ADVERTISEMENT

National Debt

vetmedpoke

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
I was reading Dr. Ben Carson's new book "One Nation". He had a part in there talking about the national debt. I had never thought of it this way and it really disturbed me. But the debt is around $17 trillion. Well, if the USA payed $1 billion of principal, every day of every year, how long would it take to pay off the national debt? Now I didn't count the exact days, and the debt isn't $17 trillion exactly, but it's around 50 years. By that time I will be 86 years old (hopefully I make it there).

Someway, somehow, both parties have to start working together to start getting this thing under control. Spending the past 6 years has been at an all time high and it's got to slow down/stop eventually.

Does Dr. Ben Carson address any of the following:

1. How much debt is too much?
2. What happens when there is too much debt?
3. Is it actually desirable to pay off the debt in its entirety?

I don't know if Mr. Carson addresses it, but I'll take a shot:

1: There is no magic number. But being in a position where we have to borrow in order to maintain an annual budget leads us to be in a poor position to respond to the financial downturns that occur without significantly increasing our debtload. I'm not against us having debt. I'm against us needing to borrow just to run our annual expenditures.

2: Again, there is no magic number. But when the debt becomes too much, we have borrow more in order to simply maintain our existing levels of financing. It works for as long as we can repress interest rates, but eventually, the market will correct and as the rates rise, our cost of financing will increase significantly. This will put additional pressures on the budget and contrain our growth expenditures.

3: Depends I guess. I would say it is as I would prefer to spend the $384B that was spent on interest expense (thus far this fiscal year per US Treasury) on anything else.

The real issue is that we assume that rates will continue to remain at historic lows and that the US dollar will always be consider the benchmark investment. As we can see, over the past two years, we've seen interest rates raising from the bottom and the fed is limited in its ability to drive the rates lower. If our borrowing rates raise to 5%, we will need nearly a $1T just for interest expense. And at that point, its too late to start balancing the budget and reducing the debt. We may not cross that juncture in 10-20 years. Could be further than that, but we are setting up some future generation for a government default with the spending strategies we are implementing today.

Justin

pilt, I'm only a third through his book so far. And he has not addressed those issues yet, he has just brought up a point on how much and how long it would take to pay off the debt.

However, what are your thoughts on them?

Originally posted by shortbus:
What's the interest on that debt, per day?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Well, it varies significantly month to month, but we are at $385m through 10 months of the fiscal year. Last year was $415million in interest. 415m works out to 1.13m per day. I've linked a website (TreasuryDirect.gov) that clearly shows the numbers.

Justin

Government Doc on Debt Interest

Thank you. Should have been billions. Thats why I linked the data, so you could see for yourselves.

Justin

Originally posted by vetmedpoke:
pilt, I'm only a third through his book so far. And he has not addressed those issues yet, he has just brought up a point on how much and how long it would take to pay off the debt.

I'm interested as well, especially in what your specific numbers/time horizones are given your assessment of current conditions.

Originally posted by CBradSmith:

Originally posted by vetmedpoke:

I'm interested as well, especially in what your specific numbers/time horizones are given your assessment of current conditions.
He'd be thrilled with more debt. Plenty more.

I'll actually answer in reverse order since it makes more sense.

3. It is not desirable to pay off the debt in its entirety. Government debt is the only source of net private savings. If the government debt were $0 the private savings in the economy would be $0 which is not desirable.
2. Debt is only a secondary concern in that interest payments on the debt contribute to the yearly deficit. The key thing to remember is that if demand i.e. consumer spending (income minus taxes and savings) plus government spending minus interest payments (interest payments show up as income in the consumer side of the equation) is less than supply i.e. the total productive capacity of the economy then the economy is operating inefficiently and will have high unemployment. if demand is greater than supply the economy is operating inefficiently and will have high inflation. So the consequences of excessive debt is inflation. A government the borrows in its own floating exchange rate currency (so no EU or Argentina comparisons) can never involuntarily default and interest rates are controlled by the government via the central bank not by supply/demand of money. The only consequence of excess debt is inflation.
3. The equation for how much debt is too much is (desired private sector savings + taxes - desired government consumption)/interest rate which is to say that the interest paid on the debt should equal the desired private sector savings + taxes - desired government consumption. Here desired savings is how much on aggregate people plus business want to add to their net savings, and desired government consumption is the how much we as a nation determine the government should consume which is another way of how much the government should spend minus interest payments. Also keep in mind that as interest rates go up so does the private sector's desire to save. Also note that the consequences of excess debt are an over heated economy which can quickly be solved via tax increases.

Ask yourself what the main goal of fiscal policy should be. Should it be to insure that the national economy is operating at its full potential and that everyone who wants a job can find one, or is it to cater to puritanical gut feelings about debt being wrong?

3: This isnt relevant. Net private savings doesn't have any impact in the real world. Investments in the stock market are net zero (its savings for the investor but loans for the company). Second, it doesnt account for the quantity of the debt that isn't owned by US buyers. So all the paper bought by China makes for a net negative adjustment. Finally, it doesn't count other government debt, such as state or municipal debt which is also net positve for private savings. In fact, I would argue that if the government did not carry the debt, that the savings would be even better for the economy as they would be supporting private business opportunity which maximizes the use of capital vs. government enterprise which does not.

2: Yep. Which is seen as the interest rates continue to rise, yet the government has managed to eliminate our ability to control that rate by constantly lowering it to attempt to accelerate economic activity.

1: So the solution to more debt is higher taxes. Yep. Which is why we need to manage the debt and not let it continue to grow simply for the day-to-day operation of the country. Otherwise, raising taxes only delays the inevitable. At the current debt levels today, you would need to s

Again, I'm not against having debt. I'm not asking for the impossible of paying it off tomorrow. But we have to find a budget equillibrium. We cannot only generate more debt every year, or we will suffer massive inflation or default. That is the only end conclusion.

BTW, the country hasn't always had debt, but we've always had savings. Its just invested into other "private" entities (such as your bank who paid you a fair interest rate so they could loan it to other private entities). Its for this reason, that I believe that net private savings is a value that provides zero real economic benefit.

Justin

How are investments by investors in individual stocks " loans to the company"?

That's a doozy. When are those "loans" going to be paid back?

Originally posted by aix_xpert:

3: This isnt relevant. Net private savings doesn't have any impact in the real world. Investments in the stockmarketare net zero (its savings for the investor but loans for the company). Second, it doesnt account for the quantityof thedebt that isn't owned by US buyers. So all the paper bought by China makes for a net negative adjustment. Finally, itdoesn't count other government debt, such as state or municipal debt which is also net positve for privatesavings. Infact, I would argue that if the government did not carry the debt, that the savings would be even better forthe economyas they would be supporting private business opportunity which maximizes the use of capital vs.governmententerprise which does not.
First, that is not at all how the "stock market" works. Second if I knew we were going to devolve into pedantry I would have usedtheterm "entities who do business in US dollars and are income constrained." As it stands it doesn't matter whether the entityisChinese or a Municipality, their desire to save US dollars affects the economy. If more people want to save versus loan andthegovernment is running a surplus then there aren't enough dollars to go around to buy what the economy can produce.

2: Yep. Which is seen as the interest rates continue to rise, yet the government has managed to eliminate ourabilityto control that rate by constantly lowering it to attempt to accelerate economic activity.
This is a giant non sequitor. "rates continue to rise" "constantly lowering" Do you agree or disagree that the only consequenceofexcessive debt is inflation?

1: So the solution to more debt is higher taxes. Yep. Which is why we need to manage the debt and not letitcontinue to grow simply for the day-to-day operation of the country. Otherwise, raising taxes only delaystheinevitable. At the current debt levels today, you would need to s
The solution to inflation due to an over heated economy is a tax increase. Why are tax increases bad? because they reducedemand, which is exactly what is needed to control inflation. what is the inevitable you speak of?

Again, I'm not against having debt. I'm not asking for the impossible of paying it off tomorrow. But we have to find abudget equillibrium. We cannot only generate more debt every year, or we will suffer massive inflation or default. That is the only end conclusion.

BTW, the country hasn't always had debt, but we've always had savings. Its just invested into other "private" entities(such as your bank who paid you a fair interest rate so they could loan it to other private entities). Its for this reason,that I believe that net private savings is a value that provides zero real economic benefit.

Justin
You are reaching unsupported conclusions. We are below full employment and have chronically low inflation indicating insufficient deficits, yet you are concerned about the debt. If you make the assertion that our current path is unsustainable then the burden is on you to show that. You know that an an involuntary default is impossible. The only danger is inflation, not hyperinflation mind you, and we have means to control that. There is no evidence that the debt is too high nor that it ever will be at our current pace.

We haven't always debt, you are correct. In our history we had one year with no debt. in 1835 the debt was zero. In 1836 we had the worst recession in our short history. The economy contracted 32%. In 1839 there was a worse recession yet. The economy contracted 34%. For context, the great depression was 27% and the great recession was 4.3%. Hard to conclude that net private saving have value from that record.

Consider our current situation. Even at record low interest rates, there are more dollars chasing savings than there are qualified borrowers. What happens to production when everyone wants to save? There is not enough money to buy the production and production contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT