ADVERTISEMENT

New Wrestling Room II

Pacemaker5

Recruit
Nov 7, 2019
Tulsa
Ok, I didn't want to have to scroll to the bottom so another point or two.

I am available if the committee for the John Smith Wrestling Facility needs help.

I can still hear Jimmy Jackson laughing down below GIA when I came in as a freshman. I had asked him about the new pool that Chesbro had told me they were building for the wrestling team. If that old room could talk, what a tale it could tell.

I'm curious what some of you would put on your want/need/shoot for the moon list for the new facility?
There are some amazing facilities out there, but Ohio State would be the gold standard? Minnesota, Penn St, Rutgers, Iowa, there are a ton of great facilities, but the phrase complex probably describes what I would want.

John has kept up his end of the deal. 5 NCAA Team titles, countless individual champions and AA's. His coaching career alone has overlapped Dan Gable, Tom Brands, Bobby Douglass, J Rob, Rob Koll, Cael Sanderson, and many many more. He has proven to be one of the top 10 coaches of all time in our sport while coaching against, what will surely wind up being numbers, 1,2,5,7,8 coaches of all time. Not bad, not bad at all. For 40 years we have called him the greatest American wrestler of all time. I'm dying to hear what his fans think his wrestling complex should look like.

It would be fun to break in a new facility with a championship run.

Reactions: JAY45
Massage therapists, like pretty ones. Student/athletes only get rub downs for bonus point wins.

If done right, we will start a giant run!

Reactions: EvilPOKES
I'd love the option of dorm rooms specifically for the club residents. John always had people from out of the country traveling to learn from him and they would couch hop or stay in his upstairs bedroom. MMA's premier facility is the WinkleJohn academy in Albuquerque, and one thing that separates them is that they have lodging for their athletes that don't live there. That's also something the other facilities don't offer. Everyone has wrestling mats, weight rooms, media rooms, and all of those things that are "expected". If you want to bring in elite talent from around the world, let's give them a bed to sleep in and welcome them! Just a thought.

You're right, you win. No one said it. I'm light, you're heavy.

The OP starts a couple of threads on the same topic over the course of 2 weeks. You don't offer up any opinion on the subject. Don't address anyone directly either. Instead you take a veiled shot from the cheap seats.

I think I got that right. Must mean I'm still heavy.

I was watching the Ohio State Facility video on youtube earlier. You know, I'm not sure but what I would design something different. I had audio problems, but here are a few things that I think would be incredible.

Mat space: I'd like to see 4 mats. I want the room to be quiet. I don't want to fight our cardio and strength and training and basketball and all the other noises. I want the coaches to be able to communicate. There needs to be a complete wall mat safety design including a pony wall to let small audiences have a place to set or team meetings, etc, but that is off of the mat area. No hard surfaces to land on period. If we share with the rtc, we need a separate room possibly adjoining, but with it's own entrance and entry to the dressing room without cutting through.

Trophy case: When I was there we had the 28 championship banners on the wall for all to see. I was in the room 76 and 77 seasons.

Strength and cardio facility: I watched a Jordan Burroughs training video a few months ago. The best of the best aren't just slugging out bicep curls, but actually increasing their functional strength. Same with cardio. It's a science now, and heart rate and respiration monitoring and a subjective cardio system will need the top of the line equipment. Possibly a banked indoor track, but only if it can be done where it will not interrupt mat instruction.

Team Meeting room: Room for the wrestlers, trainers, managers, coaching staff to sit comfortably and a great AV set-up.

Tutorial room: Any sign of classroom issues and it becomes mandatory, but tutors available for any subject matter.

A place to hang out near by, so in between classes or before or after practice, you just want to be there. Maybe a good pool table, or healthy nutrition. A place for the guys to bond and have good clean entertainment.

AV Room: Complete with the latest technology and strategies for learning techniques, evaluating matches, however the coaches want to use it. Maybe 10 viewing stations with laptops, etc.

I know there are limitations on suana type facilities for wrestlers, so whatever can be done for faster recovery. Whirl pools, Sweedish Plunge (Ice Water)

OK, I know I wasn't very specific, but I'm just thinking in general for most of my ideas above.

Reactions: JAY45
I was watching the Ohio State Facility video on youtube earlier. You know, I'm not sure but what I would design something different. I had audio problems, but here are a few things that I think would be incredible.

Mat space: I'd like to see 4 mats. I want the room to be quiet. I don't want to fight our cardio and strength and training and basketball and all the other noises. I want the coaches to be able to communicate. There needs to be a complete wall mat safety design including a pony wall to let small audiences have a place to set or team meetings, etc, but that is off of the mat area. No hard surfaces to land on period. If we share with the rtc, we need a separate room possibly adjoining, but with it's own entrance and entry to the dressing room without cutting through.

Trophy case: When I was there we had the 28 championship banners on the wall for all to see. I was in the room 76 and 77 seasons.

Strength and cardio facility: I watched a Jordan Burroughs training video a few months ago. The best of the best aren't just slugging out bicep curls, but actually increasing their functional strength. Same with cardio. It's a science now, and heart rate and respiration monitoring and a subjective cardio system will need the top of the line equipment. Possibly a banked indoor track, but only if it can be done where it will not interrupt mat instruction.

Team Meeting room: Room for the wrestlers, trainers, managers, coaching staff to sit comfortably and a great AV set-up.

Tutorial room: Any sign of classroom issues and it becomes mandatory, but tutors available for any subject matter.

A place to hang out near by, so in between classes or before or after practice, you just want to be there. Maybe a good pool table, or healthy nutrition. A place for the guys to bond and have good clean entertainment.

AV Room: Complete with the latest technology and strategies for learning techniques, evaluating matches, however the coaches want to use it. Maybe 10 viewing stations with laptops, etc.

I know there are limitations on suana type facilities for wrestlers, so whatever can be done for faster recovery. Whirl pools, Sweedish Plunge (Ice Water)

OK, I know I wasn't very specific, but I'm just thinking in general for most of my ideas above.
I am excited about having the best facilities in the country. I have to believe we are recruiting to some degree on our plans. We have finally picked up our recruiting where we start early and we must have some very good recruiters who are working very hard and smart. I think our new recruits believe and want Penn. St. to fall and for the Cowboys to regain our place in college wrestling( Champions). We have some conflict but improving our RTC is important if we are to maintain this newfound recruiting level, develop our wrestlers to the highest level and retake wrestling back from Penn. St.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacemaker5
I am excited about having the best facilities in the country. I have to believe we are recruiting to some degree on our plans. We have finally picked up our recruiting where we start early and we must have some very good recruiters who are working very hard and smart. I think our new recruits believe and want Penn. St. to fall and for the Cowboys to regain our place in college wrestling( Champions). We have some conflict but improving our RTC is important if we are to maintain this newfound recruiting level, develop our wrestlers to the highest level and retake wrestling back from Penn. St.
Like is not strong enough. That's such great news. Consider me like minded. It has been a gift to have John for such an extended career. If he's able to bring back a run before he decides to hang up the whistle, that would be remarkable. When you consider he's already had to win his titles against, Gable, Sanderson, JRob, Zalesky, Brands, Douglass, Koll Popolizio, and many others. Minnesota actually surprised me a little. They are however proof that a legendary coach is really, really hard to replace. I like college wrestling more now than at any other time. It's more popular than it was the last time we won it. I can't wait to see our program regain the national accolades we've been missing. John can do it, but it's good to see others share my wish to be on an equal...or tilted our way playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT