ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

At the reno Coleman, Montalvo and Ferrari advance to the semi"s with pins. Coleman used a spladle for the pin and he has used the spladle before in this tournment
"

Reactions: osu2082
At the reno Coleman, Montalvo and Ferrari advance to the semi"s with pins. Coleman used a spladle for the pin and he has used the spladle before in this tournment
"
Montalvo is 4-0 with 4 pins.. Drake Barbee from Stillwell lost his quarter final match . Poway and Buchanan are tied in first with 175.5 pts going into the semis andChoctaw in 3rd with 146.5 Choctaw has two in the semis with Coleman and Curry. Allen is now in 5th place with 117.5 pts. Choctaw came close to having 3 in the finals but Rendleman at 182 lost 12-10 in the final seconds after leading most of the way when he just ran out of gas.

Montalvo is 4-0 with 4 pins.. Drake Barbee from Stillwell lost his quarter final match . Poway and Buchanan are tied in first with 175.5 pts going into the semis andChoctaw in 3rd with 146.5 Choctaw has two in the semis with Coleman and Curry. Allen is now in 5th place with 117.5 pts. Choctaw came close to having 3 in the finals but Rendleman at 182 lost 12-10 in the final seconds after leading most of the way when he just ran out of gas.
Coleman got pinned from the top position, he gets sloppy sometimes when he is on top. Montalvo won by major and Ferrari won by decision. They will meet in the finals. Carter and Plott are in the finals at KC.

Coleman got pinned from the top position, he gets sloppy sometimes when he is on top. Montalvo won by major and Ferrari won by decision. They will meet in the finals. Carter and Plott are in the finals at KC.
Carter won 7 to 0 in the finals at KC.

Plott beat the 1st see Reineche who is the 20th rated junior in the country 7 to 4. Plott is a sophomore who shows cowboy star potential if he keeps developing.
Curry won 10 to 4 in the finals. Coleman took 3rd by beating the 2nd sees 3 to 0. Ferrari gets the takedown in overtime and he beats Montalvo 3 to 1.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us up to date and saving us time for looking, Harley!
I just watched Marcheselli in the semi's of Geary and he seems to have regressed badly. He got beat by a Blair wrestler. He seemed out of shape and he seemed to have little confidence and skill. He did not look good in a national tournament a month ago but he looked worse in this match. Maybe he is injured?

I just watched Marcheselli in the semi's of Geary and he seems to have regressed badly. He got beat by a Blair wrestler. He seemed out of shape and he seemed to have little confidence and skill. He did not look good in a national tournament a month ago but he looked worse in this match. Maybe he is injured?
Also Montalvo has pinned his way into the finals. Close to every pin was in the first period. This is a big tournament in the west the Doc Buchanan. Luke Surber just won the Geary at 138 beating blairs 8 th rated 138 in the country with some ease. He apparently is a sophomore. He is very tall for a 38. Carter Young lost in overtime to a Blair wrestler rated 6th at 106. Young is a freshman 106 but is pretty tall and likely will move up weight classes over the years. Young took second in Fargo last year.

Last edited:
Also Montalvo has pinned his way into the finals. Close to every pin was in the first period. This is a big tournament in the west the Doc Buchanan. Luke Surber just won the Geary at 138 beating blairs 8 th rated 138 in the country with some ease. He apparently is a sophomore. He is very tall for a 38. Carter Young lost in overtime to a Blair wrestler rated 6th at 106. Young is a freshman 106 but is pretty tall and likely will move up weight classes over the years. Young took second in Fargo last year.
At Geary Dustin Plott just beat the 5th rated wrestler in the country from Blair who is a senior 3 to 2. He seemed the better wrestler and he is only a sophomore. He looks like a great prospect.

Montalvo won in the finals against the 10 rated 182 by 7 to 3. He was behind with a minute left and got the takedown and back points to win. Very good match and a clutch win.

It appears to me that the Blair 160 pounder (Andrew Merola) was ranked second in the country behind Thomas Ryan of Graham OH. The top 5 are all seniors with Plott being the highest rated underclassman. It appears that he is a prospect!

Rank Year First Last City State Previous College
1 Sr. Ryan Thomas Graham OH 3 Minnesota
2 Sr. Andrew Merola Blair NJ 4 Cornell
3 Sr. Shane Griffith Bergen Cath. NJ 1 Stanford
4 Sr. Jaden Mattox Central Crossing OH 2 Ohio State
5 Sr. Tyler Dow Stoughton WI 5 Wisconsin
6 Sr. Peyton Robb Owatonna MN 6 SD State
7 So. Dustin Plott Tuttle OK 9
8 Sr. Phil Conigliaro Belmont Hill MA 10 Harvard
9 Sr. Jaryn Curry Choctaw OK 16* Oklahoma

I did not realize that Curry had signed with Oklahoma.

The number on the right was the previous ranking.

It appears to me that the Blair 160 pounder (Andrew Merola) was ranked second in the country behind Thomas Ryan of Graham OH. The top 5 are all seniors with Plott being the highest rated underclassman. It appears that he is a prospect!

Rank Year First Last City State Previous College
1 Sr. Ryan Thomas Graham OH 3 Minnesota
2 Sr. Andrew Merola Blair NJ 4 Cornell
3 Sr. Shane Griffith Bergen Cath. NJ 1 Stanford
4 Sr. Jaden Mattox Central Crossing OH 2 Ohio State
5 Sr. Tyler Dow Stoughton WI 5 Wisconsin
6 Sr. Peyton Robb Owatonna MN 6 SD State
7 So. Dustin Plott Tuttle OK 9
8 Sr. Phil Conigliaro Belmont Hill MA 10 Harvard
9 Sr. Jaryn Curry Choctaw OK 16* Oklahoma

I did not realize that Curry had signed with Oklahoma.

The number on the right was the previous ranking.
You are right and I did not notice more recent ratings. He really jumped levels from his freshman to sophomore years. Hopefully he continues to develop. I noticed that Zac Coleman did not wrestle in this tournament and I think that Curry was at 170 for Choctaw.

You are right and I did not notice more recent ratings. He really jumped levels from his freshman to sophomore years. Hopefully he continues to develop. I noticed that Zac Coleman did not wrestle in this tournament and I think that Curry was at 170 for Choctaw.
Anybody know where brackets can be found to Geary? Looked at Track and Flo and didn’t see them.

I have done a little research on Luke Surber besides winning Geary he won the KC stampede and last years state. Two sophomore prospects from Tuttle with Surber and Plott. Do Tuttle guys like the Cowboys or Sooners. I know last year the sooners got a very good wrestler from Tuttle who was a real killer on top wrestled about 138. We went with Gfeller at the same weight class.

Plott loves OSU And the Tuttle kid that Ou got is out for a while or maybe done for with back injuries

Also, keeping up with some of our other recruits...

Daniel Kirkvliet (2019 class) is undefeated at 220 so far this year. Most recently he won the Cheesehead tournament with 6 pins in 5:12.

Travis Wittlake Jr (2018 class) is undefeated at 170 this year. He just won OW at the Sierra Nevada Classic tournament and became the first 4 time champ of that tourney.

Jalin Harper (2018 class) is 22-1 on the year at 160. He just won the JR Durham tournament. His only loss this year was to Caleb Wise of Broken Arrow in SV in the finals of the Gardner Edgerton Invite. That was his first action of the season (he played FS in football). His coach said Caleb and Jalin were equally talented and he expected them to have many battles in college (I think Wise is an OU commit).

Back to the title of this thread...

On FRL today they discussed our lineup for next year. Remember, Willie just spent a week hanging out with our coaches in Italy so this is probably pretty accurate. They said the plan in order is Picc, Daton, Kaid, Boo, Joe, Chandler, Jacobe, Keegan, Preston, Derek.

They also speculated that Joe is having a hard time with 165 this year, so the team might limit the number of times he has to make 157 next year (kind of like what tOSU is doing with Nato this year). They also said Kaden may challenge Kaid at 141 and the loser might then go up to challenge Boo at 149.

On FRL today they discussed our lineup for next year. Remember, Willie just spent a week hanging out with our coaches in Italy so this is probably pretty accurate. They said the plan in order is Picc, Daton, Kaid, Boo, Joe, Chandler, Jacobe, Keegan, Preston, Derek.

They also speculated that Joe is having a hard time with 165 this year, so the team might limit the number of times he has to make 157 next year (kind of like what tOSU is doing with Nato this year). They also said Kaden may challenge Kaid at 141 and the loser might then go up to challenge Boo at 149.
Between 141 and 149 i can’t think of a team that is deeper than you guys the possibility that 2 All Americans could be on the bench is amazing and speaks to the recruiting and coaching ability at OSU

That lineup makes sense but will have to reload with 4 seniors on the back half of lineup.

There is some serious concern that Joe won't be able to get back down to 157.

It might be interesting to see Geo if he focuesed a whole offseason bumping up to 157.

Rogers is also a big 165 who has to be VERY careful throughout the season with his weight.

There is some serious concern that Joe won't be able to get back down to 157.

It might be interesting to see Geo if he focuesed a whole offseason bumping up to 157.

Rogers is also a big 165 who has to be VERY careful throughout the season with his weight.[/QUOTE

Line up has one big obstacle. Daton Fix is a 125 pounder. He does not struggle to make this weight and this is where he wants to be. He might go 133 for the team but that is not where he wants to be. I have this on pretty good authority.

Line up has one big obstacle. Daton Fix is a 125 pounder. He does not struggle to make this weight and this is where he wants to be. He might go 133 for the team but that is not where he wants to be. I have this on pretty good authority.

Things have changed to a degree on that and 133 may very well be the weight he goes and not just for the teams sake. If Fix wants to and can continue to make 125 then I think there is a chance that's where he stays but I wouldn't be shocked to see him at 133 for his 4 years here.

I'd love to see him stay at 125 as I think he would hold some physical advantages there he may not have at 133.

Reactions: oberebo
This might not be a popular opinion but here goes...

If Daton going 133 for the team is needed in order to keep Picc in the lineup, then I support it. First because I think an energized Fix would be a terror for opponents. The only one I see as being a serious challenger to him would be Gross, due to his length and top game. And I would still favor Daton. But another consideration is Picc is a NY kid that chose Stillwater over some eastern power schools. It's important to show future non Oklahoma recruits that you can still be successful at OSU, and not only at PSU and tOSU. Lastly, he does everything right on and off the mat. And if you follow social media at all, you'll see he is one of the first guys to congratulate and praise his teammates. Leadership like that needs to be retained.

The FLO guys also weren't necessarily buying the fact Smith can make 157 next year. They also made it sound like the coaches were still open to either of our guys being 125/133.

Reactions: Pokes2010

The FLO guys also weren't necessarily buying the fact Smith can make 157 next year. They also made it sound like the coaches were still open to either of our guys being 125/133.

Thurman is correct. They definitely didn't say 125-Pic and 133-Fix. They basically said one at one weight and the other up. They acted shocked that it may be what happens and said they didn't really understand it and felt it would be Pic-125 Fix-133, but Willie said the staff directly told him one of them at 125 and the other at 133 and the staff said it could be either or

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Thurman is correct. They definitely didn't say 125-Pic and 133-Fix. They basically said one at one weight and the other up. They acted shocked that it may be what happens and said they didn't really understand it and felt it would be Pic-125 Fix-133, but Willie said the staff directly told him one of them at 125 and the other at 133 and the staff said it could be either or

Yeah, you guys are right. Admittedly, I usually only listen to FRL topics that pertain to OSU - I don't normally have the time to listen for a full hour. I just listened to the whole thing now. In the first part, Christian read off Willie's lineup with Picc first and Daton second. Then at the end of the episode they answered fan questions. It was here that Willie said he spoke to an assistant coach and he was told 125/133 is not decided yet.

I think the caveat is that Pic is a 125 and not a tweeter which is currently where Daton is. There are some who think Daton could project as a 141 late in his career but so far he has held 125 so maybe he can continue to do so.

If Pic has to bump to 133 it will be very tough for him due to size and strength.

Yeah, you guys are right. Admittedly, I usually only listen to FRL topics that pertain to OSU - I don't normally have the time to listen for a full hour. I just listened to the whole thing now. In the first part, Christian read off Willie's lineup with Picc first and Daton second. Then at the end of the episode they answered fan questions. It was here that Willie said he spoke to an assistant coach and he was told 125/133 is not decided yet.
They did say something about possibly going more in depth on it during today's show. It may be interesting to hear

Montalvo won in the finals against the 10 rated 182 by 7 to 3. He was behind with a minute left and got the takedown and back points to win. Very good match and a clutch win.
Montalvo wrestled this same ranked wrestler in who is number 1 dual and won 5 to 2 in overtime. He had top and road him and in the seconds exposed his opponents shoulders for 2 points then he escaped right away for the 3 point win. The opponent is from catholic bergan high school. Good win again. I just turned to the 5 counties tournament and Trent Munoz 152 junior won by tech fall in the quarters. He took second last week in that Doc Buchanan big tournament. He is Mark Munoz's son I believe.

Last edited:
Montalvo wrestled this same ranked wrestler in who is number 1 dual and won 5 to 2 in overtime. He had top and road him and in the seconds exposed his opponents shoulders for 2 points then he escaped right away for the 3 point win. The opponent is from catholic bergan high school. Good win again. I just turned to the 5 counties tournament and Trent Munoz 152 junior won by tech fall in the quarters. He took second last week in that Doc Buchanan big tournament. He is Mark Munoz's son I believe.
Montalvo beat Blair's 8th rated in the country 182 9 to 3. Montalvo was very impressive dominating Tarintino. Then in the 3rd dual of the day Montalvo gets a second period pin. He is good at bar the arm and then turning for the pin or getting back points.

Last edited:
Montalvo beat Blair's 8th rated in the country 182 9 to 3. Montalvo was very impressive dominating Tarintino.
Munoz wins by pin in the semi's. Munoz won in the finals in overtime, from watching this match he is not a wrestler that would help us catch Penn. St. Now Bartlett a soph. in Pennsylvania is an unbelievably good prospect. He would be in the class with Ferrari, Plott and Vasquez. 2019 and 2020 classes need to be outstanding if we are to ever catch Penn. St in the near future. For next I stress that Smith needs to be at 57 for us to have much of a chance to beat Penn. St. Also our non senior wrestlers need to be developing instead of regressing. Things would have to start rolling our way( which it has to some degree with Whitlake and Kirkvliet committing) but we would need much more than this. The Ohio St. OSU actually has a decent chance to beat beat Penn. St. this year if things roll their way. It was unbelievable how everything went Penn. St. way at the tournament last year.

Last edited:
Montalvo beat Blair's 8th rated in the country 182 9 to 3. Montalvo was very impressive dominating Tarintino. Then in the 3rd dual of the day Montalvo gets a second period pin. He is good at bar the arm and then turning for the pin or getting back points.
Montalvo is looking good. For the 2019-2020 season, I think we see 165 Joe, 174 Travis Wittlake Jr, 184 Anthony Montalvo, 197 Keegan/Andrew. And possibly Daniel Kirkvliet at Hvy depending on if he needs a redshirt. Would love to add AJ Ferrari at 197, Zane Coleman at 165 and Dustin Plott wherever he projects.

I think the caveat is that Pic is a 125 and not a tweeter which is currently where Daton is. There are some who think Daton could project as a 141 late in his career but so far he has held 125 so maybe he can continue to do so.

If Pic has to bump to 133 it will be very tough for him due to size and strength.
Where are you hearing Daton is a tweener? I’m hearing different. That he has no trouble making 125.

Next year we would have a chance to win Nationals as a team. We would need a miracle to happen to win this year. This year we need individual improvement during the year to improve our chances next year. It is a shame next year that a very good lighter weight wrestler will not be able to wrestle because we are packed in the first 4 weight classes. Picinini needs to keep developing along with Fix developing in folk style. Brock needs to improve on bottom and on his takedown defense. Hopefully someone at 149 jumps levels and pulls away from the pack. Gfeller may be left out next year but who knows how much he will develop. Joe Smith needs to be strong at 57. The reason I say next year instead of the next 2 years is we will lose a lot after next year ( Weigel, White, Jacobe Smith and Rogers) and have a replacement only for White at HWT. 184 improving a lot which likely means Moore will be a real key. I have never had much confidence in Marsdens style of wrestling and his horrible defense of his legs. Finishing well in 2018, terrible start( likely the main reason we had staff changes this year) and having a great 2019 recruiting class could improve our future obviously. Our sophomore class is the strength of this team ( great recruiting that year) Picinini, Brock, LeWallen, Moran, Smith. Lastly we need to be more careful with our scholarship money. We need individuals to jump levels this year especially finishing high at Nationals.
Don’t think Gfeller gets left out. Didn’t he defeat the Penn State stud this year?

Where are you hearing Daton is a tweener? I’m hearing different. That he has no trouble making 125.

It was second hand but came from our coach. Said that the cut had gotten a lot tougher the last three or four months.

Reactions: MiccoMacey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT