ADVERTISEMENT

New Lineup Clue: Surber

Best move IMHO.

When both were Freshmen, Surber pushed the former 197 as much as anyone that year in the Orange Black Ranking Match.

Allows you to get Doucet in there as well.

Best move IMHO.

When both were Freshmen, Surber pushed the former 197 as much as anyone that year in the Orange Black Ranking Match.

Allows you to get Doucet in there as well.

Yea and Surber just couldn’t put on the needed weight. He will be back down in no time.

Surber has a much easier path to AA at 197 than he does at heavy in my opinion. Let's hope Doucet can challenge for one at heavy.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Where does that leave Wittlake & Haas - at 165 & 184? That would probably be our strongest lineup.

If Haas can't make 184, he could also challenge Doucet at heavy.

Where does that leave Wittlake & Haas - at 165 & 184? That would probably be our strongest lineup.

If Haas can't make 184, he could also challenge Doucet at heavy.
I thought Wittlake was going 184 and sheets was going 165?

Got to remember that Wittlake only has one knee. Haven't heard if he had surgery or if he's going to tough it out. If he's expected to wrestle in the fall, he skipped the surgery with the 12 month recovery. If he's not expected to wrestle in the fall, we probably see Haas at 184... at least until Wittlake is healthy, if he is moving up to 184.

Pretty much the whole thing depends on what Wittlake does. If he wrestles and goes 165, Sheets will go back down to 157 and Haas will most likely go at 184.

I personally think that Doucet is going to be pretty good at heavyweight. Some of these heavyweights take some time to develop. Lucas Davison at Northwestern is a good example... he won a junior world silver medal at 92kg in 2019... didn't really do much at the NCAA tournament until last year, his fourth year in the program at Northwestern. It's pretty rare for a guy to come in and immediately be a good heavyweight. Doucet has been in the room for three years. Hasn't done too much on the freestyle scene, sure, but that isn't an automatic disqualification on him being good at folkstyle. Think it's wise to reserve judgement until we've seen him go.

If this is our lineup... it's not too bad when you consider those precious recruiting rankings. Remember that if a guy is ranked in the top 40 of the recruiting class, it typically means they're top 3 in their respective weight class.

125 - Trevor Mastro (#13 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
133 - Daton Fix (#1 on Flo)
141 - Carter Young (#19 on Flo, #11 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Victor Voinovich (#12 on Flo, #15 on MatScouts... #1 redshirt season according to Flo)
149 / 157 - Jordan Williams (#12 on Flo, #10 on MatScouts)
149 / 157 - Travis Mastro (#39 on Flo, #21 on MatScouts)
165 - Wyatt Sheets (#52 on Flo)
174 - Dustin Plott (#11 on Flo, #2 on MatScouts)
184 - Travis Wittlake (#6 on Flo)
184 / 197 - Kyle Haas (#18 on Flo, #37 on MatScouts)
197 - Luke Surber (#28 on Flo, #43 on MatScouts)
285 - Konner Doucet (#78 on Flo, #110 on MatScouts)

So Doucet and Sheets will be the only two outside the top 30 in their recruiting classes?

Pretty good... regardless of who you ask. Can't really deny the talent. Some things need to shake out and they need to stay healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I thought Wittlake was going 184 and sheets was going 165?
Yep, that's what Intermat had, but it looks like things are still being decided. Based on Lee's post, seems like there are some unknowns.

I don't get why Wittlake didn't have surgery if it was necessary. I've seen some guys elect to not get a 2nd ACL surgery, but not a first.

Reactions: DPJ
I’ve heard the rumors. Sheets is big and would like to go up. Wittlake wants to go up. Plott told me on the podcast that Haas has gotten really big.

Truth is that nobody really knows how it will shake out until they get in there and rank. The coaches have said they have an idea but they don’t really know until that happens either.

So will be interesting to see where Haas fits in, can he take Surber or Wittlake?

So will be interesting to see where Haas fits in, can he take Surber or Wittlake?

Witlake is very likely out the first few months of the season. If Haas can get to and hold 184, the question might be can Witlake take Haas?

Reactions: JAY45
Was 165 really a tough cut for Wittlake? I didn't realize how big he was if he is really tipping the scale at 200 lbs. If Surber is going down to 197 doesn't that indicate that the coaches believe Haas can get to and hold 184? If it was in question then why move Surber down from HWT when Haas could wrestle at 197, especially if Wittlake was wanting to bump up to 184. Maybe they believe 184 is the weight Haas can have the most success at. Or does it say more about Surber not being able to compete at a high level at HWT with his size?

I really like Surber's competitiveness and grit, but if the rumors are true about Haas and Wittlake bumping up then I really don't see any place for him in the lineup except HWT. It will be interesting how it all unfolds in the room once Wittlake gets healthy.

Haas wrestled 182 as a HS soph and it was reportedly a pretty hard cut. After that season, he went 195, then 92 KG, then 220. Personally, I'd like to see him commit now to going heavy. Doucet is bigger and has some talent, but Haas is much more aggressive/offensive. Then have Stika go 184 if Wittlake isn't ready.

Haas wrestled 182 as a HS soph and it was reportedly a pretty hard cut. After that season, he went 195, then 92 KG, then 220. Personally, I'd like to see him commit now to going heavy. Doucet is bigger and has some talent, but Haas is much more aggressive/offensive. Then have Stika go 184 if Wittlake isn't ready.

Haas is a pretty physically mature kid and after a year in a college S&C program wrestled at 184 here during his RS season. I think it’s likely 184 is the correct weight for him.

Don’t see who they would force that cut on him for open tournaments if not.

Haas is a pretty physically mature kid and after a year in a college S&C program wrestled at 184 here during his RS season. I think it’s likely 184 is the correct weight for him.

Don’t see who they would force that cut on him for open tournaments if not.
Could be. But AJ had 197 locked down when Haas wrestled 184 last November. That forced Surber up and Haas down.

I just hope the plan isn't to have Wittlake & Haas rank for 184 in December. Then it will be very late for one of them to change weights.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Could be. But AJ had 197 locked down when Haas wrestled 184 last November. That forced Surber up and Haas down.

I just hope the plan isn't to have Wittlake & Haas rank for 184 in December. Then it will be very late for one of them to change weights.

Haas wrestling 184 in his RS year likely had nothing to do with AJ. Both 84 and 97 were solidified. He likely went 184 because it’s the weight he was comfortable with and wants to compete at. No reason to make that cut if not.

Haas wrestling 184 in his RS year likely had nothing to do with AJ. Both 84 and 97 were solidified. He likely went 184 because it’s the weight he was comfortable with and wants to compete at. No reason to make that cut if not.
Haas wrestled both 184 & 197 during his redshirt year. He was at 184 in November and at 197 in January. Then in June he went 92 KG rather than 86 KG for freestyle. He might end up at 184 this year, but he hasn't made 184 on 1 hour weigh-ins in 3 1/2 years.

I think at this point in the season, the only thing we know for certain is that Plott will be at 174. You could make a case for either Witlake or Haas at 184 and IMHO if Witlake is healthy he will be the 184. Haas may have gotten bigger but we might forget that Witlake came to OSU as either a 184 or 197 pounder. It might come down to who can hold the weight better and who is the technically better wrestler and in that case because Witlake(when healthy) is good in all three positions and Haas has yet to show me that attribute. Surber will do fine at 197. I know all this because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last year and that is my only real qualification.

Last edited:
Haas wrestled both 184 & 197 during his redshirt year. He was at 184 in November and at 197 in January. Then in June he went 92 KG rather than 86 KG for freestyle. He might end up at 184 this year, but he hasn't made 184 on 1 hour weigh-ins in 3 1/2 years.

9 of his 12 matches were at 184. He wasn’t beating out AJ and so I would be shocked if he and the staff hadn’t been prepping him for 184 this season.

AJ’s dismissal and Witlake weight change could alter those plans but almost all signs have pointed to 184 for Haas to this point.

I think at this point in the season, the only thing we know for certain is that Plott will be at 174. You could make a case for either Witlake or Haas at 184 and IMHO if Witlake is healthy he will be the 184. Haas may have gotten bigger but we might forget that Witlake came to OSU as either a 184 or 197 pounder. It might come down to who can hold the weight better and who is the technically better wrestler and in that case because Witlake(when healthy) is good in all three positions and Haas has yet to show me that attribute. Surber will do fine at 197. I know all this because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last year and that is my only real qualification.
I ran with you enough to know you are a Motel 6 kind of guy. Can't trust a guy lying about going to a Inn when a Motel fits his pocketbook.

From the take it FWIW...

- OSU wrestling tweeted a workout video yesterday. Wittlake looks pretty big. And Haas looks pretty lean now, smaller than he did when he wrestled @ 92 KG / 203 lbs in June. With Surber dropping to 197, Haas could be going down, rather than up.

- Younger Mastro no longer has OSU listed on his Instagram bio. Maybe moving on? With Anthony Ferrari, Boone & Balmeceda gone, a potential 149-157 logjam could be over.

When we were running together it is well known that I had lowered my standards to a great degree. But now that you won't write,call or email my standards have risen to even greater heights and I might even stay at a Marriot.

When we were running together it is well known that I had lowered my standards to a great degree. But now that you won't write,call or email my standards have risen to even greater heights and I might even stay at a Marriot.
Don't believe it. Word on the street is O and a friend already have a room reserved nearby (ok 45 min out) for the NCAA tourney. ;)
2560530.jpg

From the take it FWIW...

- OSU wrestling tweeted a workout video yesterday. Wittlake looks pretty big. And Haas looks pretty lean now, smaller than he did when he wrestled @ 92 KG / 203 lbs in June. With Surber dropping to 197, Haas could be going down, rather than up.

- Younger Mastro no longer has OSU listed on his Instagram bio. Maybe moving on? With Anthony Ferrari, Boone & Balmeceda gone, a potential 149-157 logjam could be over.
My question is when Wittlake gets healthy and if the coaches allow for ranking matches at 184 what happens in either scenario? Haas loses and bumps up to 197?, Wittlake loses and cuts 20 lbs to 165? Either way somebody is going to be left out and my guess it would be Surber. Unless Wittlake just cant make the cut I personally feel like Wittlake at 165 is our best lineup moving forward.

I noticed that Travis Mastro hasn't been in Stillwater much this summer. Looks like he's spent the majority of his summer down in Florida. Not sure if anyone has some insight to this they could share.

My question is when Wittlake gets healthy and if the coaches allow for ranking matches at 184 what happens in either scenario? Haas loses and bumps up to 197?, Wittlake loses and cuts 20 lbs to 165? Either way somebody is going to be left out and my guess it would be Surber. Unless Wittlake just cant make the cut I personally feel like Wittlake at 165 is our best lineup moving forward.
Are you seriously saying a kid should cut 10% body weight and if can't make the lineup just cut another 10+%, why not just go to 149? ;_;

I noticed that Travis Mastro hasn't been in Stillwater much this summer. Looks like he's spent the majority of his summer down in Florida. Not sure if anyone has some insight to this they could share.
Wittlake would have to certify @ 165 in order to drop after a ranking match. That could be an issue if he's as big as everyone says. Haas could go up and challenge Surber, but it would probably be too late for either of them to add size for heavy. That's why I think Haas should commit to heavy now. Then there would be a plan in place for Sheets, Wittlake, Surber & Haas.

Travis Mastro is listed in the online directory, but I don't know what's been going on with him

Wittlake would have to certify @ 165 in order to drop after a ranking match. That could be an issue if he's as big as everyone says. Haas could go up and challenge Surber, but it would probably be too late for either of them to add size for heavy. That's why I think Haas should commit to heavy now. Then there would be a plan in place for Sheets, Wittlake, Surber & Haas.

Travis Mastro is listed in the online directory, but I don't know what's been going on with him
He is listed on the roster (Travis). I agree that Travis at 165 gives us our best lineup, but sometimes we don't get what we wish for.

He is listed on the roster (Travis). I agree that Travis at 165 gives us our best lineup, but sometimes we don't get what we wish for.
The Trackwrestling roster was updated the other day and Travis Mastro is listed there as well. Jordan Williams is also listed even though he isn't listed on the online roster yet.

Trevor Mastro is already certified, super early.

Roster on Okstate.com is not updated yet… with one notable exception.

Also something to take into account is that Surber has a redshirt.

I was at the Mastros zoo last week and saw Trevor and a dude that definitely looked like it could have been his brother. Complete speculation, feel free to spin

Also curious about Wittlakes health status. If he needed surgery but hasn’t gotten it yet maybe he won’t even compete this season. Wouldn’t want to lose him, Surber, or Haas to the transfer portal at this point.

Some more certifications...

Wittlake & Plott certified weighing in between 184.1 - 197.
Haas & Surber certified weighing in over 197.

Don't think that tells us much weight wise.

What does that mean for cuts? Is there an amount they can cut based on their certified weight?

125 Trevor 133 Fix 141 Young 149 Voinovich 157 Travis 165 Sheets 174 Plott 184 Wittlake 197 Surber/ Haas HWT Doucet is my early guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT