ADVERTISEMENT

OK State v. UNI Saturday 2/3 3PM @ GIA

If I remember right Byers took 3rd at Nationals and so it was a good decision. I don't think whichever way we go with 184 it will end up like the Byers deal.

No but I think the guy with more potential at nationals also happens to be the guy getting beat in the wrestle offs. Similar to what happened late in the season with Rosholt and Byers.

No but I think the guy with more potential at nationals also happens to be the guy getting beat in the wrestle offs. Similar to what happened late in the season with Rosholt and Byers.
I’m not sure that’s always the case I’ve been on teams where guys could beat teammates head to head but could never outperform them in actual competition. I think the only time a wrestle off should be factored into a decision on who’s starting is if the 2 wrestlers are really that close against outside competition.

Reactions: osu2082
I don't think Marsden will have enough matches to qualify a spot.
As far as a wrestle off, I don't care who wins. Marsden needs to be given an opportunity.
You're correct on the # of matches. I didn't realize Marsden has only wrestled 3 at 84.

I'm with you. Head to head doesn't tell the whole story. Hopefully whoever goes can figure it out.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Not going to be an easy decision. Obviously the coaching staff knows all the particulars that we aren't privy to. Maybe would should have forfeited against UNI and sent them both to the Edinboro Open this weekend? There was a really competitive group at 184.

From strictly a wrestling perspective, I think Keegan has more upside. He's just much more athletic and flashes real explosiveness. Of course he needs to take a shot in order to win. Aside from his mysterious conditioning issue, I see some improvement from last year. He's better on bottom with that quad pod standup and he's got a nice ankle pick now. To me he's got the higher ceiling, the question is will he ever reach it.

I posted on here the other day, but if anyone missed it I'm the wrestling writer for Pistols Firing. Just an FYI, but I'm going to try and get our beat writer to directly ask Smith what his plan is at184 during his post match interview Friday. Just a warning, but some of the time the opportunities to ask aren't there. He said he'll do his best though. We'll post it on the blog if he gets an answer.

Reactions: osu2082
Marsden been hurt and getting down to weight the first time was tuff for him. He had no energy in the match. Hope coach gives him another chance.

As I recall, Rosholt was injured that year.

Marsden been hurt and getting down to weight the first time was tuff for him. He had no energy in the match. Hope coach gives him another chance.
I hope he gets more chances. People have been posting Moore has more upside. I do not see it shown in any match he has wrestled this year. I say let Marsden wrestle some matches and see how that turns out. He can not do worse than Moore in the last several matches and my opinion he will do better.

As I recall, Rosholt was injured that year.

I thought it was Byers who was the guy and then went out with injury and Blake filled in admirably to the point there was some discussion who to go with at 197 late in the year and the debate was heightened by word that Blake won one or two wrestle offs.

Coach went with Byers which was a tough call and he ended winning the Big 12 title and finishing 3rd at nationals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT