ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix, Marvel's Jessica Jones

TheRedSon

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
Waco, TX
I'm six episodes in, and really enjoying it.

Is anyone else watching?

It's dark, and it's not good viewing for children. It fits in with Dare Devil well though (they will cross over eventually anyway after the Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows).

The production value is just as good as Dare Devil... Perhaps better because I think the cast is better (the complete cast anyway, DD has strong acting as well) and has better chemistry.

David Tennant is straight creepy...

We've been enjoying the heck out of it. I'm interested to see how they do Iron Fist. I always thought he was cheesy.

Reactions: TheRedSon
We've been enjoying the heck out of it. I'm interested to see how they do Iron Fist. I always thought he was cheesy.

Yeah, I thought he was cheesy too. I doubt he will be in this. The cheese factor on DD, Jessica and Cage (so far) has been low.

Trish Walker = someone else we should know?

Trish = Patricia = Patsy?

Yeah, I thought he was cheesy too. I doubt he will be in this. The cheese factor on DD, Jessica and Cage (so far) has been low.

Trish Walker = someone else we should know?

Trish = Patricia = Patsy?
I finished it and thought it was quite good. It's weird reading about it online. In the kinds of sites I read, everyone thought it was the greatest thing ever. I feel like that was mostly because it was really the first female main character superhero depicted onscreen since the old Wonder Woman show. The show is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's the greatest thing ever. It's a different kind of show than Daredevil, which was certainly much more about the physical fighting. But since this is the second show in that Marvel Netflix series, I think it's fair to compare them.

The villain in Jessica Jones is much better. People praised the Kingpin from Daredevil, but I thought he came off as childish or mentally handicapped. Killgrave in Jessica Jones is a pretty terrifying villain, what with his power, fixation, and total lack of conscience.

The supporting cast from Daredevil was a lot more interesting. It's cool seeing Luke Cage in Jessica Jones, but I don't really understand the purpose of much of the rest of the characters. Trish Walker is fine and interesting (she's Hellcat in the comics), but everyone else seems superfluous. I felt the story really bog down when we focused on the lawyer or Jessica's neighbors. I liked the supporting cast much better in Daredevil. I liked Foggy and Karen, and bringing in Stick really allowed them to open up the story beyond the four corners of Hell's Kitchen. That allowed a bit of mysticism and frigging ninjas to come in, making you really feel like what you were watching was just a small part of a much bigger world of weirdness. Jessica Jones is a much smaller story. There's nothing wrong with that, but I liked Daredevil better in that regard.

I also felt like Jessica Jones suffered from the TV budget more than Daredevil did. You're getting powered people here, and I felt like it the budget prevented cool depictions. They would actually turn the camera away from scenes of her "flying" sometimes. And I don't know if this is related to the budget, but I felt like the portrayal of her powers was inconsistent. She can take a direct hit from a moving car and crumple the car, but she can also be knocked for a loop by someone swinging a piece of wood? That doesn't make sense. Plus, with the kind of strength she demonstrates sometimes, when she punches people, their faces should essentially cave in. It's not clear if she has tougher skin/bones/whatever than normal (other than a line about healing faster than normal people), but if she's jumping down from buildings and stuff, she would have to have that stuff not to turn into a pile of goo or absolutely liquefy her hand when she punches through walls.

I definitely liked the show, but it wasn't the revelation a lot of people seem to think. I'm very curious to see where they go from here with the Marvel Netflix shows. They haven't officially announced a date, but supposedly Daredevil season two is next, followed by Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and the Defenders, a show where they all come together. There hasn't been word yet as to whether Jessica Jones will get her own second season, but I read there are deadlines for delivering each of the shows and that adding second seasons delays those others. I'm looking forward to the Iron Fist show quite a bit more than you guys seem to be; I like them bringing in the mystical stuff, and it seems like he may have a connection to Doctor Strange through K'un L'un, the fake Asian country where apparently everyone in the MCU learns magic.

Speaking of K'un L'un...

I caught a reference to Angela Del Toro in episode 5 last night. Jessica wanted a potential client (avoiding spoilers here) to hire a different PI. Del Toro is the White Tiger in the comics, who gets her powers from amulets from K'un L'un.

She was connected to both Dare Devil and Iron Fist in the comics (and Matt Murdock in his day job too). May just be an Easter egg they threw in, but she could show up at some point.

Apparently Iron Fist is in danger of getting axed but I'd really like to see how they portray the character. I see how they could go dark with him for sure. I agree about Kingpin being a big dangerous child. I think it was intentional. He never really grew up from the point of killing his father, he just got more dangerous.

I also preferred DD to JJ but Netflix is doing what I wish a network would do with Batman. Let's do a Batman series that allows for full character development and gets dark, real dark. I think it could be phenomenal.

I really liked DD, but six episodes into JJ I prefer this series. Slightly.

It would be sad if they axed Iron Fist I think. Not so bad if they axed the show but left the character in the story like they've done with Hellcat and Cage in JJ I suppose.

Granted I thought the character was cheesy, but that was a long time ago, and Cage and Iron Fist both started off cheesy. There's still plenty of fun backstory there, and in 2015 the most interesting aspect of both characters is no longer race. Marvel proved that when Cage became so integral to the Marvel Universe in both the Civil War and House of M storylines. With Iron Fist it was stepping in as DD.

Side thought... The Defenders show itself should be late 2016 or early 2017...

Dr Strange will be late 2016.

No idea yet when and where Spider-Man fits into Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Both are former Defenders. In fact, Strange is arguably the most central member of the team.

Do you think we might get an actual crossover between the shows and the movies with either character (or some of the Netflix Defenders in Strange)?

Side thought... The Defenders show itself should be late 2016 or early 2017...

Dr Strange will be late 2016.

No idea yet when and where Spider-Man fits into Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Both are former Defenders. In fact, Strange is arguably the most central member of the team.

Do you think we might get an actual crossover between the shows and the movies with either character (or some of the Netflix Defenders in Strange)?

Man, Sony has the rights to Spider-Man so I would imagine they have some pretty hefty hurdles to overcome. It's hard to imagine the Defenders without them though.

Man, Sony has the rights to Spider-Man so I would imagine they have some pretty hefty hurdles to overcome. It's hard to imagine the Defenders without them though.

Sony and Marvel have an agreement in place for Marvel to use him now though. I do not know the details, but it is believed he will enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe in time to take on Thanos with the others.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
I knew he was going to be in the next Avengers but I did not know if it would expand beyond that.

Spidey is in Civil War which is before the next Avengers.

This is correct. Civil War comes out next May, which should be our first look at the newest Spider-Man.

There was some discussion that, because Doctor Strange was a Defender at one point and because there's already been some hints about K'un L'un, that Strange might show up/debut/crossover in the Netflix shows, but that seems pretty unlikely, honestly. And we haven't seen any of the TV characters cross over into the movies yet (Agents of SHIELD would have been the best opportunity), so I don't know if we'll see characters travel in that direction either.

I did not know that. In the comic Spider-Man starts out in favor of registration only to side with Captain America in the end. Also, how are they going to do the Avengers after Civil War? If you read the comic Civil War doesn't end with that being a possibility.

Never mind. I thought the next Avengers was after Civil War

Last edited:
I did not know that. In the comic Spider-Man starts out in favor of registration only to side with Captain America in the end. Also, how are they going to do the Avengers after Civil War? If you read the comic Civil War doesn't end with that being a possibility.

Never mind. I thought the next Avengers was after Civil War
It is. Civil War is May 2016. Avengers 3 is May 2018. I haven't read the Civil War comic, but I'm pretty sure they're significantly changing the storyline, like they supposedly did with Age of Ultron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT