ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

As much as I don’t like Amine for OSU… if we go…
57-Fish
65-Amine
74-Hamiti
84-Plott
97-Carroll
285-Wyatt

It’ll damn sure be interesting

I just hope we keep the boys together. They were tight last year and doing Teague that way won’t go over well imo. Best man wins but it won’t be taken phenomenally.

57-Fish
65-Amine
74-Hamiti
84-Plott
97-Carroll
285-Wyatt

I just hope we keep the boys together. They were tight last year and doing Teague that way won’t go over well imo. Best man wins but it won’t be taken phenomenally.
I agree but it has to happen to get this thing back to where it should be.

57-Fish
65-Amine
74-Hamiti
84-Plott
97-Carroll
285-Wyatt

They aren’t going to play favorites and continue to recruit elite talent. People will earn their spot on the mat and better get used to having someone at their weight that can beat them on any given day.

CORRECTION - this phone call is suffering too 😊

165 POUNDS (10 allocated NCAA spots)

1st:
2-Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State) d. 1-Dean Hamiti (Wisconsin), 13-11

3rd: 3-Mike Caliendo (Iowa) d. 6-Cameron Amine (Michigan), 8-5 (SV)

5th: 5-Antrell Taylor (Nebraska) d. 11-Chris Moore (Illinois), 4-1

7th: 7-Stoney Buell (Purdue) md. 10-Blaine Brenner (Minnesota), 15-7

Also qualifying: Tyler Lillard (Indiana) and Maxx Mayfield (Northwestern)

They aren’t going to play favorites and continue to recruit elite talent. People will earn their spot on the mat and better get used to having someone at their weight that can beat them on any given day.
I think the same argument can be used against recruits though too. A lot of transfers.

Reactions: bwel9339
No doubt he will improve, but to go from 2-2 to top 2 in a season seems like too much to expect at this point. I'd like to re-visit after the holiday tournaments. A bunch of guys will be sticking around for the summer. It will be interesting what the team looks like on the mat come Nov/Dec.
Hamiti lost to Carr twice (2-0 and 5-0), Messenbrink (13-11), and Olejnik (9-6 in SV). So he lost to the #1, #2, and #5 place finishers. I don't know that he'll be top 2, but if he's getting better coaching, I don't know why he wouldn't be in the mix to make some noise this year. Feels like that sort of 2-2 is a little different than some of the other 2-2 tourneys we see.

57-Fish
65-Amine
74-Hamiti
84-Plott
97-Carroll
285-Wyatt

Can Fish make 157? Honestly tho Fish has redshirt i believe. so I feel like it would go

157: Teague
165: Amine
174: Hamiti
184: Plott
197: CC
HWT: Wyatt.

Edit: NVM I just saw the NCAA portal thread. I think I still prefer my lineup tho.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Can Fish make 157? Honestly tho Fish has redshirt i believe. so I feel like it would go

157: Teague
165: Amine
174: Hamiti
184: Plott
197: CC
HWT: Wyatt.

Edit: NVM I just saw the NCAA portal thread. I think I still prefer my lineup tho.
I had the same question. Fish hasn’t been under 160 since early high school. Willie acted like him going 157 was a no brainer.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I meant to post this earlier, but was rudely interrupted by a customer!

I definitely think Hamiti's problem is a weight management issue.

In both 2023 and 2024, Hamiti wrestled 165.

In 2023, he got 1st at B1Gs but then turned around and took 6th at nationals.

In 2024, he took 2nd at B1Gs (gassing in third), and went 2-2 at nationals.

He is regressing in tournaments over time at 165. That to me is textbook weight management. He is a car that needs 93 octane but they keep feeding him 87 octane fuel.

174 will do wonders for him. He is a great counter wrestler.

Last edited:
@Pennstate1985, to provide a little more grounding. Gary is Everything you see in the provided video. He is 100% devoted to student athlete success that he oversees. Those young men are his kids.
Sorry for asking this but who is Gary?

Nevermind. I went back and found him. Strength and conditioning coach. Glad to hear. I would imagine DT may go in a different direction with nutritionist. Just a hunch.

Hamiti lost to Carr twice (2-0 and 5-0), Messenbrink (13-11), and Olejnik (9-6 in SV). So he lost to the #1, #2, and #5 place finishers. I don't know that he'll be top 2, but if he's getting better coaching, I don't know why he wouldn't be in the mix to make some noise this year. Feels like that sort of 2-2 is a little different than some of the other 2-2 tourneys we see.
And he is a huge 65 pounder. He may be better suited for 84 than 74. I spoke with him at Tulsa and he seemed a little taller than me. I am 6' 195, but I could certify at 74...probably but it would be tough.

I meant to post this earlier, but was rudely interrupted by a customer!

I definitely think Hamiti's problem is a weight management issue.

In both 2023 and 2024, Hamiti wrestled 165.

In 2023, he got 1st at B1Gs but then turned around and took 6th at nationals.

In 2024, he took 2nd at B1Gs (gassing in third), and went 2-2 at nationals.

He is regressing in tournaments over time at 165. That to me is textbook weight management. He is a car that needs 93 octane but they keep feeding him 87 octane fuel.

174 will do wonders for him. He is a great counter wrestler.
Ive heard watching him and Plott go at it is something to behold lol.

After looking at him more closely, I agree. He had weight mngt issues, or simply outgrew 165 at least a year ago. 174 will serve him well.

how did hamiti finish in the big 10 tourney last year?
He seemed to be beating Mesenbrink easily and then made some mind boggling dumb moves and decisions end of 2nd/3rd. I'd think DT could quickly fix those issues, won't even require magic.

• Love
Reactions: JAY45
He seemed to be beating Mesenbrink easily and then made some mind boggling dumb moves and decisions end of 2nd/3rd. I'd think DT could quickly fix those issues, won't even require magic.
imo, he has great counter skills but the pace got to him in the last 30 seconds of the 2nd. The 3rd was downhill. That isn't to slight him. I think he had problems with 165.

imo, he has great counter skills but the pace got to him in the last 30 seconds of the 2nd. The 3rd was downhill. That isn't to slight him. I think he had problems with 165.
You’re pretty savvy!

I appreciate you being here!

I agree that Hamiti shouldn’t be deemed a finalist, but I think he’s going to push an envelope…the letter will be fun to read!

The biggest thing I am interested to see is how much more aggressive we are offensively, and how hard we chase bonus points vs how JS approached it.
Ole boy, don’t get it twisted! JS preached bonus, he preached it so hard that the devil himself was scared to bonus.

What JS lacked was the ability to realize that there’s only one John Smith! Hell, Chuck Norris chose karate because of John Smith! John was oblivious to this thinking.

It was so easy for John Smith…he didn’t take the lumps DT did after college.

DT knows a different path and Chuck still knows to stay in the Karate realm!

The biggest thing I am interested to see is how much more aggressive we are offensively, and how hard we chase bonus points vs how JS approached it.
I wouldn't say "aggressive" is the right word but I know what you mean. For example, and I'll use PSU guys because I know them best. At nationals, PSU had six guys in the finals. Three of those guys (Carter, KK, Aaron) oftentimes just plod along during matches like technicians. Like Ed Ruth. Rarely out of position. Up 3-0 after 1. 7-2 after 2. A major or tech or pin by the end of 3. Victory never in doubt. Always working the opponent like they practiced it. I think you'll see a lot of that on your team over time. Not flashy like DT or Mesenbrink or Nolf but a consistency of effort through three periods and the whole season. Less flashy are Beau Bartlett and Levi Haines. Great defensive wrestlers that are more consistently in 3-2 or 4-1 last man score wins bouts. They train for those situations though and more often than not come out on top. I think Fix was like that. That's what DT will build. A team where each individual wrestler is given the opportunity to perfect their craft according to how they feel most comfortable wrestling. No judgment.

Defensive-minded Haines won 5-0. Aggressive-minded Mesenbrink lost 9-8.

Hamiti will get better coaching at OSU than he got at Whiskey. To my eye, he’s made only minor adjustments since his freshman year. After a couple of seasons we think we know what he is (exciting guy with sub par tactics in big tilts), but David will make sure he gets needed help with Mat awareness.

No doubt he will improve, but to go from 2-2 to top 2 in a season seems like too much to expect at this point. I'd like to re-visit after the holiday tournaments. A bunch of guys will be sticking around for the summer. It will be interesting what the team looks like on the mat come Nov/Dec.

Hamiti was in the wrong weight class and completely overworked at Wisconsin.

He's going to make a huge jump. I definitely see him in the finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT