality of life for the residents in the region.
Those refineries were built over 100 years ago.

Got a long ways to go. Got to beat out Victoria, TX and that won’t be easy.

Can someone tell me what Cushing and the State are doing to facilitate making this happen?

My guess is it's probably inept if not non-existent.

I'd love to get a new, green refinery in Cushing.

It's such a challenge to attract business in Oklahoma because of our education, I'm skeptical. But if there are environmental issues with refining, I'd expect them to seriously consider Oklahoma given how lax we are on regulating pollution.

I'd love to get a new, green refinery in Cushing.

It's such a challenge to attract business in Oklahoma because of our education, I'm skeptical. But if there are environmental issues with refining, I'd expect them to seriously consider Oklahoma given how lax we are on regulating pollution.

What's your opinion of Dr. Shrum's new Strategic Vision and Initiative for Oklahoma State?

Can you cite specific disparities between current Oklahoma pollution regulation and other states?

What's your opinion of Dr. Shrum's new Strategic Vision and Initiative for Oklahoma State?

Can you cite specific disparities between current Oklahoma pollution regulation and other states?
I love Shrum, I didn't know it was finished. What'd she come up with? I hope she can raise some serious $$.

I've heard operators discuss how the OCC field guys are a revolving door to private jobs. They don't want to anger operators or it may cost them a job. The Commission is such a paper tiger, it's ran by the utilities and oil and gas industry FOR those industries. I know of one instance where the MIT failed -- like, plainly it was bad. The OCC field guy knew and looked the other way and then the new operator raised hell to no avail. Their reputation in the industry is that they're pretty easy.

Can someone tell me what Cushing and the State are doing to facilitate making this happen?

My guess is it's probably inept if not non-existent.

I don’t think a town of 8,000 is capable of moving the needle on a $6 billion project.

Maybe some of you all that are more tied into refining can answer me this. The crude available in Cushing is going to be somewhat different than the crude available in El Campo. If true it would seem the economics of each project would be quite a bit different. It seems odd you’d be selecting from two alternative sites. This isn’t like a Tesla plant that you just drop anywhere. The logistics are much more complex.

I don’t think a town of 8,000 is capable of moving the needle on a $6 billion project.

Maybe some of you all that are more tied into refining can answer me this. The crude available in Cushing is going to be somewhat different than the crude available in El Campo. If true it would seem the economics of each project would be quite a bit different. It seems odd you’d be selecting from two alternative sites. This isn’t like a Tesla plant that you just drop anywhere. The logistics are much more complex.
Why don't they consult with Prior. They've attached major projects to their community. Of course, they had the foresight to build a power plant near their industrial park and offer very attractive long-term energy contracts.

Were they ever overhauled? Were they running the same processes in 1980 that they were in 1930?
Overhauled? Yes, to some extent. They perform what is commonly referred to as a "turnaround" which changes valves, screens and other shutdown maintenance requirements. For the most part it is near impossible to make major changes to a refinery process once installed. Upgrades can add safety features but the actual process or production flows won't change much. Changing the piping, pressure vessels, heating units, boilers and separation units makes the economic viability a non-starter. The norm is for refineries to be retired and salvaged and newer ones constructed. New refineries are technologically impressive.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Overhauled? Yes, to some extent. They perform what is commonly referred to as a "turnaround" which changes valves, screens and other shutdown maintenance requirements. For the most part it is near impossible to make major changes to a refinery process once installed. Upgrades can add safety features but the actual process or production flows won't change much. Changing the piping, pressure vessels, heating units, boilers and separation units makes the economic viability a non-starter. The norm is for refineries to be retired and salvaged and newer ones constructed. New refineries are technologically impressive.
Appreciate the info. My previously mentioned uncle ran turn arounds at Hudson as well as new process installations. The old core refinery was largely retired in the 1960s as I understand it and new processes added up until the late 1970s. That is the point I was making. It is not as if these plants were frozen in time from their original installation in the 1920s.

Appreciate the info. My previously mentioned uncle ran turn arounds at Hudson as well as new process installations. The old core refinery was largely retired in the 1960s as I understand it and new processes added up until the late 1970s. That is the point I was making. It is not as if these plants were frozen in time from their original installation in the 1920s.
I’m sure they weren’t frozen in time, but I think our approach to environmental safety has evolved since then.

I love Shrum, I didn't know it was finished. What'd she come up with? I hope she can raise some serious $$.

I've heard operators discuss how the OCC field guys are a revolving door to private jobs. They don't want to anger operators or it may cost them a job. The Commission is such a paper tiger, it's ran by the utilities and oil and gas industry FOR those industries. I know of one instance where the MIT failed -- like, plainly it was bad. The OCC field guy knew and looked the other way and then the new operator raised hell to no avail. Their reputation in the industry is that they're pretty easy.

https://go.okstate.edu/about-osu/leadership/president/strategic-plan/

https://go.okstate.edu/announcements/presidential-announcements/strategy-unveiled.html

I expect a detailed opinion by EOB Monday.

Why?

Do you believe it addresses education in Oklahoma comprehensively enough to address the issue you raise ITT?
Because it's a step in the right direction. Also, we pay Dr. Shrimp for her judgment, I don't have her expertise or knowledge base. She's smart and capable, imo.

No. I was referring to primary education. The world of higher ed is its own thing. I don't think we're 49th in higher education, but I haven't seen any #'s, either.

Are you supportive of her plan, Brad?

Reactions: davidallen
It has to do with our current standards and practices related to pollution in the oil industry.
Standards are very high, but nothing is perfect when humans are involved. Post Covid we have also seen an increase in accidents.

Standards are very high, but nothing is perfect when humans are involved. Post Covid we have also seen an increase in accidents.
The evolution of ecological protection is very evident in the tank farms. I have had the good fortune of being involved with pipelines in and out of some of the most modern and high technology refineries in the world. Ras Laffan in Qatar, Jubail Ali, Arabian Sea in Saudi and Yanbu, Red Sea Saudi are extremely high standard and very well managed. These facilities are very high security granted access and the control systems are computer monitored and accessed. The maintenance and cosmetic upkeep are 24/7/365.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Hey David, you eat only sustainably sourced fish also? Crab fishery in AK just crashed. More to come. But hey in 60 years when the oceans are dead, I will worry about this refinery in OK.

The evolution of ecological protection is very evident in the tank farms. I have had the good fortune of being involved with pipelines in and out of some of the most modern and high technology refineries in the world. Ras Laffan in Qatar, Jubail Ali, Arabian Sea in Saudi and Yanbu, Red Sea Saudi are extremely high standard and very well managed. These facilities are very high security granted access and the control systems are computer monitored and accessed. The maintenance and cosmetic upkeep are 24/7/365.
Who owns and runs them?

Hey David, you eat only sustainably sourced fish also? Crab fishery in AK just crashed. More to come. But hey in 60 years when the oceans are dead, I will worry about this refinery in OK.

Isn't it sickening?

The salmon runs are about over, too. It's just a nightmare.

Who owns and runs them?
A wide variety of ownership. The smaller ones, like on gulf coast USA are often privately held. They contract to process crude for different clients. The major oil companies often own refineries. As I recall, Texas City, Texas refineries are owned by Valero and Marathon. Ras Laffan in Qatar is owned by Chevron Phillips JV and Qatar Petroleum Corp. Saudi Aramco owns refineries is the USA but keep in mind that Aramco is also a Texas registered corporation. British Petroleum is another US refinery owner. Refineries in Saudi Arabia set up a single company, Saudi Arabia Refineries that owns all or majority of the various refineries. Same for management or operations. This is often driven by issues such as liability etc. Majors will often not relinquish operational management due to the ability to secure liability insurance on a grand scale.

So you are all for the beef industry then, right? You would vote against fart taxes on the beef industry.
If the money would be earmarked for something productive to stop climate change I just might! I think you were probably put on Earth just for this reason: to measure and sniff cow farts.

Guy thinks government runs things better than the private sector. Lol

We can always rely on you guys for the thick, irrelevant, repetition. Yes, we know -- private industry is better. Government is probably why the crabs and salmon are disappearing, right?

Ras Laffan in Qatar is owned by Chevron Phillips JV and Qatar Petroleum Corp.

Refineries in Saudi Arabia set up a single company, Saudi Arabia Refineries that owns all or majority of the various refineries. Same for management or operations. This is often driven by issues such as liability etc. Majors will often not relinquish operational management due to the ability to secure liability insurance on a grand scale.

I was wondering who built these clean state of the art refineries you were talking about. It sounded like you were saying the ones in the ME were greener than the ones here. I'm just curious if government $ went into those refineries. It may not be economically realistic for oil companies to build those here.

If the money would be earmarked for something productive to stop climate change I just might! I think you were probably put on Earth just for this reason: to measure and sniff cow farts.
Bless Hocus Pocus GIF

• Haha
Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
So you are all for the beef industry then, right? You would vote against fart taxes on the beef industry?
You are quite the pescophiliac - I try to eat sustainable seafood when it is knowable. I also support the beef industry. Why this very weekend I hope to meet up with some folks in the feedlot business to talk about a company we are using vision AI to identify cows in distress on the lot. You know anyone who runs a feed lot I could get some time with over the homecoming weekend?

You are quite the pescophiliac - I try to eat sustainable seafood when it is knowable. I also support the beef industry. Why this very weekend I hope to meet up with some folks in the feedlot business to talk about a company we are using vision AI to identify cows in distress on the lot. You know anyone who runs a feed lot I could get some time with over the homecoming weekend?
About 5 guys off this site.

I was wondering who built these clean state of the art refineries you were talking about. It sounded like you were saying the ones in the ME were greener than the ones here. I'm just curious if government $ went into those refineries. It may not be economically realistic for oil companies to build those here.
Bechtel out of San Francisco designed and were Project Managers on the Saudi facilities. Bechtel has been entrenched in Saudi for many years. There were several contractors involved in the various stages of development. Chicago Bridge and Iron (CBI) where a major player. Saudi has a group called Saudi Basic Industries (SABIC) that is 70% owned by Aramco that produces many different products within these complexes in Jubail and Yanbu.

Qatar is an LNG facility and was designed by Fluor-Daniel in Houston and Chevron Phillips were the Project Manager. Many contractors. Conoco Phillips had a guy that was a very experienced kingpin in LNG Train Building. He was in Qatar for the full LNG facility development. Qatar and Saudi facilities are majority owned by their government.

It is no secret that foreign development is much easier and of higher standards than in the USA. The USA has far too many regulating authorities, restrictions and permitting that adds extreme admin and certification cost to the project. Way too many bureaucrats in the USA. Example: An Environmental Impact Study for pipelines is submitted, reviewed, refined or approved within 2 months in Saudi with fast track services that can take as little as two weeks with a trip to the ministry in Riyadh. It takes over a year in the US. I suspect building a refinery in the US is based on the "path of least resistance". My career was 100% international but I worked with many Americans that worked in the US.

So you are all for the beef industry then, right? You would vote against fart taxes on the beef industry?

We can always rely on you guys for the thick, irrelevant, repetition. Yes, we know -- private industry is better. Government is probably why the crabs and salmon are disappearing, right?

Bless yer ever lovin heart. 🤣

Bechtel out of San Francisco designed and were Project Managers on the Saudi facilities. Bechtel has been entrenched in Saudi for many years. There were several contractors involved in the various stages of development. Chicago Bridge and Iron (CBI) where a major player. Saudi has a group called Saudi Basic Industries (SABIC) that is 70% owned by Aramco that produces many different products within these complexes in Jubail and Yanbu.

Qatar is an LNG facility and was designed by Fluor-Daniel in Houston and Chevron Phillips were the Project Manager. Many contractors. Conoco Phillips had a guy that was a very experienced kingpin in LNG Train Building. He was in Qatar for the full LNG facility development. Qatar and Saudi facilities are majority owned by their government.

It is no secret that foreign development is much easier and of higher standards than in the USA. The USA has far too many regulating authorities, restrictions and permitting that adds extreme admin and certification cost to the project. Way too many bureaucrats in the USA. Example: An Environmental Impact Study for pipelines is submitted, reviewed, refined or approved within 2 months in Saudi with fast track services that can take as little as two weeks with a trip to the ministry in Riyadh. It takes over a year in the US. I suspect building a refinery in the US is based on the "path of least resistance". My career was 100% international but I worked with many Americans that worked in the US.
I've wondered why the Indians haven't tried building one.

Yes private industry is better. It’s why the US is the GOAT.

Not anymore. One of our wells fails an MIT and it’s shut in and checked on frequently to make sure it stays that way. MIT’s are even tougher. You have to hold pressure for 30 minutes. Back in the day if it pressured up and held for 30 seconds they were good. The OCC is by no means a paper tiger. Deal with them almost daily and they are pretty damn strict especially in Oklahoma county.

I've wondered why the Indians haven't tried building one.
They have a huge refinery complex in Kandla, Gujarat. It is fed by ONGC Bombay High Field (offshore). Their technology is sh!t. They cut corners and go cheap. The Indians are building a large refinery in Lekki Free Trade Zone in Nigeria for Aliko Dangote. It is 1970s technology. Most countries refused to participate in the construction due to the Indian designed by Engineers India Ltd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT