ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith show 1/30

Fix’s opponents are doing everything they can to keep it close. If he wants more points he is going to have to open up and be willing to give up some points.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
John jokingly applauds Carter for getting over .500 on the season. Needs to finish that match when he’s up 12-1.
John still mad about the guy kicking Carter at the end of the match. Thought the guy should have been DQ’d. Warn John or fine him, but taking away a point is for sissies.

VV still a freshman. Needs a go to takedown. Seems a little immature offensively. He is better than both of the guys he wrestled this past weekend. Effort is there. Does something extra everyday. Needs to start working extra with the intent of kicking someone’s ass.

John disappointed with G vs UNI. Not finishing shots. Effort was there. Everyone he wrestles is a battle. Ranked or unranked. He needs to will himself to beat people.

Wyatt Sheets pinned a guy that beat Wittlake last year. Maybe pressing him to shoot more isn’t the best thing. John called him out last week. 6th year guy, what are you here for? Carr is scared of Wyatt. But Wyatt can’t score against him. No fear and competed.

Plott wrestled well. John really wanted a MD vs ISU. Plott has the most natural shot on the team with his single leg. Fix has a couple of really good shots too. UNI guy is a thorn in the side of Plott. Pinned Plott lasted year. Plott is a hard worker. You see the extra and why he wins. Reward yourself with the winning by doing the extra.

Last edited:
Surber beat Voelker 2-1. John high on Voelker. Did things against Voelker he didn’t do last year.
Bastida could be the national champion this year. This match could have been really tight. John pleased with Luke’s effort. Said it was a stinger.

Michigan stream on Rokfin Friday. Michigan a lot of tough matchups. Mizzou has 4 number 1s according to Rex. John is surprised. Rex says 3. John says are you sure? Rex says well at least 2. 🤣

Surber beat Voelker 2-1. John high on Voelker. Did things against Voelker he didn’t do last year.
Bastida could be the national champion this year. This match could have been really tight. John pleased with Luke’s effort. Said it was a stinger.
If I was to pick 197 right now, I'd pick Bastida.

Reactions: JAY45
Michigan stream on Rokfin Friday. Michigan a lot of tough matchups. Mizzou has 4 number 1s according to Rex. John is surprised. Rex says 3. John says are you sure? Rex says well at least 2. 🤣
Does Rex even follow the sport? I understand he knows something about baseball but thats not the same. ;_;

Reactions: bwel9339
Thanks for the rundown!!! John is such a refreshing voice when he talks about the team. Just completely honest.

Plott wrestled well. John really wanted a MD vs ISU. Plott has the most natural shot on the team with his single leg. Fix has a couple of really good shots too. UNI guy is a thorn in the side of Plott. Pinned Plott lasted year. Plott is a hard worker. You see the extra and why he wins. Reward yourself with the winning by doing the extra.
Thanks for the synopsis Turfpoke! This is great for those of us that don't have OSU Max but still want to hear the going-ons.

Thanks for the rundown!!! John is such a refreshing voice when he talks about the team. Just completely honest.
I too appreciate that John is being more bluntly honest this year. Things like saying Carter is doing little league stuff and Vic needs to try to kick somebody's ass and Daton needs to be okay with giving up some points. It is refreshing.

I dont see any humor in how the team is wrestling this year.
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like he was trying to be funny.

I think the team competed hard last weekend for the most part, Wyatt included. An encouraging sign. But there's no way Carr is scared of him or any wrestler. Maybe Brock Lesnar, but that's about it.

Thanks for the synopsis Turfpoke! This is great for those of us that don't have OSU Max but still want to hear the going-ons.
Download the KSPI app. It is free. I normally forget that the show is on Mondays.

Two things. John is trying to build Wyatt’s confidence. Or, there has been a time where Wyatt has done something that made Carr uncomfortable and he didn’t like it. And Carr doesn’t want to feel that again. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Two things. John is trying to build Wyatt’s confidence. Or, there has been a time where Wyatt has done something that made Carr uncomfortable and he didn’t like. And Carr doesn’t want to feel that again. Just my two cents.
I remember Nationals in Kansas City and Shane Roller Oklahoma State was wrestling Minnesota's 157 for 3rd place. The Minnesota wrestler was defending champion Luke Becker . I over heard Minnesota fans saying that this Minnesota wrestler was very concerned (fear) about Roller and his funk and pinning ability. Roller pinned the Minnesota kid to take 3rd place with a snake. Wyatt is not near that level of dangerous but he did pin the UNI guy.

What is wired is that Wyatt used to be really tough on top and guys didn’t want to get under him if they could help it but we haven’t see that riding ability this season. Wonder if his knee injury and jump in weight class is culprit.

What is wired is that Wyatt used to be really tough on top and guys didn’t want to get under him if they could help it but we haven’t see that riding ability this season. Wonder if his knee injury and jump in weight class is culprit.
I have wondered the same thing. I couldn't wait until Sheets would get the top position because I knew that he would stretch them out and get several cheap tilts.
Didn't Sheets beat Carr in their freshmen year? My foggy memory seems to remember a Sheet's victory.

I have wondered the same thing. I couldn't wait until Sheets would get the top position because I knew that he would stretch them out and get several cheap tilts.
Didn't Sheets beat Carr in their freshmen year? My foggy memory seems to remember a Sheet's victory.
No. Carr has 3 career losses Mocco as a RS and Deakin and Willits

Reactions: skylinepoke
Intermat just updated their Rankings.
Mastro is no longer appearing at 125.

The reason Wyatt/Carr matches are close is because Wyatt spends most of the time wrestling from his knees. That obviously makes it very difficult to score, but Carr got 2 takedowns in the 1st period anyway. And unlike AJ Ferrari, Wyatt rarely shoots when he's on his knees.

It makes sense, it negates Carr's quickness and usually leads to low scoring matches. And folkstyle rules allow it. You wouldn't get away with that in freestyle. Dake use to try a 3 pt stance (not even a knee) to stop Burrough's double leg and the ref would immediately warn him.

Wish we knew more. If it’s something personal then that’s one thing and I can respect that. Otherwise not sure why it was be private. John indicated that it wasn’t his place to say. He’s a solid wrestler with a ton of upside. Would love to see him come back fresh. Of course he’s had a lot of struggles the last two years but it’s not worth losing out on his talent because of it.

Reactions: driad
Maybe Mastro read this forum and decided to leave.

In all seriousness you gotta wonder what's happened. Is he leaving Stilly? Did the Mastro zoo get out of control? Is Travis staying?

Maybe Mastro read this forum and decided to leave.

In all seriousness you gotta wonder what's happened. Is he leaving Stilly? Did the Mastro zoo get out of control? Is Travis staying?
Maybe he decided cutting weight wasn’t for him. 133, is he going to beat Daton? 141, is he going to beat Carter Young? Not a whole lot of options.

If it's weight related, Mastro could sit out this year, RS next year, and then compete for 133 his final 2 years. His competition would likely be Cael Hughes.

Reactions: JAY45
From what I saw at Ironman Cael looks big for 132. Not the same big fame as like Daton, but he looks to be on the taller side of the weight and filled out from my observation. I thought when watching him he will probably grow into 141 after a year in the room. Originally, I was hoping he would stay on the smaller side and be in the mix at 125 for us, but I don't see that now. Wonder if Carter would take the 133 spot once Daton leaves. But if he takes a RS he might end up being a solid 141.

Hey, lets be mindful that this is a college kid that may be fighting an illness instead of attitude. These guys are still kids who train harder than anyone can imagine. I hope when he comes back he is better than ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT