ADVERTISEMENT

NS: The country is running out of diesel

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
We should be doing what a lot of third world countries did many many years ago. That was requiring all commercial vehicles to be switched over to natural gas. In places like Thailand, they were able to cut down their foreign imports of oil by 50%. This change paved the way (due to the increase in demand) for more gas stations to add natural gas refilling stations too. The result of more natural gas refilling stations across the country attracted more of the average consumers to convert their vehicles.

The pushback back here in America (for the average consumer) was that it would take too long for most people to fill their vehicles (about 3-5 minutes) and there aren't enough refilling stations across the country. Therefore, most Americans have not wanted to convert their vehicles (even though it is a cheaper, cleaner, and more abundant option). Therefore, unless there was a federal requirement for commercial vehicles to be switched or rebates given to consumers for converting their vehicles this was never going to happen here in America.

In the last 5 years, as more and more people have started driving electric vehicles, people have become accustomed to waiting in long lines to get their electric cars refilled. Natural gas vehicles are much cleaner than gasoline vehicles and we have more natural gas in the state of Oklahoma than the Saudis have oil. This is the answer! All we need is sensible people in Washington to make this happen. The problem is now it might be a little too late.

Last edited:
the office no GIF

Here's another interesting option, but it is years away. Google a guy named Steve Oldham. He is the CEO of Carbon Engineering out of British Columbia. He came up with the concept of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and creating a clean burning fuel. Check out the video below for a better understanding.

How CO2 Could Be The Future Of Fuel | VICE on HBO

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxandAlli
I’ve had some propane/natural gas tractors and pickup trucks. There are at least a handful of other considerations to consider.

1. You essentially have a large bomb strapped under your ass. For a family of 5, this is concerning. Not a big deal on a tractor.

2. the filling process is significantly more detailed and meticulous. If you screw up, see #1. Also, some people struggle to operate a regular pump. Attaching a valve with bleed off, threads, and the potential for freeze burns from sudden pressure changes isn’t a recipe for success for consumers in my opinion.

3. At least in the pickups I had, you could have range or you could have a bed. Choose. The tanks are just a heck of a lot larger than a current set up. Again, in a commercial setting this is of smaller concern, but for a normal consumer, it’s an issue.

We should be doing what a lot of third world countries did many many years ago. That was requiring all commercial vehicles to be switched over to natural gas. In places like Thailand, they were able to cut down their foreign imports of oil by 50%. This change paved the way (due to the increase in demand) for more gas stations to add natural gas refilling stations too. The result of more natural gas refilling stations across the country attracted more of the average consumers to convert their vehicles.

The pushback back here in America (for the average consumer) was that it would take too long for most people to fill their vehicles (about 3-5 minutes) and there aren't enough refilling stations across the country. Therefore, most Americans have not wanted to convert their vehicles (even though it is a cheaper, cleaner, and more abundant option). Therefore, unless there was a federal requirement for commercial vehicles to be switched or rebates given to consumers for converting their vehicles this was never going to happen here in America.

In the last 5 years, as more and more people have started driving electric vehicles, people have become accustomed to waiting in long lines to get their electric cars refilled. Natural gas vehicles are much cleaner than gasoline vehicles and we have more natural gas in the state of Oklahoma than the Saudis have oil. This is the answer! All we need is sensible people in Washington to make this happen. The problem is now it might be a little too late.

Diesel fuel can be manufactured from hemp. It's surprising to me there aren't proposals about this these days. The U.S. did just that during World War II when all kinds of fuel had to be rationed.

Problem is no one thought far enough ahead 15-20 years ago to put a meaning transition plan in place to get where politicians are trying to go today. Lot of mouth moving politics without any realism. I believe it is too late to significantly use nat gas in transition other than to generate the necessary power (and that seems real iffy).

We have spent billions of dollars to put refueling stations and other necessary infrastructure in place. The changes have moved the hydrocarbon based fuel requirements down about one percent. How many trillions of dollars will be required to move us in a meaningful way? Not sure we understand how many zeros it will take and I am glad I won't be around to watch this situation fully reach implementation. Just regret what is lying ahead for my grandchilden.

East coast refiners trying to cover europes clean product shortage. We won’t run out of diesel but cracks/spot prices will be through the roof.
The refining shutins of 2020 combined with the Russia mess have further tightened supply.

East coast refiners trying to cover europes clean product shortage. We won’t run out of diesel but cracks/spot prices will be through the roof.
The refining shutins of 2020 combined with the Russia mess have further tightened supply.

I believe these refineries will never fully return to pre-Covid throughput.

Gulf coast refineries are being shuttered due to past hurricane damage, rising water levels, uncertainity of governmental support and escalation of electric fuels vehicle manufacture.

Refining rate of return capital projects are on indefinite deferral headed toward cancellation. Only capital projects going forward will be focused on reliability and safety. I know of one refining cap project for full conversion to bio based input that died on the vine just prior to full funding.

Last edited:
Reactions: slickr3
Problem is no one thought far enough ahead 15-20 years ago to put a meaning transition plan in place to get where politicians are trying to go today. Lot of mouth moving politics without any realism. I believe it is too late to significantly use nat gas in transition other than to generate the necessary power (and that seems real iffy).

We have spent billions of dollars to put refueling stations and other necessary infrastructure in place. The changes have moved the hydrocarbon based fuel requirements down about one percent. How many trillions of dollars will be required to move us in a meaningful way? Not sure we understand how many zeros it will take and I am glad I won't be around to watch this situation fully reach implementation. Just regret what is lying ahead for my grandchilden.
We aren’t transitioning from fossil fuels during anyone reading this post’s lifetime. It’s an absolute fantasy.

Unless we are going back to the pre-industrial age.

I believe this was the goal of the Pickens Plan. Convert all city buses and long haulers over to NG. Something we have plenty of and is easy to get. Hamm was the biggest opponent as it would but his profits for oil moved by train car.

We aren’t transitioning from fossil fuels during anyone reading this post’s lifetime. It’s an absolute fantasy.

I do not agree. Next 10-15 years you are probably correct. The problem is the current administration is putting things in place that will damage our hydrocarbon infrastructure in such a way it would take a prolonged period of excessive spending to return to necessary level. Either way, hydrocarbon based energy will be a high priced commodity going forward and the economic impact will be significant.

I do not agree. Next 10-15 years you are probably correct. The problem is the current administration is putting things in place that will damage our hydrocarbon infrastructure in such a way it would take a prolonged period of excessive spending to return to necessary level. Either way, hydrocarbon based energy will be a high priced commodity going forward and the economic impact will be significant.
There's been something like $4 trillion dollars in renewable energy investment in the last decade. And it reduced the percentage of energy consumption produced by fossil fuels by 1 percentage point.

Renewables have had a very hard time reaching any meaningful scalability at an ROI that attracts institutional investment. I used to believe in a much quicker energy transition until I started running some of my company’s equity investment in that space.

Refiners will cut back on Jet and chase the growing diesel crack. We aren’t going to run out of diesel, Europe won’t run out of gas this winter and there won’t be food shortages. Those are basically fear-mongering talking points on both sides of the media IMO

There's been something like $4 trillion dollars in renewable energy investment in the last decade. And it reduced the percentage of energy consumption produced by fossil fuels by 1 percentage point.
Not great at statistics or intentionally misleading? Hard to tell. Not hard to tell.

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."

Last edited:
Is the US adding more oil demand domestically that renewables aren't replacing? Seems like we should be hitting a wall to an extent and than see a slow decline in overall percentages.

I think Nat gas would be great in compact cars/small SUVs.

What is more efficient, diesel or Nat Gas? If there isn't a noticeable difference, I can understand why there's slower investment...Cheaper doesn't mean better in the eyes of stakeholders.

Diesel fuel can be manufactured from hemp. It's surprising to me there aren't proposals about this these days. The U.S. did just that during World War II when all kinds of fuel had to be rationed.
Innovation is stifled when the status quo is still in control and still profitable. Energy isn't tech where a startup can change the world quickly. The amount of infrastructure change needed to truly shift dependencies is huge and has to be adopted and installed on the large scale to make any difference. I wish something meaningful could happen.

Not great at statistics or intentionally misleading? Hard to tell. Not hard to tell.

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."
I may be reading the chart wrong but EIA stats show that in 2011, it made up roughly 10% of our total energy consumption. Today it is around 12% of our consumption. It also isn’t replacing oil or gas. It is helping replace coal.

Renewable energy has the ability to provide about 20% of the US capacity, max.

Fossil fuels aren’t going anywhere in our lifetime. It’s a myth.

And food shortages? Depends on how that’s defined. You might have a hard time sourcing produce this winter as areas like the Imperial Valley are all but dry.

If we are talking east Africa or parts of the ME, famine events.

Reactions: OSUMBA and dvpoke25

I’m 100% on board with going back to the pre-industrial age if the planet is really toast, that’s putting your money where your mouth is, none of this electric car bs, - I’m waiting for joe, Barack, Al gore, Greta, @Syskatine, @my_2cents etc to lead the way and save the planet

All what happens when you let anti American (anti people for that matter) overthrow your leader and install themselves behind a Pedo bought off POS puppet- then the sheep let them stay in power KNOWING they are destroying them, society, Economy -
And with the shots- people and their kids.

We as a whole we get what we deserve.
As an individual Corn damn sure doesn't deserve it as he has been far ahead of all of this BS from the get go. But sadly Corn has to depend on the sheep waking up and MY GOD how much does it take to wake up the American people these days?! Holy brainwashing by the TV Batman

I’m 100% on board with going back to the pre-industrial age if the planet is really toast, that’s putting your money where your mouth is, none of this electric car bs, - I’m waiting for joe, Barack, Al gore, Greta, @Syskatine, @my_2cents etc to lead the way and save the planet
I'm good without all of this technology BS where we are chasing our tail trying to make ends meet wirh the mafia cartel
Stealing 40-50'percent of our money. All we do is go go go both parents working their lives away- simpler times were way better.

and depopulation is good let's start with all of these crooked POS that are killing us and abusing people so most all of the politicians, 3 letter agencies big Harma m, globalists - try them and if guilty hang them and lets get back to life without all of this BS Normies putting Ukraine flags on their social media, Susie out on a date taking pictures of her food and virtue signaling on FB, lol what a sad bunch of people we have produced

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT