ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

Just saw that from Duckworth. Admittedly not that knowledgeable about wrestler recruiting, is this big time?

Reactions: tom_v31
That's quite the haul at 285 with he and Carroll. So how do they fit together? RS Merrill and then challenge Carroll as a RS Frosh when Carroll is either a RS Soph or Jr?

That's quite the haul at 285 with he and Carroll. So how do they fit together? RS Merrill and then challenge Carroll as a RS Frosh when Carroll is either a RS Soph or Jr?
197 is the plan. Im not so sure he can hold that weight for his career. He was over 240 a year ago

197 is the plan. Im not so sure he can hold that weight for his career. He was over 240 a year ago
10-4. I was going by the tweet Lee posted which had him listed as 285 (realize that's not official). Looked he was wrestling 220 lbs at Fargo....

FWIW, I think Merrill will probably be fine going 197. He weighed in at 238.7 in January for the Five Counties. Clearly wasn't "good weight" because he made 220 just 3 weeks later. Gfeller said he was at 200 last summer and he made 157 easy (certified at 149).

Another comp I've used before...
Sammy Colbray won Fargo at 220 (came down from 226). He wrestled 2 years at 184 and 1 year at 174 for ISU.

FWIW, I think Merrill will probably be fine going 197. He weighed in at 238.7 in January for the Five Counties. Clearly wasn't "good weight" because he made 220 just 3 weeks later. Gfeller said he was at 200 last summer and he made 157 easy (certified at 149).

Another comp I've used before...
Sammy Colbray won Fargo at 220 (came down from 226). He wrestled 2 years at 184 and 1 year at 174 for ISU.
Get them off that self feeder.

Well if you're the type that believes that you need to be a top 20 recruit to win a national title (and the data backs this up).

Recruiting has been great since the 2020 class but Lee we now need the development which hopefully is brought about by the changes you wrote about in another thread recently. 2020 was a great class that turned out okay. 2021 was a very good class that turned out less than okay. The 2022 class does not look promising so far but hopefully Williams has jumped levels this year. I really like the class of 2023 and now really like the 2024 class with Merrill committing (he needs to be a 197 and should be okay because at 220 he looks like he is carrying extra weight) but we need to show results and progress.

Last edited:
Recruiting has been great since the 2020 class but Lee we now need the development which hopefully is brought about by the changes you wrote about in another thread recently. 2020 was a great class that turned out okay. 2021 was a very good class that turned out less than okay. The 2022 class does not look promising so far but hopefully Williams has jumped levels this year. I really like the class of 2023 and now really like the 2024 class with Merrill committing (he needs to be a 197 and should be okay because at 220 he looks like he is carrying extra weight) but we need to show results and progress.

100% agree. Getting them on campus is probably the hardest part... just need to keep their heads straight and help them realize their potential.

I have faith in Williams and think that a redshirt year for Carter Young will be a great thing for him. Also have a very high expectation of both Spratley and Jamison.

We'll just have to see. I'm going to keep thinking and speaking positive. I know a lot of folks don't like that, but it's how it's going to be from me. It's ok if you don't listen or like it. Doesn't hurt my feelings.

Dane Pestano wrestled 220 as a HS senior.

At ISU he went 197->197->184->165->184

Skipped over 174 on the way down and then on the way up.

I checked his Wrestlestat record - he lost to both J'den Cox & Anthony Valencia in college. Can't be many guys who wrestled both.

Dane Pestano wrestled 220 as a HS senior.

At ISU he went 197->197->184->165->184

Skipped over 174 on the way down and then on the way up.

I checked his Wrestlestat record - he lost to both J'den Cox & Anthony Valencia in college. Can't be many guys who wrestled both.
This can’t be true. OSU is the only program that ever has their wrestlers cut according to Iowa fans. Lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT