ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Smith to redshirt this year

All of the above are good points. PSU has raised the bar and it will have to be matched. Agreed that our athletic dept as a whole keeps things very quite.

A couple of things that I have noticed the last few months: (1) there have been a couple of mentions on orange power about rumors of a new wrestling facility east of GIA, (2) the OSU Foundation currently has an open fundraiser for a "wrestling facility renovation fund". With Soccer and Equestrian facilities almost finished and the baseball facility close to being a go, I hope wrestling will be the next priority.

This video is from November 2013 when Flo's Mark Bader visited OSU. Zack gives him a cool tour of the wrestling room. Around the 4:50 mark, Zack talks about the room being expanded from 3 mats to 5 1/2 mats, with the construction to start within a year. Obviously plans changed, but it would be nice if they modernized the room.

Link:
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/725246-the-oklahoma-state-wrestling-room#.WefQTmiPLIU

To clarify, all reports indicate Preston is still in Stillwater and around the team. However, I always ask every team for a projected lineup to sus out weight changes and redshirts. I wasn't overly surprised when I got Oklahoma State's back with no Joe Smith, but 184 was Keegan Moore, 197 Andrew Marsden, and Derek White was listed at 285 along with Ethan Andersen. No Weigel. Usually, schools will pass notes along with guys they expect back for the second semester, but even after I called to confirm, I couldn't get any further information. It seems like whatever is happening is a recent development, but your guess is as good as mine right now.
Weigel upper body injury hopefully he can return for the 2nd half of the year

Heal up quickly Preston!

I was going to post this Tuesday, but I didn't want to add further speculation about a possible injury being the reason Preston was missing from the lineup. If west2east is correct and it is due to injury, does anyone know if Preston might qualify for a 6th year? As I understand the rule, you need to miss the majority of 2 separate seasons and then you apply to the NCAA for a 6th year. Preston missed almost all of his true freshman year due to injury so if he isn't able to come back this year then it seems he might qualify.

Just throwing it out there, obviously the best scenario is he recovers this year and wrestles.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think White can be a good heavyweight. He struggled to make 197 last year and it really messed with his condition and most of all his mind. Hard to focus when you are hungry 100% of the time. Every time he wrestled HWT they had him plan for 197 and then made the change last minute. He has been on an eating and lifting plan since Big 12s ended and is in much better place mentally and physically. Hopefully that translates well on the mat. Time will tell.

I could be wrong but I think White can be a good heavyweight. He struggled to make 197 last year and it really messed with his condition and most of all his mind. Hard to focus when you are hungry 100% of the time. Every time he wrestled HWT they had him plan for 197 and then made the change last minute. He has been on an eating and lifting plan since Big 12s ended and is in much better place mentally and physically. Hopefully that translates well on the mat. Time will tell.

Cbond, I was wondering if you could share some info on a couple of things. No problem if you cannot.

- Derek looked pretty big in the recent Flo videos. If I had to guess, I'd say around 230 or so. Can you tell us what his weight range is these days?

- Do you know why he isn't listed as being certified in Trackwrestling yet? There is usually no reason to not certify as a heavyweight and I wouldn't think the coaches would have him certify at 197 after bulking up all off season.

Marsden has certified at 184

That makes sense since Preston will hopefully be back this year. I copied the Trackwrestling info below so everyone can see what we have been referring to. Track doesn't show you the details like the actual certification weight or the weight loss plan unless you are authorized. Instead, the public can see what weight class a wrestler made while certifying. Some examples. Picc weighed between 133.1 and 141, but we know he will be at 125. Jonce weighed between 165.1 and 174, so he probably certified at 157 because 149 might be tough (although it's certainly possible). Andrew weighed in over 197 but apparently certified at 184. And Derek and Wyatt have not certified yet.
* Disclaimer: this is my understanding, others can correct me if wrong or provide more info.

Name / Weight Class
Daton Fix / 133
Gary Wayne Harding / 133
Jet Taylor / 133
Donald Cannon / 141
Elijah Hale / 141
Andrew Nieman / 141
Nicholas Piccininni / 141
Josh Solomon / 141
Kaid Brock / 149
Michael Magaldo / 149
Kaden Gfeller / 157
Dean Heil / 157
Boo Lewallen / 157
Tyler Dieringer / 165
Geordan Martinez / 165
Tristan Moran / 165
Joseph Smith / 165
Jonce Blaylock / 174
Dalton Moran / 174
Chandler Rogers / 174
Hestin Lamons / 184
Jacobe Smith / 184
Christian Bahl / 197
Austin Harris / 197
Bear Hughes / 197
Keegan Moore / 197
Ethan Andersen / 285
Blake Andrews / 285
Andrew Marsden / 285
Cornelius Putnam / 285
Preston Weigel / 285
Wyatt Sheets / Not certified yet
Derek White / Not certified yet

Cbond, I was wondering if you could share some info on a couple of things. No problem if you cannot.

- Derek looked pretty big in the recent Flo videos. If I had to guess, I'd say around 230 or so. Can you tell us what his weight range is these days?

- Do you know why he isn't listed as being certified in Trackwrestling yet? There is usually no reason to not certify as a heavyweight and I wouldn't think the coaches would have him certify at 197 after bulking up all off season.
Derek is around 240-245 right now. He hasn't certified because they wanted to try and get him certified to be eligible for 197. I think he's too big now to pull that off but might be wrong.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Derek is around 240-245 right now. He hasn't certified because they wanted to try and get him certified to be eligible for 197. I think he's too big now to pull that off but might be wrong.

Wow, 240, that's good to hear.

I think the coaches should forget about him certifying at 197, he needs to gain weight now not lose it. If they find out that Preston will be out the whole year, let Keegan and Andrew wrestle off for 184 with the loser going up to 197.

Reactions: cbond and osu2082
My take on the comments and the lineup sent to OkieSpladle is that Tristan and Geo will compete for the 149 spot and that Wyatt and Jonce will both get plenty of matches in at 157 before a starter is selected. The part I'm not clear on is if Boo will also compete for 149.

My take on the comments and the lineup sent to OkieSpladle is that Tristan and Geo will compete for the 149 spot and that Wyatt and Jonce will both get plenty of matches in at 157 before a starter is selected. The part I'm not clear on is if Boo will also compete for 149.
I've been puzzling over it too. With Lewallen making 65 kg (143.3 pounds) for Under 23 trials and being the alternate (if McKenna can't go and he did get hurt the other day, though it was reportedly not serious, Boo would be next man up) maybe he is still a 141 despite what the roster says. Freestyle and folk weigh-in differences are fair to note, but making a weight almost six pounds lower than 149 casts at least some doubt on his size. For comparison, McKenna is going 141 (if he can beat Hayes which he did once so far), Eierman 141, McCrystal 141 if he can beat Chad Red, Brock Zacherl 141. So, all the best guys in the U23 trials at 65 kg are going 141. I'm sure none of us are surprised Lewallen isn't big, but maybe he hasn't been able to put on the size. I don't know, just spit-balling. You would expect him to at least try 149 this year, especially with the moves expected for next year when Fix hits the lineup. The good news is, the season is almost here so I guess we'll find out!

I've been puzzling over it too. With Lewallen making 65 kg (143.3 pounds) for Under 23 trials and being the alternate (if McKenna can't go and he did get hurt the other day, though it was reportedly not serious, Boo would be next man up) maybe he is still a 141 despite what the roster says. Freestyle and folk weigh-in differences are fair to note, but making a weight almost six pounds lower than 149 casts at least some doubt on his size. For comparison, McKenna is going 141 (if he can beat Hayes which he did once so far), Eierman 141, McCrystal 141 if he can beat Chad Red, Brock Zacherl 141. So, all the best guys in the U23 trials at 65 kg are going 141. I'm sure none of us are surprised Lewallen isn't big, but maybe he hasn't been able to put on the size. I don't know, just spit-balling. You would expect him to at least try 149 this year, especially with the moves expected for next year when Fix hits the lineup. The good news is, the season is almost here so I guess we'll find out!

I agree. I posted in another thread that I would have felt better if Boo was at 70 kg for U23s (with the 149s like Collica, Lavion Mayes and Steve Bleise). My guess is that he certified at 141 (along with Mike Magaldo) but will compete at 149. There are 1 or 2 posters on here that know Boo. Based on their posts I get the feeling he was a small 141 last year that could have made 133 with a good sized cut and this year he is a big 141 but a little small for 149.

I agree. I posted in another thread that I would have felt better if Boo was at 70 kg for U23s (with the 149s like Collica, Lavion Mayes and Steve Bleise). My guess is that he certified at 141 (along with Mike Magaldo) but will compete at 149. There are 1 or 2 posters on here that know Boo. Based on their posts I get the feeling he was a small 141 last year that could have made 133 with a good sized cut and this year he is a big 141 but a little small for 149.
keep lifting, Boo. Have an extra steak....

Boo did not look like a small 141 at U23's. I don't know what his walking around weight is or how tough the cut is to 141 but I think he can be just fine size wise as a 149.

I also think that is the weight he needs to be focused on building towards regardless of what shakes out this year.

That makes sense since Preston will hopefully be back this year. I copied the Trackwrestling info below so everyone can see what we have been referring to. Track doesn't show you the details like the actual certification weight or the weight loss plan unless you are authorized. Instead, the public can see what weight class a wrestler made while certifying. Some examples. Picc weighed between 133.1 and 141, but we know he will be at 125. Jonce weighed between 165.1 and 174, so he probably certified at 157 because 149 might be tough (although it's certainly possible). Andrew weighed in over 197 but apparently certified at 184. And Derek and Wyatt have not certified yet.
* Disclaimer: this is my understanding, others can correct me if wrong or provide more info.

Name / Weight Class
Daton Fix / 133
Gary Wayne Harding / 133
Jet Taylor / 133
Donald Cannon / 141
Elijah Hale / 141
Andrew Nieman / 141
Nicholas Piccininni / 141
Josh Solomon / 141
Kaid Brock / 149
Michael Magaldo / 149
Kaden Gfeller / 157
Dean Heil / 157
Boo Lewallen / 157
Tyler Dieringer / 165
Geordan Martinez / 165
Tristan Moran / 165
Joseph Smith / 165
Jonce Blaylock / 174
Dalton Moran / 174
Chandler Rogers / 174
Hestin Lamons / 184
Jacobe Smith / 184
Christian Bahl / 197
Austin Harris / 197
Bear Hughes / 197
Keegan Moore / 197
Ethan Andersen / 285
Blake Andrews / 285
Andrew Marsden / 285
Cornelius Putnam / 285
Preston Weigel / 285
Wyatt Sheets / Not certified yet
Derek White / Not certified yet

Wyatt and Derek have certified. Again, actual cert weights aren't provided. Wyatt weighed between 157.1 and 165.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT