ADVERTISEMENT

Ivan Yarygin

Day 1 results:
Alli Ragan (59 kg) wins silver
Frank Molinaro (70 kg) wins bronze
Frank Perrelli (57 kg) and Tony Ramos (61 kg) drop their bronze medal matches and finish 5th
Victoria Anthony (50 kg) and Cory Clark (61 kg) don't reach the medal round

Latest news out of Russia is Geduev won't compete. All countries are limited to 3 athletes per weight in men's freestyle because it is a seeding tournament for UWW now. That meant Russia had to pare down their list. Geduev is moving up a weight and hasn't wrestled much since Rio so he didn't make the cut.

Brackets are up dont see Alex at 79kg

I don't see him either. And not surprisingly, there is no info from the Cowboy Wrestling twitter account or the Cowboy RTC twitter account.

BTW, if the plan was for the new Cowboy RTC twitter account to generate awareness and excitement about our RTC, it's not working. Very few tweets regarding freestyle updates and happenings. The last tweet was actually a retweet about AJ Ferrari winning a HS folkstyle tournament, which really makes no sense. We badly need a business person involved with the team/program that understands marketing and fundraising.

Disappointing to hear about Alex. He was working hard and training at the OTC to prepare for this event and was originally listed. I wonder what happened.

Josh Kindig drops his first match by tech 12-1 to Russia. He's up at 65 kg now with the new same day weigh-ins (plus 2 kg for this tournament so 67 kg). Trackwrestling is streaming.

Tamyra Stock just won gold at 68 kg. She is the first American to win consecutive Yarygin titles. Congrats Tamyra!

Kyle Dake is in the finals at 79 kg. Nick Gwiazdowski and Zach Rey go for bronze at 125 kg. Bobby Telford (125 kg), Logan Stieber, Jayson Ness, Josh Kindig (all 65 kg), and Haley Augello (53 kg) don't make the medal round.

Kyle Snyder (97 kg) and David Taylor (86 kg) are in the finals. Nick Heflin (92) goes for bronze. Joe Tavoso (74 kg), Travis Stefanik (86 kg), Jacob Warner (92 kg) and Nathan Burak (97 kg) do not make the medal round.

Snyder and Taylor win gold. Snyder joins Tamyra Stock in winning consecutive titles. Heflin takes 5th.

Alex didn’t wrestle due to expired passport or visa. Not sure which

Kyle Snyder tweeted that 2016 Olympic heavyweight champion Taha Akgul (TUR) will be training with the Ohio RTC for the month of February. And I'm pretty sure he isn't going on his own expense. Granted, he probably doesn't go if Snyder and Tervel aren't there, but others like Kollin Moore and their redshirt heavy Chase Singletary will benefit as well. It's just another example of how money can be used to help develop college guys and senior US athletes. You think Alex, Daton and others wouldn't like to roll around with an Olympic champ for a month?

Kyle Snyder tweeted that 2016 Olympic heavyweight champion Taha Akgul (TUR) will be training with the Ohio RTC for the month of February. And I'm pretty sure he isn't going on his own expense. Granted, he probably doesn't go if Snyder and Tervel aren't there, but others like Kollin Moore and their redshirt heavy Chase Singletary will benefit as well. It's just another example of how money can be used to help develop college guys and senior US athletes. You think Alex, Daton and others wouldn't like to roll around with an Olympic champ for a month?
I agree Wrassler17. It would be awesome to have Olympic champions in the room for a month. I had to chuckle a little when you said Daton would like to roll around with an olympic champ and the champ was Akgul. I have confidence in Daton but Akgul might be biting off more than he can chew-er-throw.:p

I agree Wrassler17. It would be awesome to have Olympic champions in the room for a month. I had to chuckle a little when you said Daton would like to roll around with an olympic champ and the champ was Akgul. I have confidence in Daton but Akgul might be biting off more than he can chew-er-throw.:p

Ok, you got me on that one. Maybe Ramonov for Daton.:)

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
I read your Monday article on the Gable Steveson / Daniel Kerkvliet match. You described how close the match was and how the size/weight difference was a key factor. You also noted that Daniel was only a junior, was longer than Gable with the bigger frame, and he could easily add more size. I found it interesting what you wrote after that.

You speculated he might not want to add that size and wrote "My only fear...with international stuff he may want to stay down at 97 KG to avoid fighting it out with Steveson the rest of his career...I have no idea what his intention is there...". I was curious why you felt that way. I mean it was Daniel's idea to bump up and challenge Gable knowing he would be giving up 30 lbs. Then he gave Gable his closest HS match ever. Why do you think with added size he would then seek to avoid him?

Last edited:
I read your Monday article on the Gable Steveson / Daniel Kerkvliet match. You described how close the match was and how the size/weight difference was a key factor. You also noted that Daniel was only a junior, was longer than Gable with the bigger frame, and he could easily add more size. I found it interesting what you wrote after that.

You speculated he might not want to add that size and wrote "My only fear...with international stuff he may want to stay down at 97 KG to avoid fighting it out with Steveson the rest of his career...I have no idea what his intention is there...". I was curious why you felt that way. I mean it was Daniel's idea to bump up and challenge Gable knowing he would be giving up 30 lbs. Then he gave Gable his closest HS match ever. Why do think with added size he would then seek to avoid him?
I'm not saying he would "seek to avoid him" like he's trying to dodge him because he's afraid of him or something. It's definitely going to be a big time college rivalry between those 2 and obviously Kerkvliet isn't afraid to go head to head with Steveson. It's understood that they're both world class guys right? Both have the potential to win multiple world titles/medals, etc....and also help Team USA in that regard to win World Titles, Medals, etc...?

They're from the same state and probably have a pretty deep connection and respect based on how the match came together, played out, etc...

I'm not in Kerkvliet's head, but with that he could go "Here's my option's. Bulk up similar to what Derek White did, get up to about 250, go full bore into trying to beat Gable Steveson, try to win NCAA titles over him, make World teams over him, etc..." If Kerkvliet chose to put on some size that's essentially what he would be deciding

Or he can go "I hung with this dude at 220, I'm going to try to keep my weight around there, not bulk up, try to beat him weighing 230 or so in folkstyle then just pull back down to 97KG where I have a better shot at winning freestyle world titles, helping our team win freestyle world titles, and not have a dogfight with one of my buddies for the rest of my freestyle career to just make the World Team when both of us have the talent to win world titles if we're at different weights"

So now you're saying that he might seek to avoid Gable for altruistic reasons, huh? My buddy and my country might benefit. Interesting perspective.

Of course the best wrestler on the planet is only 22, wrestles 97 kg, and has said publically that he intends to wrestle until he's 30. That means Daniel has to either beat Snyder or wait until 2025 before he even makes a senior world team.

I know this because Jason Bryant raised that very point when he interviewed Daniel a few months back. I also posted in the "Next Year" thread - 2 days before your article - that Daniel told Jason he intended to wrestle 97 kg internationally. Did you not see that post? Or is this another one of those "shared opinion" things?

Anybody know what Snyder’s weight runs for collegiate matches? He seems to match up strength wise and still get down to 213.8.He is a freak though.

So now you're saying that he might seek to avoid Gable for altruistic reasons, huh? My buddy and my country might benefit. Interesting perspective.

Of course the best wrestler on the planet is only 22, wrestles 97 kg, and has said publically that he intends to wrestle until he's 30. That means Daniel has to either beat Snyder or wait until 2025 before he even makes a senior world team.

I know this because Jason Bryant raised that very point when he interviewed Daniel a few months back. I also posted in the "Next Year" thread - 2 days before your article - that Daniel told Jason he intended to wrestle 97 kg internationally. Did you not see that post? Or is this another one of those "shared opinion" things?
No, I didn't see anything on the Jason Bryant article. I really don't intend to be combative and I hope that's not your intention here, but if that's you trying to take a jab at me saying I'm poaching stuff from here I can delete my account, stay off here, whatever, and just cover what I want to cover to avoid any of this. I really do just get on here to see what people may be interested in. Hence the Derek Fix interview, having our beat writer ask directly who's going to start at 84, etc...

FYI, I don't know when you posted the Jason Bryant story, but my article was written the night of the match and it takes a couple days for it to get edited and posted on the site. Very few people care about a wrestling recruiting story when OSU beats Kansas in basketball, so they waited to publish it. If some big football story breaks they may not post stuff for a week or 2 after I write it. Also it literally says "I have no idea what his intention is" when it comes to how he'll handle his weight.

You do realize that Kerkvliet is 16 and has 7 years of international wrestling with JR's and U23 before he would ever have to go up against Snyder for any world team right? Which would put Snyder at 29 and potentially about to retire based on the timeline you're saying.

And yes I could see potential that Kerkvliet would go that route as far as helping his team, etc... While also weighing the fact that it would be difficult to beat a 3 time world champ every year to make World Teams.

I'm sure you have a wrestling background. At whatever level you wrested at, coached, or have been around did you never have 2 guys on your team that were fairly even on mat and at the same weight. Then one tweener pull down to the weight below for the better of the team? It happens all the time, and with Kerkvliet it wouldn't necessarily be a big weight cut, unless he grows a lot, it would just be him trying to stay roughly where he is currently vs. bulking up for college wrestling.

Wow, that's quite a bit of explaining/ defending going on right there. I posted about the Jason Bryant interview on Saturday morning in the "Next year" thread (and properly credited him). You posted in the same thread after me on Monday morning, so it's interesting that you didn't see it.

I'll be very candid, something I don't think you have been. After your first "...doth protest too much..." (Shakespeare to give credit) come clean post, I took a look at the timing of some articles. It seems there were posts not only about certain topics, but also about opinions. And the article always came afterward. Here are some:
the $$$ topic
the RTC topic
the Eli Hale transfer to UCO
the update on Kerkvliet's & Wittlake's HS season results
the opinion that we should recruit AJ Ferrari (and that he was going to Ironman)
the opinion that we should recruit Plott
the opinion that we should recruit Marcheselli

That's just an uncanny number of coincidences and shared opinions happening there.

I'm sure other members appreciate that you have access to the coaching staff and would prefer that you continue posting. As for me, I don't care, continue or stop, makes no difference to me.

No, I didn't see anything on the Jason Bryant article. I really don't intend to be combative and I hope that's not your intention here, but if that's you trying to take a jab at me saying I'm poaching stuff from here I can delete my account, stay off here, whatever, and just cover what I want to cover to avoid any of this. I really do just get on here to see what people may be interested in. Hence the Derek Fix interview, having our beat writer ask directly who's going to start at 84, etc...

FYI, I don't know when you posted the Jason Bryant story, but my article was written the night of the match and it takes a couple days for it to get edited and posted on the site. Very few people care about a wrestling recruiting story when OSU beats Kansas in basketball, so they waited to publish it. If some big football story breaks they may not post stuff for a week or 2 after I write it. Also it literally says "I have no idea what his intention is" when it comes to how he'll handle his weight.

You do realize that Kerkvliet is 16 and has 7 years of international wrestling with JR's and U23 before he would ever have to go up against Snyder for any world team right? Which would put Snyder at 29 and potentially about to retire based on the timeline you're saying.

And yes I could see potential that Kerkvliet would go that route as far as helping his team, etc... While also weighing the fact that it would be difficult to beat a 3 time world champ every year to make World Teams.

I'm sure you have a wrestling background. At whatever level you wrested at, coached, or have been around did you never have 2 guys on your team that were fairly even on mat and at the same weight. Then one tweener pull down to the weight below for the better of the team? It happens all the time, and with Kerkvliet it wouldn't necessarily be a big weight cut, unless he grows a lot, it would just be him trying to stay roughly where he is currently vs. bulking up for college wrestling.

I appreciate the articles you write on PF, and you're contributions to this site as well. I don't really care where people get their information, I'm just glad they share it with me..... : ) I think most of us feel the same way.

Wow, that's quite a bit of explaining/ defending going on right there. I posted about the Jason Bryant interview on Saturday morning in the "Next year" thread (and properly credited him). You posted in the same thread after me on Monday morning, so it's interesting that you didn't see it.

I'll be very candid, something I don't think you have been. After your first "...doth protest too much..." (Shakespeare to give credit) come clean post, I took a look at the timing of some articles. It seems there were posts not only about certain topics, but also about opinions. And the article always came afterward. Here are some:
the $$$ topic
the RTC topic
the Eli Hale transfer to UCO
the update on Kerkvliet's & Wittlake's HS season results
the opinion that we should recruit AJ Ferrari (and that he was going to Ironman)
the opinion that we should recruit Plott
the opinion that we should recruit Marcheselli

That's just an uncanny number of coincidences and shared opinions happening there.

I'm sure other members appreciate that you have access to the coaching staff and would prefer that you continue posting. As for me, I don't care, continue or stop, makes no difference to me.
Sorry, again I really didn't mean to start anything here or for this to even be some weird controversy. I feel very strange about this whole thing. Any fans of OSU wrestling I'm for and I really didn't intend for there to be any weird "thing" and hope it's ultimately not and I apologize for it becoming that if it is.

If you really want to know social media makes my job a lot easier. Go match up the twitter timelines with the same stuff you're referring to and it will line up pretty directly. Also listen to the coaches shows. If you're not in Stillwater I don't know of a way to do it, I've never been able to find it online.

The $$$ thread on here was literally a link to the story I wrote and if you look at the FLO article referenced in it they also discuss the RTC subject. Chris Perry tweeted he was going to the Ironman and discussed specifics of it on the Coaches show when he covered for John that week. I.E. some kids he was interested in, etc... which included Marchiselli, Ferrari, and some CA kid. Injuries a lot of stuff like that all gets covered on the coaches show and I just reblurb it out in a blog because for some reason they don't post it online. Other recruiting stuff is pretty straight forward. Does OSU want a local kid that won Geary and is ranked 7th in the country in his class? It's not a stretch to say that they do, which I noticed when Intermat tweeted about him winning I literally tweeted that out write before writing the article. About half the wrestling team retweeted the clip from UCO on Eli Hale then I wrote the story. Also John mentioned Eli transferring a week or so prior and talked about how good of a kid he was and all that other stuff that I had in the story. I had a really short blurb on it 3-4 weeks prior to the actual story. He just never officially announced where then after the tweet I wrote the story. Go look up my preview on the Reno Tournament. I would almost guarantee you no one posted anything on Eli Hale transferring one here over 2 months ago.

Same thing with the HS results of Ferrari, Montalvo, Kerkvliet and Wittlake. They tweeted all of that and I just packaged it into a story. I can assure you if you go look on Twitter their timeline will match no different than any threads here apparently do.

Again I apologize for whatever controversy was stirred up with all that, and it's definitely not my attention and I definitely don't harbor any ill will. This is literally the only place to get the pulse of fans that truly understand wrestling. Trust me, I've dug around on other forums and there are very few that understand it at all. Here most of you all do.

On the topic if you all as OSU fans want to be excited about AJ Ferrari. Go scroll through his twitter. Outside of a few Bo Nickal related tweets the kid and his family aren't tweeting about many schools besides OSU. I think OSU is in very, very deep with this kid.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I will agree to move on and spare everyone any further drama. Although this board could use some spicing up.

I am surprised Perry would mention HS wrestlers by name, I thought that was against NCAA rules.

Reactions: Pokes2010
Sorry, again I really didn't mean to start anything here or for this to even be some weird controversy. I feel very strange about this whole thing. Any fans of OSU wrestling I'm for and I really didn't intend for there to be any weird "thing" and hope it's ultimately not and I apologize for it becoming that if it is.

If you really want to know social media makes my job a lot easier. Go match up the twitter timelines with the same stuff you're referring to and it will line up pretty directly. Also listen to the coaches shows. If you're not in Stillwater I don't know of a way to do it, I've never been able to find it online.

The $$$ thread on here was literally a link to the story I wrote and if you look at the FLO article referenced in it they also discuss the RTC subject. Chris Perry tweeted he was going to the Ironman and discussed specifics of it on the Coaches show when he covered for John that week. I.E. some kids he was interested in, etc... which included Marchiselli, Ferrari, and some CA kid. Injuries a lot of stuff like that all gets covered on the coaches show and I just reblurb it out in a blog because for some reason they don't post it online. Other recruiting stuff is pretty straight forward. Does OSU want a local kid that won Geary and is ranked 7th in the country in his class? It's not a stretch to say that they do, which I noticed when Intermat tweeted about him winning I literally tweeted that out write before writing the article. About half the wrestling team retweeted the clip from UCO on Eli Hale then I wrote the story. Also John mentioned Eli transferring a week or so prior and talked about how good of a kid he was and all that other stuff that I had in the story. I had a really short blurb on it 3-4 weeks prior to the actual story. He just never officially announced where then after the tweet I wrote the story. Go look up my preview on the Reno Tournament. I would almost guarantee you no one posted anything on Eli Hale transferring one here over 2 months ago.

Same thing with the HS results of Ferrari, Montalvo, Kerkvliet and Wittlake. They tweeted all of that and I just packaged it into a story. I can assure you if you go look on Twitter their timeline will match no different than any threads here apparently do.

Again I apologize for whatever controversy was stirred up with all that, and it's definitely not my attention and I definitely don't harbor any ill will. This is literally the only place to get the pulse of fans that truly understand wrestling. Trust me, I've dug around on other forums and there are very few that understand it at all. Here most of you all do.

On the topic if you all as OSU fans want to be excited about AJ Ferrari. Go scroll through his twitter. Outside of a few Bo Nickal related tweets the kid and his family aren't tweeting about many schools besides OSU. I think OSU is in very, very deep with this kid.
I appreciate any information. I am unable to get the coaches show and always appreciate that information being posted. Any information on who we are recruiting is very interesting to me. 2019 recruiting information seems nonexistent since Oklahoma doesn't have standouts that year. I have seen Marcheselli who could be 197 but in the few matches I have seen him wrestle this year he might have regressed from his sophomore to junior years. Coleman is a good wrestler but he would be in Wittlakes weight class or Montalvo's. Wittlake looks to be a star and Montalvo would seem to be a little better than Coleman. I don't know of any standout that they would logically recruit. I do know that we need a 57 and a 97 this next year. I don't think there is any standout left at these weights this year. Hopefully Smith can make 57 next year if not our potential as a team will be hurt.

Reactions: Pokes2010
Fair enough. I will agree to move on and spare everyone any further drama. Although this board could use some spicing up.

I am surprised Perry would mention HS wrestlers by name, I thought that was against NCAA rules.
Works for me. I truly didn't mean any offense or to start anything with all this FWIW and I hope we can get along here.

It wasn't by name. He said something along the lines of "We've got a few local kids we're looking that it's always interesting to watch in these big tournaments" Marchiselli being the only Oklahoma kid seeded, and someone he follows on Twitter, I inferred that's who he was talking about.

Similar with the other 2

He explained how most kids they're looking at that are just sophomores since naturally JR's and SR's are all committed/signed and they just really have to make their presence known at big tournaments like that since they can't officially start talking to him. Then he said a comment about PSU having such a stranglehold on PA kids and that part of the reason they were so successful but there were some good wrestlers from "California and Texas" in the tournament. Then I went to Twitter and found the kids he was following on Twitter, which were Ferrari and Vasquez the California kid.

Reason I say this is who we "should be" looking at or "may be" looking at in the write ups is I really have no way to officially know on those. Like you said I don't think they can officially say. He could have been talking about anyone I guess, but he doesn't follow just tons of recruits on Twitter, so those were my assumptions.

Full disclosure I could be very far off on Vasquez and I'd guess they just try to get Marchiselli to walk on, but I track social media stuff pretty heavily and I really think they are pursuing Ferrari with everything they got. I'm not sure when they'll publish it, but I wrote a pretty elaborate thing over the last few weeks on the 2020 class explaining why and how OSU is already going after Ferrari and Plott and I use a bunch of Tweets to support it.

I've never been able to find the audio replays on any of those Coaches shows and if someone knows where they are I'd love to know. I seriously turn on a radio in my house just to listen to those and regurgitate what they say some of the time. Rogers injury, Weigel injury, roster for Reno, Eli Hale transfer, all came straight from that. It'd be a lot easier if I had it on a podcast or something.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
I appreciate any information. I am unable to get the coaches show and always appreciate that information being posted. Any information on who we are recruiting is very interesting to me. 2019 recruiting information seems nonexistent since Oklahoma doesn't have standouts that year. I have seen Marcheselli who could be 197 but in the few matches I have seen him wrestle this year he might have regressed from his sophomore to junior years. Coleman is a good wrestler but he would be in Wittlakes weight class or Montalvo's. Wittlake looks to be a star and Montalvo would seem to be a little better than Coleman. I don't know of any standout that they would logically recruit. I do know that we need a 57 and a 97 this next year. I don't think there is any standout left at these weights this year. Hopefully Smith can make 57 next year if not our potential as a team will be hurt.
It's incredible to me that they don't post he show anywhere online. At least that I can find. I've "broke" 3-4 stories way before any other media covered it just by listening to the show.

You can get some recruiting stuff via social media. That's really where I try to pull everything I can from and like you said naturally you can assume OSU is going to recruit the local kids, but it's really tough to know who they're going after otherwise.

I will say I've watched a lot of Montalvo on FLO and have been impressed. I think he could turn out better than some expect.

I had heard Coleman is probably going to OU. Nothing definitive there, just something I heard. I know the Curry kid from Choctaw already signed with them I believe. I may be confusing the too.

Anybody know what Snyder’s weight runs for collegiate matches? He seems to match up strength wise and still get down to 213.8.He is a freak though.

Snyder supposedly weighs 225-230. I believe this year he'll have to make 97 kg the first day and 99 kg the second day. Next year he'll need to make 97 kg flat on both days with no allowance.

I'm going to post this just for whatever it's worth and whoever's interested and will probably stay off here going forward because as @Wrassler17 pointed out maybe I am muddling some of my personal thoughts with some of yours and I really don't and didn't intend to do that. I have a write up coming out this week that elaborates a little more on recruiting over the next few years, but here's how I see it.

I think most know barring injuries OSU has long term solutions at 125 or 133 with Fix and 141 or 149 with Gfeller. Also 74-84 with Wittlake, HWT with Kerkvliet and 74-84 and even maybe 97 with Montalvo. I did an interview with him this week and he told me he plans to be an 84, but if the team needed him to cut to 74 or go up to 97 he would. I don't know how that would go, but realistically I think Wittlake-74, Montalvo-84. It was nice to hear his willingness to bounce around if needed though. I've said it on here before I believe, but I really do think Montalvo could be better than some expect.

With that you need a few small to mid size guys and a 197.

With 3 world medalists on the future roster I think they'll really only have the $ to push for maybe 2 superstar types and the rest will be patchwork to fill the gaps. I know quite a few juniors graduate next year, but I really don't think they're big money guys and you've already got Kerkvliet slotted to use up some of it. White and Smith are transfers and local kids, Weigel wasn't a big time recruit out of high school. Rogers maybe uses up the most and I'm not 100% certain he uses up a ton of money. He was a big national recruit, but maybe with his brother here and family moving here they didn't have to use up as much on him? I could be wrong there.

With that I think your Kurt Mchenry's and some of the other national guys that are still out there for 2019 are a pipe dream. They pulled some rabbits out of their hat with Kerkvliet and WIttlake that I never would have expected and maybe there's something I'm missing, but I just don't see anything to me that indicates anything with any big name recruits outside of this part of the country.

I think they stay local with the 2 big national recruits they push for and throw a lot of money at in 2020. I think they really go hard after Plott and Ferrari hoping Plott stays down at 65 and Ferrari fills out 197. I know Texas isn't necessarily "local", but when you consider we're the only big program near it sort of is. There's a lot of evidence to support that they already are pushing for these two even though they technically can't do a ton at this point with official visits, calls, etc... I elaborate on some of it in my write up.

One other kid I wrote on a while back is Jesse Vasquez out of California. I do think OSU is at least going to give him a shot because he could fill a void at the lower weights, he's not already tied to the Big 10 area, etc... but I don't see it as likely as Ferrari/Plott. Maybe him and Montalvo are buddies and that will get him here? It would be great, but I don't think they'll push as hard for him as they will the other 2. Perry did mention some good Cali wrestlers being in the Ironman and he was the best one there, so I do think there's at least something to it, but I don't find it very likely.

I wrote this the other day, but I do have it on good authority that OSU is working to continue the NEO-OSU pipeline similar to what we've seen with Smith/Andrews. Before Kerkvliet and White's weight jump the Andrews brothers were the plan to fill out HWT for the next few years. Kendon Lee I believe could be one of those 49-57. I think there's upside there that we're currently seeing shown because spending half his wrestling life in Louisiana he just didn't have the coaching or push from other guys to make him into a good wrestler. He's getting it now. Potential for maybe one or 2 others from NEO.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/could...ution-to-fill-future-holes-in-the-osu-lineup/

You'd still need a few lower weights to plug in. It may have been said here, but I think Steidley from Tuttle could be one they'd try to get here. I don't think he's flashy enough for them to offer much scholarship money and he'll probably go wrestle for his dad at UCO, but I think he'll get D1 offers, so maybe they will. Matt Surber's kid Luke is one that could be a decent fill in at the lower weights. I think Colt Newton from Choctaw is a kid they'll try to get to walk on or maybe they'll throw a little money at him, books or something, but like I said I don't really see any big national names for those lower weight. Too much money spread around at other weights and your big names that you have the best shot at IMO are at 165 and 197 simply because of geography, so I think that's where they push.

Konner Doucet from Commanche is a name I'd watch out for to fill 197 if we miss on Ferrari. I think the Cowboys will still pursue him even if they do get Ferrari, but doubt they'll throw much money at him unless Ferrari goes somewhere else. I think they try and get Marchiselli here, but I don't think they'll offer him much, if any money. As I've prodded around and tried to dig for info I think they're aiming mostly at Ferrari and now see Doucet as a good contingency plan if they can't bring in Ferrari leaving them in a place where they Marchiselli isn't a major need even though he is local. Again they're still trying to get him here, but they won't be throwing much money at him.

To wrap all that up basically I think the Cowboys are throwing everything they got at Ferrari, probably looking at his brothers and thinking long term. I think they'll throw a lot at Plott too. That will fill out a really good group of upper weights and we'll still have a few years of Fix/Gfeller at the lower weights with what IMO will be a patchwork bunch of JUCO/local guys surrounding them because I just don't connect the dots to where any big national names could be coming here, but I think they'll be able to at least get a few serviceable guys via NEO or by maybe developing an underrated kid in the room.

Obviously you should do whatever you believe is best. But from my end, when I wrote that I would "move on", I meant it. I try not to beat dead horses (ok, I probably I do about our RTC "strategy") and I don't hold grudges.

Clearly there's a lot of gray when it comes to message boards and blogs. I'm still a newbie when it comes to that world (been posting for less than a year). I could very well have been mistaken regarding some points that I made. Certainly hope I was.

This place is for Cowboy supporters to gather, share info & opinions, discuss, debate, and disagree. It is not my intention to detract from that in any way.

Go Pokes

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT