ADVERTISEMENT

New Lineup Clue: Surber

Some more certs, very unusual to see this many a month and a half before preseason starts...

Sheets weighed between 174.1-184, so he is on track to bump to 65.
Fix weighed between 133.1-141, same as Trevor Mastro. Very interesting that Daton is within 8 lbs of his competition weight this early. Makes you wonder if 125 is a possibility.

Reactions: vhsalum and JAY45
I’d love to see Daton go at 125.
Historically, he’s fared well against Lee.
Think folk-style favors him vs Vito

Reactions: osu2082
Makes more sense than him going 141 as the Flo guys speculated earlier this summer.

Also would be just as great a challenge as staying at 133. Daton isn't backing down from RBY or Spencer Lee. That's for sure. He wants those matchups.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Some more certs, very unusual to see this many a month and a half before preseason starts...

Sheets weighed between 174.1-184, so he is on track to bump to 65.
Fix weighed between 133.1-141, same as Trevor Mastro. Very interesting that Daton is within 8 lbs of his competition weight this early. Makes you wonder if 125 is a possibility.
Why’s it unusual? Just curious, don’t know much about the cert process.

maybe Daton goes 125 and mastro goes 133? That’d be an interesting switch.

I need to hear a good reason for why Fix would drop to 125? This isn’t a Olympic year so the move doesn't make any sense. I’ve had my concerns for Mastro being able to hold 125, but with Fix having 2 more years of eligibility I think Mastro will have to likely redshirt next year if he can’t hold the weight. Fix and Mastro swapping doesn’t move the needle much.

Reactions: leecothran
I need to hear a good reason for why Fix would drop to 125? This isn’t a Olympic year so the move doesn't make any sense. I’ve had my concerns for Mastro being able to hold 125, but with Fix having 2 more years of eligibility I think Mastro will have to likely redshirt next year if he can’t hold the weight. Fix and Mastro swapping doesn’t move the needle much.

I don’t know how likely it is but maybe he feels he needs to be wrestling more matches at his Olympic weight in the lead up to qualifying?

Reactions: JAY45
I've posted about Daton's weight in the past and some people got worked up over it. I have no idea if he goes 133 or 125, but here's how I see things as an outsider. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision. But two things have changed over the past few months.

The first is that our window to win a team title in 2023 or 2024 has basically closed. I know some won't like hearing that, but we're down 20+ points without AJ and probably another 10+ points without Anthony. Sucks, but that's the reality. So Daton needs to do what's best for himself in terms of making the 2024 Olympic team. And if he medals at the Olympics, it will help recruiting more than winning an individual NCAA title.

The second change is Daton losing to Gross at Final X. Had he made the World Team this year, he was a virtual lock to medal again. That would have put him back in the Final X final @ 61 KG in 2023. So going 133 this year would have made a lot of sense. Now he's got options.

Another thing, with us no longer being a serious contender in 2024, Daton might choose to move on after this year. He could join the CWC and make some $ while training freestyle full-time. Mastro & Blankenship could then go 125/133 in some order.

I've posted about Daton's weight in the past and some people got worked up over it. I have no idea if he goes 133 or 125, but here's how I see things as an outsider. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision. But two things have changed over the past few months.

The first is that our window to win a team title in 2023 or 2024 has basically closed. I know some won't like hearing that, but we're down 20+ points without AJ and probably another 10+ points without Anthony. Sucks, but that's the reality. So Daton needs to do what's best for himself in terms of making the 2024 Olympic team. And if he medals at the Olympics, it will help recruiting more than winning an individual NCAA title.

The second change is Daton losing to Gross at Final X. Had he made the World Team this year, he was a virtual lock to medal again. That would have put him back in the Final X final @ 61 KG in 2023. So going 133 this year would have made a lot of sense. Now he's got options.

Another thing, with us no longer being a serious contender in 2024, Daton might choose to move on after this year. He could join the CWC and make some $ while training freestyle full-time. Mastro & Blankenship could then go 125/133 in some order.
Daton can also make some $$$ with the NIL stuff.... while still wrestling in college.

Reactions: vhsalum

Good thoughts. My only disagreement is what will help in recruiting. I think it’s absolutely vital Daton wins a NC here and not doing so could do more damage than medaling at the Olympics would help.

We need to show we can cultivate and develop top tier talent into multiple time NC’s IMO.

Good thoughts. My only disagreement is what will help in recruiting. I think it’s absolutely vital Daton wins a NC here and not doing so could do more damage than medaling at the Olympics would help.

We need to show we can cultivate and develop top tier talent into multiple time NC’s IMO.
I think we’ve already proven that.

A question for all, are Daton's chances of winning a NC better at 125 or 133? Basically saying who does Daton matchup better with, RBY or Lee? He hasn't wrestled Lee in years and we all know how the matchups with RBY have looked.

I absolutely think that Daton winning a NC is a very important for our recruiting moving forward, especially if he plans to continue his FS career with the Cowboy RTC. Having a NC to work out with in the room is the type of things that get recruits excited and its what we talk about on here with PSU RTC and how they are able to develop guys with elite workout partners. I'm not taking anything away from Fix as a wrestler or what he could offer if he doesn't win a NC. I'm just saying being a 4 or 5x runner up just doesn't sound as sexy as being just a 1X national champ IMO.

A question for all, are Daton's chances of winning a NC better at 125 or 133? Basically saying who does Daton matchup better with, RBY or Lee? He hasn't wrestled Lee in years and we all know how the matchups with RBY have looked.

I absolutely think that Daton winning a NC is a very important for our recruiting moving forward, especially if he plans to continue his FS career with the Cowboy RTC. Having a NC to work out with in the room is the type of things that get recruits excited and its what we talk about on here with PSU RTC and how they are able to develop guys with elite workout partners. I'm not taking anything away from Fix as a wrestler or what he could offer if he doesn't win a NC. I'm just saying being a 4 or 5x runner up just doesn't sound as sexy as being just a 1X national champ IMO.

At this point you have to say he matches up better with Lee. Returning with 2 repaired knees.

I just don't see how he could make 125 all season and be worth much come season's end.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
At this point you have to say he matches up better with Lee. Returning with 2 repaired knees.

I just don't see how he could make 125 all season and be worth much come season's end.

I agree and think if he went 125, it would likely mean he wrestles fewer matches.

Reactions: vhsalum
Daton can also make some $$$ with the NIL stuff.... while still wrestling in college.
That's true, but RTC athletes also have sponsors. So the RTC salary would be in addition to the endorsements.
My only disagreement is what will help in recruiting. I think it’s absolutely vital Daton wins a NC here and not doing so could do more damage than medaling at the Olympics would help.
I would say the vast majority of top 10 PFP recruits - the guys winning Fargo & making Cadet teams - put winning the Olympics above everything. Couple of examples, in 2014 the top 2 recruits were Kyle Snyder & Chance Marsteller. HS phenoms. Snyder verballed to OhioSt in January 2013. At the time, Jaggers was a 2xer and Stieber was in the process of becoming a 4xer. When Snyder committed, he said the reason was because he wanted to win the Olympics and he could train with Tervel & Bergman at their RTC. Marsteller flipped from PSU to OSU in November 2013. He said the clincher for him was when John told him OSU had put an athlete or coach on every Olympic team for the last 100 years.

Online roster was updated. Blankenship listed @ 25, Williams @ 57. Also a few walk-ons listed.

I guess its?

125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133 - Daton Fix
141 - Carter Young
149 - Victor Voinovich
157 - Wyatt Sheets
165 - Travis Wittlake
174 - Dustin Plott
184 - Kyle Hass
197 - Luke Surber
285 - Konner Doucet

so somewhere between 2 and 6 AAs?

On a related note. I visited the Mastrogiovanni zoo near Perkins Sunday. Pretty cool place & the family is pouring lots of money into it. You Stillwater folks should visit.

On a related note. I visited the Mastrogiovanni zoo near Perkins Sunday. Pretty cool place & the family is pouring lots of money into it. You Stillwater folks should visit.
Just looked it up, they bought Lost Creek Safari! that's awesome, pretty cool place, glad to hear they are improving it.

Reactions: thosick and driad
Just looked it up, they bought Lost Creek Safari! that's awesome, pretty cool place, glad to hear they are improving it.
Yes, I guess the family is very wealthy. We did a private tour Sunday, my daughter got to hold & pet some exotic animals including a baby kangaroo. The animals are as well cared for as any zoo we've been to (that is a bunch of zoos) very very clean, no flies. Hope it makes it because it is nice with great financial backing, Sorry for derailing this thread,

I guess its?

125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133 - Daton Fix
141 - Carter Young
149 - Victor Voinovich
157 - Wyatt Sheets
165 - Travis Wittlake
174 - Dustin Plott
184 - Kyle Hass
197 - Luke Surber
285 - Konner Doucet

That would probably be the strongest from a team scoring standpoint, but I have no idea how the lineup will shake out.

Here's another possible curve...Gfeller is listed on the Trackwrestling roster. He wasn't on it 2 weeks ago.

• Wow
Reactions: OHkie and vhsalum
I guess its?

125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni - low AA
133 - Daton Fix - CHAMP
141 - Carter Young - low AA
149 - Victor Voinovich - low AA
157 - Wyatt Sheets - mid AA
165 - Travis Wittlake - mid AA
174 - Dustin Plott - mid AA
184 - Kyle Hass - high AA
197 - Luke Surber - low AA
285 - Konner Doucet - low AA

How I see it! That is 10 AA's with two finalist and one champ. We still get runner-up.

I was kind of excited to see Wittlake at 184. With our record of bumping guys down instead of up, I was curious to see how he'd do going the other way. Still am curious, I guess we'll see close to the season.

That would probably be the strongest from a team scoring standpoint, but I have no idea how the lineup will shake out.

Here's another possible curve...Gfeller is listed on the Trackwrestling roster. He wasn't on it 2 weeks ago.
Good call. Gfeller now added on the OSU roster.

Reactions: Wrassler17

I was curious how long it would take before it made it to the message boards.

I'm anxious to see how hard we cut weight this year or if this is one of the changes that Coach Smith said that he would make. It has been disappointing over the years to watch us hit the mat with wrestlers who are dried out in their muscle shape and who run out of gas in the second period.

I
I'm anxious to see how hard we cut weight this year or if this is one of the changes that Coach Smith said that he would make. It has been disappointing over the years to watch us hit the mat with wrestlers who are dried out in their muscle shape and who run out of gas in the second period.
a lot of times it has to do with what it takes for someone to make the team. Chance was a prime example. No way he beats Ringer-his other option is to sit on the bench for 2 years, so he decided to make the cut (or try to).

Seems to solidify some more question marks…

125: Trevor Mastro
133: Fix
141: Carter
149: Voinovich
157: Gfeller
165: Sheets
174: Plott
184: Haas/Wittlake
197: Surber
285: Doucet

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT