ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Team Trials

Chasingthirty-five

2nd Team
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2023
April 19-20.

The matchups we get out of this event are just insane. Gonna be amazing to watch these guys battle.

Cowboys + potential/incoming:

57kg
Daton Fix
Jax Forrest

Vito is sitting in the semis since he was a 2023 medalist. I think if Fix can get there he does match up better in freestyle against him....but still.

74kg
Ladarion Lockett

Likely the low seed, so should be fun hopefully for him. Dake sitting in semis.

86kg
Alex Dieringer

Feels like Ringer has been right there for a while now. Hope he can make the finals. David Taylor 2023 world champ is in the Finals. Zahid Valencia is in the semis- medal at non-olympic weight. Interested to see how Keck looks against some of these guys after his NCAA dominance.

97kg
Christian Carroll

Probably the low seed as well. Would be very interested to see how he matches up against anyone past Cox and Snyder (sitting in Finals)

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat

57 kg​

*Vito Arujau is sitting in the semifinals as a 2023 World Medalist at a non-Olympic weight

1. Zane Richards
  2. Thomas Gilman
  3. Daton Fix
  4. Nick Suriano
  5. Spencer Lee
  6. Nico Megaludis
  7. Liam Cronin
  8. Daniel DeShazer
  9. Luke Lilledahl
  10. Jax Forrest
  11. Richard Figueroa
  12. Marcus Blaze

This is actually best case scenario if this seeding holds up. Fix faces Gilman in the semi's who seems to be on a downward trend after a magical run and Zane, Spencer and Suriano will all wipe each other out. I am hoping fix can avoid Spencer and Suriano before the semis

57 kg​

*Vito Arujau is sitting in the semifinals as a 2023 World Medalist at a non-Olympic weight

1. Zane Richards
  2. Thomas Gilman
  3. Daton Fix
  4. Nick Suriano
  5. Spencer Lee
  6. Nico Megaludis
  7. Liam Cronin
  8. Daniel DeShazer
  9. Luke Lilledahl
  10. Jax Forrest
  11. Richard Figueroa
  12. Marcus Blaze

This is actually best case scenario if this seeding holds up. Fix faces Gilman in the semi's who seems to be on a downward trend after a magical run and Zane, Spencer and Suriano will all wipe each other out. I am hoping fix can avoid Spencer and Suriano before the semis
An absolute gauntlet, it’s mind boggling tbrh. The top 5 and Vito, are all Olympic Medal Caliber IMO. Unless someone dominates and proves me wrong, feel like if you wrestle this bracket 10 times you have 4-5 different winners. Seeding will be big to Daton’s success IMO, you can say “if you’re the best, seeds don’t matter” BS, but we all know path through the bracket matters. Unfortunately for Daton, looking at the next Cycle it doesn’t get any better. Probably only lose Gilman out of this list? And Lilledahl and these other young studs will be in their prime. Seeing these brackets, just makes me wish so badly that we had more Olympic weights.

Also I do agree that Daton matches up better with Vito in Freestyle and def at 57kg, that’s a tough pull for Vito. He mentioned on his level up from 125 to 133, was the weight cut being so hard at 125.

Lockett going 74kg according to his dad on social media. He sat close to me at NCAAs and hes a good size kid. I dont see him at 157 at all. 65 - 74 at least.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Seeds are out.
Fix with the 3. Will likely get Suriano and if wins then Gilman before finals.

Lockett with the 13, will get Quincy Monday.

Carroll with the 9. Has Cassioppi. Honestly thought Cass was bigger than 97kg.

Ringer with the 4. Has Mark Hall then Brooks

• Wow
Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
Seeds are out.
Fix with the 3. Will likely get Suriano and if wins then Gilman before finals.

Lockett with the 13, will get Quincy Monday.

Carroll with the 9. Has Cassioppi. Honestly thought Cass was bigger than 97kg.

Ringer with the 4. Has Mark Hall then Brooks
Man freestyle qualifications confuse me. Why isn't Plott going, didn't he win U23 last summer? But Fix is going with a win a few years ago, Lockett is going even though he is in high school.

Man freestyle qualifications confuse me. Why isn't Plott going, didn't he win U23 last summer? But Fix is going with a win a few years ago, Lockett is going even though he is in high school.

I think all former senior level world team members qualify.

Age group gold medalists qualify now. They recently changed that to where it's just age group world champs. Used to be medalists, I'm pretty sure. Not 100% though. This is how Lockett qualified. Same with Messenbrink, Shapiro, and Marcus Blaze.

NCAA Champs from the most recent NCAA tournament qualify.

Bill Ferrell, US Open, and Last Chance Open have qualification criteria. Bill Ferrell and US Open are top 4 placers get a qualification spot. Last Chance Open you have to win to get in. Then there are some other ranking series events throughout the year where if you win at a UWW ranking series tournament, you get a qualification.

I'm sure there are other criteria and I'm sure I'm wrong in some spots, but this is how I understand it for now.

I think he could've been at Last Chance is what I meant in my previous post and I assume he chose not to. I truly think he could've made the finals and possibly won it. McFadden has gotta be 4 years out from graduation. However, 86kg is a freaking gauntlet at the trials so not sure how far it would've gone either way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Blaze took the lead on Suriano then went wayyyyy defensive and lost because of it. Shame. So we get Fix Suriano next round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT