ADVERTISEMENT

OU changes

Quick! Grab Schwartz, Neinjhaus, Buchanan…who else?!? 😊

Reactions: bwel9339
Quick! Grab Schwartz, Neinjhaus, Buchanan…who else?!? 😊
How about Joey Cruz. I think OSU made his short list last year along with Ark Little Rock because he built a relationship with Chandler Rogers (now at OSU). OSU has a better opportunity for him at 125 now than a year ago too.

How about Joey Cruz. I think OSU made his short list last year along with Ark Little Rock because he built a relationship with Chandler Rogers (now at OSU). OSU has a better opportunity for him at 125 now than a year ago too.
There was a post on the OU board about Cruz a couple of months ago. Posted by one of their insiders. It said he was in Stillwater at the beginning of the season, but left when it was determined he would lose a year of eligibility if he remained.

They are all over the place with names the fan base is wanting.

Seem to be the most thrown out
Teyon Ware
Todd Steidley
Rodney Jones
Kendric Maple

Dake
Burroughs
Storniolo
Could there be a connection between recent Northwestern defects and Storniolo being the guy?

Unlikely, both big transfers are guys who graduated - that's a fact of life at a school with high academic standards, many go to grad school elsewhere. With the portal era upon us, I think that'll be more and more common for the elite academic schools.

It's an interesting question though - would Storniolo even want the OU job? Northwestern has been clearly more successful since he's been there and he has AD support and the Big Ten. The roster limits and high academic requirements are likely thorns in his side though.

OU will be searching for a conference to get into after next year. May hurt their searching for a new head coach.

Willie has a podcast he put up on Mat Scouts yesterday and talks a lot about the OU coaching situation along with other things like the Ferrari's to Iowa etc. Pretty sure he put it out before the news of Koll dropped though because Koll was never mentioned in his potential coaching hires. Something interesting he did mention that would be a long shot hire but name could possibly be in the mix was Matt Surber.

According to the OU board they are going after Koll hard. Their big boosters wanted Lou out.

One of the posters predicted OU will pass OSU within 3 years if they get him. That seems quick, but I think 4-5 years is pretty realistic. Koll is too good at recruiting, fundraising, and staffing to fail IMO.

Good to hear it doesn’t sound like OU is dropping wrestling. Koll seems to like the private school environment, not sure what advantage moving to OU would be. He’s got Deakin on his staff, who is a stud.

Reactions: osu2082
Sounds like Ou is more aggressive than OSU about wrestling and wants it more than OSU does. Kinda sad but more of the same at OSU is what our program is now. Look at basketball the last 15 years at OSU

Reactions: Wrassler17
Rumors are Koll isn’t a lock and possible passed on the offer. He was on a super short list. One made up on the board likely. Lol

Rumors are Koll isn’t a lock and possible passed on the offer. He was on a super short list. One made up on the board likely. Lol
No. He was there this past weekend. Declined the offer. But definitely was going if Stanford didn't pony up.

Word is that foremost they want someone with head coaching experience. My guess is they’d also like him to be an OU guy.

I’d like Storniolo if that’s the case.

If not, there are some bigger names that I think are poachable. Cary Kolat for starters.

Word is that foremost they want someone with head coaching experience. My guess is they’d also like him to be an OU guy.

I’d like Storniolo if that’s the case.

If not, there are some bigger names that I think are poachable. Cary Kolat for starters.
There is talk of Nickerson.

There is talk of Nickerson.
That's the word on the street.

Not sure I understand unless they've been turned down by some of the others mentioned in this thread. He's been at UNC since 2014 and has 1 all-american to his credit.

Nickerson doesn't seem to fit the narrative of what OU was rumored to be looking for in a coach. Maybe we are overestimated the desire a experienced DI coach has to want to take the OU job. Money talks, but if there is some uncertainty surrounding the program once they join the SEC then that would make sense why a lot of names would turn it down.

Nickerson doesn't seem to fit the narrative of what OU was rumored to be looking for in a coach. Maybe we are overestimated the desire a experienced DI coach has to want to take the OU job. Money talks, but if there is some uncertainty surrounding the program once they join the SEC then that would make sense why a lot of names would turn it down.

Spates is turning it into a clown show. Wants HC experience, but wants the AC staff to be able to stay on.

We need OU to get better. This is a dissapointment.
Provided they compete in the Big 12 &/or continue Bedlam. Has there been any word on the conference issue? Have to wonder if the uncertainty isn't a big negative for potential coaches.

Reactions: osudog
The struggle a lot of people have I think is separating what might be good for wrestling from the larger picture of what both Texas and OU did to the big 12.

Even though both added things to the conference, they both from the beginning hamstrung the other conference members from becoming more competitive with the LHN and LHN lite that OU had.

From the beginning and thru how their exit unfolded they both acted selfishly (as compared to how top universities in the Big 10 and SEC acted) and from what we could see on the surface made little to no attempt to make the Big 12 competitive.

At this point I'm uncertain as to how much OU does and/or will add to the strength of the expanded Big 12 wrestling conference. May be too much emotion speaking but I'm in the camp of you guys made this bed so go sleep in it.

Last edited:
Originally I thought OU would keep the wrestling program after the move. Now after this coaching saga they've had I am skeptical. It would make sense for them to keep the program and be an affiliate to the Big12. It's a easy transition to keep up with the title 9 matching men's and women's sports otherwise if they drop it they will lack 1 men's program to women's. I find it hard to see them dropping wrestling and adding say a soccer or swim/dive team. Mainly due to the funding it would require to add those sports with new facilities etc. I would assume all these said sports generate around the same revenue which really has no impact on the overall revenue generated across the board from all sports. I hope they keep the wrestling program alive even though I think it was a stupid decision to move to the SEC.

OU wrestling is well funded, so I doubt it gets dropped. According to the OU board Rosselli had 2 years left on his contract, but the boosters paid it off to make the head coaching change now.

Read an article on D1 wrestling operating budgets a few years ago. It took the average budget for each school over a 4 year period (2016-2019). OU was 4th with an average budget of $1.859M per year. We were 5th with an average of $1.827M per year.

The article was very interesting because it looked at which schools were the most efficient in terms of producing AAs and scoring points at NCAAs. Basically the wrestling equivalent of ROI.

Reactions: osudog
Which we would take a run a Buchanan, Picklo and Prata if he has any eligibility left. Throw in Mitch Moore and Jared Hill. If for anything depth purposes and training room gets better.

Last edited:
The guys I would be interest in are Mosha Schwartz, but we have Alvarez and both will be in there last year. Gerrit Nijenhuis, who we could use at 165. Picklo, but there is a log jam at 174 and Buchanan at 197 who we could use and RS Surber and Plott and plug the later two in. Just all hypothetical though.

The guys I would be interest in are Mosha Schwartz, but we have Alvarez and both will be in there last year. Gerrit Nijenhuis, who we could use at 165. Picklo, but there is a log jam at 174 and Buchanan at 197 who we could use and RS Surber and Plott and plug the later two in. Just all hypothetical though.
If going after portal talent need to do better than that, Truax & Griffith level.

If going after portal talent need to do better than that, Truax & Griffith level.
Buchanan is definitely at that level, but I don't know if he can transfer again. Aren't you only allowed to transfer once unless you're a grad transfer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT