ADVERTISEMENT

Olive, (Golden Retriever)

okstate28

All-American
Gold Member
My Tail Gate Dog, Huntin Buddy, Hog Dog and Friend Olive was diagnosed yesterday with cancer. It's bad and they've only gave her less than two months. They've said she would be a perfectly normal acting dog until about 12 hours before it kills her. I know Jeff and several on the board have been hunting with me and her or at my tailgates with her and witnessed her doing her tricks. Many friends enjoyed me asking her if she'd rather be an OU Sooner or a Dead Dog. She'd fall over and play dead when you asked her that. I just wanted to let ya'll know that she was the best and it's never easy losing a special dog.

Those things are tough. I lost a companion of over 14 years this year. Tough deal but I knew the day was coming.

How old was she?

I hate to hear about that. Gal, my Blue Heeler, is about 16. We've been through a lot and I know her time could be up any day.

I think it's important to find what really makes her happy and do it every single day. Could be throwing the ball around at the lake or just some good canned dog food. Dogs are the best. It's so easy to make them the happiest animal on the planet.

Thanks All... I've had many dogs but none like this one. She's Going Swimming this evening. Will do a little bass fishing and swimming with me tomorrow. We are going to Bracketville next week for a ride around the Ranch. Just keeping her happy and treating her special right now.

Again I say thanks. BTW... 11 years is pretty good for a Golden. Average is 9 but it still don't make it any easier.

Originally posted by Dally1up:
Those things are tough. I lost a companion of over 14 years this year. Tough deal but I knew the day was coming.

How old was she?

She will be 11 in November... She was born in Piedmont. I adopted her from a Sooner Fan who was headed to Iraq in 03. His wife didn't want to keep her while he was away. I'm trying to arrange for him to see her again. Allowing for the poor upbringing her first three years, She quickly adapted to being a Cowgirl.

Sure hate to read this buddy. Knowin' Olive though, she'll beat the doc's odds and give you a little extra time. Give her a good rub behind the ears on the Hum-Bob for me.

sorry to hear that. I lost my lab last year.

Yup, in another life, Olive coulda been an attack hog dog. She is a pretty salty blood trail tracker as well.

Already doubled-up the docs forecast. Hoping for another multiple of that for you, Olive and Madi. Look forward to seeing Olive at a tailgate soon!

Olive Update..

Had a scare last week... I took her to the vet and had the mindset that this was it. She had a large mass come up on her hip within a 4 day period. The vet drained what he could.. Did a biopsy and confirmed the tumor. I said... Well Doc, what's the verdict? He got real quite, Looked at the charts, asked how she was eating, reacting to the other dogs and bowel movements. He then said, she's amazing... Let's give her a little longer. He gave her antibiotics, B12 and we left for home. The lump has almost disappeared. She's one tough dog...

Continued best wishes with Olive, 28. I lost a Golden about 3 yrs ago, and she was 13. They can be top notch dogs for sure! Loving to the end, like Olive.
It was hard to let go, but I couldn't bear to see her suffer. Make some more fond memories while you can. Rub her behind the ears for me.

Originally posted by okstate28:
No, The wife can't get off of work so it's just me coming. I'm leaving tonight. We have a banquet Friday night, Coach Jim Stanley Players reunion. Coach has Cancer and we wanted to do this for him. I should be in town around midnite tonight.

Gimme a holler Friday morning. I'll be over at a buddy's doing the smoking for the tailgate. We can have a good visit over a C&C!

Originally posted by okstate28:
Still active and probably going to the deer lease with me in about a week...

Now that would be awesome

We're planning to go dogless, though finding a boarder for Bruno is still undetermined. Pretty sure there are no hotels in SA that will accept a 100lb german shepherd male though, so we better find one.

I can't think of a bigger belly laugh than your coonass welder (cannot remember his name for the life of me) had when Bruno went to attacking the nuts and pecker of that dark chocolate 10 I shot down there two years ago. That dude laughed his ass off. Damn dog came up for breath every few minutes with a face full of white hair and he'd start rollin' again.

Re: Olive, (Golden Retriever) UPDATE

Well, We are pushing a year since Olive was given her two month walking papers. We are about 2-1/2 trips a month to the vet now. She'll get a tumor, It'll get infected, off to the vet for a penicillan and B-12 shot and she's good for two weeks. Our Vet told us that there will come a time that this won't work anymore and we are probably getting close. He say's she's not to the point to put down yet and I agree. However the last treatment this past Monday has not had the good effect of the past. She's been a good dog and friend.

I sent up a prayer for Olive. I grew up with a Golden name Josie. She got tumors pretty bad and went lame in a hip at age 14. We had to have her put down. I still miss that girl.

Myself and Mari are saddened to say that our Golden "Olive" lost her battle with Cancer Early Saturday morning April 23rd, 2011 on my Dad's farm in Vinita. She was born October 31, 1999 in Piedmont. She lived a good life with her former master "Mark" her first 5 years. We were so blessed to Share her final 6-1/2 years. I myself have had many dogs but God broke the mold when he made Olive. She was Loyal to our family and the other pets we have. She will be so missed. I know she is laying at the feet of "Jesus".

Reposted from Facebook:

I still remember the first time I met Olive, which would have been right at 6 1/2 years ago. Also remember many good times with her around at deer camp and tailgates, as well as nearly losing her to rat poison that one year. She was as good a dog as anyone will ever find. My thoughts are with you and Mari, brother.

28, I was saddened when I logged on today and read this. I'm vey sorry for your loss. Take a little solice that Olive is in a better place where cancer cannot affect her any longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT