ADVERTISEMENT

NEO & SDSU on 11/16

I'm sitting here at my computer in Shawnee waiting for Mr. Earl so we can make the snowy trip to Miami. They have not put up the brackets or listed the wrestlers yet at the Oklahoma Open in Tulsa but trackwrestling is showing 20 Oklahoma State entrants. We should be well represented by redshirts today in Tulsa. I expect the brackets and wrestlers to be shown sometime after 9AM.

They are already wrestling in Tulsa and you can follow it on trackwrestling.
Wrestlers who are at Tulsa:
Donald Cannon 125
Conner Cline 125
Zachary Gentzler 125
Kyle Garcia 133
Gary Wayne Harding 133
Dusty Hone 141
Lincoln Lemon 141
Michael Magaldo 141
Jonce Blaylock 149
Michael Martin 149
Chris Koo 157
Chandler Rogers 165
Chance Marsteller 157
Mathew Keilan Torres 157
Ryan Blees 165
Samuel Mahan 165
Quinten Patterson 174
Landry Chappell 184
Ben Laures 197
Tanner Allen 285

The hospitality I have always received on my trips down here is 2nd to none. Didn't really need the snow to make feel like home though :)

Anybody want to give updates or steer me where I can get online updates? Please?

Miller had a TF
Crutchmer was majored at 133
Dolan maj 9-1

results/dashboard on trackwrestling.com

This post was edited on 11/16 4:35 PM by Kingk0ng

collica vs dawaylon barnes @ 157
kindig winner TF
collica up 7 to 1 in 2nd
final 11 - 2
This post was edited on 11/16 4:48 PM by jon_osu

track wrestling has it.
Miller won bt TF 17-2
Crutchmer lost MD 17-3
Dolan won 9-1
Kindig won 18-1
Collica up 7-1

AD wins by TF 17 - 1 in 4:02

Rogers winner 7 - 6
Boyd wins by TF 18 - 3 in 3:58
Rotert over Austin Schafer 8 - 6
Marsden wins 8 - 4

final: 25 - 9
This post was edited on 11/16 7:34 PM by leroyjethrogibbs

After his close 6 - 5 win (he was almost taken down at the end) Kindig walked by his the other wrestler a slap his hand (like give me five) and walked away without having his hand raised.

Not as much snow in Miami or ice and had no problems making the trip. The weather was better than the wrestling. The highlights were Austin Miller at 125 who wrestled very well. Alex Dierenger wrestled well at 165, Nolan Boyd had two impressive tech falls at 184 and Austin Marsden looked very good in his two wins particularly against a good heavyweight from South Dakota State. He was aggressive on his feet and was still shooting with only seconds left in his second match which he dominated. We are not going to win many duals with four weights.

We showed we are very vulnerable at 133 and John is going to have to make a decision about taking someone out of redshirt here. Davey Dolan was adequate but very little offense at 141 and he will have to develop more offense to win many matches at this weight-perhaps he suffered some from the weight cut which is probably considerable. In the match against South Dakota State Kindig hung on to win against a much larger opponent. Anthony Collica was out-horsed by Cody Pack, shot more than Pack but could not finish and Pack used very good skill and a distinct size advantage to win by several.

Jordan Rogers was a lot less than impressive at 174 and came close to losing against South Dakota State when he appeared to mail in the second half of the match He was not the aggressor and the Jack rabbit kept coming and almost won.
Before the match against SDSU started Gooseman told me that he thought that SDSU would make matches at 197 and Heavyweight very competitive. As I indicated Everard at Heavyweight was a very good wrestler but Austin Marsden was more than up to the job in beating him. Rotert at 197 looked very impressive at 197 and had four takedowns on Schafer during the match. We finally got a takedown against him in the third period and Schafer looked to be the better wrestler in the top position. He came back to lose by only two points in a match that if we had gotten the first takedown we might have won but at times I have to admit Schafer looked like a statue out on the mat, repeatedly too slow on his feet. He needs to compensate for his lack of foot speed by a lot more aggressiveness. Rotert is a very good wrestler and I give kudos to Schafer to come back and make the match competitive at the end.

It is very early in the season but at this point this happy homer is anything but happy with the showing yesterday and left wondering if the rankings early on were spot on and hopefully we can manage to stay in the top ten. We have a lot of holes where we are adequate at best and less than average at worst. Too early to write off the season based on a first outing and there were four weights as indicated that showed much promise. I know our kids wanted to wrestle well and put out the effort. South Dakota State is a well coached team, in better shape than most of our wrestlers and got the most out of their ability. Coach Bono and his staff are to be congratulated and of course they contributed greatly to our poor showing. They are a young team and will only get better.

Here's what I remember from yesterday.

Austin Miller looked good in both of his matches working hard throughout.

Brian Crutchmer look weaker than both of his opponents and gassed early in both; he doesn't look like the answer here.

Davey Dolen looked surprisingly good in both although he did nothing in both first periods before hitting a late takedown in both. He wrestled solid in the last two periods of the first match but coasted through that last two of the second.

Kindig looked good and strong in the first match but was out horsed in the second. Got hit with a good double in the first to fall behind but work his way back into the lead with some good wrestling. He was nearly taken down twice in the third and may have been on the first but fought it off for a takedown of his own. It was after this match that he received that point deduction.

Collica controlled the first match although he surprisingly for the small weight cut, appeared to gas early but hung on for an easy win. He was completely out horsed in the second and seemed gased most of the match

Dieringer was solid if unspectacular in both of his matched. He has the body of a wrestling god.

Jordan Rogers was fairly unimpressive in both of his wins; first against a solid Jacobe Smith featuring a couple of good scrambles; second against the SDSU wrester who looked bigger and stronger but managed to fight off several TD attempts at the close.

Nolan Boyd would be my pick for the All-Star of the match (with Miller close behind). He wrestled hard throughout both of his matches and always pressed the pace. He even had a nice throw ala Z. Most importantly, he managed to not have one of his blowups that cost him a match. Very solid.

Schafer looked good in the first which raised my hopes and terrible in the second which brought them back to earth.

Marsden had an outstanding pin in the first but had to scratch his way for the win in the second although he was never in much danger, it was a struggle.

That's what I remember, although I may have forgotten everything I saw and just imagined all of this, as I forgot the new connection from I-44 to the Turnpike and ended up on 66 even though I've been that way a dozen times. Let me know where I'm wrong or you simply disagree.

Sorry Obe, you posted while I was typing. I hope I didn't conterdict you.

This post was edited on 11/18 7:25 AM by Old Number Nine

I forgot to mention the exhibition match in between

I think Joe Schumacher was first and although he had no offense on his feet, he was dynamite on the mat with a very nice leg ride and a very interesting turning hold that I don't think I have ever seen before which he used at will. At one point when he had just finished a three-point turn and let the guy get back on his stomach, he looked over his shoulder at the clock and saw there were six seconds left on the clock and simply hocked it up again for the five count and the tech.

Kyle Cructhmer looked solid in his mat and more than made up for any shortage of skill with hustle and muscle. He was fun to watch and I heard a rumor that he handled Rogers in the room the day after their ranking match. No great source, just some guys talking in the crowd.

Last was Ethan Driver and he and his opponent showed no offense throughout the match but I think Driver had a TD at the end but I had lost all interest by that point.
This post was edited on 11/17 8:55 AM by Old Number Nine

Old number nine, I think our write-ups of the duals were in agreement on almost every wrestler. Except at heavyweight where I think Marsden had a quality opponent and Austin was much more aggressive this year than at the start of last year and I think this bodes well for the future at heavyweight.

I thought Driver's takedown was pretty sketchy. It was more like the ref just wanted the match to be over.

Just for discussion and for opinions sake it seems that we would need to pull two out of RS at 133 and 157 if we want our highest point scoring team come March and possibly the same at 141. Would also be very interesting if we did see JK decide to make the cut to 141.

Boyd and Mardsen appear to have taken the next step which bodes very well for the team. I think Rogers and Schafer just need more mat time and both will steadily improve throughout the year.

So 4 of our wrestlers looked good but two of those wrestlers are not even all American candidates. Boyd and Miller at this time would likely get torn up by an all American contender. I could be wrong about this but our team looks sad at this time. It is just the beginning of the year but as everyone indicates this could be an ugly year.

Harley,
I took a realistic view of what transpired Sunday and I agree that several weights need improvement however again you prove that you can not see anything but doom and gloom. BTW I do not agree with your assessment of Miller and Boyd. Boyd is ranked in the top 20 and I see no one "tearing him up" this year. He is much improved from last year and he could definitely be an All-American candidate. I am not predicting this based on two matches however but I believe he will be competitive in all of his matches this year. Austin Miller looked great against maybe average competition but he is a good wrestler getting better all of the time. He may not be in the lineup after January but that depends on Eddie who was there yesterday but not able to wrestle yet as he can only lose so much weight each week to get to 118 where he is certified.
Miller lost a one point match last year to Gilman from Iowa and has only improved since then.

Originally posted by oberebo:

Coach Bono and his staff are to be congratulated and of course they contributed greatly to our poor showing. They are a young team and will only get better.
DIdn't disagree with any of the rest of what you wrote, but wanted to respond to this, I agree.

Always good to see you all. Time for a nap.

Oberebo, you could be right about me but I think I just summarized what was written by those that were at the duals. I in no way think this will be our lineup for the year and if it was I do think this year would be ugly. I think Klimara will take over at some time at 25. Crutchmer has guts but can't stay at 33. I can't figure out Heil at all. Dolan shouldn't be our 41. Kindig had a great Nationals last year but I do not know what happened with SDSU. We are committed to Collica at 57 since his redshirt is taken for this year. I hope he is big enough. I saw Pack at the Bison Open and he almost beat Ness in the finals. Dieringer is our star. I also can't figure out Rogers at 74 and do not trust his performances. I don't understand when he has a chance to start he gives these weak performances which I think occurred last year also. I hope that you are right about Boyd and Miller but time will tell. SDSU 97 is a freshman who beat Schiller by default but was ahead when Schiller stopped because of a knee injury of some kind. So with Schaeffer he lost to a good wrestler but wrestlers who are slow on their feet concern me. Marsden wrestled well but that is a guy who he should beat because I know he lost to Knutson of the Bison this year who is a good wrestler but not an all American candidate. I think we have committed to Collica and so should continue to redshirt on Marstellar. I don't know what will happen this year but this weekend did not build my confidence. I think more answers will come this weekend and I did see that Coach Smith said he filled out a notebook in regards to our performance. I don't think coach Smith was too happy with how we looked either.

Since there has been some talk in here about redshirts; am I right in thinking that Eddie has a redshirt available?

Harley, I do think at times you bring a balance to some including me that tend to see only the positive and you are right that I was uncharacteristically down after our performance Sunday. However your assessment failed to take into account the good things that happened and just focused on the bad. Regardless of the competition Austin Miller did everything right Sunday and yet you gave him no credit. Austin Marsden was much more aggressive and looked sharper Sunday than at almost anytime last year until the end of the season and while his opponent will not be on top of the podium in March he was a good heavyweight. You can not dominate two wrestlers any more than Nolan Boyd did Sunday. I truly believe if Nolan wrestles smarter this year he has all of the tools to be an All-American. He appears to sometimes be overaggressive which in the past has led to costly mistakes. I do not want him to lose his aggressive nature but just temper it a little. This year he does not have to fret about making the team and hopefully he can concentrate more on out- wrestling opponents.

This was the first time Anthony Collica was up two weights from last year. He is undersized for 157 but even in the match he lost he showed some good moves. If we all had our druthers than Kindig would be at 141 and Collica would be at 149 but this is not likely to happen. Possibly Marsteller made a breakthrough Sunday at the Oklahoma Open and distanced himself from the other team mates at 157. We all know that he has great talent and if he can control his weight and gain confidence he could be the answer at this weight. Collica's redshirt apparently has been burned but if Marsteller continues to improve and if he can consistently beat Anthony then I believe John will wrestle whoever is the most competitive. Marsteller is not unlike many highly touted freshmen that come into a college wrestling room and suffer until the light comes on.

At 197 Schafer was exposed as being slow in reacting on his feet but he came back the latter part of the match got a takedown and showed he can be a force in the top position. I still think he will be a very good 197 pounder when all is said and done.

The biggest disappointment to me was Jordan Rogers at 174. This is his third year and he just has not shown the improvement that we would expect and in his second match he struggled to win and shut down his offense for a good portion of the match. He is going to have to get better in a hurry or a much more explosive Kyle Crutchmer will be the starter at this weight.

Overall our performance Sunday was not good but we did have bright spots and also had an exceptional wrestler performing in Alex Dierenger who is only getting better every time out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT