ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Team Trials

kid is incredible no doubt

appreciate your perspective to this board
hate it for DT 6 weights is murder
I hate it too but Brooks earned it. I guess the DT-wrestler era is nearing its close. He has a lot going on in his life with 3 girls and several businesses and a farm. He's 33 and as we know, this was probably his last rodeo. I think it's less about age than it is distraction.

Reactions: Rdcldad
I hate it too but Brooks earned it. I guess the DT-wrestler era is nearing its close. He has a lot going on in his life with 3 girls and several businesses and a farm. He's 33 and as we know, this was probably his last rodeo. I think it's less about age than it is distraction.
Well we have an assistant coach opening. Lots of room to farm and raise kids around Stillwater! 😆

Reactions: bwel9339
Howdy folks. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Thought I'd weigh in real quick on my OTT thoughts.

Daton: Was so impressed by his match with Suriano and so Disappointed in the Gilman match. He seemed miles from getting to a leg even though he was in there trying to mix it up. He kept digging an under hook with his left arm and then trying to do the same with the right the whole match and Gilman wasn't having it. Idk if it was some particular strategy that was devised but it wasn't working..... at all.

Christian: great match against big Cass! Nobody was picking him and that's 2 former Iowa studs he now has wins over. Cox match was weird. Cox should've went on the clock in the first and was bs imo. I thought CC was pretty quick but Nate Jackson was on a whole other level unfortunately lol. I'm anxious to see him once he gets down to 197, should be a lot of fun to watch next year.

Dee: Holy crap! He reminds me of a Jordan Williams with a lot more confidence, aggression and swagger! Beats Meyer handily and doesn't back down from Messenbrink one bit! Then he had Berger and in my mind I was thinking if he gets 1 TD on him I'll be happy and then he goes out there and gets 2 and battled til the end. For those that don't know, Berger was in final X last year at 70kg and is a really good Sr level FS wrestler.

Really hope Daton can somehow make a world team this fall. Impressed and looking forward to watching Carroll and Dee in orange for 4 years!

Howdy folks. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Thought I'd weigh in real quick on my OTT thoughts.

Daton: Was so impressed by his match with Suriano and so Disappointed in the Gilman match. He seemed miles from getting to a leg even though he was in there trying to mix it up. He kept digging an under hook with his left arm and then trying to do the same with the right the whole match and Gilman wasn't having it. Idk if it was some particular strategy that was devised but it wasn't working..... at all.

Christian: great match against big Cass! Nobody was picking him and that's 2 former Iowa studs he now has wins over. Cox match was weird. Cox should've went on the clock in the first and was bs imo. I thought CC was pretty quick but Nate Jackson was on a whole other level unfortunately lol. I'm anxious to see him once he gets down to 197, should be a lot of fun to watch next year.

Dee: Holy crap! He reminds me of a Jordan Williams with a lot more confidence, aggression and swagger! Beats Meyer handily and doesn't back down from Messenbrink one bit! Then he had Berger and in my mind I was thinking if he gets 1 TD on him I'll be happy and then he goes out there and gets 2 and battled til the end. For those that don't know, Berger was in final X last year at 70kg and is a really good Sr level FS wrestler.

Really hope Daton can somehow make a world team this fall. Impressed and looking forward to watching Carroll and Dee in orange for 4 years!

daton needs fresh perspective

he has nothing to lose and
needs to wrestle like it

Daton is by far the best wrestler OSU has had in the room around his weight for most if not all of his time in the program. He hasn't had any high caliber AA talent around him and no accomplished senior FS guys to push him everyday. Only people I can think of are Dean Heil and Kaid Brock early on. I think this is something that has hampered his success. But if you lose Daton then you lose that experience for our younger guys coming in.

That is the difference between PSU/Nitty Lion WC vs. everyone else. They are surrounded by high quality wrestlers pushing each other everyday. With all the experienced senior level guys, they not only help lead by example but serve as mentors for their young guys. OSU has got to make a big jump with their RTC with brining in some experienced level guys and that starts with Fix. Iron sharpens Iron.

Daton is by far the best wrestler OSU has had in the room around his weight for most if not all of his time in the program. He hasn't had any high caliber AA talent around him and no accomplished senior FS guys to push him everyday. Only people I can think of are Dean Heil and Kaid Brock early on. I think this is something that has hampered his success. But if you lose Daton then you lose that experience for our younger guys coming in.

That is the difference between PSU/Nitty Lion WC vs. everyone else. They are surrounded by high quality wrestlers pushing each other everyday. With all the experienced senior level guys, they not only help lead by example but serve as mentors for their young guys. OSU has got to make a big jump with their RTC with brining in some experienced level guys and that starts with Fix. Iron sharpens Iron.
Why did John not develop a better RTC? Didn't think he needed it to make the Cowboys stronger? Costs too much money? Didn't have the energy to build it? Thought there was some illegality there?

Just curious on the why. It seems like an obvious evolution in the sport in retrospect.

Why did John not develop a better RTC? Didn't think he needed it to make the Cowboys stronger? Costs too much money? Didn't have the energy to build it? Thought there was some illegality there?

Just curious on the why. It seems like an obvious evolution in the sport in retrospect.
I think he was worried about the legality of it all. Also yes Penn State has a lot more money that OSU does.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

It was a grey area in the terms of NCAA compliance and that might be a kind way to put it

That was the biggest hurdle for John.

It was a grey area in the terms of NCAA compliance and that might be a kind way to put it

That was the biggest hurdle for John.
Thanks for the replies guys. At the time when the NLWC emerged and strongly aligned with the team, it might have been cutting edge and seemingly in the gray area, but it's been 15 years now. It's not gray any longer is it? So what is stopping OSU now? Just money?

• Love
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Thanks for the replies guys. At the time when the NLWC emerged and strongly aligned with the team, it might have been cutting edge and seemingly in the gray area, but it's been 15 years now. It's not gray any longer is it? So what is stopping OSU now? Just money?
We had a AD and a HC who worked hard to stay out of any gray area matters. OSU is the the "red-headed stepchild" for the NCAA and we didn't want to be on their radar. What PSU was doing 15 years ago was not gray area stuff, it was stepping over the rules but the NCAA stuck the heads deeper into the sand/ass and ignored it.
OSU is behind in this area but we now have an AD who will help wrestling take the steps necessary to close the huge gap between PSU and the rest of the wrestling world.

Cowboy RTC had the second largest contingent of wrestlers out of a single RTC at the Trials last week. The RTC is actively getting much better and there's nothing stopping OSU now. Including money.

OSU has slowly embraced it and has started funding and building the CWC. They have a few senior level guys they are supporting and of course some solid college and junior talent.

Coleman will help in those efforts but all schools/RTCs are balancing and weighing financial support to RTC or NIL as even at the blue bloods, money is somewhat limited.

Thanks for the replies. I honestly would love to see more balance on the RTC side of the sport, and happy to hear OSU is building the RTC to a higher level. The OTT showcased those efforts. Obviously I’m a PSU fan but I want the sport to be strong and grow, and I’m old enough to wish everyone great success in these pursuits.

Trying to look ahead for U23s. Technically cael and Lockett could both choose to wrestle there. As well as some other cowboys if they wanted to including Spratley, Jamison, Young, Williams, Travis, Fish, Thompson, Plott? (If born 2001?), Hamiti, Heeg and Robb (technically can, unsure if either has qualifying criteria for u20 WTT), Carroll, Doucet?, and Simpson. Would also like to see Cody Merrill at u20s (I believe he’s qualified) or u23s.

I think for U23s 74kg is Mesenbrinks if he wants it, but he would be the only top 3 finisher that is under 23.

Cael and Lockett have the Pan Am spot for U20s. Would assume you stay with U20 and sit in the finals for a world team spot rather than try your luck at U23 (especially Lockett since Mitch has 74kg).

Will be interesting if Carroll goes for U20 or U23. Would have Mirasola? In the U20 finals if he gets there (should I think) or does qualify for 97kg at U23 which is open since Brooks won the trials and was the only age eligible wrestler for U23s.

He would have had to be born in 2003 to not be eligible. Which means as someone in the class of 2023 he was over 19 when he graduated high school? I guess not crazy but not typical right?

Either way, I think he can win U23. Cam McDanel who he teched in the OTT last chance qualifier finals won 97kg at U20 nationals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT