ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith Retires

Nobody cares about Beric, kid averages 7 months at each high school, Norman won’t be his last stop, stop chasing, go away.

Meanwhile, Congrats to coach Smith a legacy in his own right, glad he had one last ride to coach some finalists this year.
😭😭

A couple of obvious things to point out…

1) Congrats to John, one of America's greatest wrestlers, and coaches. Just an exemplary career both as an athlete and a coach.

2) He never beat me in high school. That’s a historical fact. I think it’s been weighing heavy on his mind all these years, and probably the reason he’s retiring now. It’s just been too much and came to a head recently.

1) Congrats to John, one of America's greatest wrestlers, and coaches. Just an exemplary career both as an athlete and a coach.

2) He never beat me in high school. That’s a historical fact. I think it’s been weighing heavy on his mind all these years, and probably the reason he’s retiring now. It’s just been too much and came to a head recently.
No doubt! 🤣

Thought the smart guys on this board would know but I had assumed the job was Coleman Scott's , as why else would he leave UNC's head coaching position. If not him, then Chad is going to do a national search? Must only be 4 or 5 candidates worthy and who have earned a top 3 job in the sport (we are still top 3 aren't we?). Help me out.
Supposedly the state has a law where state schools HAVE to wait up to 5 days before announcing the HC.

There’s no reason to not think it’s Scott, unless they were to pull some miracle…

Supposedly the state has a law where state schools HAVE to wait up to 5 days before announcing the HC.

There’s no reason to not think it’s Scott, unless they were to pull some miracle…
Correct. Jobs have to be posted for 5 days before they can be filled, even internal ones. FWIW, OSU and John have scheduled a PC for Monday, which would be 5 days…,doesn’t mean they’ll announce Coleman then, as they may make it about John - which would be fine

Correct. Jobs have to be posted for 5 days before they can be filled, even internal ones. FWIW, OSU and John have scheduled a PC for Monday, which would be 5 days…,doesn’t mean they’ll announce Coleman then, as they may make it about John - which would be fine
I could see John wanting to do that though. Personally passing that torch publicly.

Making it all about John isn’t his way.

Im hoping it’s Coleman, but I strongly believe he needs to bring in a strong support staff. Cael doesn’t do it on his own it’s Cunningham who I believe is the brains of the operation.

Well another interesting offseason awaits, lol. Who’s coming, who’s going, what role if any will John play.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Well another interesting offseason awaits, lol. Who’s coming, who’s going, what role if any will John play.
That’s a good question about John’s role moving forward. Is he going to retain any sort of special position with the program or is he completely done. I would like to see him attached to the program at any capacity. His name still holds much weight in the wrestling world.

Im hoping it’s Coleman, but I strongly believe he needs to bring in a strong support staff. Cael doesn’t do it on his own it’s Cunningham who I believe is the brains of the operation.
nah. he's not. They all do a lot together.

Cael

Chief recruiter. Is truly passionate about it and loves the work it takes. He's also the "wizard" of the room. Technique, scramble answers come from him. The absolute biggest thing he does? He sets the culture. He values the work being more fun than anything else and he sets that tone from the way he coaches. He also demands complete dedication and self-motivation. It's not a rah-rah team, there aren't functions where the entire team gets together on a regular basis. Guys hang out with each other, but that's on their own decision, not forced.

Casey

He's the room enforcer. Really takes a lot of pride in the one-on-one relationships with guys. Excellent at technique and is also the top/bottom guru.

Cody

Runs/schedules the practices. He's the nuts and bolts of the operations side. He was a premed major and focuses on the when/what/how of training.

Jimmy Kennedy

Looks like he's in charge of the lightweights. Guys love the one-on-ones with him.

One of the biggest things with these guys is they do a TON of one-on-ones. All day, close to every day. Cael, Casey and Jimmy wrestle every day in practice, sometimes 8 hours a day between one-on-ones, RTC practice and college.

Good move...now to get the right guy.

Iz Coleman. I just hope John takes the time he has now to fundraise. That would be the absolute greatest thing he could do for the program.

He never even scored on me- in high school, college, or internationally. The poor guy has a lot of demons like that, I am sure. :)

I, Jimmy Ober, put my name in the running, Between John and myself we have 5 National Championships coaching experience and 6 world titles on the mat!!! Impressive credentials if you ask me
I knew there was a reason that I was in awe of you and your posts.

I remember the First year I did Wrestling, I noticed John Smith and Cory Baze were the 2 hardest workers in the room, Funny story that year we took 2 Classes Together, So I gave him a ride, I did not know who he was, just that he was at Practice everyday, and like I said noticed his work ethic,It was right when wrestloffs started, so I asked him do you think you have a chance to make the team? He gave me a long stare and told me, he would make the team and that he was 29-3 as a Freshman, So one of the first things I asked him was if he would make the Team and he winds up the greatest of all time. I really don't tak about private conversations I had with other people and I hope he does not get mad, but it seems harmless and it was in 1984-85 so about 40 years ago, so I thought it would be okay, it shows how ignorant I was at that time LOL

Is there a way DC could become a part of the new staff? Think he would be excellent as a part of the recruiting effort, the PR parts of the program including fundraising and also as a coach and workout partner for the upper weights.

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
Is there a way DC could become a part of the new staff? Think he would be excellent as a part of the recruiting effort, the PR parts of the program including fundraising and also as a coach and workout partner for the upper weights.
No. Making way too much money coaching AKA and commentating.

Still no announcement on Coleman which I have to assume is still just a matter of giving John his due w/ his retirement. The main thing I'm waiting for is the announcement of who Coleman is bringing in! I know it will be someone that will add to the program in the room but I'd also love for it to be someone that adds to the growing excitement we're seeing around the program right now. I really want those ticket sales to keep right on climbing year after year!

Still no announcement on Coleman which I have to assume is still just a matter of giving John his due w/ his retirement. The main thing I'm waiting for is the announcement of who Coleman is bringing in! I know it will be someone that will add to the program in the room but I'd also love for it to be someone that adds to the growing excitement we're seeing around the program right now. I really want those ticket sales to keep right on climbing year after year!
I believe there is a very small list of coaches who would check every box. The most important attributes should be a coach who has proven to be able to develop, motivate and recruit extremely well. In a perfect world I would want Jordan Burroughs to come in as a assistant. Even though he isn't proven as a coach, his name would hopefully be enough to get consistently high recruits YOY. And you also have him on the RTC.

I was talking with a buddy and he made a good point. Wrestling is cyclical and PSU is at the top right now. It appears that these dynasty teams are followed by hiring a Gold Medalist? Gable at Iowa 3 years after his Olympic Gold, John Smith the year of his second Gold and Sanderson 4 years after his Gold.

So, it would be great if he brought an Olympic celebrity.

I was talking with a buddy and he made a good point. Wrestling is cyclical and PSU is at the top right now. It appears that these dynasty teams are followed by hiring a Gold Medalist? Gable at Iowa 3 years after his Olympic Gold, John Smith the year of his second Gold and Sanderson 4 years after his Gold.

So, it would be great if he brought an Olympic celebrity.
Maybe they'll hold off until after the summer Olympics then. See who places where and make an offer.

I really don’t think there’s any question that Coleman will be the next HC, why else would he have left a head coaching position at a growing program. I definitely think there needs to be a huge splash with the hiring of an assistant though. It’s a bonus if they have an Olympic medal to go along with that.

Chad mentioned in the press conference that Coleman was at the Olympic Trials this week and therefore it would probably be next week before there any announcements regarding the head coaching position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT