Oklahoma board approves proposed taxpayer-funded Catholic school

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

Oklahoma board approves proposed taxpayer-funded Catholic school​

By: Journal Record Staff//June 5, 2023

A controversial taxpayer-supported virtual charter school proposed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City received an important approval Monday from the Statewide Virtual Charter School Board.
If the school becomes reality, it likely will be the first taxpayer-funded religious school in the nation. Its proposal has captured national attention and threats of legal challenges from opponents who claim it would represent a clear violation of the doctrine of separation of church and state.

The archdiocese has said that its intention would be for St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School to promote the Catholic faith and to operate according to church doctrine. Its plans are for the online public charter school to open in 2024 and serve students in grades K-12 in all parts of the state.

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond issued a statement Monday denouncing the board’s endorsement of the school. He said the use of taxpayer dollars to fund such a school would be unconstitutional and agreed that legal challenges would be highly likely.
The board voted 3-2 to approve the application by the Catholic Archdiocese.

“The approval of any publicly funded religious school is contrary to Oklahoma law and not in the best interest of taxpayers,” Drummond said. “It’s extremely disappointing that board members violated their oath in order to fund religious schools with our tax dollars. In doing so, these members have exposed themselves and the state to potential legal action that could be costly.”

The board initially rejected the proposed school in April, but proponents resubmitted an application after revisions were made to address weaknesses.

Organizers looked to the state Legislature for help. A bill they reportedly had a hand in writing, Senate Bill 404, addressed state funding and “religious discrimination.” The measure, passed and eventually signed into law by Gov. Kevin Stitt, would insert into state statute the sentence: “It shall be deemed a substantial burden to exclude any person or entity from participation in or receipt of governmental funds, benefits, programs, or exemptions based solely on the religious character or affiliation of the person or entity.”

According to reporting by The New York Times, the state board’s approval coincides with a broader conservative push to allow taxpayer dollars to go to religious schools, including in the form of universal school vouchers, which have been approved in five states in the last year. The movement has been bolstered by recent rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, which has increasingly signaled its support for directing taxpayer money to religious schools.

In an earlier statement, Drummond pointed out that the state board, if it approved the St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School, would be compelled to approve applications for schools proposed by organizations representing different – and potentially quite diverse – faiths.

“I doubt most Oklahomans would want their tax dollars to fund a religious school whose tenets are diametrically opposed to their own faith,” he said. “Unfortunately, the approval of a charter school by one faith will compel the approval of charter schools by all faiths, even those most Oklahomans would consider reprehensible and unworthy of public funding.”

Oklahoma board approves proposed taxpayer-funded Catholic school​

By: Journal Record Staff//June 5, 2023

A controversial taxpayer-supported virtual charter school proposed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City received an important approval Monday from the Statewide Virtual Charter School Board.
If the school becomes reality, it likely will be the first taxpayer-funded religious school in the nation. Its proposal has captured national attention and threats of legal challenges from opponents who claim it would represent a clear violation of the doctrine of separation of church and state.

The archdiocese has said that its intention would be for St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School to promote the Catholic faith and to operate according to church doctrine. Its plans are for the online public charter school to open in 2024 and serve students in grades K-12 in all parts of the state.

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond issued a statement Monday denouncing the board’s endorsement of the school. He said the use of taxpayer dollars to fund such a school would be unconstitutional and agreed that legal challenges would be highly likely.
The board voted 3-2 to approve the application by the Catholic Archdiocese.

“The approval of any publicly funded religious school is contrary to Oklahoma law and not in the best interest of taxpayers,” Drummond said. “It’s extremely disappointing that board members violated their oath in order to fund religious schools with our tax dollars. In doing so, these members have exposed themselves and the state to potential legal action that could be costly.”

The board initially rejected the proposed school in April, but proponents resubmitted an application after revisions were made to address weaknesses.

Organizers looked to the state Legislature for help. A bill they reportedly had a hand in writing, Senate Bill 404, addressed state funding and “religious discrimination.” The measure, passed and eventually signed into law by Gov. Kevin Stitt, would insert into state statute the sentence: “It shall be deemed a substantial burden to exclude any person or entity from participation in or receipt of governmental funds, benefits, programs, or exemptions based solely on the religious character or affiliation of the person or entity.”

According to reporting by The New York Times, the state board’s approval coincides with a broader conservative push to allow taxpayer dollars to go to religious schools, including in the form of universal school vouchers, which have been approved in five states in the last year. The movement has been bolstered by recent rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, which has increasingly signaled its support for directing taxpayer money to religious schools.

In an earlier statement, Drummond pointed out that the state board, if it approved the St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School, would be compelled to approve applications for schools proposed by organizations representing different – and potentially quite diverse – faiths.

“I doubt most Oklahomans would want their tax dollars to fund a religious school whose tenets are diametrically opposed to their own faith,” he said. “Unfortunately, the approval of a charter school by one faith will compel the approval of charter schools by all faiths, even those most Oklahomans would consider reprehensible and unworthy of public funding.”
Interesting, as that is a similar argument being put forward by parents that oppose the LGBTQ agenda being pushed in public schools. Does this argument only apply to religious teachings in the minds of the alphabet people?

I don't really see anything wrong with religious schools receiving tax payer dollars for education. Parents that choose religious schools are tax payers and should be able to use their tax dollars to educate their children in the school of their choice IMO.

I don't really see anything wrong with religious schools receiving tax payer dollars for education. Parents that choose religious schools are tax payers and should be able to use their tax dollars to educate their children in the school of their choice IMO.
A self-proclaimed cOnStiTutiONaLisT should know how easily this fails the Establishment Clause…

should

carry on

A self-proclaimed cOnStiTutiONaLisT should know how easily this fails the Establishment Clause…

should

carry on
You are not paying attention. Dims in congress been passing illegal laws for awhile now and letting SCOTUS shoot them down, same as Joe's executive orders. And sometimes, an activist Judge turns a blind eye.

Don't you hate it when the opposition party plays by your rules?

carry on

Reactions: AC2020
You are not paying attention. Dims in congress been passing illegal laws for awhile now and letting SCOTUS shoot them down, same as Joe's executive orders. And sometimes, an activist Judge turns a blind eye.

Don't you hate it when the opposition party plays by your rules?

carry on

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond released the following statement:

“The approval of any publicly funded religious school is contrary to Oklahoma law and not in the best interest of taxpayers,” Drummond said. “It’s extremely disappointing that board members violated their oath in order to fund religious schools with our tax dollars. In doing so, these members have exposed themselves and the State to potential legal action that could be costly.”

carry on

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond released the following statement:

carry on
I saw that. Hey idiot, I don’t think it is legal. I just posted the article with no comment and commented on Dim hypocrisy based on your response.

This is the same things Dims do. All of our politicians are crooked.

You just seem to think your side is perfect.

I saw that. Hey idiot, I don’t think it is legal. I just posted the article with no comment and commented on Dim hypocrisy based on your response.

Dimms philosoophy. They ain't foolin no one. 😉

Reactions: OKSTATE1

When has an Oklahoma Democrat written a law that was passed and then deemed unconstitutional?

I’m all ears, idiot…

carry on

Ever heard of Congress?

What does Congress have to do with this beyond your philosophical rambling on, huh??? This is an Oklahoma Republican gaffe. Has nothing to do with Democrats, in Oklahoma or anywhere else.

You and others’ incessant need to resort to hiding behind the Democrat narrative is…telling…

carry on

What does Congress have to do with this beyond your philosophical rambling on, huh??? This is an Oklahoma Republican gaffe. Has nothing to do with Democrats, in Oklahoma or anywhere else.

You and others’ incessant need to resort to hiding behind the Democrat narrative is…telling…

carry on
Shit britches needs a combing. Now git along.

carry on
Oh, I SEE. Oklahoma Democrats have NEVER done anything unconstitutional in Oklahoma, NEVER. Federal overrules state law. OK DEMS PERFECT. My side perfect.

I am not hiding behind anything. I think it is illegal.

But who is to say the courts don't rule in Oklahoma's favor? SCOTUS is conservative right now. Sorry, but that is what Dims do. Run a trial balloon and see if it sticks.

Let's see if it gets ruled unconstitutional, I would think it would, but in this day and age you never know.

Nothing is impossible in these culture wars. Up is down one day, and down is up the next. NO ONE plays by the rules anymore. NO ONE.

Oh, I SEE. Oklahoma Democrats have NEVER done anything unconstitutional in Oklahoma, NEVER. Federal overrules state law. OK DEMS PERFECT. My side perfect.

I am not hiding behind anything. I think it is illegal.

But who is to say the courts don't rule in Oklahoma's favor? SCOTUS is conservative right now. Sorry, but that is what Dims do. Run a trial balloon and see if it sticks.

Let's see if it gets ruled unconstitutional, I would think it would, but in this day and age you never know.

Nothing is impossible in these culture wars. Up is down one day, and down is up the next. NO ONE plays by the rules anymore. NO ONE.
Joe has no choice but to weaponize the CIA/DOJ/FBI.

carry on
Wizard of oz was a wonderful movie. 👍

should

carry on
I would think a case could be made that the tax dollars that a person pays into the education system could be used to pay for a religious schools tuition for their children. Not the amount a public school receives per student but the tax dollars an individual pays. Might have to change the wording to something like a rebate but i would think that case could be made and it would be Constitutional. I don't know but it would be something I would like to see work it's way through the courts since Democrats have taken over the education system and refuse to listen to parents.

• Haha
Reactions: davidallen
L
I would think a case could be made that the tax dollars that a person pays into the education system could be used to pay for a religious schools tuition for their children. Not the amount a public school receives per student but the tax dollars an individual pays. Might have to change the wording to something like a rebate but i would think that case could be made and it would be Constitutional. I don't know but it would be something I would like to see work it's way through the courts since Democrats have taken over the education system and refuse to listen to parents.
Brother you make too much sense for most folk here. The chuckleheads will chime in shortly. For entertainment purposes. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT