ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Harleycowboy

All-American
Feb 23, 2006
Next year we would have a chance to win Nationals as a team. We would need a miracle to happen to win this year. This year we need individual improvement during the year to improve our chances next year. It is a shame next year that a very good lighter weight wrestler will not be able to wrestle because we are packed in the first 4 weight classes. Picinini needs to keep developing along with Fix developing in folk style. Brock needs to improve on bottom and on his takedown defense. Hopefully someone at 149 jumps levels and pulls away from the pack. Gfeller may be left out next year but who knows how much he will develop. Joe Smith needs to be strong at 57. The reason I say next year instead of the next 2 years is we will lose a lot after next year ( Weigel, White, Jacobe Smith and Rogers) and have a replacement only for White at HWT. 184 improving a lot which likely means Moore will be a real key. I have never had much confidence in Marsdens style of wrestling and his horrible defense of his legs. Finishing well in 2018, terrible start( likely the main reason we had staff changes this year) and having a great 2019 recruiting class could improve our future obviously. Our sophomore class is the strength of this team ( great recruiting that year) Picinini, Brock, LeWallen, Moran, Smith. Lastly we need to be more careful with our scholarship money. We need individuals to jump levels this year especially finishing high at Nationals.

Personally I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Current season hasn't even yet started, should enjoy watching the current wrestlers develop. I don't see any high probability lock in the next few years (there's a lot of talent out there) and really wish someone would change this forum title. Been counting for quite some time and its not helping. Lets enjoy the 2017/18 team and season.

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about the future. Heck, with Smith redshirting it is pretty clear the coaches are looking towards the future.

Fix, Picc, Smith, Kaid and the HWT kid should form the nucleus of a pretty salty squad in two years. If some of these other young guys develop and/or we add another stud or two we could have something special.

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about the future. Heck, with Smith redshirting it is pretty clear the coaches are looking towards the future.

Fix, Picc, Smith, Kaid and the HWT kid should form the nucleus of a pretty salty squad in two years. If some of these other young guys develop and/or we add another stud or two we could have something special.

Whitlake was a massive pickup today. He is in the vein of the studs PSU has dominating in their lineup currently. Stealing him directly from PSU is a plus as well.

Next year we would have a chance to win Nationals as a team. We would need a miracle to happen to win this year. This year we need individual improvement during the year to improve our chances next year. It is a shame next year that a very good lighter weight wrestler will not be able to wrestle because we are packed in the first 4 weight classes. Picinini needs to keep developing along with Fix developing in folk style. Brock needs to improve on bottom and on his takedown defense. Hopefully someone at 149 jumps levels and pulls away from the pack. Gfeller may be left out next year but who knows how much he will develop. Joe Smith needs to be strong at 57. The reason I say next year instead of the next 2 years is we will lose a lot after next year ( Weigel, White, Jacobe Smith and Rogers) and have a replacement only for White at HWT. 184 improving a lot which likely means Moore will be a real key. I have never had much confidence in Marsdens style of wrestling and his horrible defense of his legs. Finishing well in 2018, terrible start( likely the main reason we had staff changes this year) and having a great 2019 recruiting class could improve our future obviously. Our sophomore class is the strength of this team ( great recruiting that year) Picinini, Brock, LeWallen, Moran, Smith. Lastly we need to be more careful with our scholarship money. We need individuals to jump levels this year especially finishing high at Nationals.
Looking at the roster it is unreal how many juniors we have. Which should mean lots of financial aid will be available for the 2019 class. As I indicated a big 2019 recruiting year is a must. 2018 took a jump with Whitlake being a cowboy. I didn't think much so far of Montalvo from the 32 tournament ( he lost to 2 unranked opponents). Here is the wrestlers I think we lose after next year. As I mentioned we lose Weigel, White, Rogers and Jacobe Smith) but we also lose Martinez, Magaldo, Andrews, Blaylock, Harding, Cannon, and D. Moran. 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes ( as I said the sophomores are our strength) have to be great. We got a good start with HWT but we need several more blue chips in 2019. Wrestling has changed and you don't take recruiting 1 year at a time because even 2019 already many of the best are already committed. I think maybe with the new staff we have figured that out.

Reactions: JAY45
Looking at the roster it is unreal how many juniors we have. Which should mean lots of financial aid will be available for the 2019 class. As I indicated a big 2019 recruiting year is a must. 2018 took a jump with Whitlake being a cowboy. I didn't think much so far of Montalvo from the 32 tournament ( he lost to 2 unranked opponents). Here is the wrestlers I think we lose after next year. As I mentioned we lose Weigel, White, Rogers and Jacobe Smith) but we also lose Martinez, Magaldo, Andrews, Blaylock, Harding, Cannon, and D. Moran. 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes ( as I said the sophomores are our strength) have to be great. We got a good start with HWT but we need several more blue chips in 2019. Wrestling has changed and you don't take recruiting 1 year at a time because even 2019 already many of the best are already committed. I think maybe with the new staff we have figured that out.

This has already been said, but it's worth repeating. The Wittlake and Kerkvliet commitments are huge. That's a Cadet bronze medalist and a Cadet gold medalist that will be in the room training with the Junior gold medalist Daton Fix. The ultra elite recruits share a common goal of winning senior World and Olympic titles. I believe (hope) these 3 will attract other top recruits to Stillwater.

One other point, it's true that Anthony Montalvo is only ranked around 54th and Jalin Harper is not currently in the top 100. But everything I've been able to read about them indicates they are both tough, extremely hard working kids. We need guys like that in the room too (Nolan Boyd types). Let them wrestle Travis Wittlake day in and day out, it wouldn't surprise me if we see an AA or two down the road in a few years.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
Is there a possibility of Kaid Brock redshirting next year as the hopes are the medical redshirt would happen later. This way we get Piccinini and Fix in the lineup. I would think one of them might be small at 133. My thought would be for Daton Fix to take an Olympic redshirt the following year to get ready for the Olympic team and Piccinini and Brock could wrestle the 2018 and 2019 season, then it would be Fix and Brock as Piccinini would have graduated. Check my logic and understanding of the redshirt possibilities.
This is for John and staff to figure out.

Is there a possibility of Kaid Brock redshirting next year as the hopes are the medical redshirt would happen later. This way we get Piccinini and Fix in the lineup. I would think one of them might be small at 133. My thought would be for Daton Fix to take an Olympic redshirt the following year to get ready for the Olympic team and Piccinini and Brock could wrestle the 2018 and 2019 season, then it would be Fix and Brock as Piccinini would have graduated. Check my logic and understanding of the redshirt possibilities.
This is for John and staff to figure out.

Don't think you can do that, since you are allowed 5 years to compete for 4. A 6th year is sometimes granted if 2 seasons are lost due to injury but that wouldn't be the case here.

Posting this comment here rather than the "Ft Hayes open next weekend" thread in case it leads to some more discussion. Besides Joe at 157 or 165 next year, I think another big decision will be where does Daton go, 125 or 133? I've heard him say in a couple of interviews that he expects to be a 125er. If so, one obvious lineup is this:
125: Daton
133: Picc
141: Kaid/Kaden
149: Boo/Geo/Tristan
157: Joe
165: Chandler
174: Jacobe
184: Keegan/Andrew
197: Preston
285: Derek

Does that maximize our team points at nationals? Big fan of Picc, think he's a great wrestler and a terrific teammate & team leader. But can he put on the size for 133 and be a definite top 3 there? I think Picc at 125 and Daton at 133 is a stronger lineup with both of them serious title contenders.

Also, does this lineup score more or less at nationals?
125: Daton (if Daton feels strongly about being at 125 and Picc can't beat him out)
133: Kaid (a bit of an unknown at 141, but a surefire contender at 133)
141: Boo/Kaden (Boo adds another title contender if he drops from 149)
149: Geo/Tristan (probable AA)

How about this one?
125: Picc
133: Daton
149: Boo/Tristan
157: Geo/Jonce (AA after another year of weight training for them?)
165: Joe (doesn't cut as much, just focuses on improving, how does he do up here?)
174: Chandler/Jacobe (Jacobe has as much upside as anyone on the team, but he hasn't proven to be top 10 just yet)
184: Keegan/Andrew/Jacobe

Just throwing some possibilities out there.

Big keys are what Daton and Kaid want to do IMO although both have said they will do what the coaches tell them and sure seem like ultimate team guys. I think they are the best two lower weight guys and should be able to dictate which weight that want.

Now if Picc find himself in the finals then things could get interesting in the offseason.

When you go up the weights it's pretty simple if Joe can maintain 157 in a healthy manner as that puts our best guys out there. If not then it gets interesting.

Good problems to have!

How would Kaid fare at 141? He has struggled against the bigger guys at 133 (Gross/Lizak).

It is weird as the cut to 133 isn't easy on him but he has struggled with the bigger longer guys at the weight. On the feet he is elite at either weight.

Posting this comment here rather than the "Ft Hayes open next weekend" thread in case it leads to some more discussion. Besides Joe at 157 or 165 next year, I think another big decision will be where does Daton go, 125 or 133? I've heard him say in a couple of interviews that he expects to be a 125er. If so, one obvious lineup is this:
125: Daton
133: Picc
149: Boo/Geo/Tristan

Does that maximize our team points at nationals? Big fan of Picc, think he's a great wrestler and a terrific teammate & team leader. But can he put on the size for 133 and be a definite top 3 there? I think Picc at 125 and Daton at 133 is a stronger lineup with both of them serious title contenders.

Also, does this lineup score more or less at nationals?
125: Daton (if Daton feels strongly about being at 125 and Picc can't beat him out)
133: Kaid (a bit of an unknown at 141, but a surefire contender at 133)
141: Boo/Kaden (Boo adds another title contender if he drops from 149)
149: Geo/Tristan (probable AA)

How about this one?
125: Picc
133: Daton
149: Boo/Tristan
157: Geo/Jonce (AA after another year of weight training for them?)
165: Joe (doesn't cut as much, just focuses on improving, how does he do up here?)
174: Chandler/Jacobe (Jacobe has as much upside as anyone on the team, but he hasn't proven to be top 10 just yet)
184: Keegan/Andrew/Jacobe

Just throwing some possibilities out there.
Speaking of next year, we will really have a need to get a 97 pounder. Marcheselli of broken arrow is the top rated junior at 97 at this time. I think he is wrestling at the iron man tournament starting Friday. I hope that he shines at this tournament and becomes 1 of our main targets for the class of 2019.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Speaking of next year, we will really have a need to get a 97 pounder. Marcheselli of broken arrow is the top rated junior at 97 at this time. I think he is wrestling at the iron man tournament starting Friday. I hope that he shines at this tournament and becomes 1 of our main targets for the class of 2019.
I believe he is a OSU fan also

Anyone know if Marcheselli is expected to choose wrestling over football? He would be a nice pickup along with Zane Coleman in the 2019 class.

Another wrestler to watch at the Ironman is A.J. Ferrari (Allen TX) at 182. He is in the 2020 class and might be the next wrestling phenom. Currently projects to 184/197.

Anyone know if Marcheselli is expected to choose wrestling over football? He would be a nice pickup along with Zane Coleman in the 2019 class.

Another wrestler to watch at the Ironman is A.J. Ferrari (Allen TX) at 182. He is in the 2020 class and might be the next wrestling phenom. Currently projects to 184/197.

At this point he is a much more highly regarded wrestling prospect than he is a football prospect.

At this point he is a much more highly regarded wrestling prospect than he is a football prospect.

Speaking of multi-sport athletes, about a week ago Brock Martin tweeted that he missed wrestling and his father responded back that he should wrestle next year. That would be interesting.

Reactions: osu2082
I just finished watching Marcheselli wrestle and he won 14 to 1. He was dominating. I also watched Ferrari at 182 and he was dominating also. I wonder if there is some concern about Marcheselli outgrowing 197. I sure wish we would have gotten Carr also. A future superstar along with Whitlake.

I just finished watching Marcheselli wrestle and he won 14 to 1. He was dominating. I also watched Ferrari at 182 and he was dominating also. I wonder if there is some concern about Marcheselli outgrowing 197. I sure wish we would have gotten Carr also. A future superstar along with Whitlake.
Marcheselli will probably make the final. 2 seed inj. defaulted out.

Marcheselli lost in the quarters 5 to 3. He was not impressive. Ferreri won in the quarters.

Marcheselli lost in the quarters 5 to 3. He was not impressive. Ferreri won in the quarters.

He has been back in the wrestling room for only two weeks and probably still struggling a bit getting down to weight.

He has been back in the wrestling room for only two weeks and probably still struggling a bit getting down to weight.
Ferrari won 5-2 in the finals. Carr wpm 8-1 in the finals. At 220 Brock Amos won handily. He is also only a sophomore and has incredible athletic abilitty.Cohlton Schultz won by fall at heavy weight and looked impressive before the fall. Marchiselli did not place at 195 but his Broken Arrow team-mate Caleb Wise placed 8th at 160.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Ferrari little Brother ( the middle brother ) is a absolute beast so getting a family pipe line would be huge.

Perry Tournament:

285 - Montana Phillips (7-0) placed 1st and scored 32.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Ryan Cochran* (Claremore) 0-2 (Fall 0:52)
Champ. Round 2 - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Paul Odell (Claremore) 1-2 (Fall 0:29)
Quarterfinal - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Morgan Moore (Midwest City) 1-2 (Fall 1:13)
Semifinal - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Kameron Linsenmeyer (Stillwater) 5-1 (Fall 2:32)
1st Place Match - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by decision over Caulin Poole (Choctaw) 4-1 (Dec 4-1)

Reactions: oberebo
Perry Tournament:

285 - Montana Phillips (7-0) placed 1st and scored 32.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Ryan Cochran* (Claremore) 0-2 (Fall 0:52)
Champ. Round 2 - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Paul Odell (Claremore) 1-2 (Fall 0:29)
Quarterfinal - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Morgan Moore (Midwest City) 1-2 (Fall 1:13)
Semifinal - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by fall over Kameron Linsenmeyer (Stillwater) 5-1 (Fall 2:32)
1st Place Match - Montana Phillips (MacArthur) 7-0 won by decision over Caulin Poole (Choctaw) 4-1 (Dec 4-1)
If I did not know better I would assume you were related but knowing you the family would not claim you.:):)

I saw on Flo where Dustin Plott from Tuttle was the highest ranked sophomore at 160 pounds. Is he on our radar?

The more I think about it that is a pretty stupid question. Of course if he is highly rated and from Oklahoma John is aware.

Last edited:
Plott was really close in the finals to the guy who won the 32 tournament and also won the iron man this year. I think his name is Thomas and he signed with Minnesota in November. If Plott keeps developing he could be a top 10 recruit in his class (soph). I also saw Coleman( jun ) is at 82 and pinned his way through an Oklahoma tournament this weekend. I also saw that Carter Young won that tournament at 106 also and is rated about 20 in the class of current freshmen. So there is a few Oklahoma kids that could be standouts down the road. However it is obvious we need to get most of the superstars from out of state (like Whitlake).

A ranking that high for a sophomore at a mid-sized weight sounds impressive. Not sure if he has any growth left in him, but sounds promising.

I may be reading into something that's not there, but I think OSU may be in really, really deep on Ferrari. If you look at his Twitter the only college he Tweets about is OSU, the only NCAA coaches he follows/follow him are Cowboys. He seems really family oriented, so I would assume he wants to stay close to his family, which OSU is. I know there's a chance he has pretty strong ties to Bo and that could sway him to PSU, but I think OSU has a pretty good shot with this kid.

Plott was really close in the finals to the guy who won the 32 tournament and also won the iron man this year. I think his name is Thomas and he signed with Minnesota in November. If Plott keeps developing he could be a top 10 recruit in his class (soph). I also saw Coleman( jun ) is at 82 and pinned his way through an Oklahoma tournament this weekend. I also saw that Carter Young won that tournament at 106 also and is rated about 20 in the class of current freshmen. So there is a few Oklahoma kids that could be standouts down the road. However it is obvious we need to get most of the superstars from out of state (like Whitlake).
I just glanced at the Reno high school tournament and saw Montalvo and Ferrari are at 82 and Zane Coleman is at 170. I hope they get some tape of Coleman because I have never seen him wrestle and he could be a cowboy one day.

I just glanced at the Reno high school tournament and saw Montalvo and Ferrari are at 82 and Zane Coleman is at 170. I hope they get some tape of Coleman because I have never seen him wrestle and he could be a cowboy one day.
Ferrari and Montalvo had pins their first 2 matches. Coleman had a pin and a major decision. A leg wrestler held him down after 2 reversals or also he would have had a tech fall. At the kc stampede both carter and Plott and undefeated and beating opponents badly

Ferrari and Montalvo had pins their first 2 matches. Coleman had a pin and a major decision. A leg wrestler held him down after 2 reversals or also he would have had a tech fall. At the kc stampede both carter and Plott and undefeated and beating opponents badly
Montalvo, Ferrari and Coleman won tonight and have made the quarterfinals. Each won easily with Coleman winning 6 to 0, Montalvo won by pin and I believe Ferrari either won by pin or tech (missed the end).

Reactions: Rdcldad
Montalvo, Ferrari and Coleman won tonight and have made the quarterfinals. Each won easily with Coleman winning 6 to 0, Montalvo won by pin and I believe Ferrari either won by pin or tech (missed the end).[/QUOTEQuarter final matchups featuring Oklahoma wrestlers or other wrestlers of note:
126 Colt Newman Choctaw v. Nicholas Gonzales Adams City.
145 Jaxen Gilmore Yukon v. Josh Tolentino Poway
160 Jaryn Curry Choctaw v. Gavin Deaguero Adams City
170 Zane Coleman Choctaw v. Hayes Neukom Meridian
182 AJ Ferrari Allen v. Michael Cox Columbia, Easton Rendleman Choctaw v. Nathan Tausch Poway, Anthony Montalvo Buchanan v. Drian Hays legacy
195 Drake Barbee Stillwell,Ok v. Santos Cantu Sprague
285 Cohlton Schultz Ponderosa v. Ben Dooley
Team scores before quarter-finals
1. Poway 141.5, 2. Buchanan 137.5 , 3. CHOCTAW 123.5, 4. Pueblo County 103,5. Oakdale 97.5, 7. Allen 92, 16. Yukon 79.5. There are over 150 teams competing in the High School division

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT