ADVERTISEMENT

Jo Jo

Sep 3, 2014
I don't want his shirt pulled. I want to see him redshirt, improve his mat wrestlinv, clean up his attacks, and mature more. He's special. His cross ankle pick is just dirty!

Even though I'm an Iowa fan, he's been a favorite of mine to watch for 3-4 years and will root for him to do well. Marsteller can hopefully do well enough to not make it worth it to pull it

Flo is calling him Jo Jo. Maybe he likes it. Maybe Obrebo or Mike can get an exclusive interview with John Smith about the team's progress and ask him about it.

i agree with keeping him in redshirt. his mat wrestling needs to get better especially on bottom. he struggled a little with lavalle (who is not an elite top wrestler) and he seems to not want to take bottom in some of his matches which makes it seems as though he is not as confident in that area. i'm sure he will improve on it.

Flo is calling him Jo Jo. Maybe he likes it. Maybe Obrebo or Mike can get an exclusive interview with John Smith about the team's progress and ask him about it.
Doubtful that oberebo or Togneto gets an exclusive interview with John and if they did they would have to have John's permission to leak any information. However, in a non-exclusive interview with John in Las Vegas he indicated that he will put the best man on the mat regardless if he is a senior or a true freshman and made it clear that he thinks we can win it this year. Oberebo,Togneto, Earl G and two unnamed others were told this. IfJohn does not feel Joe will make a significant difference in team scoring at nationals then he will redshirt and improve for next year. This also depends upon Chance Marsteller getting his weight under control.

I put Hawk fans calling Joe Smith Jo Jo in the same category as them calling us "Okie State". In both instances they are making an effort even if innocently, downplaying the importance of both Joe and the program. As far as what Joe likes to be called I have no idea and I am sure in the past family called him Jo Jo. He may like it or not but just because Flo or Willie calls him Jo Jo does not elevate it to the status of what he should be called. In the future due to his wrestling ability he will dictate what he wants to be called. The Iowa fan who called him Jo Jo was very complimentary of him and probably just calling him what he read on Flo. I do not know of any OKLAHOMA State fans who refer to him as Jo Jo.

I thought he went by Jo Jo also. What should we be calling him? Big J? Slick J? Jo? Joe? LAGS - Latest and greatest Smith?
He does look to be special and coming from his heritage, that is saying a lot.

I just don't think it is worth it to send him out there this year but we will find out at the Scuffle. I saw somebody saying they think he's close to maxed out in terms of his ability, that is just ludicrous. He has so much room for improvement in all 3 positions, especially bottom.

I said screw Midlands this year and just going to the Scuffle; should be a great one

I just don't think it is worth it to send him out there this year but we will find out at the Scuffle. I saw somebody saying they think he's close to maxed out in terms of his ability, that is just ludicrous. He has so much room for improvement in all 3 positions, especially bottom.

I said screw Midlands this year and just going to the Scuffle; should be a great one
Luckily, Earl G and I are going to the Scuffle and you are correct that a lot will be determined by not only Joe's record there but also others. It should be great to see.

Totally agree about his very high ceiling. The leaps and improvement he has made over the last 2+ years from the outside seem pretty incredible and he still looks a little raw.

I think he is a kid who is just entering his best wrestling and will get better each week much like AD his FR year and so I am very much in favor of pulling his RS. I think he has AA potential this year.

Luckily, Earl G and I are going to the Scuffle and you are correct that a lot will be determined by not only Joe's record there but also others. It should be great to see.
I have changed my mind of his RS being pulled, I would love a Team NC but I have a feeling Joe could be in the running after his RS year. I'm still hoping Chance gets it together this season and we will still be in the running. PSU looks really good with a lot of horse power this season and it might not make a difference who is in the lineup!

Reactions: DayHawk18
I have changed my mind of his RS being pulled, I would love a Team NC but I have a feeling Joe could be in the running after his RS year. I'm still hoping Chance gets it together this season and we will still be in the running. PSU looks really good with a lot of horse power this season and it might not make a difference who is in the lineup!
Well the whole deal is off if Tognetti has changed his mind. How do you do that anyway Tognetti. Your mind is a moving target. :) However, It will be a tough decision although I am slightly more optimistic than you about our chances this year. If we were to lose to Penn State this year by 3-4 points than every body would be second guessing John about pulling Joe's redshirt. As a parent I am sure John would like to see Joe redshirt and have a chance to be a four timer like his uncle. On the other hand IF Chance does not show improvement by and during the Southern Scuffle then he has to make a big decision.

Reactions: mike tognetti
Him being a Wrestler AND from the family he's from...there is no doubt that they won't run from IMar. He most likely wants to be an undefeated, 4 Xer; a redshirt won't guarantee that, but it will help.

Pull the shirt! Joe Smith is the best 157lb wrestler at OSU and gives you the best opportunity for a NC.

Reactions: jon_osu
I wouldn't pull his shirt unless I thought he was going to score more than 10 points more than Chance. I think the battle is for 2nd (Penn State is too good this year) and I would rather see him have a very real chance at a title as a freshman

I wouldn't pull his shirt unless I thought he was going to score more than 10 points more than Chance. I think the battle is for 2nd (Penn State is too good this year) and I would rather see him have a very real chance at a title as a freshman
Still not sure whether I want him pulled out of redshirt but the bar you set is low based on Chance Marsteller's performance since being at Oklahoma State. At one point last year Chance was the 4th or 5th best choice at 157 and although he did go up in weight and perform better particularly at the scuffle, his overall body of work is not good. It was embarrassing to watch at Iowa in person and I have to readily admit it was not only Iowa fans who were yelling at him to stand up and get to the center of the mat and wrestle. If he can not make the cut to157 and he has yet shown that he can successfully how many "chances" do we or rather John give him?

Honestly, I think Joe stays a redshirt this year, IF Marsteller doesn't pan out, Blees is right there ready to go. I am almost certain any decision will not come until after scuffle.

Well the whole deal is off if Tognetti has changed his mind. How do you do that anyway Tognetti. Your mind is a moving target. :) However, It will be a tough decision although I am slightly more optimistic than you about our chances this year. If we were to lose to Penn State this year by 3-4 points than every body would be second guessing John about pulling Joe's redshirt. As a parent I am sure John would like to see Joe redshirt and have a chance to be a four timer like his uncle. On the other hand IF Chance does not show improvement by and during the Southern Scuffle then he has to make a big decision.

"As a parent I am sure John would like to see Joe redshirt and have a chance to be a four timer like his uncle."

I hope "parent" and "coach are interchangeable here"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT