ADVERTISEMENT

Manhattan DA's Office in Chaos

I'm glad you brought that up. Interestingly enough Senators Albert Gore Sr (Al Gore's dad) and Robert Byrd (Biden's self admitted mentor) tried to filibuster that legislation and were 2 of 24 Senators that voted against it. In the House 78% of the Republicans voted for the legislation, while only 60% of the Democrats did. Strange how leftist seem to overlook that.
So yore saying civil rights weren't championed by liberals? Stupid take. Not surprised.

Interestingly enough Senators Albert Gore Sr (Al Gore's dad) and Robert Byrd (Biden's self admitted mentor) tried to filibuster that legislation and were 2 of 24 Senators that voted against it.
This is true. Those two men were part of the "Southern Bloc" of 18 Democratic Senators and 1 Republican (Texas) who sought to destroy the bill. One of those Senators was also Democrat Strom Thurmond. Thankfully, they were unsuccessful. Robert Byrd ended his filibuster after Northern Democratic Whip Senator Hubert Humphrey, with the help of Northern Republican Senator Everett Dirkson (Illinois) were able to get enough votes to end the filibuster and debate.

In the Senate, non-Southern Senators voted 72-6 in favor of the bill. Southern Senators voted 1-21 against. The only Southern Senator to vote for the bill was Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas, who was known at that time as a progressive Democrat at odds with the conservative Democrat fraction in his state. The House numbers were similar (Northern: 281–32 for, Southern: 8–94 against).

After President Johnson, a liberal Democratic President, signed the bill into law, he famously told his liberal advisor Bill Moyers, "Well, I think we may have lost the south for your lifetime – and mine."

He was right. What happened? All those Southern Democrats were eventually replaced, for the most part, with conservative Republicans. Senator Strom Thurmond switched parties and became a Republican. Those northern Republicans were replaced, for the most part, with Democrats. And progressive Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough? He lost re-election in 1970.

A political shift continued to occur in our politics after the signing of that bill, one that had essentially started with FDR, continuing through Hubert Humphrey's famous speech at the 1948 Democratic National Convention, Barry Goldwater's nomination in 1964, Humphrey's nomination in 1968, etc.

The parties were different back then (but moving towards what they are today) and the political landscape was different too.

Last edited:
So yore saying civil rights weren't championed by liberals? Stupid take. Not surprised.
Is this where you tell us the parties switched and Republicans become racist? LMAO. Democrats hijacked civil rights from Republicans for their own political gain and could give shit about the black community until it's time for an election.

Of course it was championed by liberals. Liberals in both parties along with moderates too. Signed by a liberal President who angered his fellow conservative Southern Democrats, who thought he was going to be a President in their camp.

Anyone who claims otherwise just doesn't know their political history.

Last edited:
Is this where you tell us the parties switched and Republicans become racist?
The parties, in many ways, did switch. Both parties also divided much more along ideological lines. Today, we don't see the same makeup of the parties that we did in 1964 nor do we see the same political landscape.

And no, not all Republicans are racist.

Democrats hijacked civil rights from Republicans for their own political gain and could give shit about the black community until it's time for an election.
This isn't true at all. And it just flat out ignores political history.

The Democratic Party chose to go in the direction it did as did the Republican Party. They both were reacting to a changing political landscape and a country in the midst of change.

What exactly do you find so funny about that?

Do you think someone like Strom Thurmond was a liberal or progressive southern Democrat?
Thurmond didn't make apologies for Nazis.

51aa757ec9ec4a60.jpg

Thurmond didn't make apologies for Nazis.
And who on this board has made apologies for Nazis?

You are right though, to his credit, Thurmond didn't make apologies for the Nazis in Germany. However, he was the nominee of the Dixiecrats (State' Rights Democratic Party) in 1948 after he walked out of the 1948 Democratic National Convention. And we all know what they stood for (or do you?). He also signed the Southern Manifesto in 1958.

The real bigots stayed in the democrat party where they belonged.

KKK Grand Wizard, U.S. Senator and Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd.

Reactions: AC2020
Thurmond was an early day bigot.
and didn't choose to remain in the democrat party
What is an "early day" bigot? lol, come on, you are struggling to just admit the truth here. Thurmond was a bigot. Period.

And you are right, he didn't choose to remain in the Democratic Party and there are reasons for that. His bigotry being one. He could have "chosen" to join the party of Lincoln very early in his political career but he didn't. Only when the Democratic Party and Republican Party changed did Thurmond become a Republican. And he definitely never became a Lincoln Republican.

Of course it was championed by liberals. Liberals in both parties along with moderates too. Signed by a liberal President who angered his fellow conservative Southern Democrats, who thought he was going to be a President in their camp.

Anyone who claims otherwise just doesn't know their political history.
Yea Democrats care so much about the black community they are arguably worse off today than they were before Democrats decided to care so much.

Yea Democrats care so much about the black community they are arguably worse off today than they were before Democrats decided to care so much.
Many black Americans (indeed a firm majority) would disagree with this assessment from you. Indeed, they often do. You just don't listen to them.

From memory: If we get this legislation passed, we'll have n****** voting Democratic for the next 200 years. LBJ.

I used to sit on the porch swing in southeast Lawton with the original Whitney Houston. At 5:30 we greeted her father as he came home from work. Black fathers all up and down the block came home from work. Then we got LBJ's Great Society and War on Poverty. Reparations. Young women now have babies for welfare and fathers abandoned the coup.

Yea the black community is doing so well after over 60 years of Democrats caring so much.
Again, many black Americans (indeed a firm majority) would say they are much better off than they were in the 1950s and 1960s, and even before that.

They also continue to support the Democratic Party by overwhelming majorities. I guess you think they are all wrong though, right?

From memory: If we get this legislation passed, we'll have n****** voting Democratic for the next 200 years. LBJ.
Only problem with your memory here is that it can't be proven LBJ ever said this. Indeed, many people say he never did.

With that said, LBJ was definitely no saint. And he used the n-word, as did other Democrats and Republicans of his time. But when it came to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, LBJ was right.

Do you support the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

Again, many black Americans (indeed a firm majority) would say they are much better off than they were in the 1950s and 1960s, and even before that.

They also continue to support the Democratic Party by overwhelming majorities. I guess you think they are all wrong though, right?
In some ways the black community is better off and in some ways they are worse off. IMO the policies Democrats have implemented over the years have trapped millions in a never ending cycle of poverty and crime purely for the benefit of Democrats. LBJ own words lend credibility to that opinion. Trillions of tax payer dollars, both present and future, have been spent with the only goal of Democrats being to create a loyal voting block for the Democrat party. Maybe it's just me but for that kind of money and supposed "caring so much abut the black community" I expect far better results. Democrats have convinced the black community they are victims and can not compete without special government provided advantages. IMO that is not only not true, it's a travesty.
Imagine a child growing up in this country and being told daily you can not succeed in life merely because of your skin color. What kind of BS is that?

In some ways the black community is better off and in some ways they are worse off.
Now you are changing your position.

About time.

And I don't disagree with this assessment but such an assessment it isn't just limited to black Americans nor is it limited to just the policies of the Democratic Party.

IMO the policies Democrats have implemented over the years have trapped millions in a never ending cycle of poverty and crime purely for the benefit of Democrats.
What about the millions who have been freed from the cycle of poverty thinks to the policies of Democrats and even some Republicans? You just ignore them?

Do we live in a perfect country? Of course not. We still have a lot of work to do. And that is why I support policies that seek to continue to enable Americans to escape the cycle of poverty they find themselves in.

Imagine a child growing up in this country and being told daily you can not succeed in life merely because of your skin color. What kind of BS is that?
Who is told this?

Is this what you tell children over in Texas?

Now you are changing your position.
Wrong again councilor. Why do you lawyers constantly try to distort what is said to try and make your points.
Here is what I posted
What does the term arguably mean to you.
About time.

And I don't disagree with this assessment but such an assessment it isn't just limited to black Americans nor is it limited to just the policies of the Democratic Party.
Wrong again. It's the Democrat party that constantly wants to expand handouts that trapped people in poverty.
What about the millions who have been freed from the cycle of poverty thinks to the policies of Democrats and even some Republicans? You just ignore them?
We have a different definition of success. After trillions of dollars the fact we have tens of millions still trapped in poverty is a glaring example of failure IMO.
Do we live in a perfect country? Of course not. We still have a lot of work to do. And that is why I support policies that seek to continue to enable Americans to escape the cycle of poverty they find themselves in.
Interesting, you say we don't live in a perfect country when it comes to Democrat policies but when it comes to things like your expectations of things like the Founding Fathers you expectation are perfection.
The reason many are still trapped in poverty after over 60 years of these policies, is the very policies Democrats have implemented. One of the greatest fear Democrats had during the Trump era was the fact minority unemployment was dropping to historic lows and economic opportunities were improving for minorities. Democrats can't have people learning to care for themselves and become productive members of society, otherwise their voting block suffers. People don't like having the fruits of the their labor taken from them and wasted on BS.
Who is told this?

Is this what you tell children over in Texas?
We hear it everyday and have for years. Racism is the cause for the plight of the black community. Ever heard of Affirmative Action or DEI programs?

You are one of the biggest pawns on this board. I am not a Trump guy by any means but you sir voted for and still support a guy that can't do the alphabet forwards let alone backwards on a good day. There is a cult for damn sure and it lies with the MSM, DNC and minions like yourself. It's comical. In Schiff, Nancy, Swalwell, Heels Up, AOC, Bernie, etc you trust. Did you vote for Gillum? My guess is you did and were proud of it even though he was a race baiting POS that got caught for what he is Did you vote for Biden? My guess is you did and are proud of it even if he is the worst ever after Obama. Carter is off the hook. Anyone voting for anything liberal is part of a cult in these times. You people can't think for yourselves and the evidence is overwhelming. That Fetterman guy sure is a prize. No cult involved in electing him?
Tell me you're in a cult without saying you're in a cult.

Reactions: my_2cents
Here is what I posted
What does the term arguably mean to you.
Yes, which isn't the same as this:
In some ways the black community is better off and in some ways they are worse off.
Need help with the English language now?

Wrong again. It's the Democrat party that constantly wants to expand handouts that trapped people in poverty.
Not true. There are many reasons why people are trapped in a cycle of poverty. Democrats, and some Republicans, have helped millions to escape that cycle.

There is of course work still to be done. And that is why I continue to support those policies that will help these people, and not policies that only benefit the rich and powerful.

Interesting, you say we don't live in a perfect country when it comes to Democrat policies but when it comes to things like your expectations of things like the Founding Fathers you expectation are perfection.
There you go again, misrepresenting my argument.

I never stated that we must expect perfection from the founding fathers. What I said was that the founding fathers were not perfect. We can both celebrate the good they accomplished while also acknowledging where they fell short. We can always improve upon what they started as we strive to make this a more perfect Union.

Which is very similar to what I'm now saying about this topic.

We hear it everyday and have for years. Racism is the cause for the plight of the black community. Ever heard of Affirmative Action or DEI programs?
I don't hear it. And I know many black Americans who don't feel that way nor do they think such a view is being forced on them.

And Affirmation Action didn't do this either.

I mean seriously man, do you just parrot everything you hear from your right-wing propagandists? You are so predictable.

• Haha
Reactions: OUSOONER67

Yes, which isn't the same as this:

Need help with the English language now?

Not true. There are many reasons why people are trapped in a cycle of poverty. Democrats, and some Republicans, have helped millions to escape that cycle.

There is of course work still to be done. And that is why I continue to support those policies that will help these people, and not policies that only benefit the rich and powerful.

There you go again, misrepresenting my argument.

I never stated that we must expect perfection from the founding fathers. What I said was that the founding fathers were not perfect. We can both celebrate the good they accomplished while also acknowledging where they fell short. We can always improve upon what they started as we strive to make this a more perfect Union.

Which is very similar to what I'm now saying about this topic.

I don't hear it. And I know many black Americans who don't feel that way nor do they think such a view is being forced on them.

And Affirmation Action didn't do this either.

I mean seriously man, do you just parrot everything you hear from your right-wing propagandists? You are so predictable.

LMAO you sure love your revisionist history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT