ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

I watched Voinovich's matches at Lindenwood & the Scuffle. I think it's fair to say he's having a solid first year. Nothing spectacular, but very solid.

Looking beyond the record, he was ridden hard in his 2 losses against top 20 guys (G & Finesilver). Not surprising for a true freshman. I also think he had some problems with Finesilver's length and scrambling ability. I'm sure he knows finishing quickly & cleanly will be key. There's levels to this stuff. On the positive side, he gets to legs on just about everyone & he's tough on top. I expect we'll see steady improvement from him.

adding physical Strength does not equate to weight gain so unmute that point.

I am relaying information from someone close to the program. Vic has beat almost everyone in front of him (except the duke kid who beat him easy) but none of those guys were even in the top 35 he beat and most of those match scores were close.

anyways All I was implying was the expectation that myself and some close to the program had of him coming in and taking over 149 and being a super star has simmered. I like Vic and the coaches love him and with development and work ethic he may be a multi time all American. The good thing is time is on his side but the competition for 149-157 spots (which I’m sure he doesn’t care about) is a major hurdle he will have to get over.
We can agree to disagree on the 'adding strength' / adding weight.
As per Victor: I have been watching him since he was in 7th grade. Against quality wrestlers, he typically does not ever win by major, and most matches are close - in score. But, as per my previous post, he usually dictates the match and the close (box) score does not tell the story.

He wins matches in the same way that Vincenzo Jospeh did, and Luke Pletcher did (except Luke's senior year when he let it loose).... he is always in the right position, perfect technique, has impenetrable defense, and doesnt make any mistakes. (Just like Vincenzo did at Penn State and Luke did at Ohio State for years.) Think back on Vincenzo's career- can you recall a takedown he gave up via leg attack? I cant. Victor was the same in high school, and thus far this year during his redshirt year.

Last year, in the sectionals-districts-states he beat everyone by tech or pin, till the semifinals at state (when he went up against a kid now at Edinboro, then the St Eds kid in the finals) where he went back into the above formula of impenetrable defense/perfect technique and position and dictating the action.

When Victor loses, its usually by one of four means:
(a) the opponent was just on a different level than him. This has not been the case too often over his career.
(b) he has double boot in, and gives up a reversal. When this occurs, he usually ends up belly down and doesnt have time to get to base then get the escape, and then loses a 1 point match. This happened vs in high school vs Reyna, Herrara-Rondon, and Dover. Same issue each loss. He was riding with double boots, got reversed and ended up belly down on mat and just simply did not have the time to work to base, then work for escape and the 1 point swing (for the reversal, rather than if he would have just given up an escape/ or got reversed then he got escape) turned out to be the difference.
(c) got thrown at the end of a match, while holding a lead. This had happened twice in freestyle (Picklo and at Euros)
(d) the opponent is very long. Tall guys have given him fits - the first time they meet. Victor almost always wins the rematch tho.

Finesilver, this year, was a combination of (a) and (d). FS is a top 4 guy this year, and no shame in that loss. I didnt like the first stall call, which put Victor in a bind, when trying to ride (and subsequent 2nd stall call), but I am a bit biased.

As per (b) above, it will be fixed the more he works with Perry and masters the double boot ride.

We can agree to disagree on the 'adding strength' / adding weight.
As per Victor: I have been watching him since he was in 7th grade. Against quality wrestlers, he typically does not ever win by major, and most matches are close - in score. But, as per my previous post, he usually dictates the match and the close (box) score does not tell the story.

He wins matches in the same way that Vincenzo Jospeh did, and Luke Pletcher did (except Luke's senior year when he let it loose).... he is always in the right position, perfect technique, has impenetrable defense, and doesnt make any mistakes. (Just like Vincenzo did at Penn State and Luke did at Ohio State for years.) Think back on Vincenzo's career- can you recall a takedown he gave up via leg attack? I cant. Victor was the same in high school, and thus far this year during his redshirt year.

Last year, in the sectionals-districts-states he beat everyone by tech or pin, till the semifinals at state (when he went up against a kid now at Edinboro, then the St Eds kid in the finals) where he went back into the above formula of impenetrable defense/perfect technique and position and dictating the action.

When Victor loses, its usually by one of four means:
(a) the opponent was just on a different level than him. This has not been the case too often over his career.
(b) he has double boot in, and gives up a reversal. When this occurs, he usually ends up belly down and doesnt have time to get to base then get the escape, and then loses a 1 point match. This happened vs in high school vs Reyna, Herrara-Rondon, and Dover. Same issue each loss. He was riding with double boots, got reversed and ended up belly down on mat and just simply did not have the time to work to base, then work for escape and the 1 point swing (for the reversal, rather than if he would have just given up an escape/ or got reversed then he got escape) turned out to be the difference.
(c) got thrown at the end of a match, while holding a lead. This had happened twice in freestyle (Picklo and at Euros)
(d) the opponent is very long. Tall guys have given him fits - the first time they meet. Victor almost always wins the rematch tho.

Finesilver, this year, was a combination of (a) and (d). FS is a top 4 guy this year, and no shame in that loss. I didnt like the first stall call, which put Victor in a bind, when trying to ride (and subsequent 2nd stall call), but I am a bit biased.

As per (b) above, it will be fixed the more he works with Perry and masters the double boot ride.
I’ll take that defense all day long. That’s what makes AJ Ferrari almost unbeatable. Figure out a way to get 2-3 takedowns, get off of bottom, and have superior defense=nearly impossible to beat. Wrestling a lot of close matches and missing one of those 3 items and you will lose to people you should beat.

Reactions: JAY45
Stillwater showing out at the Jay Hancock with 6 champs so far. Sam Smith over Hollingsworth, Sommer over Routledge, Lockett over Brooks (up from 138) & Angelo Ferrari over Acklin again in another close match.

Voinovich & Anthony Ferrari didn't wrestle.

Reactions: JAY45
Any Shawn Shreck being the 285 answer speculation can officially end, he had two pins this weekend for UCO.

Jordan Williams had a short interview with Seth. Said he expects to be a 157/165 in college and hopes to start next year. Also said he got bigger since last season, but it wasn't from lifting. A college S&C program will probably be really good for him.

Jordan Williams had a short interview with Seth. Said he expects to be a 157/165 in college and hopes to start next year. Also said he got bigger since last season, but it wasn't from lifting. A college S&C program will probably be really good for him.
I wonder if they’ll play around with redshirts for him and Anthony Ferrari? There’s a way where you can start Williams, Ferrari and Wittlake without anyone having to ride the bench for a year. Basically you just alternate redshirts for JW and AF and then Wittlake will have graduated by the time they’ve both redshirted.

Where’d you see the interview?

It's on Rokfin under the Oklahoma Wrestle channel. He's got several 2-3 minute interview clips.
I keep googling John Smith talks to the media which gives me access to many of these videos but hardly ever the latest. Any one know a better way to get the latest video. Thanks

I keep googling John Smith talks to the media which gives me access to many of these videos but hardly ever the latest. Any one know a better way to get the latest video. Thanks
Are you asking about John's weekly presser? That's normally on Wed and Pistols Firing usually puts it up on YouTube on Thu (not there yet). And there's also John's radio show on Mon @ 5 PM.

Are you asking about John's weekly presser? That's normally on Wed and Pistols Firing usually puts it up on YouTube on Thu (not there yet). And there's also John's radio show on Mon @ 5 PM.
I meant his Wednesday with media video. I live too far away to get the radio show. His meet with the media I have found it hard to get the latest ones. You would think the Ocolly would put them under wrestling but sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. So pistol firing you tube is the best way? Wrassler you do get lots of information and I appreciate you posting it.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I meant his Wednesday with media video. I live too far away to get the radio show. His meet with the media I have found it hard to get the latest ones. You would think the Ocolly would put them under wrestling but sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. So pistol firing you tube is the best way? Wrassler you do get lots of information and I appreciate you posting it.
probably can get the radio show over the internet on KSPI

I usually check PF on youtube for the Wed presser. There might be a better source, I'm not sure.

For the radio show I use this, as CowboyUp61 said. OHkie posted this a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
OSU Max has video of the radio show weekly

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Somebody said Demas from ou is transferring. Is he even any good anymore?
Demas is solid, he’s kinda one dimensional with technique. If you watched him once you’ve watched him 100 times. Really good inside trip. He’s tough to takedown and holds position well. I’m sure he’ll find a home somewhere. He has good size for 141 but he’s been wrestling at 149 this season.

Somebody said Demas from ou is transferring. Is he even any good anymore?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dangerous Dom Demas is in the transfer portal. Check out all the recent moves in this Saturday morning Transfer Tracker update.<a href="https://t.co/ccKyJcIr6f">https://t.co/ccKyJcIr6f</a></p>&mdash; FloWrestling (@FloWrestling) <a href="">February 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You can definitely get the radio show. Go to Stillwater radio.com and you can get all of the Stillwater stations on the internet and you can get the call of the matches on these same radio stations.

You can definitely get the radio show. Go to Stillwater radio.com and you can get all of the Stillwater stations on the internet and you can get the call of the matches on these same radio stations.
You can also download the KSPI app on your phone and listen.

If he places at state, or has been on Team Oklahoma, he is training in Stillwater with the club for free. The coaches can't technically, legally recruit or offer a kid until after his sophomore season.
His dad coaches football for Stillwater High School. As you can probably guess by looking at him, he also excels at football so wrestling isn't necessarily his future.

His dad coaches football for Stillwater High School. As you can probably guess by looking at him, he also excels at football so wrestling isn't necessarily his future.
His dad coaches at Stillwater, but he goes to Blackwell? I'm asking, because I really don't know.

OK dual state starts tomorrow and I believe Flo is streaming.

Also, I noticed a couple of days ago that the Trackwrestling archives are now available to Flo subscribers. Not sure how long that's been the case, but that's pretty cool.

Reactions: DPJ and turfpoke
OK dual state starts tomorrow and I believe Flo is streaming.

Also, I noticed a couple of days ago that the Trackwrestling archives are now available to Flo subscribers. Not sure how long that's been the case, but that's pretty cool.
A bunch of future Cowboys should be in that. I saw that on Flo and plan watching some of it. You always got good information Wrassler and post good videos also.

Reactions: Wrassler17
A bunch of future Cowboys should be in that. I saw that on Flo and plan watching some of it. You always got good information Wrassler and post good videos also.
The 6A dual tournament is about to start at the Oklahoma State Tournament. Most of the guys committed to us or prospects are at the 6A. The 6A is the last quarterfinal of the day.

The 6A dual tournament is about to start at the Oklahoma State Tournament. Most of the guys committed to us or prospects are at the 6A. The 6A is the last quarterfinal of the day.
So far Blankenship a major over Roop the 3rd rated 132 in the State , looked very good. Lockett 1st period pin a destroyer. Voinovich won by tech, dominant. 160 Angelo won by 1 st period pin, outstanding. It appears Anthony is not wrestling, wish he was. McComas won by pin and so did Roller.

Last edited:
So far Blankenship a major over Roop the 3rd rated 132 in the State , looked very good. Lockett 1st period pin a destroyer. Voinovich won by tech, dominant. 160 Angelo won by 1 st period pin, outstanding. It appears Anthony is not wrestling, wish he was. McComas won by pin and so did Roller.
Are the semis tonight or tomorrow?

The schedule says semi's eastern time 1:00 3A and 5A, 3:00 4A and 6A. All class finals at 7:30 eastern time. So semi's start at 12 noon, finals at 6: 30 our time if I know my time zones.
Jersey Robb a verbal commitment for 2023 won by pin. Crap, Stillwater forfeited 120 and 126 so did not see Hughes or Sam Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT