ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT HC

Sure hope we don’t lose out on some great portal transfer options due to drawing out naming a HC. Probably end up with CS anyway and lose out on some great transfer options in the meantime.
That’s my worry! But it can be sold to transfers that we are all in on winning too.

But yeah, let’s get on with it!

Reactions: AtownPoke
Stopped over tonight to see what you guys are saying about DT. David runs a working farm outside of State College, his family runs a food establishment in town, and he’s raking in HC level money with M2. He’s not going anywhere … not even to the great Okie State to be #2. Our community would hate to lose David, but, at some future date he’s gonna be a great college coach …… just like Smith (without prior head coach experience). You guys have a really great program and history. I’d speculate that very few Pokes would be upset if DT is hired. It’s just like when Cael came here to State College ….. every damn wrestling fan knew immediately that the good times were gonna roll!

He will need to dip his toe into coaching at some point if he really wants to be a high level HC.

The sport and landscape has changed.

If he does the above then yes he has the profile, pedigree and personality that points to the potential to be a very good HC.

You don’t think he’s going anywhere, but you also think he is going to be a great college coach?

So you expect him to take over for Cael? He’s gonna wait 10-15 years to be a HC?

My comments have nothing to do with him and us, just curious on where you see him being great if he won’t leave state college.
I just was trying to say he ain’t movin to Oklahoma to be a #2.

If you are a recruit/transfer looking at all of this and have to make a decision soon, how does this make you feel about coming to Ok State? Especially when you have the caliber wrestlers in the portal right now, who are considering Ok State. With that said, CS and the rest of the coaches do have the recruiting experience to bring these guys in.

Reactions: bwel9339
If you are a recruit/transfer looking at all of this and have to make a decision soon, how does this make you feel about coming to Ok State? Especially when you have the caliber wrestlers in the portal right now, who are considering Ok State. With that said, CS and the rest of the coaches do have the recruiting experience to bring these guys in.
For the transfers I would say it would delay their commitments, I would be more interested to see if DT is the pick how the portal looks. I’m guessing a lot of these wrestlers committed with the idea of CS being their coach.

I'm up for whatever decision is made. Excited for the future.

I just hope we do right by SC, whatever that looks like. He's one of our own and left a HC job to come here.

I'm not saying he should be HC, I just hope he doesn't end up regretting leaving UNC and has a position here that he is happy with and compensated fairly for his passion and loyalty.

Go Pokes

I'm up for whatever decision is made. Excited for the future.

I just hope we do right by SC, whatever that looks like. He's one of our own and left a HC job to come here.

I'm not saying he should be HC, I just hope he doesn't end up regretting leaving UNC and has a position here that he is happy with and compensated fairly for his passion and loyalty.

Go Pokes
He wants to be in Oklahoma

CS has no where close to the upside of DT imo but his floor could be higher. Im not sure why you’d ever want him over a guy that brings so much immediate cred but I do love CS.
Immediate cred is no guarantee for success. CS has shown to be a capable, if not an excellent coach. At UNC, he has shown that he can recruit and develop NCAA champions. DT has developed a some, Levi Haines being most notable, but I wouldn’t say his club has not been overwhelmingly successful. Askren’s academy’s have been very successful. DT has Cache’, I’ll give you that, but not much else.

I know this wouldn’t happen but rather see Coleman head Taylor assistant, keeps it in the family
If we’re serious enough to go get DT then we need to be serious enough to keep Coleman like Casey Cunningham.
Agreed. Coleman has shown both the ability to lead a program and the desire to live and work in Stillwater. Love the idea of bringing in a PSU stud but don’t want to gut the staff in order to do so. No idea how these negotiations go but having both on staff would be tremendous.

I know this wouldn’t happen but rather see Coleman head Taylor assistant, keeps it in the family
If DT is the guy, how many of our guys hit the portal? I could see some of them being upset that CS didn’t get the job.

If true I don’t like it, I would like to stay in the family with Coleman. It seems like we finally have some momentum going.
I get it about keeping it in the family and I’ll be happy with Coleman but where a guy went school doesn’t matter that much to me at this point. We’ve been stagnant and there aren’t a ton of elite candidates from inside the family. Coleman wouldn’t be able to sniff the Iowa or PSU job if they opened right now. DT would probably be the favorite for both. I’ll also add that I doubt Iowa or PSU regret hiring outside the family for guys like Gable and Cael.

Is the Taylor deal not to be the RTC head for big $? Surely this is some deal where both Coleman and DT would be here and happy.
In my uniformed opinion it’d take a really great situation to get him to take any HC job. I doubt he’d leave his life for a side gig

Last edited:
could be a situation where CS gets a raise to stay as well… if DT is the new HC. Would be a win/win in my book.

As far as anything else, it’s hard to NOT want guys from OSU on staff. Would be REALLY curious who’d want to come vs who we keep.

What Fix’s plan? No better coach honestly then someone who can get down and rolled with the smaller weights!

Reactions: AtownPoke
OK, what the freak is Askren talking about. Maybe he just wants to take shots at cowboy nation.
I’m not against Taylor being our HC, but DT’s dream job is most likely PSU. I would be afraid that OSU would be a stepping stone, if, and when, the PSU gig comes open.

Reactions: osufanatic4life
OK, what the freak is Askren talking about. Maybe he just wants to take shots at cowboy nation.
I’m not against Taylor being our HC, but DT’s dream job is most likely PSU. I would be afraid that OSU would be a stepping stone, if, and when, the PSU gig comes open.
That’s not gonna be for another 10-15 years. If he wants to coach college he’ll have to look elsewhere first.

You’re being a chicken.

• Haha
Reactions: tom_v31
No matter who gets hired, this AD did their job. You have to go after the best. Coleman is one of the best for the position, but if this AD did not go after someone like David Taylor, they would be doing the program an injustice. To fill the shoes of someone like John Smith, you must go after big names. David Taylor would be a great fit for this team. Anyone that says he would not, is way too old school and is not serious about catching up to Penn State. With that said, if Coleman Scott is the guy, he too is going to do an amazing job and is one of the best for the job. To be honest with all of you, I think some people are posting just to have fun with most of you and to get a reaction! haha Hopefully there is an announcement very soon so this thread can be put to bed!

one thing seems certain
with the time lapse between john retirement and hiring a new coach

coleman was not brought here under the pretense of head coach in waiting????

we wouldn’t do that right?

uproot an alum with a great head coaching job to come slap a bandaid on a program with a gash that required staples?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
one thing seems certain
with the time lapse between john retirement and hiring a new coach

coleman was not brought here under the pretense of head coach in waiting????

we wouldn’t do that right?

uproot an alum with a great head coaching job to come slap a bandaid on a program with a gash that required staples?
I think John pushed it and once John was out we did the right thing for the program and turned over every stone. That may not be what’s personally best for Coleman but it is what we have to do for a program like OSU wrestling imo. If Coleman is the guy then he wont have backed into it.

I remember when CS was hired it was discussed that he was not head coach in waiting. The idea was absolutely that he would have a leg up. Which assuming that he gets the job would indicate he did have a leg up. Didn’t mean it was his or they wouldn’t look around.

If he was still at UNC he would’ve been looked at but I’m not sure he would be the top candidate. With the progression we saw last year and with the support from current roster (CC), alumni (crutchmer), and possible ties to recruits (Jax), him being here did give him the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT