ADVERTISEMENT

Places to Retire

The Duke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin TX
name your top 3 *financially realistic* retirement destinations. I can’t buy Necker Island, even after the hurricane damage.

My current top 3 (wife and I):
- Santa Fe
- Stillwater
- somewhere in the Hill Country of Texas

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Florida or Texas. For retirement plans you pay state income tax on where your primary residence is at time of withdrawal not on where the money was earned. Even more reason with the decrease in the ability to write off state income taxes on federal income tax.

We have thought about this. I have young retirement or old retirement. I think toward the end of my retirement I probably end up in urban areas where I can walk to food and other things. Young I have thought about Colorado, Stillwater, or a beach crosses my mind. With the beach I love just having to throw on a T-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. I think it really depends on what my kids end up doing.

I retired in June of 2016 and moved to Cedar City, Utah which is located in southwest Utah, and here are the reasons why:

1. I have all of the outdoor activities you could want.
a. Outstanding hiking and hunting
b. Plenty of snowmobiling and ATV opportunities
c. Good fishing
b. If I played golf, I would be within an hour of 10 golf courses
2. It is a small town, approximately 30,000 people, that has a low cost of living
3. Great medical facilities in S. George which is 45 minutes away
4. Great climate

The key to retirement is that you have to keep yourself busy

I've contemplated splitting time between Wyoming and Arizona, which would require rather humble dwellings in either location unless some things turn out much better than average for me in the next 20 years.

I have plenty of time though so my plans are fluid.

Reactions: wyomingosualum
Probably someplace in Caribbean, but somewhere warm and where I can scuba dive. Almost bought a property in Ambergris Caye (island off Belize) two years ago. May go there, but more likely now Puerto Rico or USVI.

name your top 3 *financially realistic* retirement destinations. I can’t buy Necker Island, even after the hurricane damage.

My current top 3 (wife and I):
- Santa Fe
- Stillwater
- somewhere in the Hill Country of Texas
Mine are:

• Somewhere in the Hill Country of Texas
  • Durango, CO (or possibly Fort Collins)
  • Stillwater

Mine are:

• Somewhere in the Hill Country of Texas
  • Durango, CO (or possibly Fort Collins)
  • Stillwater

I would throw in the Pagosa Springs area as #4. I know Durango is a larger town, hear good things but haven’t been there yet.

Last edited:
We will retire somewhere between Ft. Meyers and Naples.

Why:

Warm weather
Live off the coast
Not heavily populated
Year round golf

We will retire somewhere between Ft. Meyers and Naples.

Why:

Warm weather
Live off the coast
Not heavily populated
Year round golf
Not heavily populated? I guess that is relative.

My father has lived in Bonita Springs for last 25 years. Winter time has a lot of people down there. But beaches are beautiful and lots of great golf.

My father has lived in Bonita Springs for last 25 years. Winter time has a lot of people down there. But beaches are beautiful and lots of great golf.
Let me make this relative. I have lived in NYC and now Dallas. For me, not that populated.

Reactions: 3Gamma and cableok

Bonita Springs and Estero are very nice.

Port Charlotte is also a place we will consider.

I may just stay in Nashville. Pretty much year round golf, lot's of friends, low cost of living, no state income taxes, and great medical facilities.
Other areas I may consider:
Texas
Stillwater/Tulsa
Hot Springs

What about Belize safety and medical
I have vacationed there twice, but both times on the Ambgris Caye island. Appeared very safe to me. Ambergris Caye is the island Madonna sang about in “La Isla Bonita” FWIW.
Currency in Belize is tied to USD, which is convenient. And you can use USD everywhere.

Don’t know about medical.

Edmond, OKC, or near my kids (wherever that is).

I've contemplated splitting time between Wyoming and Arizona, which would require rather humble dwellings in either location unless some things turn out much better than average for me in the next 20 years.

I have plenty of time though so my plans are fluid.

My wife and I have started talking about this. Her parents live in the Tucson area and we visited them over Christmas break. The weather was spectacular. Once the kids are gone, I can easily envision us dragging the travel trailer down there for a month or more every winter.

I have a buddy in Lake Havasu City. If you live there less than half the year, you don’t get docked for state income tax. He said the state is very proactive about checking utility records and such to see how much time you spend there. Maybe somebody who lives there can provide more info on this,

Anyway, I’m liking the snowbird idea and we are about 4 years out.

The only international destination I would consider is Vermont/Hermanus, South Africa.

Some of you that know me realize I spend a lot of time in South Africa. I love the people and the pure beauty of the land. Since it is in the Southern Hemisphere I could live in warm weather year round and do whale watching in September. The wine is incredible. My wife is always concerned I will move the family there full time.

The biggest downside is the long ass flight but it is worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT