ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

I want golds and championships. D!ck measuring in recruiting doesn’t matter to me at this point. I want Plott to get one BADDD!!! He’s just not doing that with Keck out there. I love Wyatt. He’s been my favorite non OSU wrestler over the last couple years. I want him to get a gold. I want to run the block where in matters. On the mat at NCAAs. That’s not happening this year and neither are golds. Both can’t legit happen next year. And the chances aren’t as good with new recruits and transfers next year
It was hard in 2009-10 to see PSU RS everyone, but the results spoke for themselves the next year. I don't know what DT will do, but again, I ask you to trust DT and the process. He is intimately familiar with this game plan, having seen it up close.

For reference, Jordan Williams beat Carter Young 15-2.

Additionally, although Young looked like a 133 when he showed up, that ship seems to have said. He’s walking around in the low 160s.
Good reference yet I think it’s more of a mental block for Carter when it comes to Williams. Williams beat him in high school and college (I think it’s like a big brother syndrome). Williams knows he has an edge and wrestles diffrent. Wish he can do that for all opponents. I saw Jordan Oliver step on the scale during the summer 167 lbs and cut to 133 during the season. 141 is a possibility. I understand some can handle cuts better than others but who knows. I am not sold on williams like most. He displays bad mannerisms on the mat against top opponents. If it’s equal or lower talent he performs better

Good reference yet I think it’s more of a mental block for Carter when it comes to Williams. Williams beat him in high school and college (I think it’s like a big brother syndrome). Williams knows he has an edge and wrestles diffrent. Wish he can do that for all opponents. I saw Jordan Oliver step on the scale during the summer 167 lbs and cut to 133 during the season. 141 is a possibility. I understand some can handle cuts better than others but who knows. I am not sold on williams like most. He displays bad mannerisms on the mat against top opponents. If it’s equal or lower talent he performs better
Young is ripe for many spots in the lineup right now, weight wise.

Last edited:
This team is way more talented than Penn State was when Cael over Penn State. Especially with these past couple of adds.

Reactions: OAMC99
This team is way more talented than Penn State was when Cael over Penn State. Especially with these past couple of adds.
The problem is that we have a much larger dragon to slay. Cael didn’t have a Cael to run down. It’s going to take a lot more going right for us. We have to be a point machine. Once again, that’s why guys like Wyatt are much more valuable than a one take down match type of guy like Amine. We need points

Yes and Gfeller made a big cut in his last year. When you see Carter next, it will be apparent.
In any case, we certainly aren’t talking about anyone on JO’s level here.
The concerns around JW are warranted. The frustrating part is the upside is super high.
Would be great to see him reach his potential. He had some highs this past season.
The trouble with your last statement is, what does that say about Carter?

Last edited:
Reactions: lincolnhs
The problem is that we have a much larger dragon to slay. Cael didn’t have a Cael to run down. It’s going to take a lot more going right for us. We have to be a point machine. Once again, that’s why guys like Wyatt are much more valuable than a one take down match type of guy like Amine. We need points
But Coleman and John left a much better sword to dragon slay.

If Amine can make the finals, that’s big enough points to make up for no bonus.

Advancement on the front is the same as a tech on the backside.

Yes and Gfeller made a big cut in his last year. When you see Carter next, it will be apparent.
In any case, we certainly aren’t talking about anyone on JO’s level here.
The concerns around JW are warranted. The frustrating part is the upside is super high.
Would be great to see him reach his potential. He had some highs this past season.
The trouble with your last statement is, what does that say about Carter?
Not saying that Carter is the answer but I do like him better @41 than jordan at 49. Both have made none headed mistakes I just saw a little more timidity from JW.

1. I actually don’t know if that’s true. Our resident Penn Staters can correct me but I think Cael inherited 2-3 guys who would go on to win national titles. I know Ruth was already there.

2. If it is true it’s even more the reason to redshirt guys this year. This is the most talented team at OSU in a long time and they literally have zero shot to win. Everyone could wrestle to the best of their abilities and they still probably lose by 50 points (and that is probably optimistic).

If you redshirt everyone you have a real shot in 26. If you don’t you don’t have a shot in 25 or 26.

1. I actually don’t know if that’s true. Our resident Penn Staters can correct me but I think Cael inherited 2-3 guys who would go on to win national titles. I know Ruth was already there.

2. If it is true it’s even more the reason to redshirt guys this year. This is the most talented team at OSU in a long time and they literally have zero shot to win. Everyone could wrestle to the best of their abilities and they still probably lose by 50 points (and that is probably optimistic).

If you redshirt everyone you have a real shot in 26. If you don’t you don’t have a shot in 25 or 26.
Still a shot in 26 without punting this year…but it’s a lot tougher.

PSU loses 60 points in April of 25 and they’ll replace that with 30 points at the bare minimum.

Cael didn’t inherit Champs, he made them! So will this Staff.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Still a shot in 26 without punting this year…but it’s a lot tougher.

PSU loses 60 points in April of 25 and they’ll replace that with 30 points at the bare minimum.

Cael didn’t inherit Champs, he made them! So will this Staff.
If you don’t redshirt guys I think you’ll need multiple national championship level guys to transfer in to have a shot in 26. We will be super young in 26 and as talented as we they’ll be that’s a lot to ask for a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

If you don’t redshirt guys I think you’ll need multiple national championship level guys to transfer in to have a shot in 26. We will be super young in 26 and as talented as we they’ll be that’s a lot to ask for a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.
This is the last portal that doesn’t mainly deal with guys that can’t hack it in their current spot or weren’t tampered with.

There are no more Covid deals after this one. From here on, it’s mainly recruiting and development.

The portal from here on (for a bit) will be much thinner.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Not saying that Carter is the answer but I do like him better @41 than jordan at 49. Both have made none headed mistakes I just saw a little more timidity from JW.
No way Carter is going back to 141. 149-157 is what it looks like and unfortunately for him but good for our depth not sure he gets a start.

This is the last portal that doesn’t mainly deal with guys that can’t hack it in their current spot or weren’t tampered with.

There are no more Covid deals after this one. From here on, it’s mainly recruiting and development.

The portal from here on (for a bit) will be much thinner.
I agree and that’s kind of my point. It’s going to be hard to truly contend in 26 without redshirting a bunch of guys.

I would rather shoot our big guns in 26 when we have a chance than 25 when we have none.

It’s true. OSU has a roster that can finish 2nd next season.

The Penn State Nittany Lions wrestling team placed 17th overall at the 2009 NCAA Wrestling Championships with 31.0 points. The team also had two All-Americans, Quentin Wright and Frank Molinaro, who placed 162nd and 163rd. The 2009 tournament had a record attendance of over 97,000, and Iowa won the team race with 97.5 points.

Penn State's wrestling team had a poor record of 8-12-2 in the 2009 dual season, and the university decided to part ways with head coach Troy Sunderland after the tournament.

Last edited:
We’ll see if mass redshirting is en vogue. So much has changed since 2010. NIL, RTCs, Pandemic. Some of these guys have already been around 5-6 years. It seems like a longshot that they’d envisioned being in college for 6-7 years.

Maybe there’s a master plan that involves loading up. I don’t see them conceding anything next year (which is what mass redshirting would be).

There seems to be somewhat of an under appreciation of the level of talent that is now going to flow to Stillwater. This isn’t going to be conventional in any sense. There is going to be more guys that want to come than there will be spots.

OSU has the ability to finish well about 9th, which Cael did in his first year:

His first season at Penn State was solid. Sanderson led Penn State to a 13-6-1 dual meet record, much improved over the prior year’s 8-12-2 mark. After a year outside the top 10, Sanderson led the Lions back to their place among the nation’s elite with a ninth-place finish at the NCAA?Championships and a No. 10 final dual meet ranking from the NWCA Coaches. Sanderson picked up three more All-Americans (including a national finalist) and a Big Ten Champion in younger brother, Cyler Sanderson.

No way Carter is going back to 141. 149-157 is what it looks like and unfortunately for him but good for our depth not sure he gets a start.
I dont really care where he goes. My opinion doesn’t really matter on a message board. I’m just calling it from behind a screen. I had the opportunity to see Jordan Oliver weigh in on the scale in GIA weight room his sophomore year and he was 167 and that year he went 133. Some one said Carter young was mid 160s so my thought is 141 could be possible based off of what I saw with JO and 133 (granted the following year he went 149 for Olympic aspirations) I am just assuming it could be done.

• Haha

Cael inherited Ruth and Wright and Molinaro.

Cael redshirted nearly everyone that he could as I recall. The stars on the 2010 team were Vallimont and Molinaro. Everyone else within reason redshirted. Despite that, PSU went from 17th and 31 points in 2009 to 9th with 49 points in Cael's first year. The next year five guys scored 18 or more points, and only Molinaro was among them. So he loaded up year 2 with DT, Ruth, Quentin Wright, and brought in Andrew Long. The culture in 2009 sounds similar to that being described here at OSU. That Bryan Pearsall video I posted was a great look from the inside. Sink or swim and 17 guys sank that first year. The next year Cael made magic. Wasn't always smooth in the early years.

Last edited:
Cael redshirted nearly everyone that he could as I recall. The stars on the 2010 team were Vallimont and Molinaro. Everyone else within reason redshirted. Despite that, PSU went from 17th and 31 points in 2009 to 9th with 49 points in Cael's first year. The next year five guys scored 18 or more points, and only Molinaro was among them. So he loaded up year 2 with DT, Ruth, Quentin Wright, and brought in Andrew Long. The culture in 2009 sounds similar to that being described here at OSU. That Bryan Pearsall video I posted was a great look from the inside. Sink or swim and 17 guys sank that first year. The next year Cael made magic. Wasn't always smooth in the early years.
I wanted to add an important difference between PSU in 2011 and OSU in 2026. PSU did it with a youthful team which allowed them to go on a title run that lasted four years. In 2026, you will be making your title run with upperclassmen. You will need strong recruiting or otherwise I'd expect a dip.

Everyone talks about redshirting everyone as if PSU guys are not going to step up. You see most of the highly recruited guys top 10 pfp, and they typically overachieve!! OSU has a great team but to think that 26 they are going to challenge PSU is misguided. With the current OSU lineup, you should easily take second and then David has a greater ability to recruit more high end recruits. I would think by 2028, you all, with the right recruits will truly challenge PSU. You need those consistent top recruits, which you are already getting to over come the PSU train. You definitive the coaching staff to do it!!! Hoping for a great competitive season and believe you guys are going to crush all else!!!

We’ll see if mass redshirting is en vogue. So much has changed since 2010. NIL, RTCs, Pandemic. Some of these guys have already been around 5-6 years. It seems like a longshot that they’d envisioned being in college for 6-7 years.

Maybe there’s a master plan that involves loading up. I don’t see them conceding anything next year (which is what mass redshirting would be).

There seems to be somewhat of an under appreciation of the level of talent that is now going to flow to Stillwater. This isn’t going to be conventional in any sense. There is going to be more guys that want to come than there will be spots.
I don’t think anyone is under appreciating the talent DT could bring in. Still, even if he is a GOAT recruiter in 26 you are going to be young. You can’t really count on true freshman and sophomores to lead you to a team title.

I think your point about guys wanting to do it is a good one. These guys have been in college a long time. But if they want to do it I don’t see how you waste this opportunity. Go all out for a championship, not second place. If you want OSU back to winning championships this is the quickest way to get there.

Can you imagine Plott with a year training with DT and Keick out to the way? He is going to be a Hodge contender.

Everyone talks about redshirting everyone as if PSU guys are not going to step up. You see most of the highly recruited guys top 10 pfp, and they typically overachieve!! OSU has a great team but to think that 26 they are going to challenge PSU is misguided. With the current OSU lineup, you should easily take second and then David has a greater ability to recruit more high end recruits. I would think by 2028, you all, with the right recruits will truly challenge PSU. You need those consistent top recruits, which you are already getting to over come the PSU train. You definitive the coaching staff to do it!!! Hoping for a great competitive season and believe you guys are going to crush all else!!!
Of course Penn State is still going to be good. But OSU can absolutely throw out a lineup in 26 that can challenge PSU if they redshirt everyone. The lineup will have top P4P guys up and down it. Not saying it is a given they win it but they have a much better chance in 26 than 25. Next year they literally have zero chance.

DT should redshirt them all (except BT, for a couple reasons)

The opportunity to finish 2nd, but in a much closer race with 3 finalists and 2 champs is a much bigger recruiting draw than finishing 2nd this year but still losing by 100 points.

Hamiti ain't beating KOT and Plott ain't beating Keck. So with those guys gone - i think they both win.

2026 Okst - PSU lineup

125: Spratley - Lilledahl

This could be the national final

133: Hughes/McComas/Sakamoto - Davis/Nagao

I think this ends up being Sakamoto and Hughes moves up.

141: Hughes/Young/Jamison - Davis/Nagao

I think it will end up being hughes. This could be a non AA finish for PSU

149: Williams/Jamison - Van Ness

Van Ness will outscore whoever you guys put out here

157: Travis/Williams/Fish - Kasak/Duke

Definitely getting outscored here by PSU

165: Lockett - MM

This could be a national final. Lockett is that damn good

174: Hamiti - Haines/Facundo/Ryder

National final preview. I think Haines ends up here.

184: Plott - Barr

Plott wins a natty title

197: Carroll - Mirasola

National final Preview?

285: Hendrickson - Mirasola

Wyatt wins it and likely outplaces Mirasola by a good bit.

You're getting outplaced by only 3 weight classes (149/157 and wherever hughes isn't at 133 or 141) but outplacing them for sure at 2 (184, 285)

While there are 5 legitimate toss ups as to whether you can outplace them.

133/141

Of course Penn State is still going to be good. But OSU can absolutely throw out a lineup in 26 that can challenge PSU if they redshirt everyone. The lineup will have top P4P guys up and down it. Not saying it is a given they win it but they have a much better chance in 26 than 25. Next year they literally have zero chance.

Ding, Ding, Ding. You need champs to have a chance at beating PSU. Plott and Hendrickson likely don't do that this year, and become the favorites in 26. And Hamiti is not beating KOT

Reactions: bwel9339
Penn State is winning & competing with younger and younger guys each year. They are plugging gaps with portal guys that don’t skip a beat and were the Keystone (See what I did there 😊) of the Team they came from.

The other cool thing about them; they have guys that seem to be beat out or recruited over that fight there way back into the picture. It’s the perfect virtuous cycle.

They’ve been busting a lot of conventional myths.

There is no reason to believe this can’t happen at Oklahoma State. OSU has lacked the commitment & resources needed to reinvigorate the sleeping giant that they now have in a focused fashion that seems to exceed anyone’s expectations. The sky is the limit.

I agree but for you to have a sustainable yearly competitive edge, it will take David creating the culture and developinging top tier HS recruits. 24 and 25 recruits are done, minus Blaze. 26, 27 you guys should have huge hauls hence 28 projection!

Personally I don’t see Amine, Hamite, or Hendrickson wanting to redshirt. All three are probably looking forward to getting over the hump this year. They care more about their personal growth than what’s best for the team. Aren’t home grown guys.

Personally I don’t see Amine, Hamite, or Hendrickson wanting to redshirt. All three are probably looking forward to getting over the hump this year. They care more about their personal growth than what’s best for the team. Aren’t home grown guys.
Agreed. Would add Plott in there as well.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
You’d be wrong.

They very much care about the team AND their “personal growth.”

a redshirt gives them the chance to do exactly that

I don't think Amine has a RS?

Being a NC is pretty important to personal growth as well as being a part of history that plays the role of David (fitting) slaying the giant to win a Team Title.

No doubt, more a reflection of the opinions on this board about redshirting 4 guys lol, I have no doubt David has " a plan" 😉

Well, when you bring in 3 guys at a similar weight, the speculation will ensue. But yes, I am excited to see what happens.

You’d be wrong.

Hey if they think it’s best for them that’s another matter. Transfers aren’t just leaving their former teams very often to redshirt for another one. If David Taylor could convince them it’s for the best that would be quite the sell job.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
Hey if they think it’s best for them that’s another matter. Transfers aren’t just leaving their former teams very often to redshirt for another one. If David Taylor could convince them it’s for the best that would be quite the sell job.
Would it be a good sell job?

Who doesn't want to do something they love and get an extra year of NIL, education and networking for their future? It is a no brainer for me.

PROS
-Extra year of high level training and Wrestling
-Extra year of NIL money
-The odds on favorite champ leaves at your weight
-An extra year to win friends and influence people.
-Win an Individual NC
-At the least, give the giant PSU a run for their money in the most exciting NCAA Tourney of the decade...HUGE exposure

CONS
-Possibility of STDs because all the Women on campus will be throwing themselves at you because you are a STUD?

Yeah, I have no idea why they would RS?

You’d be wrong.

Feels like a bit of a mischaracterization.
Have no trouble believing these guys are all in on the Team aspect. In Plott’s case, we know it for certain.

It’s more of a situation where we are talking about guys who have had a life plan, were planning on spending 4 OR 5 years in college…then this pandemic happens and now guys are finding themselves in school for 6-7 years.

Boo Lewallen could have come back for another year and opted not to, which surprised me. He wanted to get on with life. Gfeller had to be talked into coming back.

Some of these guys have other plans and hanging around in college for going on a decade (I kid) might be getting in the way of that.

I don’t know, and am not claiming to know right now; we’ll see. This is unprecedented territory, and far from the conventional situation.

Feels like a bit of a mischaracterization.
Have no trouble believing these guys are all in on the Team aspect. In Plott’s case, we know it for certain.

It’s more of a situation where we are talking about guys who have had a life plan, were planning on spending 4 OR 5 years in college…then this pandemic happens and now guys are finding themselves in school for 6-7 years.

Boo Lewallen could have come back for another year and opted not to, which surprised me. He wanted to get on with life. Gfeller had to be talked into coming back.

Some of these guys have other plans and hanging around in college for going on a decade (I kid) might be getting in the way of that.

I don’t know, and am not claiming to know right now; we’ll see. This is unprecedented territory, and far from the conventional situation.
The difference is there is an actual opportunity to continue to wrestle AND make money.

DT’s plan for all of these guys is at least the next Olympic cycle. So what’s the difference in a year, when you plan to stay in the room for another 4 anyway?

And there are 2 very huge things here - the training and the money.

Training - their bodies are not going to be beat up. AT ALL. It’s still a grind - but it won’t be because practice is so hard that you want to quit the sport.

Money - these guys are going to be able to stay as RTC athletes and not live like a pauper, like John wanted everyone to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT