ADVERTISEMENT

It's March MATness

chasepollard

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2005
As a flagship program, this board should be more active during this time of the year. I'm pumped, and after doing my brackets, we have a shot at this. Likely, no...but possible.

With my brackets I have:

Picc-3
Fix-1
Brock-R12
GFeller-7
Smith-6
Smith-4
Geer-8
Weigel-3
White-1

Obviously, it's March and that won't happen...but it's March! PSU falters at any weight (I've got 57 and 97 with pins all the way through) we can win it! I had resigned to chasing runner-up, but I think we can chase a Title.

We need Brock to make a run on the backside. We need Joe yo beat Marinelli or make a run (it's laid out) on the backside and Geer to beat Reenan and make a smaller run. That's it! Those things happen and a few things fall our way, we can send shockwaves!

I love the enthusiasm....I love to watch this team wrestle. Obviously we are the underdogs but I have seen crazier things happen. If is a crappy way to start an argument but if a few things happen we could pull it out. If a few things happen we could have 10 all americans and still not win it. Either way I will be rooting my arse off....Go Pokes

Reactions: AtownPoke
Well, I used that interactive bracket posted and completed my bracket. I didn't even realize it was keeping track of team scores and when I clicked that tab, it had us as champs. I figured with Nolf and Nickal scoring 54 points by themselves, we have no shot. But, I've got Lee, Berge and RBY getting picked off without scoring a ton of points, but still going pretty far. Then I've got Hall at runner-up, Cenzo getting upset in the semis, Sheed getting upset and White beating Cassar.

For that to happen, it has to get wild...and it could! For us to win, we've got to have Brock, Joseph and Geer make solid runs!

So, the premise of this thread is to discuss these weights and the probability or scenarios that could occur.

I am excited to see how things turn out. Picc will have a tough draw with Glory and Lee on his side, but Lee is no lock to make it to the semis, as he's been vulnerable this year. I absolutely believe he can win it all. What a story that would be... from a non-AA season to National Champ!

Fix got a break in that most of the tough outs are on the bottom side, but he has the guy who gave him his only loss on his side of the bracket. Hopefully we see Fix get to his offense a little more and score some points against the tougher guys.

I believe that Gfeller, if healed, can make a good run and finish above seed. His funk will give guys fits.

I am cautiously optimistic about Joe. He didn't have a good showing at Big 12s. I don't think that is indicative of his talent level, and I think he can beat Marinelli. Even if he does, the path of the 1-seed there is pretty tough. It will be tough to AA at this weight, but I believe Joe can do it.

I'm hoping Geer can do well at 184. I believe he might be underseeded and could make a run. I think he has a good shot to beat Reenan in R1 and make the quarters against Rasheed. How Rasheed got the 2-seed here is beyond me. This might be one of the weaker weights and give Geer a good chance to make a run. I think he'll finish in the R12.

Weigl got gifted the 3-seed in my opinion, but I'll take it. We need him to rack up back points and bonus. I think he'll finish 3rd.

Just my opinion and can't wait to watch the Pokes in action next weekend!

PokeGrad, I agree on all topics here.

For the team to win it, let's discuss 25. This is one weight that PSU doesn't get to score. In my bracket, I've got Picc catching an upset to Fausz and making a run to 3 on the back...similar to Coleman in 05. His tourney is chalk full of bonus points. He can provide 15 points and PSU getting none.

133, Fix wins it with one tech in his tourney and he adds 19 points to our team score. RBY goes 2-2 earning 4 points.

141 will tell the story. If Lee makes a showing this year, the team title is wrapped up. I've got both Kaid and Lee ending their season at the blood round going 3-2 with 5 team points.

49 should benefit us if G gets by Lugo. Again, Berge cannot place and G has to better his 7 seed. Is he healthy? Is his mind right?

57, PSU gets 27 points here, we got screwed out of a few points here, maybe just 2.

65 is a major deal. I think, and actually have Smith beating Bull. Either way, the backside path is setup for a run after the 1st round match, whoever the loser is. It's like the seeding committee decided the one seed needed an easier path to AA than other seeds instead of an easier path to the finals. I say Joe gets us 12 points here and Cenzo gets 14.

74, I have Lewis winning. I having Jacobe getting 4th. Hall is runner-up and PSU out points us here, but not by much. 14 to 16

84, similar to above. If Geer gets by Reenan, and get to Sheed. If he gets by him, that's HUGE, if he doesn't, he has to make AA. No clue how this shakes out.

197, PSU gets 27 here and we get 16

285, we get 19 and they get 14.

I'll have to look at my bracket again and see how I got it to where we win, but this tally is 118-121 PSU. That is so tight, this could be fun! It's not good to wish ill on people but I hope RBY, Lee and Berge have to watch the tourney like the rest of us as soon as possible and the other three guys not at 57/97 don't wrestle to seed.

I watched the big twelve finals and didnt think we wrestled all that hot other than 174 197 and hvt. Pic, fix, and G all struggled against kids they should beat easily. Close matches at nationals will get someone picked off and we are then done. Nice to at least have a punchers chance going in.

I watched the big twelve finals and didnt think we wrestled all that hot other than 174 197 and hvt. Pic, fix, and G all struggled against kids they should beat easily. Close matches at nationals will get someone picked off and we are then done. Nice to at least have a punchers chance going in.

Picc kept pressing and his opponent didn’t do anything but try not to get bonuses.

Bridges is a guy who may AA at 133. I believe he is underrated and could make a run. He was game for his match against Fix and looks like he doesn’t back down no matter who is on the other side.

Chase, I don’t share your optimism at 74. Jacobe is a really good at that weight, but those top 4 are really good in Hall, Lewis, Valencia, and Amine. I see a 6th or 7th from Cobe. Good thing here is that Hall keeps matches close (his bonus % is lower this year than years past), but at Nationals it seems like all PSU wrestlers look for bonus. Amine is 0-4 against Hall in his career, each match was a 1-point decision. If it’s close, Amine can pull the upset.

In an ideal world Boo and Preston stay healthy because I think G and Joe would of both gone down earlier and would be top 4-5 seeds at those weights and we would be discussing a legitimate team NC race.

PSU is just a bear this year. I think they have 4 champs and think Lee, Rasheed and Cassar finish top 4. That is just to much to overcome.

I do think OSU asserts themselves this year as the next major threat to PSU's reign.

Reactions: PokeGrad05
Picc kept pressing and his opponent didn’t do anything but try not to get bonuses.

Bridges is a guy who may AA at 133. I believe he is underrated and could make a run. He was game for his match against Fix and looks like he doesn’t back down no matter who is on the other side.

Chase, I don’t share your optimism at 74. Jacobe is a really good at that weight, but those top 4 are really good in Hall, Lewis, Valencia, and Amine. I see a 6th or 7th from Cobe. Good thing here is that Hall keeps matches close (his bonus % is lower this year than years past), but at Nationals it seems like all PSU wrestlers look for bonus. Amine is 0-4 against Hall in his career, each match was a 1-point decision. If it’s close, Amine can pull the upset.

4 isn't crazy optimistic.

I also agree about keeping stuff too close.

Chase will you be in Pittsburgh? I'm chomping at the bit as i always am at this time of the year. ........So youre saying there's a chance??.....

4 isn't crazy optimistic.

I also agree about keeping stuff too close.
Working on my brackets now but not as optimistic. I am not seeing a champion even though we have two #1's. Fix is in the toughest bracket of the tournament. He has been my favorite wrestler in the last few years both in high school and college and freestyle and I would rarely count him out of a match but it will be a challenge and I see one loss and a 3rd place finish. I also see Gable Steveson as the champ at 285 with White finishing as AA. Gfeller did not show me he was healthy in the Big 12 and maybe outside the top eight. Pic in the finals but losing to Rivera. Weigel could definitely make the finals but I see no one close to Nickal. I do not see Joe Smith as a placer and same goes for Kaid and Geer. Jacobe Will AA but this is a top heavy bracket and do not see him higher than 5th or 6th. I would like to put back on my orange colored glasses but no one is going to be close to Penn State this year. I see us as a third or fourth place finisher which is still much better than last year and I believe we will be better next year and in two years we will be back as one of the annual favorites. I hope I am way too pessimistic in my predictions but this is the realistic Obe this year. However, talk to me the day the tournament starts and I may see three or four champions and a first place team finish.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Working on my brackets now but not as optimistic. I am not seeing a champion even though we have two #1's. Fix is in the toughest bracket of the tournament. He has been my favorite wrestler in the last few years both in high school and college and freestyle and I would rarely count him out of a match but it will be a challenge and I see one loss and a 3rd place finish. I also see Gable Steveson as the champ at 285 with White finishing as AA. Gfeller did not show me he was healthy in the Big 12 and maybe outside the top eight. Pic in the finals but losing to Rivera. Weigel could definitely make the finals but I see no one close to Nickal. I do not see Joe Smith as a placer and same goes for Kaid and Geer. Jacobe Will AA but this is a top heavy bracket and do not see him higher than 5th or 6th. I would like to put back on my orange colored glasses but no one is going to be close to Penn State this year. I see us as a third or fourth place finisher which is still much better than last year and I believe we will be better next year and in two years we will be back as one of the annual favorites. I hope I am way too pessimistic in my predictions but this is the realistic Obe this year. However, talk to me the day the tournament starts and I may see three or four champions and a first place team finish.

LETS GO POKES!!!
Obe, have you been hanging out with Harley‽

Obe, have you been hanging out with Harley‽
Kudos to Harley for bringing "the other side of the story" to our board. I bet if you total up all Harley and my predictions I think he might be the winner. This has been a strange year in many ways but one thing has been steady and that is Penn State is just dominant. I think you have to start there and just admit that and then maybe that puts me in a more pessimistic mode overall. I still see us in the top five at Nationals and since we were not top 15 last year it is a huge improvement. We do lose our two top weights next year but looks like John is securing more than adequate replacements. It is hard to say wait two years particularly at my age but from what I know and hear about that is when we are on an even playing field with Penn State.I would have been much more optimistic if Boo had not gotten hurt and Weigel would have wrestled all year and the weights below him could have stabilized. It is also very damaging when a two time All-American (Brock) looks only average when he goes up a weight. I think that is due to three things, 1. He is a small 141;2. He has been injured and may still be injured, and 3. He has lost both confidence and some desire.(Some of this confidence and desire can be explained by not being able to train as hard due to injury). Gfeller has had to step up to 149 and does not yet have the strength at this weight. Hopefully, another year with the weights will help this. Then you have Joe who sat out a year due to injury and then could or would not get back to the training, weight loss and again that word, DESIRE to go with his skills. We do not and can not know the whole story on this but for whatever reason he took the year off. In the normal scheme of things he would not lose to someone of the caliber of Romero and he would be in the mix to place high at 165.. I do not see this happening in a week. Jacobe has done everything right from what I hear and he definitely has the confidence and strength if not the wrestling skill of a Joe Smith and he is definitely a sleeper to place high at 177. It is not Preston's fault he was injured but he happens to be in the weight where the most dominant wrestler of the tournament is located. I will be there cheering on every Cowboy wrestler at every weight and I hope this dark cloud of pessimism, foreign to my psyche will be lifted. There are two wrestlers who deserve to win and definitely the most improved and that would be the anchor weights Piccinnini and White and it would be great to see them both stand atop the podium.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Chase will you be in Pittsburgh? I'm chomping at the bit as i always am at this time of the year. ........So youre saying there's a chance??.....

No, I've got a 9 month old(as of today actually) and it wasn't in the cards. I'd like to start taking him, so I plan on going back yearly starting in Minny.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Yeah, too pessimistic for at this juncture of March.

I have Picc getting upset, but making a Coleman run.
I have Fix winning it, I don't think he lets Philippi stay in the match and his rematch with suriano will be boring, but he takes him down twice and wins 5-3.
I have Kaid making a decent run, but it's really a toss-up with Parker...we will see.
G has a tough draw, but low AA is borderline likely assuming he's healthy.
If Joe loses to Marinelli, his march to AA is relatively easy.
Jacobe is a guy I don't bet against, he will be in the conso finals
Geer beats an injured Reenan and has to only pull one upset after that to AA
Weigel at 3
Dhesi beats Gable and White beats Cassar.

Anything can happen in March and PSU got such sweet draws, the Wrestling gods have to punish them. We have an outside shot, and a legit shot if everything goes to MY picks.

Reactions: knoblock
Kudos to Harley for bringing "the other side of the story" to our board. I bet if you total up all Harley and my predictions I think he might be the winner. This has been a strange year in many ways but one thing has been steady and that is Penn State is just dominant. I think you have to start there and just admit that and then maybe that puts me in a more pessimistic mode overall. I still see us in the top five at Nationals and since we were not top 15 last year it is a huge improvement. We do lose our two top weights next year but looks like John is securing more than adequate replacements. It is hard to say wait two years particularly at my age but from what I know and hear about that is when we are on an even playing field with Penn State.I would have been much more optimistic if Boo had not gotten hurt and Weigel would have wrestled all year and the weights below him could have stabilized. It is also very damaging when a two time All-American (Brock) looks only average when he goes up a weight. I think that is due to three things, 1. He is a small 141;2. He has been injured and may still be injured, and 3. He has lost both confidence and some desire.(Some of this confidence and desire can be explained by not being able to train as hard due to injury). Gfeller has had to step up to 149 and does not yet have the strength at this weight. Hopefully, another year with the weights will help this. Then you have Joe who sat out a year due to injury and then could or would not get back to the training, weight loss and again that word, DESIRE to go with his skills. We do not and can not know the whole story on this but for whatever reason he took the year off. In the normal scheme of things he would not lose to someone of the caliber of Romero and he would be in the mix to place high at 165.. I do not see this happening in a week. Jacobe has done everything right from what I hear and he definitely has the confidence and strength if not the wrestling skill of a Joe Smith and he is definitely a sleeper to place high at 177. It is not Preston's fault he was injured but he happens to be in the weight where the most dominant wrestler of the tournament is located. I will be there cheering on every Cowboy wrestler at every weight and I hope this dark cloud of pessimism, foreign to my psyche will be lifted. There are two wrestlers who deserve to win and definitely the most improved and that would be the anchor weights Piccinnini and White and it would be great to see them both stand atop the podium.

LETS GO POKES!!!
I think we wrestle for second. If my predictions are close to right we will take second but they are much more positive than I usually make. Probably still excited about Iowa dual and Big 12 Championship. Is first possible yes but it would take a miracle( wrestling gods). If we took first I would vow not to write a negative post for a year. I think Pic takes 3rd like Chase indicates but he is beat in the semi's by Lee.. Fix takes first. Kaid has wrestled poorly all year and so I can not pick him to place. G takes 6th ( Hope he gets healthier and wrestles better than at Conference. I will pick Joe to place 7th and bounce back from Conference. I like Jacobe to take 5th and Geer to not place. I pick Weigel to take second with continued improvement this 10 days since conference. Then I pick White to take second. That would be seven all American's with 3 finalists and 1 champion. That would be an outstanding tournament for us but still no match for Penn. St. without a couple of big upsets that they lose. They are seeded for 7 All American's with 6 of them being finalists with 3 champions and more bonus then we can get.

Reactions: oberebo
So Penn st has the top 2 wrestlers in noff and nickel regardless of wt this yr.when was the last time the top 2 wrestlers were on the same team?

So Penn st has the top 2 wrestlers in noff and nickel regardless of wt this yr.when was the last time the top 2 wrestlers were on the same team?

The last several years of PSUs run. Retherford, Taylor, etc.

Other than that 2005 OSU?

Reactions: BrettOSU17
The most difficult part of finding a path for Oklahoma State to beat Penn State is that the Nittany Lions have been better than any other team at outperforming their seeds since Cael arrived. The Cowboys have a ton of potential as has already been discussed in this thread and I can't wait to see it. If it ends up that 3 Pokes make the finals and 5 others AA (6 is certainly possible) I'll be extremely pleased with the performance. If Penn State still wins it, I'll tip my cap. The NCAA tournament is weird in that some years you can win it with less than 100 points. Other years, scoring 100 flat will get you 3rd or 4th. We'll know by the end of Session III if the team race is in play or if Penn State is rolling. My money would be in them being well out in front by then, but what fun is that for a message board topic?

yes. And I hope he is up to it. On my poor brackets, I have 6 all americans, and team in 2nd. Hopefully, either Joseph or Kaid can make a backside run.

So, Picc, Fix, GFeller, Smith, Weigel and White...or Geer?

That's an interesting question. What would the criteria be - Hodge voting? Dominance? The 2 guys generally thought to be the best?

Last year I think Zain & Nickal were the top 2 vote getters although Snyder was the best IMO (even with the Coon loss). If you go back to 2014, I think Taylor & Stieber were the top 2 vote getters even though a case could be made for Ruth (Stieber & Ruth both took loses that year).

Milhoff is out at 125. Will they redraw the brackets? Might end up getting Picc out of the second round matchup with Fausz.

Reactions: osu2082
If everything went chalk, based on seeding, we would get second by a slight hair. According to seeding there is a big drop off after us and Ohio State. Of course you could argue our advantage for second is a lot bigger since Smith, Smith and Greer are way underseeded.

That being said chalk ain't happening but it is fun to see where things stand.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6401588-ncaa-tournament-team-scoring-based-on-seeds

Looks like it will bump Fauz to Lee Thursday night. Good news for Picc.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Looks like it will bump Fauz to Lee Thursday night. Good news for Picc.

Confirmed as the NCAA just sent out the new bracket. Bump 15-33 up a spot and add Trey Chalifoux (Army) as the new 33. Picc's second round, assuming a first round win, is the winner of Elijah Oliver (Indiana) and Zeke Moisey (Nebraska).

IMO
Highly likely to AA- Picc, Fix, jacobe Smith, Weigel, and White- I think these are our best guys to make some noise.

50/50- Gfeller and Geer- I would put Gfeller up there, but how healthy is he? Hasn't been the same since cranked on in the Northern Iowa dual. For Geer, it comes down to match-ups in the consolation roads (cliche I know)

Unlikely to AA- Brock & Joe Smith- I think Brock simply isn't ready for 141. He's a shell of himself compared to being at 133. For joe, I think the move to 165 is a little too late. I say this, but maybe the light switch comes on for these two and they both wreck havoc. After, they're both two time AA's, and know how to wrestle in a tournament like this.

Here's to hoping everyone AA's!!!!

ringer and heil were pretty close to top 2

2016 senior Dieringer & soph Heil. Undefeated Hodge winner & a 1 loss champ. Not too shabby.

How does that duo compare to 2013 JO & Perry? Senior JO was undefeated and lit guys up all year. Junior Perry took a loss or two in the regular season I believe, but then won that tough 174 bracket as the #1 seed.

Or how about 2005 Pendleton & Mocco?

Some good ones.

2016 senior Dieringer & soph Heil. Undefeated Hodge winner & a 1 loss champ. Not too shabby.

How does that duo compare to 2013 JO & Perry? Senior JO was undefeated and lit guys up all year. Junior Perry took a loss or two in the regular season I believe, but then won that tough 174 bracket as the #1 seed.

Or how about 2005 Pendleton & Mocco?

Some good ones.

i was thinking 2014 perry and ringer
but damn that year was loaded

Reactions: Wrassler17
IMO
Highly likely to AA- Picc, Fix, jacobe Smith, Weigel, and White- I think these are our best guys to make some noise.

50/50- Gfeller and Geer- I would put Gfeller up there, but how healthy is he? Hasn't been the same since cranked on in the Northern Iowa dual. For Geer, it comes down to match-ups in the consolation roads (cliche I know)

Unlikely to AA- Brock & Joe Smith- I think Brock simply isn't ready for 141. He's a shell of himself compared to being at 133. For joe, I think the move to 165 is a little too late. I say this, but maybe the light switch comes on for these two and they both wreck havoc. After, they're both two time AA's, and know how to wrestle in a tournament like this.

Here's to hoping everyone AA's!!!!
Basicly, in my very pessimistic post I was close to these predictions. I indicated five AA's with Kaid,Kaden,Joe and Geer not making it. Those five are going to have to place higher than I predicted and I would put Pic at 2nd, Daton 1st or second,Weigel 3rd and White in the finals but taking 2nd. Jacobe is going to have to wrestle lights out to place 4th. The top four above him are very good.

Kaid and Joe have brutal back sides to make it to an AA. Really tough draws for them once they get knocked down.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Kaid and Joe have brutal back sides to make it to an AA. Really tough draws for them once they get knocked down.

65 isn't that bad until blood round for Joe. Then I think I've got him against a pretty good guy. Tough road, yes, but he's a contender if he's right in the head and he's got a gas tank.

It's probably been said somewhere but where is the NCAA televised; ESPN, ESPN3?

Date Time (ET) Session Networks Number of ESPN3
Mat Feeds

Thur, Mar 21
12 – 3:30 p.m. First Round ESPNU/ESPN3 Eight Mats
7 – 10:30 p.m. Second Round ESPN/ESPN3 Eight Mats
Fri, Mar 22
11 a.m. –2 p.m. Quarterfinals ESPNU/ESPN3 Eight Mats
8 p.m. –11 p.m. Semifinals ESPN/ESPN3 Six Mats
Sat, Mar 23
11 a.m. –2 p.m. Medal Round ESPNU/ESPN3 Three Mats
6:30 –7 p.m. Off the MatPregame Show ESPN3 N/A
7 –10 p.m. Championship ESPN/ESPN3 One Mat
Approximately 10 p.m. Off the MatPostgame Show ESPN3 N/A

Reactions: JustAnotherPoke
65 isn't that bad until blood round for Joe. Then I think I've got him against a pretty good guy. Tough road, yes, but he's a contender if he's right in the head and he's got a gas tank.

He has White/Ashworth right before the blood round. I would probably actually pick him over Ashworth this time around if he looks good the prior matches but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT