ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota

TheJimReaper

Starter
Aug 23, 2018
Oklahoma
I thought I'd do lineup looks on the non-conference teams on our schedule. Minny is first and i will go in order of when we wrestle them.

125: Sean Russell RSSR - Edinboro grad transfer. Went 33-7 last year and went 2-2 at NCAAs. Russell also won EWL Championship. Russell is also former all-American taking 6th as sophomore in 2017.

133: Ethan Lizak RSSR - Lizak will be moving up from 125 where he was an all-American twice placing 2nd and 4th respectively. Lizak went 31-7 overall last season.

141: Mitchell McKee JR - McKee will be moving up from 133. McKee went 21-8 last season and is a 2x National qualifier and finished in the round of 12 last year getting wins over Josh Finesilver (Duke), Sean Nickell (CSU Bakersfield), and Zach Sherman (North Carolina). McKee is also quite accomplished in freestyle. He is a Junior Silver world medalist at 61kg and he will also be the 65kg rep for the U23 world championships.

149: Tommy Thorn RSSR - Thorn went 18-13 and was a National qualifier where he went 0-2. Thorn is a former all-American taking 8th as a sophomore in 2017.

157: Steve Bleise RSSR - Bleise struggled with injures Last season at 149. However, he still managed to go 20-9 and qualify for Nationals where he went 2-2 notching wins over Eleazar De Luca (Rutgers) and Cole Martin (Wisconsin). Bleise is a 3 time National qualifier and finished in the round of 12 as a sophomore in 2017.

165: Jake Allar RSFR - Allar did not compete during his redshirt season but was a blue-chipper coming out of high school.

174: Devin Skatzka RSJR - Skatzka transferred over from Indiana after their head coach Duane Goldman retired. Skatzka is a two time National qualifier and went 22-13 last season and 0-2 in the National tournament. Skatzka will replace Chris Pfarr at 174.

184: Owen Webster JR/Brandon Krone RSSR - Webster was the starter until he was lost due to injury. Webster went 8-3 during that time. Krone went 12-10 and was a National qualifier where he went 1-2 getting a win over Alan Clothier (Appalachian State). Krone has prior starting experience at 165 and Webster still has a redshirt to use so Krone could end up being the starter.

197: Bobby Steveson RSJR - Steveson went 4-9 before being lost to injury. Steveson was also a National qualifier as a freshman in 2017 down at 184.

HWT: Gable Steveson FR - Steveson is considered by some to be the greatest high school wrestler ever. Steveson is also very accomplished in freestyle have at least 1 Cadet gold and a Junior gold. He was also the 125kg rep on the Junior World team this year.

Gable is fantastic, I'm gonna guess he ends up a 4x champ and wins some World & Olympic medals. But I think his claim as possibly the best HS wrestler ever took a hit this weekend.

Also think Lizak is going to be a problem for the 133 weight class.

Gable is fantastic, I'm gonna guess he ends up a 4x champ and wins some World & Olympic medals. But I think his claim as possibly the best HS wrestler ever took a hit this weekend.

Also think Lizak is going to be a problem for the 133 weight class.
Nah, regarding GS as a 4X champ. Kirk gets up to full feed and working out with Snyder... GS might be the best runner up in NCAA history.

Nah, regarding GS as a 4X champ. Kirk gets up to full feed and working out with Snyder... GS might be the best runner up in NCAA history.

Right behind Mark Hall (possible 3x runner up).

Lizak shouldn’t be a problem for him.

Lizak is built like Luke Karam who once gave Daton fits. If DF gets out from bottom, no problem. But a freshman, even the great ones, are learning for the first time what its like to regularly face good top skills.

Would you have said that if Kerkvliet ended up at ISU? ;)
I think so, but it would have been more difficult. Based on how GS vs DK went when they met, and GS had a sizeable weight advantage at the time...Kirk will beat GS after having Snyder as a tutor and workout partner.

DK on full feed will be terrifying.

Reactions: osu2082
I think so, but it would have been more difficult. Based on how GS vs DK went when they met, and GS had a sizeable weight advantage at the time...Kirk will beat GS after having Snyder as a tutor and workout partner.

DK on full feed will be terrifying.

I think that's a fair take. Kerkvliet will probably have Taha Akgul as a training partner occasionally also (you can bet Ryan told him that).

I'm going with Steveson. I remember him saying something about them being friends and that their next match would be a tech. Then I saw him hang with Dom Bradley and Tony Nelson this summer. Kerkvliet is a terrific athlete, Gable is a freak athlete.

I think that's a fair take. Kerkvliet will probably have Taha Akgul as a training partner occasionally also (you can bet Ryan told him that).

I'm going with Steveson. I remember him saying something about them being friends and that their next match would be a tech. Then I saw him hang with Dom Bradley and Tony Nelson this summer. Kerkvliet is a terrific athlete, Gable is a freak athlete.
I am going to go with Kerk. While I understand your point about Gable hanging with Bradley and Nelson, those two are plodders-Kerk is an athlete. The difference in the match last year seemed to be size where Kerk couldn't quite finish, and if Kerk grows 20 lbs...

I am going to go with Kerk. While I understand your point about Gable hanging with Bradley and Nelson, those two are plodders-Kerk is an athlete. The difference in the match last year seemed to be size where Kerk couldn't quite finish, and if Kerk grows 20 lbs...

Yeah, I can see that side of it, although I think Bradley is fairly athletic himself, he just wrestles a very conservative style.

Other questions...

How do you think Derek does against Gable this year?

How do you think a bulked up Daton would do at 61 kg (except for the Olympic years)?

Yeah, I can see that side of it, although I think Bradley is fairly athletic himself, he just wrestles a very conservative style.

Other questions...

How do you think Derek does against Gable this year?

How do you think a bulked up Daton would do at 61 kg (except for the Olympic years)?
I think Derek is athletic enough, and now large enough, to compete on an equal footing with him, and may be good enough on top to control him well.

If Daton is going to go to 61, he better eat his wheaties. I don't picture him as big at 57, so a lot of bulking, which might take away some of his quickness.

but I am not an expert :oops:

Reactions: Wrassler17
I think Derek is athletic enough, and now large enough, to compete on an equal footing with him, and may be good enough on top to control him well.

If Daton is going to go to 61, he better eat his wheaties. I don't picture him as big at 57, so a lot of bulking, which might take away some of his quickness.

but I am not an expert :oops:

Remember, after this year international championships will mean making flat weight on both days of competition (this year you get +2 kg on the second day). The average size of athletes in each weight class is going to go down some from what we have come to expect. I'd agree that Fix is under-sized for a 61 right now, but he isn't far away, especially if he goes 133 and can grow some more.

Also Steveson > Kerkvliet forever.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Remember, after this year international championships will mean making flat weight on both days of competition (this year you get +2 kg on the second day). The average size of athletes in each weight class is going to go down some from what we have come to expect. I'd agree that Fix is under-sized for a 61 right now, but he isn't far away, especially if he goes 133 and can grow some more.

Will missing weight on the 2nd day be treated like a medical forfeit? What happens if both finalists miss weight? That would be embarrassing.

Nice job on the Track podcasts BTW.

Will missing weight on the 2nd day be treated like a medical forfeit? What happens if both finalists miss weight? That would be embarrassing.

Nice job on the Track podcasts BTW.

Thanks, glad to hear someone is listening to them!

Missing weight is effectively a DQ. It happened to Victoria Anthony at the Medved. She didn't miss weight, but the weigh-in times were changed so she missed the weigh-ins completely after making the finals. She was removed from the final standings and the wrestler she beat in the semis got to wrestle in the finals. Another wrestler who missed the weigh-ins simply didn't get a chance to wrestle in the repechage. If enough competitors missed, I guess you could have a situation where you run out of repechage eligible wrestlers to move up (and those who weren't likely wouldn't be able to make weight on short notice), but that would take a lot to effect the medals. That was sort of how the NCAA ended up with 7 All-Americans at 134 in 1981, though, so it isn't unprecedented.

1st part didn't realize this year was +2. So, your logic makes sense to me.

2nd part-nah. :)

Thanks, glad to hear someone is listening to them!

Missing weight is effectively a DQ. It happened to Victoria Anthony at the Medved. She didn't miss weight, but the weigh-in times were changed so she missed the weigh-ins completely after making the finals. She was removed from the final standings and the wrestler she beat in the semis got to wrestle in the finals. Another wrestler who missed the weigh-ins simply didn't get a chance to wrestle in the repechage. If enough competitors missed, I guess you could have a situation where you run out of repechage eligible wrestlers to move up (and those who weren't likely wouldn't be able to make weight on short notice), but that would take a lot to effect the medals. That was sort of how the NCAA ended up with 7 All-Americans at 134 in 1981, though, so it isn't unprecedented.

That makes sense, thanks.

Definitely listen to the podcasts, lots of good wrestling talk.

Also a great test for Gable, as he and White both have wins over Tanner Hall. Let’s not forget Derek had only 4 losses last year to three guys that were named Kyle Snyder, Sam Stoll and Michael Hughes all of which AA’d. Derek was one of maybe 3 wrestlers to get a takedown on the champ last year.

I thought I'd do lineup looks on the non-conference teams on our schedule. Minny is first and i will go in order of when we wrestle them.

125: Sean Russell RSSR - Edinboro grad transfer. Went 33-7 last year and went 2-2 at NCAAs. Russell also won EWL Championship. Russell is also former all-American taking 6th as sophomore in 2017.

133: Ethan Lizak RSSR - Lizak will be moving up from 125 where he was an all-American twice placing 2nd and 4th respectively. Lizak went 31-7 overall last season.

141: Mitchell McKee JR - McKee will be moving up from 133. McKee went 21-8 last season and is a 2x National qualifier and finished in the round of 12 last year getting wins over Josh Finesilver (Duke), Sean Nickell (CSU Bakersfield), and Zach Sherman (North Carolina). McKee is also quite accomplished in freestyle. He is a Junior Silver world medalist at 61kg and he will also be the 65kg rep for the U23 world championships.

149: Tommy Thorn RSSR - Thorn went 18-13 and was a National qualifier where he went 0-2. Thorn is a former all-American taking 8th as a sophomore in 2017.

157: Steve Bleise RSSR - Bleise struggled with injures Last season at 149. However, he still managed to go 20-9 and qualify for Nationals where he went 2-2 notching wins over Eleazar De Luca (Rutgers) and Cole Martin (Wisconsin). Bleise is a 3 time National qualifier and finished in the round of 12 as a sophomore in 2017.

165: Jake Allar RSFR - Allar did not compete during his redshirt season but was a blue-chipper coming out of high school.

174: Devin Skatzka RSJR - Skatzka transferred over from Indiana after their head coach Duane Goldman retired. Skatzka is a two time National qualifier and went 22-13 last season and 0-2 in the National tournament. Skatzka will replace Chris Pfarr at 174.

184: Owen Webster JR/Brandon Krone RSSR - Webster was the starter until he was lost due to injury. Webster went 8-3 during that time. Krone went 12-10 and was a National qualifier where he went 1-2 getting a win over Alan Clothier (Appalachian State). Krone has prior starting experience at 165 and Webster still has a redshirt to use so Krone could end up being the starter.

197: Bobby Steveson RSJR - Steveson went 4-9 before being lost to injury. Steveson was also a National qualifier as a freshman in 2017 down at 184.

HWT: Gable Steveson FR - Steveson is considered by some to be the greatest high school wrestler ever. Steveson is also very accomplished in freestyle have at least 1 Cadet gold and a Junior gold. He was also the 125kg rep on the Junior World team this year.

I've been told that your predictions are wrong. Two guys didn't even make the trip and you have the weight wrong on one of them. The big question is what two, and what weight wrong?

I've been told that your predictions are wrong. Two guys didn't even make the trip and you have the weight wrong on one of them. The big question is what two, and what weight wrong?

I made these predictions a while ago so I'm sure they're probably inaccurate in some places.

Mike are you talking about Reaper's SDSU predictions? If so, I'll guess that Shomers and Weigel didn't make the trip since they didn't wrestle at OCU. Maybe a little banged up?

Wish you would start posting more again. I miss those inside nuggets that you used to share.

Last edited:
Hope not with weigel. Thought he wrestled at ocu

Yeah, you're right, Weigel was at OCU. OK, no more lineup guesses from me. Props to the staff and team for keeping things under wraps this long.

Maybe they'll wrestle in masks against SDSU so we still won't know the lineup.

Mike are you talking about Reaper's SDSU predictions? If so, I'll guess that Shomers and Weigel didn't make the trip since they didn't wrestle at OCU. Maybe a little banged up?

Wish you would start posting more again. I miss those inside nuggets that you used to share.
Your right, wrong thread. Trying to stay out of it but they keep pulling me back in. Worried about my health, don't want to be one of the insiders and end up dead like all those people that had dirt on the Clintons! LOL

Yeah, you're right, Weigel was at OCU. OK, no more lineup guesses from me. Props to the staff and team for keeping things under wraps this long.

Maybe they'll wrestle in masks against SDSU so we still won't know the lineup.
Weigel did wrestle at OCU but he still wears the monstrous knee brace and was limping at the end of the Marsden match.

Your right, wrong thread. Trying to stay out of it but they keep pulling me back in. Worried about my health, don't want to be one of the insiders and end up dead like all those people that had dirt on the Clintons! LOL

Make 34-And-Counting Great Again !

Seriously though, I started reading this board a couple of years before I began posting. I always enjoyed reading your "scoops". You and april racer were 2 of the most active posters back then.

Make 34-And-Counting Great Again !

Seriously though, I started reading this board a couple of years before I began posting. I always enjoyed reading your "scoops". You and april racer were 2 of the most active posters back then.
I enjoy reading all the new guys posting on this board. What going on with Oberebo, haven't seen a post from him in awhile. He has been the back bone of this board for along time.

Weigel did wrestle at OCU but he still wears the monstrous knee brace and was limping at the end of the Marsden match.

Flo has some videos up. Looks like most of the guys made the trip. Joe is there. Didn't see Preston, but I might have missed him though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT