ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

More on potential recruits...

Luke Surber (138) and Dustin Plott (160) won the Greg Henning Invite and remain undefeated on the year. Tuttle won the team title over Allen (Tx). AJ Ferrari did not wrestle for Allen.

And completely unrelated, other than there being a post in this thread about him, Ryan Blees dropped to 149 and is 9-1 there. He just beat Davion Jeffries in SV. From what I remember, he wrestled 165 as a true freshman for us, then had a decent size cut to make 157 as a redshirt freshman. Good luck to him.

More on potential recruits...

Luke Surber (138) and Dustin Plott (160) won the Greg Henning Invite and remain undefeated on the year. Tuttle won the team title over Allen (Tx). AJ Ferrari did not wrestle for Allen.

And completely unrelated, other than there being a post in this thread about him, Ryan Blees dropped to 149 and is 9-1 there. He just beat Davion Jeffries in SV. From what I remember, he wrestled 165 as a true freshman for us, then had a decent size cut to make 157 as a redshirt freshman. Good luck to him.
I noticed that about Blees as well and it looks like he was at 49 last year as well.

I noticed that about Blees as well and it looks like he was at 49 last year as well.

I remember reading an article on him a few years back when we were recruiting him. I believe he said he dropped from the low 170s down to 152 in the summer before his senior year because he wanted to compete at a tough weight at Fargo - he beat Jake Short in the finals. The following summer he beat Logan Massa in the Fargo finals at 160. I think he just didn't have the horsepower in college for 157. Seems like a good kid, hope he does well at 149.

Montalvo is looking good. For the 2019-2020 season, I think we see 165 Joe, 174 Travis Wittlake Jr, 184 Anthony Montalvo, 197 Keegan/Andrew. And possibly Daniel Kirkvliet at Hvy depending on if he needs a redshirt. Would love to add AJ Ferrari at 197, Zane Coleman at 165 and Dustin Plott wherever he projects.
Montalvo went up to 95 to wrestle the 4th rated 195 wrestler in California. Montalvo won 5 to 1 the other guy was way bigger but Montalvo won easily. He did celebrate and lost a team point but his team was way ahead.

Gable Steveson tweeted that he and Daniel Kerkvliet will wrestle when their teams dual on Friday. I think they agreed to it to generate excitement for MN wrestling fans. It's kind of like the HS equivalent of Seth Gross vs Bryce Meredith, although Gable probably outweighs Daniel by 30+ pounds. I think it's great and shows that these kids understand how to grow wrestling.

Reactions: osu2082
Penn. St. as expected got a commitment from Brooks 74-84 a cadet world champ and rated 13 all weights this year. Any one know who we are going after in 2019 besides Kirkvliet. By the way Kirkvliet may go up to HWT to wrestle Gable Stevenson Friday night in a high school dual.

Has anyone heard the rumor that Kirkvliet is going to wrestle Gable Stevenson this weekend? I heard that somewhere.

Yea he is bumping up to promote wrestling and wrestle this "super match." Great for wrestling and props to both of these guys.

I just watched the match and it was not as close as the score indicates but we have a heck of a HWT coming to Stillwater. If he was a little bigger and stronger he could have had a couple of takedowns.

I thought it was extremely close. DK was in deep on two very good shots and it could be argued he was the more offensively aggressive wrestler throughout. He bumped up in weight to make this happen and the size difference proved key.

Two extremely talented young wrestlers. I love the frame and length of DK.

i love the ceiling of DK. he was right there with gable. he got wore down a bit because of the size but he was game and in on several shots. i wouldn't be surprise if he ends up surpassing him in college

Very good match between two young studs. My takeaway is that while we knew going in that Gable was a special talent, it now looks like Daniel is as well. There are several good heavies coming up - Schultz, Nevills, Parris - but I think we just saw the two best.

Jason Bryant interviewed Daniel a few months back after he won his Cadet title and asked him about his weight. Daniel said that he weighed in a couple of kilos under the 100 kg limit and and he planned to gain weight to wrestle 220 for the upcoming high school season. He also said that while he planned to wrestle 285 in college, he expected to wrestle down at 97 kg internationally after college. I don't see it, I think this kid fills in and ends up weighing a solid 260 in a few years.

I took a look at the MN wrestling board to see what they were saying. I used to read a few different forums, but now I'm down to just Iowa's and this one. Anyway, I can't vouch for the authenticity, but a poster stated that his son and Daniel are teammates at Simley HS. He said Daniel weighed in at 212 yesterday. Also said that Daniel excels in the wrestling room, weight room and classroom, and that he is a leader and role model to the other kids.

I took a look at the MN wrestling board to see what they were saying. I used to read a few different forums, but now I'm down to just Iowa's and this one. Anyway, I can't vouch for the authenticity, but a poster stated that his son and Daniel are teammates at Simley HS. He said Daniel weighed in at 212 yesterday. Also said that Daniel excels in the wrestling room, weight room and classroom, and that he is a leader and role model to the other kids.
Penn. St. is ahead of Ohio St. 19 to 15 going into Hwt. Cassar just beat the number 1 197. They have won the last 4 matches. Their recruiting and development appears so far ahead us. Next year we may be battling for second unless big changes occur in Stillwater (positive) or big changes occur at penn. St (negative).. They still might lose this dual because Snyder is up next but this without Nolf.

It's a surprise outcome with nolf without a doubt, but I still think Ohio state is the better tournament team. I could be wrong...

The 197 starter competition for the lions just got real interesting.... shakur was pinning everyone over past couple of months.

Penn. St. is ahead of Ohio St. 19 to 15 going into Hwt. Cassar just beat the number 1 197. They have won the last 4 matches. Their recruiting and development appears so far ahead us. Next year we may be battling for second unless big changes occur in Stillwater (positive) or big changes occur at penn. St (negative).. They still might lose this dual because Snyder is up next but this without Nolf.

Harley, I know you are hoping for a NC next year, but I just don't see it happening. PSU will return too much firepower. They will have 4 guys favored to win a title (157, 165, 174, 184) plus 3 others expected to be mid to high AA (141, 197, 285). On top of that, they will have elite redshirt and true freshman ready to plug in at 125, 133, and 149. I see us in a close battle for 2nd with Iowa and tOSU.

Harley, I know you are hoping for a NC next year, but I just don't see it happening. PSU will return too much firepower. They will have 4 guys favored to win a title (157, 165, 174, 184) plus 3 others expected to be mid to high AA (141, 197, 285). On top of that, they will have elite redshirt and true freshman ready to plug in at 125, 133, and 149. I see us in a close battle for 2nd with Iowa and tOSU.

PSU is going to be tough to overtake in 2018 and I think realistically our best shot is 2019 but minor point is it's very possible PSU will NOT be favored at 174 going into next season.

PSU is going to be tough to overtake in 2018 and I think realistically our best shot is 2019 but minor point is it's very possible PSU will NOT be favored at 174 going into next season.

Yeah, Hall could very well lose to Valencia, but he's a huge favorite to at least make the finals. Aside from Daton, I don't think we will have anyone favored to reach the finals.

PSU is going to be the favorite for the next 3 years I think. They have everything working in their favor

2020 is our next possible shot at a title. We should be battling with Iowa and PSU. Will we have enough firepower? Possible lineups:

Good guys/Bad guys/Money guys
Picc/Lee/Teske
Daton/?/RBY
Kaid/Murin/Lee
Boo/Lugo/Verklereen
Kaden/Kemerer/Berge
Joe/Marinelli/Joseph
Wittlake/Young/Hall
Montalvo/Wilcke/Brooks
?/Warner/Cassar
Kerkvliet/Cassiopia/Nevills

Lee defeats Sebastian Rivera 7-4. Similar match to Picc's. Lee takes him down quickly, turns him and takes a 6-0 lead into the 2nd. Lee then seems to tire a little as Rivera rides him out in the 2nd. Rivera chooses neutral in the 3rd and takes Lee down, cuts him, then takes him down again.

Wrassler I think you are right. In fact I think they will be favored to win 197 also. I have been looking for wrestler development to reassure we have a chance next year but I have not seen much development at all and have not seen anyone jump levels. I would imagine most of that is on the wrestlers but some certainly on the coaches. We have to recruit higher rated and more driven wrestlers. Our development as I see it ( probably more negative than most). Picc some development but not enough, Brock no development from last year, Heil has regressed a lot, Lewallan looked much better at 41 last year than this year at 49, Blaylock has improved some and gets the most out of his abilities, Rogers has not progressed at all from last year(yes he is still exciting), Smith maybe has made a little progress but I was hoping for better than 12th in the country, Moore is a redshirt freshman who unbelievably has made no progress maybe he has regressed., Weigel has not made any progress from the end of last year but injuries could be part of that and then the shining star is White who likely has jumped a level in the move to HWT. Also Martinez has not made any progress in almost 2 years in Stillwater. We have to recruit higher rated and more driven wrestlers. Our coaching staff needs a through and honest evaluation. Maybe this has begun with the changes that have been made so far.

Wrassler I think you are right. In fact I think they will be favored to win 197 also. I have been looking for wrestler development to reassure we have a chance next year but I have not seen much development at all and have not seen anyone jump levels. I would imagine most of that is on the wrestlers but some certainly on the coaches. We have to recruit higher rated and more driven wrestlers. Our development as I see it ( probably more negative than most). Picc some development but not enough, Brock no development from last year, Heil has regressed a lot, Lewallan looked much better at 41 last year than this year at 49, Blaylock has improved some and gets the most out of his abilities, Rogers has not progressed at all from last year(yes he is still exciting), Smith maybe has made a little progress but I was hoping for better than 12th in the country, Moore is a redshirt freshman who unbelievably has made no progress maybe he has regressed., Weigel has not made any progress from the end of last year but injuries could be part of that and then the shining star is White who likely has jumped a level in the move to HWT. Also Martinez has not made any progress in almost 2 years in Stillwater. We have to recruit higher rated and more driven wrestlers. Our coaching staff needs a through and honest evaluation. Maybe this has begun with the changes that have been made so far.
I'm not quite as bearish as some of you on next years prospects. Don't get me wrong. I think PSU will be the favorite and I definitely have some concerns, but disagree with some of what you're saying

How has Weigel not made any progress from last year? The only match he dropped he was hurt and was in control pretty much the whole match except for one dumb move. In his short time this year he's wrestled an insanely tough schedule, almost every guy in the top 10. Do you all realize that guy from Kent State that he completely blasted and tech'd in the first period beat Shakur Rasheed this year? The guy that may be PSU's starter at the NCAA tournament.

I think everyone sees White's development and is excited about that.

I think Piccinnini is better this year. The weight's just a lot tougher. The only guy that graduated was Gilman, then Suriano comes back healthy, Nato drops a weight, and Lee comes in. If you take those 3 out of the equation he's ranked exactly where he finished last year and has a win in a match that doesn't count against the defending champ.

Brock still sucks on bottom, but both his losses were because of big moves. He's still probably the best wrestler in the country on his feet and that includes Gross IMO. He's really probably the #2 guy at the weight. He's scoring a lot more points and getting more bonus this year than he did last year. That's not saying much because he pretty much scored none last year, but he's getting more.

Rogers is the most up and down wrestler on the planet, and has always been that. He could lose every match from here til the NCAA tournament and I'd still think he could either pin his way through and win a title or go 2 and out.

Boo seems to have regressed from where he was at the beginning of the year and Heil hasn't looked great either, but as you said Boo is undersized at 49. Also does nobody realize they lost their coach? On a lot of levels I think the move needed to be made, but Guerrero recruited Heil and was part of the reason he stayed when he almost quit a few years ago. Guerrero was the coach for those lower/mid weights and now he's gone. The guy that studied all their film, that watched them in practice every day, knew what made them tic, etc... Again from my understanding of some things leading up to that I don't think it's the worst thing that Guerrero is gone, but does it make sense that 2 guys around his size are struggling a bit? I would say so.

I thought Smith had some struggles early this season, but was wrestling well up until he was hurt in the Lewis match.

Moore has been a disappointment no doubt. Hopefully Marsden can do OK there or Wittlake make the jump to 84 next year.

With all of that, we all know Fix will be a star, but OSU will potentially be better at 141 next year than they are currently. Does no one realize Kaden Gfeller beat Nick Lee and his only losses were to Jack, Eierman, and Heil?
I still have no idea how the lineup will shake out next year, but in theory if you just plug in Kaden Gfeller at 141 he's maybe preseason #4 with all those Sr's clearing out.

Don't get me wrong PSU is really good, but I wouldn't jump off the ship just yet.

Also they aren't plugging in a guy at 149 that's some superstar. Verkleeren's not bad, but didn't even place at the Scuffle. Probably top 8 at the NCAA tournament at best. Their starter at 125 next year is maybe #6 at the weight in HS, so expecting him to come run through that gauntlet and do any more than win a few matches is a bit overzealous in my opinion. It's fair to say they'll be good at 33. Probably about like Lee is for them at 41 currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT